PDA

View Full Version : "Dr. No." To the rescue

Ranger29860
07-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Ok seriously wtf?

http://news.yahoo.com/dr-no-debt-rescue-060200384.html

"Coburn’s role as a Senate middleman is one of the most surprising developments in the entire messy debt standoff. Not only is he one of the most conservative members of Congress, he’s earned the nickname “Dr. No” for his history of stalling, stopping, or blocking more than 500 bills—including, for a time, a bill to compensate 9/11 first responders. This, naturally, has infuriated some of his colleagues. George Will once called him “the most dangerous creature that can come to the Senate, someone simply uninterested in being popular.”"

Romulus
07-20-2011, 06:37 AM
I emailed the Daily Beast and suggest everyone do so as well. That is a bunch of crap.

specsaregood
07-20-2011, 06:48 AM
I emailed the Daily Beast and suggest everyone do so as well. That is a bunch of crap.
About what? They've been referring to Coburn as Dr. No as well for a number of years now.

Ranger29860
07-20-2011, 07:07 AM
About what? They've been referring to Coburn as Dr. No as well for a number of years now.

I was not aware of that. I just saw the article got excited and was instantly pissed when this joker came up instead of Paul :P.

specsaregood
07-20-2011, 07:09 AM
I was not aware of that. I just saw the article got excited and was instantly pissed when this joker came up instead of Paul :P.

Yeah, since his first term:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/11/AR2006021101024.html

The Senate's Dr. No
By George F. Will
Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Senate, which fancies itself the world's most exclusive club, has its Sir John Hawkins. He was the 18th-century musicologist whom Samuel Johnson called "a very unclubbable man." The very unclubbable senator is Oklahoma's Tom Coburn, 57, a freshman Republican whose motto could be: "Niceness is overrated."

Coburn is the most dangerous creature that can come to the Senate, someone simply uninterested in being popular. When House Speaker Dennis Hastert defends earmarks -- spending dictated by individual legislators for specific projects -- by saying that a member of Congress knows best where a stoplight ought to be placed, Coburn, in an act of lese-majeste, responds: Members of Congress are the least qualified to make such judgments....

Romulus
07-20-2011, 11:29 AM

I was not aware of that....

I though they were stealing RP's thunder again...