PDA

View Full Version : The Next Moneybomb -- August or September?

Paul4Prez
07-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Should we proceed with the next planned money bomb on August 20th (Ron Paul's birthday), followed up by the Constitution Day money bomb (September 17th), or cancel the August money bomb to allow the September money bomb time to build?

Nate-ForLiberty
07-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Cancel! ...damnit

Rocco
07-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Give the grassroots some time to re-up. September.

Corydoras
07-19-2011, 10:01 PM
August, so at least they can plan on definitely having a certain amount of money.

RonPaulFanInGA
07-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Gotta finish first at Ames or it's over regardless.

Can't skip Ron Paul's birthday though.

The Dark Knight
07-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Hold until Constitution day

Restore-America-NOW
07-19-2011, 10:03 PM
October.

harikaried
07-19-2011, 10:05 PM
What's wrong with the one in August? If anything it should be soon after the Iowa Straw Poll win while it's fresh in people's minds.

MJU1983
07-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Either would be okay as they are both Saturday's...I say Constitution Day would be better, if we have one at all. I bet Dr. Paul would feel a little embarrassed by a birthday moneybomb.

Corydoras
07-19-2011, 10:14 PM
They should be every month so that the campaign can count on a relatively steady amount of cash to plan on, rather than feast and famine.

truthdivides
07-19-2011, 10:14 PM
I think RP's birthday will work very well if he gets first at Ames, if not, wait until Constitution day. I do understand that it is impossible to organize these with conditions on them. I think we have to act as though Paul will win and continue to ride the momentum. We don't have time to be passive.

Paul4Prez
07-19-2011, 10:16 PM
October.

October is in the 4th quarter, though. We definitely need at least one good money bomb before September 30th (the end of Q3). My question is will we raise more money (and get better press) with one (presumably) bigger bomb on 9/17, or with two bombs, on 8/20 and 9/17?

itsnobody
07-19-2011, 10:16 PM
We should have one right before the Ames Iowa straw poll

Austin
07-19-2011, 10:18 PM
What's wrong with the one in August? If anything it should be soon after the Iowa Straw Poll win while it's fresh in people's minds.

This is pretty important. We will need to capitalize on the victory in Ames.

Corydoras
07-19-2011, 10:19 PM
They need as much money as they can get as soon as possible. There should be no holding off. When you get emails from the campaign, there is a donate button on it. They want money as soon as they can get it.

harikaried
07-19-2011, 10:20 PM
We should have one right before the Ames Iowa straw pollWhat's the purpose of that?

Restore-America-NOW
07-19-2011, 10:21 PM
October is in the 4th quarter, though. We definitely need at least one good money bomb before September 30th (the end of Q3). My question is will we raise more money (and get better press) with one (presumably) bigger bomb on 9/17, or with two bombs, on 8/20 and 9/17?

Then how about another End of Quarter Push? Today proved that we can't have a bunch of moneybombs every 3 weeks and hope for success. Even with the month of promotion for Ready, Ames, Fire, we still raised only half of what was raised on Debate Day. Give people some time to save up.

We should have one right before the Ames Iowa straw poll

That was the point of today's moneybomb.

Corydoras
07-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Then how about another End of Quarter Push? Today proved that we can't have a bunch of moneybombs every 3 weeks and hope for success. Even with the month of promotion for Ready, Ames, Fire, we still raised only half of what was raised on Debate Day. Give people some time to save up.

Today WAS a success. The campaign wanted $500k and we are over 110% of that with hours to go. They gave us the mark to hit and we gave them even more! that IS success.

trey4sports
07-19-2011, 10:26 PM
If we win Ames i believe we will attract a bunch of new donors, and we will also be having a end of quarter push around late september so i don't think a constitution day moneybomb makes as much sense logistically as a birthday moneybomb even though a birthday moneybomb might attract the wrong attention to Ron.

libertybrewcity
07-19-2011, 10:28 PM
I say we plan for September and maybe have a 250ker in August for Ames

truthdivides
07-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Constitution Day could be the start of a 10-day end of quarter push.

afwjam
07-19-2011, 10:43 PM
end of quarter push in september. The campaign is going to need money after ames, and we should capitalize after a successful straw poll. So we should do Ron Paul birthday bomb on Aug 20th!

Jeremy Tyler
07-19-2011, 10:52 PM
August 20th after Ames to capitalize on his momentum. Then sep 17th - sep 30th for end of the quarter push.

afwjam
07-19-2011, 10:59 PM
August 20th after Ames to capitalize on his momentum. Then sep 17th - sep 30th for end of the quarter push.

+rep

sailingaway
07-19-2011, 11:02 PM
I think a birthday moneybomb would give media to his age more than the money. He will need one at the end of the quarter, we just learned that, regardless of what else we have. But something in the works, at least, with graphics up when people start looking at us after the Ames straw poll would be a good idea. Whether we have the next one in August or not, I don't really care, unless he is short of cash. But if we do one the 17th of September just know there will have to be another end of quarter push, most likely, just a couple of weeks later.

Yes, I like this. We can use Constitution day as the beginning of the end of quarter push -- and call it that, not a money bomb.

afwjam
07-19-2011, 11:05 PM
I think a birthday moneybomb would give media to his age more than the money. He will need one at the end of the quarter, we just learned that, regardless of what else we have. But something in the works, at least, with graphics up when people start looking at us after the Ames straw poll would be a good idea. Whether we have the next one in August or not, I don't really care, unless he is short of cash. But if we do one the 17th of September just know there will have to be another end of quarter push, most likely.

I don't think it matters, they already focus on his age. We either convince people Ron Paul is right or not, age will not be the stumbling block. Might as well embrace it, milk Ron Paul supporters heart strings by celebrating something personal like his birthday. He is going to be 75 right? Why not give the good Dr. a 75 dollar birthday present!

ForLiberty2012
07-19-2011, 11:07 PM
I personally think we should all hold out until November 5th again ..... start a savings account now for it!!! We'll blow it up bigger than last time!

Paul4Prez
07-19-2011, 11:10 PM
I personally think we should all hold out until November 5th again ..... start a savings account now for it!!! We'll blow it up bigger than last time!

We need to have big numbers in Q3 though -- by September 30th.

truthdivides
07-19-2011, 11:10 PM

The money is needed now. The purpose of these is to get Dr. Paul the money he needs sooner than later. The purpose is not to make new records. The novelty wore off after the 07/08 cycle. If the records come, very cool, but new records are not the purpose of the money bombs this time.

Nate-ForLiberty
07-19-2011, 11:11 PM
I don't think it matters, they already focus on his age. We either convince people Ron Paul is right or not, age will not be the stumbling block. Might as well embrace it, milk Ron Paul supporters heart strings by celebrating something personal like his birthday. He is going to be 75 right? Why not give the good Dr. a 75 dollar birthday present!

no.

god no.

It would behoove all of you to do a forum search and read ALL of the moneybomb discussions that occurred earlier this year. You are going over ground that has already been covered ad nauseum.

kill the banks
07-19-2011, 11:12 PM
i think sooner is better ... whatever you call it ron needs dollars to win early

AJ Antimony
07-19-2011, 11:14 PM
How about plan on having the money bomb in September, but then if we win Ames we can have one both in August and September.

Nate-ForLiberty
07-19-2011, 11:15 PM
enough with the moneybombs.

KCIndy
07-19-2011, 11:15 PM
The money is needed now. The purpose of these is to get Dr. Paul the money he needs sooner than later. The purpose is not to make new records. The novelty wore off after the 07/08 cycle. If the records come, very cool, but new records are not the purpose of the money bombs this time.

YES!

This is exactly the case. I'm afraid too many people are getting wrapped up with the "let's set another record!" fervor and are forgetting that the goal here is to WIN, not to set records.

The campaign needs the money NOW. If all we want to do is set records with some moneybomb in December, we're going to lose. It's that simple.

afwjam
07-19-2011, 11:18 PM
YES!

This is exactly the case. I'm afraid too many people are getting wrapped up with the "let's set another record!" fervor and are forgetting that the goal here is to WIN, not to set records.

The campaign needs the money NOW. If all we want to do is set records with some moneybomb in December, we're going to lose. It's that simple.

YES! +rep

Corydoras
07-19-2011, 11:20 PM
YES!

I agree! The campaign needs as much money as possible as soon as possible!

sailingaway
07-19-2011, 11:20 PM
YES!

If we win Ames, it should be better publicity than another moneybomb. This cycle we are getting media differently, is all, and funding the campaign more effectively, but also differently.

gosmo
07-19-2011, 11:25 PM
I understand that people feel like we cannot raise substantial amounts of money on August 20th, but we must not forget that records and media attention are not what these money bombs are for anymore. These money bombs are solely for the funding of the campaign. The campaign needs money as soon as possible. August 20th is a month away. We pulled 1 million in May and then exactly one month later we pulled another million. One month is long enough to wait. The campaign needs funding NOW and we cannot wait until September solely because the August one might not be as big. September can be used as an end of the quarter push.

Bryan
07-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Yes, I like this. We can use Constitution day as the beginning of the end of quarter push -- and call it that, not a money bomb.
I like that. Maybe have a theme-of-the-day for the different Articles and Amendments in the Bill of Rights- so on Sept 30 we celebrate the 10th Amendment, etc. :)

Yes, they need the money now, so if you have it, donate now. If you want to participate in money bombs, then do that. Free market.

I still question if August 20th is too soon at this point to get something very well organized- an extra week or two may help. There's also a split on the birthday theme, it will be hard for the campaign to embrace that over others, IMO. I like the idea of a no more bail-outs, or maybe something to do with the debt ceiling-- play off of the current political issues.

I also say a no-go on 11-5, since it will also be hard for the campaign to embrace, we should do Veterans Day on 11-11-11.

No money bombs in October, since it will be too soon after the end of quarter push, or too close to 11-11.

Just my $0.02.

Paul4Prez
07-20-2011, 11:10 PM
We all agree the campaign needs as much money as possible, as soon as possible. Everyone who can give now should do so, without waiting for a future moneybomb.

That being said, the moneybombs clearly work. The question is how to make them work better, and what strategy will maximize our Q3 numbers. Please vote in the poll.

Paul4Prez
07-20-2011, 11:11 PM
We all agree the campaign needs as much money as possible, as soon as possible. Everyone who can give now should do so, without waiting for a future moneybomb.

That being said, the moneybombs clearly work. The question is how to make them work better, and what strategy will maximize our Q3 numbers. Please vote in the poll.

PaulConventionWV
07-20-2011, 11:51 PM
YES!

Why not set records? I thought the purpose was to give Ron Paul more money, not less. These minibombs every 2 or 3 weeks is killing our donations. We need to wait before the next one. Have we not learned anything over the last 3 months?

Constitution Day pros:
1) Great theme. Everyone will be willing to give for the Constitution. I think this has the potential to have the appeal of another Tea Party bomb.
2) Gives people time to save up. If anything, we need to learn to stop being obsessive-compulsive about the moneybombs and stop abusing them. Yes, Ron needs money now, but he HAS money now. We will keep giving until Constitution Day if we can, but we are nowhere near tapped out on donations, and having a huge moneybomb day, IMO, would outweigh any negative effects of waiting.
3) It capitalizes on the depth of our donor base. We can't expect to abandon moneybombs and still tap out our resources as much as possible. This is a big moneybomb that would allow us to tap out much of our base and keep the campaign funded. I don't think it's too late, since it's only less than a month apart from the August 20th one. It's potential to make big bucks encourages people to spend as much as they can and will help us get as much out of our base of donors as we possibly can before moving into the fourth quarter which I believe will be big no matter what.
4) The added press coverage for raising a lot of money on this well-themed, well-timed moneybomb will only help.
cons:

1)doesn't capitalize on Ames momentum. Of course, this is if we win. We had better, and that's all I have to say about that. Personally, I think either of them will capitalize on the Iowa success, but I think the Constitution Day bomb is better because it gives us a little bump in donations after the victory at Ames and then a well-timed super moneybomb right in the middle of the month only a few days before our end-of-the-quater push, which is, of course, balls to the wall at that point.

August 20th pros:

1) Ron's birthday. Woot. But seriously, the age question is not attention we need to be getting for ourselves. It's just not a good idea.
2) It capitalizes on Ames success. See above about capitalizing on this. Either will work, but Constitution Day is better.

August 20th cons:

1) Ron's age problem. 'Nuff said. We don't want to make that a central issue in any event.
2) All it does is focus on the man, not the idea. That's why the Constitution Day serves the purpose so much better. It focuses on the idea. That was the thing about the two major moneybombs in the last election cycle. They focused on the idea. Let's not get all sentimental and lose that core value. Always focus on the right thing to do and make that the theme. Doing a birthday bomb is going a bit too far in my opinion.
3) It's too soon. We should have learned that we can't just keep doing these bombs willy-nilly and hither-thither as if we had no sense of self-control and couldn't stop doing moneybombs in the interest of a much more logical date like September 17th to encourage people to save and go big.

Don't eliminate the moneybombs, don't discourage them. Don't act like we need to have one every 2 weeks. It just won't work. It won't raise enough money, and the added press coverage can't hurt. Constitution Day is the best day. Count on it and pass it on.

Also, keep in mind that, in 2007, we didn't have ANY moneybombs until freakin' november. September is plenty early and serves the purpose quite well.

Paul Or Nothing II
07-21-2011, 01:06 AM
How about plan on having the money bomb in September, but then if we win Ames we can have one both in August and September.

Ditto.

A win in Ames is a MUST & when we win it then it must be milked immediately while people's memory is fresh, it might also get some of the Ron Paul supporters from the last cycle, who are sitting on the fence right now, to donate as well if they realize that this time things are going to be different & their hopes are re-ignited.

PaulConventionWV
07-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Ditto.

A win in Ames is a MUST & when we win it then it must be milked immediately while people's memory is fresh, it might also get some of the Ron Paul supporters from the last cycle, who are sitting on the fence right now, to donate as well if they realize that this time things are going to be different & their hopes are re-ignited.

I never understood this. Why do you think people will forget something a month after it happened? If they were that shallow, then they weren't real supporters in the first place.

RonPaul101.com
07-21-2011, 07:33 AM
I would say not on his birthday,seemingly he doesn't like this stuff to be "about him" its "about the cause, about the campaign for liberty".

pauladin
07-21-2011, 07:34 AM
birthday bomb so we can capitalize on the hype after an ames victory!

PaulConventionWV
07-21-2011, 05:23 PM
birthday bomb so we can capitalize on the hype after an ames victory!

No. September 17th is best.

trey4sports
07-21-2011, 05:29 PM
No. September 17th is best.

no, it's really not.

Why would have a moneybomb within a couple of weeks of the end of quarter push? it makes no sense at all.

a mid august moneybomb with a end of quarter push in late september is better positioned to bring in money than a moneybomb within a couple weeks of the end of quarter push.

Paul4Prez
07-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Why would have a moneybomb within a couple of weeks of the end of quarter push? it makes no sense at all.

A mid-September moneybomb that is a big success will get a lot of attention, and drag in new donors for the end of quarter push.

Make the pledges $100, like for the Nov. 5th 2007 moneybomb, and keep track of them on the moneybomb website.

Paul4Prez
07-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Looks like 9/17 is winning on both major polls. There was a very successful end of quarter push in December 2007, right after the six-million-dollar 12/16 Tea Party anniversary money bomb, so the closeness to the end of the quarter shouldn't be a concern. A big, exciting money bomb will actually draw new people into donating at the end of the quarter, as happened four years ago.

Paul4Prez
07-27-2011, 12:00 PM
9/17 beats 8/20 head-to-head. Let's start promoting it.

Lymeade-Lady
07-27-2011, 12:07 PM
So, has the campaign given any hint of their preference to more or fewer big ones? I'd guess they'd say more b/c the quarter totals seem more impressive than a single event, but I don't know.

libertybrewcity
07-27-2011, 12:44 PM
I don't agree with a Birthday Bomb. This campaign shouldn't be about Ron Paul, it should be about getting his conservative/libertarian ideology elected, right?

Paul Or Nothing II
07-27-2011, 01:28 PM
I don't agree with a Birthday Bomb. This campaign shouldn't be about Ron Paul, it should be about getting his conservative/libertarian ideology elected, right?

I agree, it also unnecessarily brings attention to his age, the MSM would've a field-day REPEATEDLY stating "his 76th birthday, if he becomes president then he'll be the oldest one to take office at 77"; NOT good when one considers that a lot of people ALREADY have this belief that "he's too old".

But I do think we should cash on Ames victory so may it should be couple of days after Ron wins the Ames straw poll, there's good chance that we will win it & we shouldn't let the opportunity go begging. His victory might create a lot of enthusiam & a lot of the Ron Paul supporters from 2007 who've on the fence so far might join in & donate & it might also convince "I like him but he can't win" people that Ron CAN win big events & they might donate too so we MUST have one after Ames but NOT on Ron's birthday.

Just my two cents.

MelissaCato
07-27-2011, 01:37 PM
I have 84 and 87 year old men riding a racehorse beside me during training hours.

WTF is the problem with his age again ?

kotetu
08-23-2011, 10:02 AM
So, next the 17th (Constitution Day) right? :D