PDA

View Full Version : People really need to NOT use joke names to donate it costs the campaign money

sailingaway
07-20-2011, 12:36 AM
because they have to pay the transaction fee and they have to send the money back, which also costs money.

I just saw 'Sean Hannity' on the ticker, and someone tweeted a screen shot of 'Barrack Obama' on the ticker. As with when 'Aqua Buddha' donated to Rand, this just costs the campaign money.

dannno
07-20-2011, 12:39 AM
How much does it cost the campaign?

If the joke is it worth it to the person, and they've donated substantially more than that, I guess they are paying for it right?

AdamT
07-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Saw Bernanke too lol.

trey4sports
kids will be kids.

on that note, i saw Richard Morris and Mitt Romney donated too

sailingaway
But the campaign also has to have a person sift through it. Yes at some level you could probably say you paid for it, but it seems rude, to me.

...I'm picking up that the forum is not terribly troubled by it, however....

smartguy911
07-20-2011, 12:44 AM
I just saw Sean Hannity too. I think it depends on the merchant when doing the refund. If they have a good deal with a merchant, they might not end up paying any fees. If they do pay a fee for a return, I am guessing around 0.30 cents. Not sure if they still get charged a % + transaction fee for a return??

AdamT
07-20-2011, 12:44 AM
I think this is a dude on Facebook doing this. He keeps posting "alright...watch for it" and will call out the name beforehand. Funny yes, but extra paperwork for the campaign treasurer.

MJU1983
07-20-2011, 12:48 AM
I saw two separate ones for Mitt Romney, one in MA and one in CA...seems silly to me why anyone would do that.

fearthereaperx
07-20-2011, 01:12 AM
Fees are most likely refunded.

dannno
07-20-2011, 01:28 AM
Well in comparison, cone-ing is the latest hipster internet sensation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WygNjMSllLQ

http://i54.tinypic.com/2ewdxzs.jpg

Harry96
07-20-2011, 01:47 AM
I just saw a George W. Bush from California on the ticker.

Texan4Life
07-20-2011, 01:57 AM
I just saw a George W. Bush from California on the ticker.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2dciwqt.jpg

Dr.3D
07-20-2011, 02:07 AM
Hey, maybe those names are real and it's a sign they all concede, Ron is the best person to be President.

If not, yeah... that pretty juvenile behavior.

RonPaulFanInGA
07-20-2011, 02:15 AM
http://c0013869.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_743e857

http://c0013869.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_743e14e

http://c0013869.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_743d9df

http://c0013869.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_743d72e

http://c0013869.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_743d4e1

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
07-20-2011, 02:40 AM
All of these names were also used during the last campaign's MB's. It was funny the first time but has since lost it's punch.

MelissaWV
07-20-2011, 04:15 AM
From what I understand, the donation costs money to process (PayPal processes it and the fee attaches before anyone sifts through the names). Then the donation has to be found, and then it has to be returned.

It seems like these people are also donating a dollar, which has previously been noted to be a wash.

I will point out that many people did not get their donation screenshot, most likely due to high volume when they donated. With fake names clogging the ticker, it only made it worse.

It's inconsiderate and juvenile, but I can't think of any way to stop it.

steph3n
07-20-2011, 05:39 AM

don't display names....

No Free Beer
07-20-2011, 05:45 AM
I'll admit, I put "Mitt Romney" and spent 1 dollar for it (which was my second donation). But I payed it back, by donating $5.00 (which was tech. my third donation), with my real name, for my stupidity.

scrosnoe
07-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Set a minimum online donation -- whatever makes sense to reduce this nonsense.

Exponent
07-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Set a minimum online donation -- whatever makes sense to reduce this nonsense.
A minimum donation to get your name on the ticker, at least. It'd be nice for even $5 donations to be allowed and make it to the campaign, but you need $20 for example to get your name on the ticker.

Carehn
07-20-2011, 07:36 AM
how do you all know its not really them?

brenton
07-20-2011, 07:47 AM
how do you all know its not really them?

lol. why would it be them? they suddenly turned around and started loving liberty and sound money?! i think not. :P

Carehn
07-20-2011, 07:48 AM
lol. why would it be them? they suddenly turned around and started loving liberty and sound money?! i think not. :P

Never give up hope. Romney is a closet RP fan.

Napoleon's Shadow
07-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Yes PLEASE don't do this.

This is very time consuming for the campaign to go and sort through. It costs money, it takes time, and it wastes resources. It's a bad idea even though it's funny.

RonPaul101.com
07-20-2011, 07:52 AM
But the campaign also has to have a person sift through it. Yes at some level you could probably say you paid for it, but it seems rude, to me.

I think this should be taken seriously, we don't want to cause more overhead for the campaign. We are all a spirited bunch and our passion helps us maintain our course during these campaigns, but when it comes to money (the true business side of our effort) we need to show that we are to be taken seriously. Ron Paul is raising serious amounts of money and we all hate when the media makes our effort into a joke, so why would we want to do it to ourselves?

Danke
07-20-2011, 07:52 AM

Oops, sorry. I guess I got carried away yesterday:

Dick Mahogany, Heywood Jablome, Dick Gozinya, Ben Dover, Hugh E. Rection, Phil McCracken, Eileen Dover, Hugh Johnson, Pat McGroin, Hoof Hearted, I.M. Hung, Emerson Bigguns, Jack Mehoff, Dick Hertz, Milaiki Likiaholi, Jacques Strap, Mike Oxbigg, Mike Hunt, Norma Stitz,

I should have just stuck with: Richard Head

reduen
07-20-2011, 07:57 AM
What a bunch of control freaks we have in here! lol

True story, I am a Christian Conservative and my brother is either an atheist, agnostic, buddhist etc... (Really, I can't keep up...) He thinks that I am so stuck up for my obedience to my faith but everyone that knows us both (friends and family..) see's that he is really one of the most intolerant people that we know. He is the only one who does not see it....

How about if you are going to make a prank name donation, you are banned from rpf? :rolleyes:

reduen
07-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Total contributions = $590,000.00/Total returned contributions = $5,000.00 I will take that every day! No, I did not prank name donate......

Edit: Wait... I forgot how much it cost our campaign in credibility.. lol
Funny thread, thanks for the laugh this morning!!

UtahApocalypse
07-20-2011, 08:06 AM
You may not agree with me but I hope the Campaign tracks down the person who was doing this.seems to be mostly one person as the location is Yuba City, Ca. this IS FRAUD!! and is a criminal activity that should be prosecuted. It costs the campaign time, money, and resources to correct it.not only that it could create bad media, or even an issue with the FEC.

The easiest solution to it.... You can only post the name on your credit card. If you use Paypal, or another "unverified" method of payment then minimum $25.00 to get your name on the banner.

reduen
07-20-2011, 08:14 AM
You may not agree with me but I hope the Campaign tracks down the person who was doing this.seems to be mostly one person as the location is Yuba City, Ca. this IS FRAUD!! and is a criminal activity that should be prosecuted. It costs the campaign time, money, and resources to correct it.not only that it could create bad media, or even an issue with the FEC.

The easiest solution to it.... You can only post the name on your credit card. If you use Paypal, or another "unverified" method of payment then minimum $25.00 to get your name on the banner.

Heck yeah, throw them under the jail for this right next to all of those dancers and skateboarders.....! Get em... get em....

Danke
07-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Heck yeah, throw them under the jail for this right next to all of those dancers and skateboarders.....! Get em... get em....

At least tase 'em. And post it on YouTube.

reduen
07-20-2011, 08:20 AM
At least tase 'em. And post it on YouTube.

Nice....

Come on folks, they might just be teenagers or something. Who even knows...

sailingaway
07-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Fees are most likely refunded.

Why would they be?

sailingaway
07-20-2011, 08:22 AM
http://c0013869.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_743e857

http://c0013869.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_743e14e

http://c0013869.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_743d9df

http://c0013869.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_743d72e

http://c0013869.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_743d4e1

That is a really bad idea.

enoch150
07-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Back in 2007 I was looking through SEC reports and saw one of my friends had listed his occupation as "Tax Slave" when he donated. That's the designation I've used both times I donated this time around.

sailingaway
07-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Well, they have to use best efforts on occupation, and if it is under $200 they don't need it, but if you end up doing more than that, it could be an issue.

FunkBuddha
07-20-2011, 09:49 AM
It would be nice if the campaign would add a check box to use your real name on the ticker or use an alias. That way we could use forum handles if we wanted.

enoch150
07-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Well, they have to use best efforts on occupation, and if it is under $200 they don't need it, but if you end up doing more than that, it could be an issue.

I don't consider "tax slave" to be incorrect (this was under occupation, not employer). And yes, it was over $200.

dannno
07-20-2011, 10:31 AM
It would be nice if the campaign would add a check box to use your real name on the ticker or use an alias. That way we could use forum handles if we wanted.

You mean let people use their real name so they can donate and then let them use a fake name for the ticker bar if they want to make a joke so it doesn't clog up their system?

Nah, let's throw 'em in jail :rolleyes:

angelatc
07-20-2011, 11:06 AM

That's because they've never actually had to sort through the data. But if the campaign isn't matching the credit card name to the donor name as part of the verification process, they're asking for trouble anyway.

sailingaway
07-20-2011, 11:19 AM
I don't consider "tax slave" to be incorrect (this was under occupation, not employer). And yes, it was over $200.

Well, for occupation, it might be fine. And, as you say, accurate.

libertybrewcity
07-20-2011, 12:02 PM
The campaign can use my donation to fund the refund transaction fees. This is hilarious!

MelissaWV
07-20-2011, 04:58 PM
What a bunch of control freaks we have in here! lol

True story, I am a Christian Conservative and my brother is either an atheist, agnostic, buddhist etc... (Really, I can't keep up...) He thinks that I am so stuck up for my obedience to my faith but everyone that knows us both (friends and family..) see's that he is really one of the most intolerant people that we know. He is the only one who does not see it....

How about if you are going to make a prank name donation, you are banned from rpf? :rolleyes:

How about if you do things that cost the campaign time and money for your own giggles, you get scowled at? That's what folks are talking about. Someone already had a great idea (minimum donation to see your name on the ticker). That's what discussion does.

There are laws and guidelines and other things that have to be followed during a campaign. I guess Ron's a control freak for trying to actually get elected by the rules? These just make no sense and clog up the ticker for others, who sometimes don't get to see their name at all, and cost the campaign time and money.

KCIndy
07-21-2011, 10:43 PM
But if the campaign isn't matching the credit card name to the donor name as part of the verification process, they're asking for trouble anyway.

I was wondering how people were managing to do the "fake name" thing. Most times when I've used a credit card, the name on the card had to match the name being given for the purchase. Seems like that should be an automated comparison, and relatively simple to do.

While we're at it, I'll second the idea of having a minimum donation to get one's name listed on the ticker. Seems like by doing those two things, most of this stuff could be quickly and easily halted.

Keith and stuff
07-21-2011, 10:47 PM
because they have to pay the transaction fee and they have to send the money back, which also costs money.

I just saw 'Sean Hannity' on the ticker, and someone tweeted a screen shot of 'Barrack Obama' on the ticker. As with when 'Aqua Buddha' donated to Rand, this just costs the campaign money.

Very good point. Thank you for bring this issue up.