PDA

View Full Version : If confronted by cops while passing out RP fliers how should we handle it?

Reason
07-19-2011, 11:34 AM
A few RP supporters & myself have ordered half a thousand fliers from the official website & plan to put them on car windshields & hand them out in a very large outdoor shopping center near us.

If for some reason cops were to come & tell us to stop or want our information, harass us or w/e... Do you think it would be best to just comply and find a new location or bust out the cameras & start demanding penal code citation etc...

As some of you might remember, I have no issue was standing my ground with a camera in hand I just wonder if it would be the prudent action considering in this activity I would be representing RP.

Thoughts?

IndianaPolitico
07-19-2011, 11:36 AM
First off, make sure you aren't looking for a fight. If for some reason this occurs, don't start screaming. Talk calmly, and 9 times out of 10 the issue this will resolve in your favor.

Reason
07-19-2011, 11:40 AM
First off, make sure you aren't looking for a fight. If for some reason this occurs, don't start screaming. Talk calmly, and 9 times out of 10 the issue this will resolve in your favor.

I am always calm, I just want some thoughts on if I should bother to argue freedom of speech, claim no property owner has asked us to leave etc or if I should just stfu & find a new shopping center.

specsaregood
07-19-2011, 11:40 AM
I think you know the answer. Be respectful and comply. You can also get their name/badge # and ask for details on why you are being asked to leave; but dont' get confrontational. We don't need our own tazed guy this election cycle.

Reason
07-19-2011, 11:44 AM
I think you know the answer. Be respectful and comply. You can also get their name/badge # and ask for details on why you are being asked to leave; but dont' get confrontational. We don't need our own tazed guy this election cycle.

lol, don't taze me bro

hazek
07-19-2011, 11:54 AM
If you want what's good for your and your friends' health obey any orders and ignore everything else with respect. You don't need to like the mafia, but sometimes paying them off could be the more sensible thing to do.

ronpaulhawaii
07-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Shopping center are private property. In some cases this presents a "better to ask forgiveness than permission" situation, but we need to be careful. I've never been one for leaving stuff on cars, but that is just me. In some areas it is more "acceptable" than others...

specsaregood
07-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Shopping center are private property. In some cases this presents a "better to ask forgiveness than permission" situation, but we need to be careful. I've never been one for leaving stuff on cars, but that is just me. In some areas it is more "acceptable" than others...

Of course the legal argument has been made that shopping centers are the modern day equivalent of the "town square", and as such freedom of speech should be allowed. I'm not sure how those cases have turned out that and it is beyond the scope of the OP's question. Just thought i would throw that out.

RileyE104
07-19-2011, 12:19 PM
My personal belief is to do whatever necessary to spread the word. So if you get a cop complaining, just comply and move to another area. We need all the volunteers out there that we can have, can't afford to have anyone in this movement having to waste time being questioned by police, having to pay fines or having to serve jail time.

falconplayer11
07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Just do what they say. It's not worth it to risk getting trouble, and RP supporters are already known for being annoying.

FA.Hayek
07-19-2011, 12:21 PM
don't antagonize the cop(s), do as he/she says and go somewhere else to spread the word!

brushfire
07-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Co-op, the cop... Just ask him/her not to pass out flyers with speeding tickets.

IndianaPolitico
07-19-2011, 12:42 PM
I am always calm, I just want some thoughts on if I should bother to argue freedom of speech, claim no property owner has asked us to leave etc or if I should just stfu & find a new shopping center.
I guess I would take it on a case by case basis. If you are doing it at a shopping center take into account that it is private property, and arguing and maybe even getting arrested can waste time that you could be using passing out flyers somewhere else.

Brad Zink
07-19-2011, 12:45 PM
I've found the most effective method is hanging fliers on doorknobs. People can read the information in the comfort of their own home, and they can access a computer to learn more.

Jackie Treehorn
07-19-2011, 12:50 PM
If you're on any part of shopping center property, they have the right to ask you to leave. If they kick you out, just go somewhere close that's city property.

BUSHLIED
07-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Don't be stupid and get confrontational...its a lose/lose situation. Simply say you are sorry, follow whatever they ask, and find another place to hand out your flyers...the only thing I would resist is IF they want to take away your flyers...I wouldn't let them do that unless, you just had like 40 in your hand and you have 1,000s in your car somewhere else..then just hand them the 50 flyers and get in your car and leave..go find another place.

Typically there is not a good reason to not comply with police, unless they are doing you direct harm and you have to defend yourself or your family. It is almost always best to live to fight another day...remain calm, polite, and cooperative...most cops don't want problems...some may be having a bad day...those are the ones not to mess with.
Also, what state/city are you going to be in?

xRedfoxx
07-19-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm a police officer and I would encourage you to do what they say! If what they ask you to do is illegal, sue them. Also remember that in many places the owners have the right to ask you to leave and may call the cops to enforce it. Aggressive behavior also scares away new supporters.

By the way….a lot of cops are very pro-ron paul. Remember that most laws we enforce are state laws...not federal laws.

If you’re an anarchist supporter of Ron Paul….then none of my recommendations will help.

hazek
07-19-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm a police officer and I would encourage you to do what they say!

Exactly. I always laugh at people for trying to stand up to LEOs in the street especially since the LEO is not a judge nor the jury but knows that if he gives you an order you have to obey or he can use any force necessary to get your compliance.

What you have to understand is that they can be sued just like anyone else if their order is illegal. So if you want what's good for your health, in the moment you comply, but the second you have a chance you make a record of it, gather witnesses and/or evidence and file a lawsuit. It's the only way where you can actually stand up to them, win and not get hurt in the process.

xRedfoxx I have a question for you. Say I haven't done anything wrong, you know it and I know it, but I was nosy or otherwise annoyed you in the street and you asked for my I.D.? You say "Can/may I see some I.D." What would your response be, if I asked back "Are you ordering me or are you asking me?"

xRedfoxx
07-19-2011, 02:23 PM
I can only answer for Texas...states are different. Depends on the situation...if I were just checking up on you I wouldn't care at a wise crack....if you're a suspect of a crime I wouldn't be all that humored by a wise-crack.

But our law is straight forward:

CHAPTER 38. OBSTRUCTING GOVERNMENTAL OPERATION

§ 38.02. FAILURE TO IDENTIFY.
(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally refuses to give his name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has lawfully arrested the person and requested the information.
(b) A person commits an offense if he intentionally gives a false or fictitious name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has:
(1) lawfully arrested the person;
(2) lawfully detained the person; or
(3) requested the information from a person that the peace officer has good cause to believe is a witness to a criminal offense.
(c) Except as provided by Subsections (d) and (e), an offense under this section is:
(1) a Class C misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (a); or
(2) a Class B misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (b).
(d) If it is shown on the trial of an offense under this section that the defendant was a fugitive from justice at the time of the offense, the offense is:
(1) a Class B misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (a); or
(2) a Class A misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (b).
(e) If conduct that constitutes an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under Section 106.07, Alcoholic Beverage Code, the actor may be prosecuted only under Section 106.07.

hazek
07-20-2011, 03:59 AM
My question is more like would you define it as an order if by me refusing to comply I would be committing a crime or would you keep repeating the same "can/may I see some I.D.?" that implies it's an request and requires my consent?

Because as far as I know you can't just order villy nilly people to show I.D., right? Unless you want to break the law and get sued of course, right? And when you can order it, you are legally allowed to punish me for not complying?

MelissaWV
07-20-2011, 04:10 AM
I don't think it's off topic so I will say it again: I don't think the car thing is a good way to go.

After someone does this, the parking lot is usually awash in discarded/dropped flyers. "Great! Someone will pick it up!" When was the last time you stopped to pick up some flyer in a parking lot that had been run over and stepped on a few dozen times? It becomes litter, and you have to be a bit careful about that.

Canderson
07-20-2011, 04:46 AM
I completely agree, the car thing will only hurt us. thats a terrible marketing tactic, as mitch hedberg said its like saying "here, you throw this away" and it will give people a negative association with RP

ProIndividual
07-20-2011, 04:54 AM
Grew up in a bad neighborhood...my advice...

...just try to explain quietly and quickly, if the cop isn't going to hear it, then leave before they beat you half to death.

That's reality, depending on where you are.

roho76
07-20-2011, 04:59 AM
I've found the most effective method is hanging fliers on doorknobs. People can read the information in the comfort of their own home, and they can access a computer to learn more.

This. Especially the "access to a computer" part. Putting them on cars equals putting them in the trash or littering. Just make sure if you go door to door that there's no "No Loitering" signs. You don't want to be a loitering either.

asurfaholic
07-20-2011, 05:04 AM
I would rather go through neighborhoods and tape the flyers to mailboxes. Something about going up to front doors turns me off, and same thing about touching someone's car. Private property is just that, I don't want anyones paws on my stuff - I guess I reflect that by naturally avoiding touching ANYTHING that isn't mine or public property.

BladeOfAnduril
07-20-2011, 06:57 AM
I would suggest against using tape to attach fliers to mailboxes. I did it as a kid for a curb painting business I tried to start in my neighborhood and got yelled at by someone because of it. A better approach may be to wedge the flyer between the mailbox and mailbox flag (assuming its a traditional mailbox). It completes the same goal, without actually sticking anything to the mailbox.

I agree that the car idea is probably not the best approach. As has been said, some are likely to simply discard the flier without looking at it. Most people (what I would likely do) would remove it from the windshield, toss it in the car, and forget about it. Maybe a few will take the time to sit and read it in the car, but I don't believe the effort is worth the risk or the marginal return.

mport1
07-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Cops are very unpredictable. Non compliance with their orders will usually result in your arrest. If you don't want to get arrested, the best thing to do is to just obey their orders.

tremendoustie
07-20-2011, 07:25 AM

I think that as people who value private property, permission should be asked of the main store in the shopping center.

And actually, I'd prefer handing the fliers out to people, rather than just putting them on cars.

mczerone
07-20-2011, 07:26 AM
KNOCK ON DOORS. Look to have a brief conversation with homeowners. If they're not home/don't answer, leave a flyer with a rubber band around the doorknob. Shave, do your hair, and wear nice clothes.

Stay away from malls/strip malls/parking lots. You don't want to be seen as some bandit litterers, you want to be seen as respectable members of the community who just want to share your convictions.

You will not get hassled by the cops for going door-to-door, possibly except when an entire neighborhood/subdivision has a "no solicitation" policy - but even then, still go door-to-door because you are not soliciting. If a cop stops you or a member of your group, politely say "oh, we're not soliciting, but we'll go somewhere else if they don't want us here."

The next most effective way to get information out is to set up a booth at a fair/market. In that situation you want a display that encourages passers-by to HELP take actions to achieve their personal goals. Don't just sit behind a RP2012 sign and expect people to pick up and read a slim jim.

Basically, I wouldn't bother with the parking lots. You want to be asking people questions about what concerns them, and to be able to answer their concerns personally. If you try to just flyer a parking lot not only could you get into trouble but your return on investment is too low to justify the printing costs of the flyers.