PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant idea, please read, this might be a game-changer for Ron Paul!

Patriot123
07-19-2011, 09:53 PM
I just got this idea a minute ago. We do moneybombs. We do moneybombs over the course of 24 hours. Has anyone EVER toyed with the idea of a one-hour, or three-hour moneybomb blitz? Even if we have, imagine the impact of such an event if it's successful -- us raising $50,000 in such a short period of time. The media has heard tons about million-dollar plus moneybomb events. But what about Ron Paul's campaign raising $50,000 in a single hour? That would be something that no media outlet could let go as a story. I seriously want to do this. I want feedback, and I want to get this off the ground. I have website-building know how -- all I need is people to a) give feedback, b) help get this off the ground if it's a decent idea. Anyone? PM me, please, in addition to posting in this topic. If you don't think this plan is viable because of the difficulty of getting everyone to donate in the same one or three hours, think -- we can have text message and email reminders, we can do quite a bit to make this work.

Nubraskan
07-19-2011, 10:04 PM
I have a feeling 50k in an hour has been done before, if it wasn't done today.

Corydoras
07-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Obama and Romney have certainly done this.

Patriot123
07-19-2011, 10:06 PM
You get the idea, though. $100,000 in an hour, $200,000 in an hour. Just anything -- I think it would hold the potential to make headlines the same way our first and second moneybombs did way back in '08. This is possible.

EDIT: how much have they raised?

RileyE104
07-19-2011, 10:06 PM
I'd rather see $250,000 in an hour.

Just saying... It would be awesome to have the media reporting "Paul campaign raises a quarter of a million dollars in ONE hour!"

EDIT: Organizing for such an event would be a tremendous task though.. We would also have to make it to where each time zone is donating at the same time.

specsaregood
07-19-2011, 10:07 PM
You mean the minibomb? We've done that here.

Patriot123
07-19-2011, 10:07 PM
So $250,000 in one hour. But yes, exactly! The media would NOT be able to ignore this -- if we're lucky they'd treat it the same way as our first two moneybombs.

EDIT: oh, really? ah, that sucks. I thought I had something going here. How much did it raise? Was it the same sort of thing -- a one hour moneybomb?

svobody
07-19-2011, 10:08 PM
So... Ron Paul Power Hour?

It would be interesting.

mit26chell
07-19-2011, 10:10 PM
On 12-16-2007, the money bomb was bringing in over $400,000 /hr for the first hour, and the lowest amount/hr it dropped to for the rest of the day was just over $50k, so we'd need to raise substantially more than $50k to catch much attention.

This is a decent idea though, and I think we should definitely try it out. It can't hurt anything, just more money flowing to the campaign.

Patriot123
07-19-2011, 10:10 PM
mit26 -- absolutely.

Does anyone want to get on-board for this with me? Please, please, please PM me!

mit26chell
07-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Ron Paul Power Hour or Ron Paul Happy Hour ;)

Patriot123
07-19-2011, 10:12 PM
I actually like the name Ron Paul Power Hour =D lol. It's catchy. "Ron Paul Power Hour Moneybomb." We just need a date! What would work?

Corydoras
07-19-2011, 10:12 PM
I think it is not the most efficient use of organizing energy.

Patriot123
07-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Corydoras -- howso? Think of the media-attention we'd get. It's not like we'd be draining any resources of the campaign. Worst comes to worse (which it wont), we're just raising more money for the campaign. Best case scenario, we get a story on CNN and probably a ton of more people who will start to view Ron Paul as a viable candidate.

Bergie Bergeron
07-19-2011, 10:17 PM
I like it.

Corydoras
07-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Corydoras -- howso? Think of the media-attention we'd get. It's not like we'd be draining any resources of the campaign. Worst comes to worse (which it wont), we're just raising more money for the campaign. Best case scenario, we get a story on CNN and probably a ton of more people who will start to view Ron Paul as a viable candidate.

It may not take resources from the campaign, but it takes resources from us in terms of attention. And I honestly don't think it is noteworthy enough to get media attention, not when Romney has already had a $10 million day.

Restore-America-NOW
07-19-2011, 10:23 PM
How about a one minute moneybomb? :p

Patriot123
07-19-2011, 10:26 PM
It may not take resources from the campaign, but it takes resources from us in terms of attention. And I honestly don't think it is noteworthy enough to get media attention, not when Romney has already had a $10 million day.

Romney didn't raise $10 million in a day, he got pledges of $10 million. I think there's a huge difference between raising an enormous amount of money in a single day, and raising an insane amount of money in a single hour. I disagree with it distracting us -- I think that implies that it isn't worthy of any attention at all, which isn't true. Any decent cause is worth our attention. Plus, how much is it really going to take for the average supporter to donate $10 in a single day? If we do this right, it won't be a distraction but something to help us. I think because of the position we're in, we can use any media attention that we can get. We need to garner the same kind of attention that we did in '08. Do you remember how many people were not only impressed, but astounded at how much we raised last year -- that, what was it, $4 million moneybomb? People couldn't believe it. We need to capture that same sort of mood again this year. And THIS is the way to do it, I know it.

Corydoras
07-19-2011, 10:29 PM
I disagree with it distracting us -- I think that implies that it isn't worthy of any attention at all, which isn't true. Any decent cause is worth our attention.

Blimp.

trey4sports
07-19-2011, 10:31 PM
mit26 -- absolutely.

Does anyone want to get on-board for this with me? Please, please, please PM me!

I'm not one to go for this type of out-of-the-box thinking but i like it. I do have feedback though...

1. you MUST get in touch with the campaign because a huge 1 hour blitz would crash their servers if they haven't planned for it.

2. promotion would be difficult, but it might be ok to test out next month seeing as i doubt the grassroots will organize another moneybomb for this next month. Something to align with Ron's birthday since im guessing we wont have a moneybomb that day.

3. i would suggest 8pm CST as a good donation time since it would probably be the most agreeable hour between all the time zones.

Patriot123
07-19-2011, 10:31 PM
delete -- double post, by accident.

Patriot123
07-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Blimp.

Oh come on, what about it? You're referring to the RP blimp from last year, right? I think that went fairly well. I didn't pay much attention unfortunately, but it seemed like it was a decent idea that got some attention. Media attention, too, if I remember correctly. Even if there were any problems with it, this moneybomb won't.

I'm not one to go for this type of out-of-the-box thinking but i like it. I do have feedback though...

1. you MUST get in touch with the campaign because a huge 1 hour blitz would crash their servers if they haven't planned for it.

2. promotion would be difficult, but it might be ok to test out next month seeing as i doubt the grassroots will organize another moneybomb for this next month. Something to align with Ron's birthday since im guessing we wont have a moneybomb that day.

3. i would suggest 8pm CST as a good donation time since it would probably be the most agreeable hour between all the time zones.

Absolutely. I all ready thought of that -- it wouldn't be a problem for the campaign so long as they're prepared, I think. If Obama and others can do it, we most certainly can. And perhaps. We just need a date! Any ideas?

EDIT: And 8PM CST sounds like a good time.

Corydoras
07-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Oh come on, what about it? You're referring to the RP blimp from last year, right? I think that went fairly well. I didn't pay much attention unfortunately, but it seemed like it was a decent idea that got some attention. Media attention, too, if I remember correctly. Even if there were any problems with it, this moneybomb won't.

Um, no. It tied up some of our most talented people, and a heck of a lot of money, for months on end for very little return. You didn't pay much attention and nobody else did either - if it had worked, you would have been paying attention.

So you're going to do your thing. But you claimed to want feedback, so I gave mine. Now you know what I think.

Patriot123
07-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Um, no. It tied up some of our most talented people, and a heck of a lot of money, for months on end for very little return. You didn't pay much attention and nobody else did either - if it had worked, you would have been paying attention.

So you're going to do your thing. But you claimed to want feedback, so I gave mine. Now you know what I think.

I don't like giving up. Everything can have some obstacles, I think. Maybe you're right, or maybe this could work. But you're right, I did ask for feedback, and you gave yours. Thanks for your input!

Maximus
07-19-2011, 10:49 PM
What would the most ideal time be? 9pm EST? Everyone would be home

Patriot123
07-19-2011, 10:53 PM
I think 9EST is the best time -- 9EST, 8CST. Like you said, most people would be home at this hour. I think the key thing we need to get this to work is a way to text message everyone: three hours before, two hours before, one hour before, and finally the hour of.

trey4sports
07-19-2011, 10:54 PM
What would the most ideal time be? 9pm EST? Everyone would be home

yeah thats what i suggested earlier.

Patriot123
07-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Hey, also -- I think we need a new word. In all honesty, too. The word moneybomb is great, but if we call this a moneybomb, I feel like it just won't have the same effect on the media. We need something that's similar, but not too different. Hour Moneybomb, Power Hour Bomb, Power Hour Moneybomb, something. If we just call this another moneybomb, they have that much more of a reason to shrug this off. Flash Moneybomb, perhaps?

Maximus
07-19-2011, 11:01 PM
"Ron Paul's Power Hour"

Patriot123
07-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Hmmm. Should we just exclusively call it that, then? Perhaps have that as our slogan? So do this, maybe: advertise it as a "Flash Moneybomb," have the slogan be "Ron Paul's Power Hour," and then, of course, elaborate on what the concept behind this is. Or something different?

sailingaway
07-19-2011, 11:06 PM
I'd rather see $250,000 in an hour.

Just saying... It would be awesome to have the media reporting "Paul campaign raises a quarter of a million dollars in ONE hour!"

EDIT: Organizing for such an event would be a tremendous task though.. We would also have to make it to where each time zone is donating at the same time.

How fast does the ticker go? It has blanked out to NaM NaM a couple of times even on regular money bombs.

WorldonaString
07-19-2011, 11:26 PM
This idea is simple in principle but does have the potential to be wildly effective...seems to me it'd be easier to promote to friends and family on the fence....its such an interesting concept that more people would be likely to spread it on facebook etc...The story creates an opening for us to approach people with our candidate. I see the curious factor of waiting all day for that hour to strike as a big draw....people who may not otherwise click a link, may join in and watch the one hour spectacle just to see whats up, then the fun factor kicks in and next thing you know they're joining the cause of liberty!

trey4sports
07-19-2011, 11:28 PM
again, i would stress getting a hold of the campaign because a ticker that can keep up in a wild enviorment would be a big deal as well as making sure their servers wont crash.

Patriot123
07-19-2011, 11:37 PM
again, i would stress getting a hold of the campaign because a ticker that can keep up in a wild enviorment would be a big deal as well as making sure their servers wont crash.

I'll be contacting them tomorrow morning. I'm starting on the website now. :D

WorldonaString -- excellent point! I think advertising on Facebook would also be key for this. We'd need to hype it up an awful lot, and target people who are on the fence most definitely.

Also -- we need a date! It would be excellent if we could do August 12th, the day before the Iowa Straw Poll. We might be able to sway a few people, y'know? The only problem, of course, is that leaves us with very little time to get the word out. Quite literally, nearly none. Sort of wondering if it would be better to aim for a date later on.

Corydoras
07-19-2011, 11:41 PM
we need a date! It would be excellent if we could do August 12th, the day before the Iowa Straw Poll. We might be able to sway a few people, y'know? The only problem, of course, is that leaves us with very little time to get the word out. Quite literally, nearly none. Sort of wondering if it would be better to aim for a date later on.

Since you're going to be talking to the campaign tomorrow, ask them what they think would be a good date.

scrosnoe
07-19-2011, 11:51 PM
Ron Paul Power Hour or Ron Paul Happy Hour ;)

Love both!

WorldonaString
07-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Power Hour, Happy Hour, Flash Bomb, I'm not sure whats best to finally promote it as. But no matter the choice, there's nothing that would stop local restaurants, pubs etc...from joining in on the fun with Ron Paul Happy Hours. ;-) I wanna see the graph skyrocketing on the HDs at my favorite sports bar (to go along with fantastic happy hour discounts of course)!

Corydoras
07-20-2011, 12:09 AM
I wanna see the graph skyrocketing on the HDs at my favorite sports bar (to go along with fantastic happy hour discounts of course)!

In Xiamen, China?

WorldonaString
07-20-2011, 12:23 AM
In Xiamen, China?

Well, anythings possible. haha But I'm going home to Illinois for the entire month of August, so there's my personal bias on a time for this event. :D

trey4sports
07-20-2011, 12:26 AM
I'll be contacting them tomorrow morning. I'm starting on the website now. :D

WorldonaString -- excellent point! I think advertising on Facebook would also be key for this. We'd need to hype it up an awful lot, and target people who are on the fence most definitely.

Also -- we need a date! It would be excellent if we could do August 12th, the day before the Iowa Straw Poll. We might be able to sway a few people, y'know? The only problem, of course, is that leaves us with very little time to get the word out. Quite literally, nearly none. Sort of wondering if it would be better to aim for a date later on.

What about possibly doing it the day after or even one week after the straw poll (Ron's birthday) ?

i suggest this because if we WIN Ames, spirits will be high and media coverage will be poppin' so we have the potential to lure in new donors and have a much bigger bomb than a day before IMO.

just my devalued, fiat 2 cents

Patriot123
07-20-2011, 12:29 AM
What about possibly doing it the day after or even one week after the straw poll (Ron's birthday) ?

i suggest this because if we WIN Ames, spirits will be high and media coverage will be poppin' so we have the potential to lure in new donors and have a much bigger bomb than a day before IMO.

just my devalued, fiat 2 cents

Hmmm. That could actually work -- that's a Saturday, too. Hmmm. I like it :D I'll ask them about that date in the morning.

WorldonaString
07-20-2011, 12:51 AM
I imagine Ron's birthday will bring in a lot of donations all day long just naturally. But I agree this Flash would make sense to be positioned somewhere around the Straw Poll when more people are paying attention.

Patriot123
07-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Right, the fact that we'd be doing it on his birthday would definitely be an advantage, I think.

Opinions on the layout so far? Not that flashy yet -- just a... basic layout. I'm not sure. I'm a little iffy on it... http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9401/layouttz.png

davidt!
07-20-2011, 01:16 AM
May want to do it the day before the straw poll just in case for some crazy reason we get third or less spirits may be kinda low after the straw poll?

squarepusher
07-20-2011, 01:19 AM
I have an idea. A "Money Minute"

Patriot123
07-20-2011, 01:26 AM
May want to do it the day before the straw poll just in case for some crazy reason we get third or less spirits may be kinda low after the straw poll?

I was thinking about that. I mean, should we? That gives us very little time. We could. I'll inquire with the campaign and see what they think -- a day before Ames or on Ron's birthday. If we do his birthday, though, we really have to try to avoid making his birthday the obvious theme of it. If we get media attention, that might not go so nicely, maybe. I'll ask what they think. The advantage to a birthday moneybomb, though, is that more people will probably donate.

Squarepusher -- hah :D that would be awesome! if we could pull it off, lol.

AdamT
07-20-2011, 01:30 AM
The next moneybomb should definitely take advantage of the hype coming off an Ames 1st or 2nd finish. People will be fired up!

VoluntaryAmerican
07-20-2011, 02:09 PM
I have a feeling 50k in an hour has been done before, if it wasn't done today.

If I remember correct 130k was raised in the first 3 hours this time around.

trey4sports
07-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Bump for an update.

I def. like the idea and have been promoting it.

Have you spoke with the campaign ?