PDA

View Full Version : New suit for Ron?

erblo
10-31-2007, 08:18 PM
Does anyone think it would be cool to put money together to buy Ron a new, awesome suit? Look at the Leno video, see how awesome Tom Cruise's suit looks? Ron's suit looks very economical, but let's be honest, many people judge by looks.

Who wants to put money together and send him a Hugo Boss or Armani suit?

slantedview
10-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Hehehe. I'm not sure Ron would take it. If he wanted a new suit, he could probably buy one. In the grand scheme of things, a suit doesn't cost much.

bbachtung
10-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Maybe a little something like this:

http://www.suavecito.com/images/Suits/zoot_suit_tiger.jpg

brumans
10-31-2007, 08:22 PM

Perfect! Let's start a chip-in.

erblo
10-31-2007, 08:23 PM
See that's the thing, I don't think he would buy one. He could travel in a limo but he doesn't because he is saving money. If someone gave him a limo I think he'd ride in it.

randolphus maximus
10-31-2007, 08:24 PM
Does anyone think it would be cool to put money together to buy Ron a new, awesome suit? Look at the Leno video, see how awesome Tom Cruise's suit looks? Ron's suit looks very economical, but let's be honest, many people judge by looks.

Keep in mind that something like that may violate some weird FEC election regulation (seriously). Better to just donate the $$$ to the campaign.

Eric21ND
10-31-2007, 08:24 PM
This is a good topic. We should definitely looked into this.

ronpaulyourmom
10-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Honestly though Ron Paul needs somebody to start dressing him better.

My girlfriend, who absolutely hates George Bush, constantly talks about how well he dresses, and even though she loves Ron Paul, she constantly rips on his attire. I'm inclined to agree with her, George Bush looks like a freakin baller.

cmc
10-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Something burgundy.

Eric21ND
10-31-2007, 08:39 PM
You would have to get him a couple fitted suits. Something Presidential yet stylish.

But yeah I don't know if this violates funding laws...any word on that?

me3
10-31-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm not comfortable with advising a 72 year old man, and future American President on how to dress.

brumans
10-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Yea.. I also think this is a bad idea. If he wants a suit, he can buy one with his campaign cash.

piotr1
10-31-2007, 08:42 PM
hmm that funny, i thought his suit looked really good. i actually commented about that when i watched it the first time. lol

risiusj
10-31-2007, 08:45 PM
He won't buy a new suit(s) because the one he has is still in one piece.
He's a conservative guy.

kaleidoscope eyes
10-31-2007, 08:46 PM
he is who he is, the bold truth is way more attractive than a flashy suit.;)

RP4ME
10-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Something burgundy.

he had on a burgindy tie last nite - well more red/burg but it looked liike it came form JC penny - But ya know _ i dont care! I want teh real deal I want genuine _ im through with looks and dress......

Corydoras
10-31-2007, 08:49 PM
I think he has been starting to dress better over the last couple of months.
And the worst of his ties seem to have disappeared.
But I agree, he needs a stylist for his clothes.
However, Edwards got raked over the coals for that haircut, which kind of makes styling a difficult topic to sell a campaign on, particularly where Dr. Paul's reflex reaction toward everything is thrift.

You know who dresses really well? Tony Blair. Always made Bush look like he was wearing a sack.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/11/images/20011107-12.html

FloridaJohn
10-31-2007, 08:51 PM
I think his suit and "style" are fine as they are. His clothes strike a perfect balance. Not too much, not too little.

erblo
10-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Well Edwards got ridiculed for paying that much for his haircut, but it would be a different story if supporters spontaneously donated money for it.

Maybe someone could call the campaign and find out if he would be receptive to it.

conner_condor
10-31-2007, 08:55 PM

LMFAO I would love to see him in that suit. Just to show his humor a bit.. "Look what my supporters bought me. I am da man." LMFAO Better than drag bitch rudy.. people would love this I am sure.. He would of got attention if thought about this before halloween.. Damn. It would of made the news i am sure..

literatim
10-31-2007, 08:55 PM
Anything donated to him counts towards an individual's $2300 cap.

Also, I doubt he'd accept such a thing. Ron Paul is the kind of guy who wears tennis shoes to work because they are comfortable.

risiusj
10-31-2007, 08:56 PM
Always made Bush look like he was wearing a sack.

How else would you transport 200 lbs of crap?

Couldn't resist on that one :D

Corydoras
10-31-2007, 09:06 PM
http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446168 747&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574490546667&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474399545537&bmUID=1192906390981

with black sneakers.

ladyliberty
10-31-2007, 09:10 PM
Oxxford Suits

http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/2002/12/06_Suits.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxxford_Clothes

Syren123
10-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Well Edwards got ridiculed for paying that much for his haircut, but it would be a different story if supporters spontaneously donated money for it.

Maybe someone could call the campaign and find out if he would be receptive to it.

It would sound ridiculous. They already get plenty of unsolicited advice every single day.

All the complaining about the NH advertisement actually was quite hurtful to an important person. There were some terrible things said about that ad, totally unnecessary, and rude and hurtful.

Stop with the dressing thing. These are grown men.

goRPaul
10-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Something burgundy.

Ron Burgundy?
http://www.big13.net/Achorman%20photos/Burgandy.jpeg

You asked for media attention!

Ready2Revolt
10-31-2007, 09:18 PM
I suggest anything from Kenneth Cole (http://www.kennethcole.com/default.asp?noflash=true&). If he is worried about spending too much I got a coupon.

goRPaul
10-31-2007, 09:18 PM
In all seriousness though, it's great that he's very casual in what he wears. A man of the people doesn't have to wear a $5000 suit. In fact, that's almost an oxymoron.

But donate anyways!

Brian Bailey
10-31-2007, 09:22 PM
One thing that has always bothered me about candidates is when you can tell by looking at their clothes that they are trying too hard.

The Doctor dresses with sincerity and it shows.

devil21
10-31-2007, 09:25 PM
I like Ron's outfits. Very fitting for him and his message. Not flashy, not terrible but obviously don't cost a fortune. For a man that returns a portion of his budget to the Treasury, doesnt vote for congressional pay raises, and doesnt take part in the pension program, what more would you expect?

If his clothes determine whether he is elected then this election is already lost.

Eric21ND
10-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Well like it or not voters judge off appearances.

Remember the Kennedy/Nixon debate?

Syren123
10-31-2007, 09:27 PM
I like Ron's outfits. Very fitting for him and his message. Not flashy, not terrible but obviously don't cost a fortune. For a man that returns a portion of his budget to the Treasury, doesnt vote for congressional pay raises, and doesnt take part in the pension program, what more would you expect?

...put FIVE children through college without student loans.

And haven't you noticed...RP has several VERY nice suits he wears to the debates. Gorgeous dark blue expensive looking ones with beautiful ties.

Pete Kay
10-31-2007, 09:36 PM
Yeah the man should wear Armani suits. Maybe get his teeth capped so he has perfectly straight and gleeming white teeth. Then he should think about wearing a hairpiece. Hair Club for Men could hook him up. Add in a little nip/tuck and then we will have a real winner. That's what America wants. A superficial primadonna.

Corydoras
10-31-2007, 09:43 PM
I suggest anything from Kenneth Cole (http://www.kennethcole.com/default.asp?noflash=true&). If he is worried about spending too much I got a coupon.

Kenneth Cole is vigorously liberal in his political views.
http://www.nationalreview.com/nr_comment/keane200401230958.asp

Harry96
10-31-2007, 09:46 PM
I have thought all year that Dr. Paul needs to hire an imagine consultant. His clothes aren't horrible, but they could be better. The fact is, people make subliminal judgments about people based on their appearances, and RP could look more presidential. I'm not saying he should be flashy; I'm saying his clothes don't look expensive and tasteful (but still very conservative) enough.

I remember in one debate, he was the only one on the stage wearing a blue shirt. He wore one last night on Leno, too. Generally, there's nothing wrong with a light blue shirt, but white is always right. I'd wear no shirt but white if I were running for president.

He tends to wear ugly, cheap-looking ties.

At least some of the time, he wears black tennis shoes with dress clothes. Fortunately I don't think it's been obvious on TV if he's done that, and no one has called attention to it. But if the average person saw it, they'd probably think: "That rube isn't sophisticated enough to be president." And they might be too distracted by something like that to even hear much of what RP has to say.

Running for president is like a job interview: your clothes shouldn't stand out in either a good or bad way -- they should just fit what you're expected to look like for the job and be good but unremarkable, so they don't distract from you or your message.

This stuff isn't hard. RP should be wearing high-quality, white, 100% cotton dress shirts, ideally with french cuffs and discreet cuff links; high quality, 100% silk ties in solid, repp (diagonal stripe) or subtle dot or foulard pattern, in navy, red, burgundy or some combination thereof, which can be with white accents; decent suits in navy or medium to dark gray, either solid or with subtle stripes; and high-quality (like Allen-Edmonds or Alden), conservative, well-polished black oxfords.

Assuming it's not illegal to spend campaign funds this way, hiring an image consultant and spending $10-15K (assuming he has no clothes to start with, which isn't true; some of his clothes are fine) at a store like Brooks Brothers or J. Press would be a wise investment.

I love RP, but again, he could look more presidential; when people look at him, they should sub-consciously think: "I can see that guy as president."

Harry96
10-31-2007, 09:51 PM
...put FIVE children through college without student loans.

And haven't you noticed...RP has several VERY nice suits he wears to the debates. Gorgeous dark blue expensive looking ones with beautiful ties.

I've seen all of the debates and I don't once ever recall him looking like you describe.

Corydoras
10-31-2007, 09:55 PM
Basically, Ron Paul dresses the way a lot of doctors do. Remember how Howard Dean always looked slightly rumpled no matter what?

Corydoras
10-31-2007, 09:57 PM
I remember in one debate, he was the only one on the stage wearing a blue shirt. He wore one last night on Leno, too. Generally, there's nothing wrong with a light blue shirt, but white is always right. I'd wear no shirt but white if I were running for president.

I think he may be dressing for an earlier era of television technology, when people were told not to wear white on TV because it would glare and spread.

erblo
10-31-2007, 10:01 PM
I agree that it is stupid to judge a candidate on the way they dress, but it is a studied fact that people make judgements about a person based on the way they dress, at least on a subliminal level. That's why people say you should dress for the job you want, not the one you have. I just think Ron should dress more like a president, and less like a frugal congressman.

I don't know about you guys, but I've heard people making fun of other candidates, like Bill Richardson, because they wear cheap clothes and look shabby. I'm not talking about the $14,000 Oxford suits, but that Boss suit that Corydoras posted looks sharp as hell for $700.

As stupid is it is, do you not want the votes gained by a $700 suit? It's a cheap investment that is seen in a debate watched by millions. Seems like cost effective advertising.

Syren123
10-31-2007, 10:03 PM
I've seen all of the debates and I don't once ever recall him looking like you describe.

Debate at Reagan Library in May 07: Dark blue suit, not such a great tie -the light blue stripe. Suit looks beautiful on camera.

Florida debate 10-21: Very nice charcoal suit, white shirt. Again, not the best tie but better - red stripe. The suit looks great - nice fabric, fits well.

I'm looking for the one where he wore the dark blue suit, white shirt and a solid dark red tie - probably the best tie yet.

If everyone is so flipped out over his clothes, how 'bout sending a nice tie.

Corydoras
10-31-2007, 10:10 PM
If everyone is so flipped out over his clothes, how 'bout sending a nice tie.

And be sure it's American-made and has no logo on the front.

atthegates
10-31-2007, 10:15 PM
hahah i couldnt stop laughing while reading some of the posts.

texasbelle
10-31-2007, 10:32 PM
For every person that notices what he wears, I think there is an equal number of people who don't notice. I for one have not the slightest interest in fashion whatsoever. I never notice what people are wearing unless its just plain filthy or something. :p In fact I went back and watched the leno show last night and all the suits look the same to me! ;) I think Ron looks great!

yaz
10-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Something burgundy.

such a huge pun in that

amonasro
10-31-2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah the man should wear Armani suits. Maybe get his teeth capped so he has perfectly straight and gleeming white teeth. Then he should think about wearing a hairpiece. Hair Club for Men could hook him up. Add in a little nip/tuck and then we will have a real winner. That's what America wants. A superficial primadonna.

Despite this, a tailored suit looks really good. The one he wore on Leno was a bit big for him. The other day I was thinking how much better he would look in a spread collar shirt since his face is so tall. His wife should buy him one :D Small details that make a big difference.

Corydoras
10-31-2007, 10:54 PM
I agree that it is stupid to judge a candidate on the way they dress, but it is a studied fact that people make judgements about a person based on the way they dress, at least on a subliminal level. That's why people say you should dress for the job you want, not the one you have. I just think Ron should dress more like a president, and less like a frugal congressman.

I think similarly. He looks great in interviews where he's dressed casually with an open collar, but when he's in a suit I think what people may be subconsciously registering is whether he will look okay representing America when he's dealing with other heads of state.

SwanMaiden
10-31-2007, 10:56 PM
All the complaining about the NH advertisement actually was quite hurtful to an important person.
I am very sorry to hear that:( Hopefully now that that has blown over they realize it was not meant to be personal. Or at least I truly hope it wasn't, I can't speak for others.

There were some terrible things said about that ad, totally unnecessary, and rude and hurtful.

Stop with the dressing thing. These are grown men.

I agree with you on both points. I know others will probably disagree, but I have actually grown quite fond of the green and cream diagonal stripe tie. I associate it with him now.;)

LibertyEagle
10-31-2007, 11:00 PM
he had on a burgindy tie last nite - well more red/burg but it looked liike it came form JC penny - But ya know _ i dont care! I want teh real deal I want genuine _ im through with looks and dress......

Well, we may be, but the majority of America is not. Think about Mitt Romney. People are STILL talking about how his hair was all messed up in the last debate. That's all Mitt has going for him. He LOOKS Presidential. He doesn't SAY a darn thing.

Regardless of whether people want to admit it, or even realize it, the way someone is dressed DOES matter. Dr. Paul, as much as I love and admire him, badly needs a nice suit and I mean NICE, and some new ties. Right now, his suits do not fit him well. That makes him look older and more gaunt. A well-fitted suit can make a huge difference. People will not vote for someone who looks old and frail. That's just the truth.

Corydoras
10-31-2007, 11:03 PM
Stop with the dressing thing.

For what reason?
:confused:

work2win
10-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Ron has always looked professional and presidential to me. I just don't know what you guys are seeing. Ron IS going for the wise-old-man image, not the baller image, you know.

...and he's catchin' on!

Syren123
10-31-2007, 11:26 PM
For what reason?
:confused:

Not here amongst yourselves, sure, whatever. But seriously...calling/emailing to complain about his clothes?

My "boss" told me this morning that he now gets 400 emails a day - four hundred - with suggestions and complaints about every possible and conceivable thing. I know it is also true for most of the people in the campaign. Some of it is probably helpful, but because 80% of it starts out with some kind of inflammatory statement, it ALL gets dumped. Who has time to sort through the accusations of incompetence/indifference/obliviousness to get to the gems? Not with the avalanche of other work they have to do in their 16-20 hour days.

I heard in this same conversation that they KNOW it's because people care - they know that! They know it and appreciate it. But it's overwhelming.

I am not joking about the NH advertisement thing. There are alot of people here and everywhere who are professionals in the video thing - the YouTube vids are proof of that. But for pete's sake...was it necessary for EVERYONE who has ever created a video to SLAM the NH ad? It was only for use in NH...not in ubercool NY or LA, and it was approved for use in that market - those people in NH LIKED IT. Jeezez. You'd have thought it contained child slavery or something. Anyway, it really caused some hurt feelings which was really BAD as this person is good.

That's all I'm saying. Why risk hurting someone's feelings about RP's CLOTHES. No doubt the suit issue will be addressed and resolved eventually as things get more high profile.

surf
10-31-2007, 11:33 PM
i read once, a suit cost an ounce of gold in 1800, 1900, and it still does today.
something like that anyway - it's a good way to explain inflation

nayjevin
10-31-2007, 11:34 PM
jeez all the fashion experts come out of the woodwork. let the guy be himself - that's a big reason why i support him.

Syren123
10-31-2007, 11:35 PM
i read once, a suit cost an ounce of gold in 1800, 1900, and it still does today.
something like that anyway - it's a good way to explain inflation

Yep. That's how Ed Griffin (Creature from Jekyll Island) explains the constant value of gold.

Even in ancient Rome, and ounce of gold bought a nice toga, handmade belt, and a pair of good sandals. Today, an ounce of gold will buy a nice suit, a handmade belt, and a nice pair of shoes.

Corydoras
10-31-2007, 11:47 PM
it really caused some hurt feelings which was really BAD as this person is good.

Why risk hurting someone's feelings about RP's CLOTHES.

"Someone"? "Person"? You're as cryptic as a medieval Japanese novel. So how do you hear this stuff about nameless entities? Curious.

Trassin
10-31-2007, 11:50 PM
Most campaigns hire professionals to take care of the candidate's "image". I'm sure that the campaign has it covered.

If anything, just donate to the campaign so they can hire someone talented to do the job.

LibertyEagle
10-31-2007, 11:52 PM
I know one person who is going to send a well-worded email about this and direct it to someone who has his ear. I'm not the one sending it, so save your comments.

So, please, no one else send anything. Dr. Paul will get the message and from there, it is his choice.

Syren123
10-31-2007, 11:52 PM
"Someone"? "Person"? You're as cryptic as a medieval Japanese novel. So how do you hear this stuff about nameless entities? Curious.
Because I'm not going to mention the person's name. Does that clear it up?

Corydoras
10-31-2007, 11:57 PM
Because I'm not going to mention the person's name. Does that clear it up?

No, because it doesn't explain your access to S/He Who Shall Not Be Named.

LibertyEagle
10-31-2007, 11:58 PM
What's up with being so nosy?

Syren123
11-01-2007, 12:00 AM
No, because it doesn't explain your access to S/He Who Shall Not Be Named.

I was in the company all day Tuesday of he/she who will not be named. Another employee of he/she who will not be named told me about how the insulting barrage of criticism over the NH ad was hurtful to our mutual boss. That is how I know.

Corydoras
11-01-2007, 12:10 AM
What's up with being so nosy?

My direct experience with family members (in two parties and on both coasts) who actually have access to people in elected office and appointed office, or who are in such positions themselves, is that not only do they not say who told them, they don't say what they have heard. They don't even tell immediate family, much less an internet forum. I am concerned at the suggestion that Ron Paul's campaign staff is porous.

Syren123
11-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Oh good grief.
Between this and the tirade over the flower bomb pictures...why bother.

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 12:22 AM
My direct experience with family members (in two parties and on both coasts) who actually have access to people in elected office and appointed office, or who are in such positions themselves, is that not only do they not say who told them, they don't say what they have heard. They don't even tell immediate family, much less an internet forum. I am concerned at the suggestion that Ron Paul's campaign staff is porous.

It is stating the obvious that what went on here and on YouTube a few days ago, with regard to the NH TV ad, was unprofessional and rude. No doubt it hurt some feelings. Imagine if you were one of the NH supporters in that ad and you had done exactly as you were told, and fellow Ron Paul supporters were bashing and insulting you, up one side and down the other. How would that make you feel?

Corydoras, I'm sorry, I'm not seeing your concern about porosity. Syren has not given away any campaign secrets and has actually been playing very close to the vest. Please back off. Let's not insult yet another person, ok? These guys are on OUR side.

Corydoras
11-01-2007, 12:54 AM
Imagine if you were one of the NH supporters in that ad and you had done exactly as you were told, and fellow Ron Paul supporters were bashing and insulting you, up one side and down the other. How would that make you feel?

First, you are assuming far too much in suggesting that the s/he who shall not be named is one of the people appearing in that ad. Syren has suggested nothing of the kind.

Second, political races are called campaigns because they are battles. As with armed battles, it is most peculiar to hear of anyone close to a campaign who has the luxury of hurt feelings. Anyone in politics should know that you just suck it up and keep going. I am not imagining what political people need to do-- I grew up among them. You're going to get flak more from your own side than from the other side, because unlike the other side, they actually want your side to succeed.

I'm not seeing your concern about porosity. Syren has not given away any campaign secrets and has actually been playing very close to the vest.

You don't actually know that there are no campaign secrets involved here, because you do not seem to know who is involved. That is why people who are close to campaigns don't noise about what they have heard.

Please back off. Let's not insult yet another person, ok? These guys are on OUR side.

Another nameless "person" and more nameless "guys." I will indeed back off and not ask you why you think I am going to insult people when I don't know their identities or why you think they are on "OUR side" if you may not know who you are.

I encourage you to listen to this short interview from August, an example of the fortitude that anyone in politics needs.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12896529

Taco John
11-01-2007, 12:57 AM
My girlfriend, who absolutely hates George Bush, constantly talks about how well he dresses, and even though she loves Ron Paul, she constantly rips on his attire. I'm inclined to agree with her, George Bush looks like a freakin baller.

http://garlinggauge.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/bush_crocs.jpg

Revolution9
11-01-2007, 01:16 AM
Ron is not a pudgy fatass like Bush and does not fill a suit in the same way. Ron's shoulders are broad and his waist narrow. I take a 42 long jacket and size 30 waist 34 inseam pants.. I can NEVER get a match. The pants are always for some fatassed size 36 waist. I swim in them and taking them in is ridiculous and kills the cut of the pants. For the cut of RP's suit to fall correctly from his wide shoulders to narrow waist it has to drape and the darts cannot bind the material. Hence when he is seated the drape folds. His suits are fine for his body. The man does not have a belly or mantits. He has long lean legs. His suits fit him just fine.

You people are too fucking much. Go micromanage a flea circus or your toilet bowl twirlings or something besides Dr Paul. He needs your help..not your hubris.

The proof is "he is catchin' on I'm tellin' ya!" in yer face. All you negative mini-pundits were dead flat wrong about that one. Don't see much difference here. Just more petty backbiting and substance eschewing image manipulators evaluating the illusion of their perception as opposed to the reality of what is.

Randy

Corydoras
11-01-2007, 01:25 AM
Huh? I had no problems with the first ad. Said so at the time, too. It was indeed a fine act of image manipulation.

Nefertiti
11-01-2007, 04:09 AM
I suspect he may rent the suits where he goes. I noticed in Chicago outside the room he was going to be speaking in their was a jacket hanging in a plastic bag before he went in to speak. He had just come from Mackinack and if I recall correctly was not wearing a jacket when he drove past us in front of the hotel, just a shirt.

Spirit of '76
11-01-2007, 05:31 AM

Oh, God no. If you're going to micromanage the man's wardrobe, at least have some taste.

Oxxford Suits

Much better.

This stuff isn't hard. RP should be wearing high-quality, white, 100% cotton dress shirts, ideally with french cuffs and discreet cuff links; high quality, 100% silk ties in solid, repp (diagonal stripe) or subtle dot or foulard pattern, in navy, red, burgundy or some combination thereof, which can be with white accents; decent suits in navy or medium to dark gray, either solid or with subtle stripes; and high-quality (like Allen-Edmonds or Alden), conservative, well-polished black oxfords.

. . . Brooks Brothers or J. Press would be a wise investment . . .

Harry nails it.

thuja
11-01-2007, 06:10 AM
I think he has been starting to dress better over the last couple of months.
And the worst of his ties seem to have disappeared.
But I agree, he needs a stylist for his clothes.
However, Edwards got raked over the coals for that haircut, which kind of makes styling a difficult topic to sell a campaign on, particularly where Dr. Paul's reflex reaction toward everything is thrift.

You know who dresses really well? Tony Blair. Always made Bush look like he was wearing a sack.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/11/images/20011107-12.html

good clothes are not obvious. it is the design that matters. the tailoring, the fit, the silhouette that matters. not burgundy! Armani IS nice, as are a few other major designers.. the expensive clothes last for ages, and ar classic in design. the cheap stuff does not last, gets baggy,fuzzy and sloppy in all the wrong places, and ends up costing more, as it needs replacing more often. men understand this, as the usually do not like to shop for clothes often, so a coupleof excellent suits are a very good investment. nothing unusual or out there, and it will NOT be made fun of like you mention.

thuja
11-01-2007, 06:16 AM
Anything donated to him counts towards an individual's $2300 cap.

Also, I doubt he'd accept such a thing. Ron Paul is the kind of guy who wears tennis shoes to work because they are comfortable.

i think armani himself wears tennis shoes

Harry96
11-01-2007, 06:17 AM
Thanks, Spirit.

Again, like it or not, people make subliminal judgments based on other people's clothes. So why not take every advantage you can get?

A couple of other examples have popped into my head:

In his book Dress for Success, John T. Molloy wrote about how Reagan often wore tan suits when running for president in 1976, but switched to dark suits in 1980. Of course there are tons of variables here as to why he succeeded in 1980, but not in 1976. His point was just that Reagan looked much more powerful and presidential in 1980, largely due to help from image consultants, and it probably helped somewhat.

In her book Dress for Excellence, Lois Fenton told of a peace treaty signing President Carter hosted at the White House. The two leaders signing the treaty -- I forget who -- wore their typical dark suits, white shirts and dark ties. But Carter, departing from his usual similar attire, wore a medium blue plaid suit with a light blue shirt. She was sure it was from advise from an image consultant (or him recalling such advise from the past); his outfit sent a subliminal, visual cue to TV viewers that he wasn't a part of the treaty, but was just the host.

thuja
11-01-2007, 06:25 AM
http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446168 747&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574490546667&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474399545537&bmUID=1192906390981

with black sneakers.yes, perfect!

pcosmar
11-01-2007, 06:29 AM
Comfort is more important than (somebody's) style.
Get him a good pair of hemp jeans (or two) and some plaid flannel shirts.

Meatwasp
11-01-2007, 06:32 AM
Enough with the Suit! It Suits him fine!

thuja
11-01-2007, 06:43 AM
plaid shirts are excellent for outdoor chores and weekend casual, but not, unfortunately for appearances.
when there is any room for improvement, the effort should be made. if he were ugly or something, it would be obvious, but he is so healthy and trim looking, and has excellent posture, so imagine a subtlle wardrobe change, absolutely stunning, emphasizing these qualities, but no one would really know why, exactly. just very sharp looking. really, do not overdo the modesty toward the direction of looking hapless.

thuja
11-01-2007, 07:02 AM
the armani people sometimes go from the shop to your office or home, bringing a variety of clothes to select and do not discuss their customer to the public, especially when asked not to.

an ordinary store does not do so, and then everyone may know where you shopped, and what you paid, etc...

Tim724
11-01-2007, 07:07 AM
In one article (I forget which one) they described his black sneakers as "mall walking shoes."

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 07:13 AM
I suspect he may rent the suits where he goes. I noticed in Chicago outside the room he was going to be speaking in their was a jacket hanging in a plastic bag before he went in to speak. He had just come from Mackinack and if I recall correctly was not wearing a jacket when he drove past us in front of the hotel, just a shirt.

Dry-cleaning.

thuja
11-01-2007, 07:26 AM
there is an armani shop in texas, along with other designers shops.
two suits

libertarian4321
11-01-2007, 11:05 AM

Bush looks great in his expensive suits, but sucks as President.

I'm voting for the man, not the suit...

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Another nameless "person" and more nameless "guys." I will indeed back off and not ask you why you think I am going to insult people when I don't know their identities or why you think they are on "OUR side" if you may not know who you are.

Oh, I see now. Because I don't know the names of the people in the New Hampshire ad, what I said becomes meaningless? Interesting piece of logic there. :rolleyes:

They are Ron Paul supporters, you jerk. Stop insulting them! :mad:

First TV Ad - Please read
Posted October 28th, 2007 by Jane Aitken

I have a request and that is that you stop calling the campaign with your complaints. I have offered to work with them on the critique. This is not set in stone, and can be redone. These are real supporters, not actors. I know most of them - they are my friends and are great people, some of them in important positions in NH. Please do not insult them, because they are the ones who have brought Ron's polling up to 7.4% with their time, sweat, and money. Sure Ron could be smiling, and the script could be better, or they could have used clips from spontaneous comments. I watched it carefully and sent them my suggestions.
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/4644#comments

Shellshock1918
11-01-2007, 11:38 AM
http://www.hlportal.de/images/content/hl2/others/hev.jpg

Oh yea.

walt
11-01-2007, 11:42 AM
All kidding aside - some retor 1776 type clothing wouldn't be a bad idea from a viral and branding aspect.

ladyliberty
11-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Can we do a chipin for a $5000 VISA Card like they give to those people on "What Not to Wear" and then he can go to the tailor of his choice, Oxxford or whoever, for a nice suit?

Originally Posted by Harry96

. . . Brooks Brothers or J. Press would be a wise investment . . .

ladyliberty
11-01-2007, 11:49 AM
@Shellshock1918;337775
Body armor????

bayoubill
11-01-2007, 12:11 PM
This is a good point, and one I raised when I sent my first contribution back in May.

Ron Paul needs to put a little more attention into his appearance, I think, and some well-tailored suits would help.

We need to remember that, if Nixon, in 1960 before the televised debates, had bothered to shave and use the services of a makeup person, he'd have been president 8 years earlier.

Physical appearance DOES count!

Shellshock1918
11-01-2007, 12:13 PM
@Shellshock1918;337775
Body armor????

HEV suit from Half-life, worn by Gordon Freeman. The hero of the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Freeman

traviskicks
11-01-2007, 12:42 PM

nah, he's as thrifty with his own money as his is with taxpayers. I think his suit is fine and fits his character and his message, IMO.

ladyliberty
11-01-2007, 12:45 PM
How about if we buy him a new suit after the primaries??

Corydoras
11-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Oh, I see now. Because I don't know the names of the people in the New Hampshire ad, what I said becomes meaningless? Interesting piece of logic there. :rolleyes:

They are Ron Paul supporters, you jerk. Stop insulting them! :mad:

What is the reason you think this has anything to do with the New Hampshire ad? I haven't seen anything that leads to such an idea.

I certainly don't have anything against the people in the New Hampshire ad.

erblo
11-01-2007, 07:26 PM
What is the reason you think this has anything to do with the New Hampshire ad? I haven't seen anything that leads to such an idea.

I certainly don't have anything against the people in the New Hampshire ad.

I was thinking the same thing!

I just think a nice outfit is a luxury that Ron maybe can't afford at this point. People who think he will get his own style consultant and expensive suit must not have looked over his FEC disclosure. They pinch pennies everywhere they go, that's why $1 for Ron is worth $5 for Rudy McRomney.

I don't see it as telling a man how to run his campaign, or how to dress. I see it like the private jets. He flies commercial to save money, but if a supporter offered a free flight on a private jet you know he would take it.

Any word from the person that was contacting the campaign?

Corydoras
11-01-2007, 07:35 PM
They're probably overwhelmed with the Philly situation at the moment. Darn.

paulitics
11-01-2007, 07:44 PM
He looks a little disheveled sometimes, oh well, he is running an economical campaign. Too bad the world sees things through superficial glasses.

peruvianRP
11-01-2007, 08:15 PM
I think he can afford it by himself..come on he was a doctor!

Hope
11-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Ron Paul is a millionaire.

He doesn't need us to buy him a suit. Good God.

Corydoras
11-01-2007, 08:28 PM
He's not that well off, actually-- rural doctors don't make that much money, and he brought up five kids, and he has no congressional pension to look forward to, and living even part-time around Washington is hellishly costly.

Spirit of '76
11-01-2007, 08:34 PM
He's not that well off, actually-- rural doctors don't make that much money, and he brought up five kids, and he has no congressional pension to look forward to, and living even part-time around Washington is hellishly costly.

He's a millionaire. Look at his financial disclosure statements.

Corydoras
11-01-2007, 08:37 PM
He's a millionaire. Look at his financial disclosure statements.

People with a few million are not rich nowdays.

Spirit of '76
11-01-2007, 08:56 PM
People with a few million are not rich nowdays.

They're rich enough to buy their own suits.