PDA

View Full Version : Grassroots Proposal: VoterRegistrationBomb!

Maximilian American
07-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Get yourself and anyone you know to register republican for their state primary on either a single day or multiple day VoterRegistrationBomb. Last election cycle I chose a weekend to register myself, everyone in my family including uncles, aunts, grandparents, cousins, friends, in my state and in other states by printing out tons of applications and actually visiting the local ones to help them fill it out and stamp it and drop it off in the mail myself. For the out of state folks I mailed their state applications (with extras for people they know) to them along with a prepostaged envelope. I can safely say that at least 47 registrations were filled out...with all 47 voting for Ron Paul in their state's primary.

I propose a discussion here for support buildup, then a pledge/facebook page, then a contact to the official campaign for their involvement on this grassroots idea.

Just to throw some dates out there: July 29th-31st 3 day event. August 5th-7th 3 day event.

Whadya liberty lovers think?

sabu140
07-19-2011, 07:29 PM
I like the idea. I would like to have it after the Ames, IA straw poll though. I think the next two saturdays should be used to focus on what's important, the Ames, IA straw poll. I'm having an Iowa phonebanking meetup in my local area to find Ron Paul supporters through rp2012.org. We must call independents in addition to what the campaign is doing if we want to win the straw poll.

Maximilian American
07-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Do you know if the Iowa/Ames strawpoll requires voters to be registered republican before they cast their ballot? If so, then a Voter registration bomb would come in handy right before the strawpoll.

I like the idea. I would like to have it after the Ames, IA straw poll though. I think the next two saturdays should be used to focus on what's important, the Ames, IA straw poll. I'm having an Iowa phonebanking meetup in my local area to find Ron Paul supporters through rp2012.org. We must call independents in addition to what the campaign is doing if we want to win the straw poll.

KCIndy
07-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Do you know if the Iowa/Ames strawpoll requires voters to be registered republican before they cast their ballot? If so, then a Voter registration bomb would come in handy right before the strawpoll.

I'm not sure, but I would *guess* that the voters would indeed have to be registered Republicans, since it's the Iowa GOP that's doing the straw poll.

And yeah, I agree that an "early state" like Iowa, NH NV or SC would be the best place to focus on registrations, at least early on. If you live in a state with a really late, "look-what-the-cat-dragged-in" primary like I do (Indiana) there's not a lot of point in registering voters for the primary. (The general election, yes - but our EARLY efforts should focus on the early primary states.)

I remember in '08, by the time Indiana had its primary the whole thing was already over.

I went and voted for Ron Paul anyway, just so I could say I did! :D

sailingaway
07-19-2011, 08:01 PM
I think doing it all on a certain day will overburden staffers unnecessarily. I'd have them do it BY a certain day.....

sailingaway
07-19-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure, but I would *guess* that the voters would indeed have to be registered Republicans, since it's the Iowa GOP that's doing the straw poll.

And yeah, I agree that an "early state" like Iowa, NH NV or SC would be the best place to focus on registrations, at least early on. If you live in a state with a really late, "look-what-the-cat-dragged-in" primary like I do (Indiana) there's not a lot of point in registering voters for the primary. (The general election, yes - but our EARLY efforts should focus on the early primary states.)

I remember in '08, by the time Indiana had its primary the whole thing was already over.

I went and voted for Ron Paul anyway, just so I could say I did! :D

You can change registration at the caucus itself to vote in the GOP primary caucus in Iowa.