PDA

View Full Version : John McCain said something that blew my mind...

BladeOfAnduril
07-20-2011, 07:55 AM
As I was driving home Monday, I was listening to talk radio. The Michael Medved show was on. Michael is not a RP friend, so I'm not really a fan, but it was on anyway. He had John McCain on and they were talking about the debt ceiling. Toward the end of the interview Michael asked McCain if he would consider going back at least in part to a gold standard. McCain responded by saying that 6 months ago he would not, but now he would look into it. He also volunteered that he is unhappy with the Fed and wants more Congressional oversight of the Fed.

How long has Ron Paul been pushing gold and auditing/abolishing the Fed???

I could not believe the words I was hearing coming out of my car speakers.

VBRonPaulFan
07-20-2011, 07:57 AM
he'd only think about it because he never has before. mccain has a two track mind. fightin' wars regardless of who they're with, and the word 'maverick'.

Bern
07-20-2011, 08:00 AM
He feels the political winds changing. He felt the wrath of the Tea Party with a very tough re-election campaign recently. He has to be more sensitive to his constituents now.

tangent4ronpaul
07-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Excuse me - I need to scrape my jaw off the floor..... :eek:

jackers
07-20-2011, 08:07 AM
John "TARP" McCain complaining about the Federal Reserve policy. That's classic...

specsaregood
07-20-2011, 08:08 AM
As I was driving home Monday, I was listening to talk radio. The Michael Medved show was on. Michael is not a RP friend, so I'm not really a fan, but it was on anyway. He had John McCain on and they were talking about the debt ceiling. Toward the end of the interview Michael asked McCain if he would consider going back at least in part to a gold standard. McCain responded by saying that 6 months ago he would not, but now he would look into it. He also volunteered that he is unhappy with the Fed and wants more Congressional oversight of the Fed.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, I'm sure he'll want to get advice from some members of the President's Working Group on Financial Markets first. :)

sailingaway
07-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Listening to McCain is bad for you.

I recommend against it.

qh4dotcom
07-20-2011, 08:30 AM
John "TARP" McCain complaining about the Federal Reserve policy. That's classic...

He did become a co-sponsor of the Audit the Fed bill...as well as Lindsey Graham.

fisharmor
07-20-2011, 08:32 AM
he'd only think about it because he never has before. mccain has a two track mind. fightin' wars regardless of who they're with, and the word 'maverick'.

I would list the two tracks as the same two tracks every other elected official has:
1) Staying in power
2) The good of the party (see #1)

Bern hit the nail on the head.

erowe1
07-20-2011, 08:33 AM

Recall in 2007 how McCain unabashedly admitted in a Republican debate that he knows little about economics and would rely on others to guide his policy decisions in that. He's a reed shaken by the wind. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him advocate mutually contradictory positions all over the map, especially when he's answering a question off the cuff.

Sola_Fide
07-20-2011, 08:34 AM
He feels the political winds changing. He felt the wrath of the Tea Party with a very tough re-election campaign recently. He has to be more sensitive to his constituents now.

This. It's the same as Obombya talking tough about troop withdrawals before election time.

Unelected
07-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Listening to McCain is bad for you.

I recommend against it.

I thought that too until I read this article he wrote: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/bin-ladens-death-and-the-debate-over-torture/2011/05/11/AFd1mdsG_story.html

He's still dead wrong about the US foreign policy and probably couldn't pass Econ 101, but he's right on a few things.

jmdrake
07-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Everybody wants to co-opt Ron now except on foreign policy. And last year there were a lot of republicans trying to co-opt Ron on foreign policy. But none of them are going to say "You know what? That Dr. Paul guy was right all along".

Sweman
07-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, I'm sure he'll want to get advice from some members of the President's Working Group on Financial Markets first. :)
eeh... Phil Grammm... eeh... Pete Peterson... eeh... sunshine...

fisharmor
07-20-2011, 08:49 AM
I thought that too until I read this article he wrote: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/bin-ladens-death-and-the-debate-over-torture/2011/05/11/AFd1mdsG_story.html

He's still dead wrong about the US foreign policy and probably couldn't pass Econ 101, but he's right on a few things.

Assuming, of course, that he actually wrote that.
Plus, the man is pretty well known for saying something, getting captured on video or audio saying it, and then stating the exact opposite a week later when he realizes what a dick it makes him look like, and steadfastly stating that he never said it (despite said recorded proof).

Sometimes he even does it in the same article:

can’t we all agree that the most obvious thing we can do is stand as an example of a nation that holds an individual’s human rights as superior to the will of the majority or the wishes of government?
All of these arguments have the force of right, but they are beside the most important point. Ultimately, this is more than a utilitarian debate. This is a moral debate. It is about who we are.
I don’t mourn the loss of any terrorist’s life. What I do mourn is what we lose when by official policy or official neglect we confuse or encourage those who fight this war for us to forget that best sense of ourselves. Through the violence, chaos and heartache of war, through deprivation and cruelty and loss, we are always Americans, and different, stronger and better than those who would destroy us.

How the hell do you reconcile these statements with each other?
1) We're better than them
2) We're stronger than them
3) We have a superior morality that involves individual rights
4) We need not to cry about it when we kill them
5) (But for some unexplained reason, torturing them isn't ok)

Bottom line is that he doesn't see these people as human at all, and individual rights aren't anywhere on his moral compass.
He's made the tiniest of mental leaps to reason that since bad shit happened to him in a torture chamber, we shouldn't do that to other people.
But he can't make the mental leap that gets him to the point where bombing weddings is a bad idea.
This is a hallmark of a defective intellect. The man isn't capable of making moral judgments about whether McDonalds got his order right, and he should be nowhere near any power over society.

FreedomProsperityPeace
07-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Listening to McCain is bad for you.Looking at him isn't too good, either. I feel ill whenever I see that albino toad. :p

bunklocoempire
07-20-2011, 10:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StHwAffUNxo

;)

Bunkloco

AZKing
07-20-2011, 10:37 PM

If you say so. He beat Hayworth and Glassman a good bit and he barely even campaigned. I doubt he'll run in 2016.

KingRobbStark
07-20-2011, 10:47 PM
That idiot is like leaf changing in accordance with the wind. He's a parrot with nothing to offer.

Bern
07-21-2011, 06:53 AM
If you say so. He beat Hayworth and Glassman a good bit and he barely even campaigned. I doubt he'll run in 2016.

I'm in Texas, so maybe I'm not as up to date on what went down as a local, but I do remember the stories from the primary:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?219937-Election-2010-Arizona-Senate-GOP-Primary-McCain-45-Hayworth-43

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?232992-McCain-quot-tilts-right-quot-for-Arizona-GOP-Senate-primary

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?240533-JD-Hayworth-within-5-points-of-McCain

evilfunnystuff
07-21-2011, 03:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE96K01YO24

josh b
07-21-2011, 04:16 PM
This bandwagon might break from all these people jumping on it at one time.

This isn't surprising on McCain's part. Fed shenanigans are becoming more important to the voters now. It's on many people's minds.

He still doesn't know anything about economics.

Watch
07-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Assuming, of course, that he actually wrote that.
Plus, the man is pretty well known for saying something, getting captured on video or audio saying it, and then stating the exact opposite a week later when he realizes what a dick it makes him look like, and steadfastly stating that he never said it (despite said recorded proof).

Sometimes he even does it in the same article:

How the hell do you reconcile these statements with each other?
1) We're better than them
2) We're stronger than them
3) We have a superior morality that involves individual rights
4) We need not to cry about it when we kill them
5) (But for some unexplained reason, torturing them isn't ok)

Bottom line is that he doesn't see these people as human at all, and individual rights aren't anywhere on his moral compass.
He's made the tiniest of mental leaps to reason that since bad shit happened to him in a torture chamber, we shouldn't do that to other people.
But he can't make the mental leap that gets him to the point where bombing weddings is a bad idea.
This is a hallmark of a defective intellect. The man isn't capable of making moral judgments about whether McDonalds got his order right, and he should be nowhere near any power over society.

Well, you're right about Mccain, he's an idiot but you could be off on your argument with this point:

When he actually says we, as the nation---the national interest--- we should uphold the rights on the individual, might he mean the nation? Then he says I do not weep for the death of a terrorist he doesn't mention we, as the nation---the national interest---we should not weep for the death of a terrorist, might he mean his personal view? It's confusing anyway one looks at it(because it is Mccain), but what I mean is that is the kind of straw man that liberals use against RP on his stance on evolution. Nonetheless, Mccain's track record is obviously shifting and RP's is NOT.

HOLLYWOOD
07-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Toward the end of the interview Michael asked McCain if he would consider going back at least in part to a gold standard. McCain responded by saying that 6 months ago he would not, but now he would look into it.translated, "I Don't Know... I will have to check with my Owners for a canned response later"
He also volunteered that he is unhappy with the Fed and wants more Congressional oversight of the Fed. TRANSLATION: I've been in Congress 30 years and now I mention the FEDERAL RESERVE because of it's very popular subject by a majority of Americans, so yes I pander to populism."

DamianTV
07-21-2011, 06:34 PM
McCain? Economy? The two do not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence together.

Remember THIS?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKO7BxNNhMk