PDA

View Full Version : Portugal Drug Study Falsified says social cons

Napoleon's Shadow
07-19-2011, 06:32 AM
This was just posted on FaceBook from one of the top women of the Eagle Forum.

Thoughts?

http://laiglesforum.com/cato-portugal-drug-study-based-on-false-government-data/2602.htm

mczerone
07-19-2011, 06:51 AM
My comment that's "awaiting moderation":

Taking the APLD claims at face value, USE of these chemicals went up.

But what about ABUSE? What about the number of drug related deaths? What about the number of drug-related violent crimes? What about the use of resources that were formerly spent on prohibition enforcement, are they being used to increase the general welfare in Portugal?

And the comment about "drug cartels increasing their market share" is 100% off base. Did the mob thrive or shrivel after prohibition of alcohol was repealed in the U.S.? Once the market for these drugs is legitimate, there is no incentive for violent criminals to engage in the trade.

No, prohibition of drugs, even those that you or I absolutely disdain ENCOURAGES violent markets, encourages cutting the drugs with dangerous chemicals, encourages users to hide their habits and the health effects that result.

This report from the APLD should be taken into advisement, but to focus on this one piece of evidence in the face of numerous other studies on numerous other measures is more dishonest than you claim CATO of being. CATO did not fund or direct the studies they promoted, and unlike the East Anglia debacle, CATO did not compromise the scientists undertaking the studies.

I applaud your efforts to stay drug-free, and I don't suggest anyone use heroin or meth, but to suggest that the apparatus of the socialized govt should be used to enforce your worldview on others is nothing but bullying. And bullying people to live "the good life" ends up denying either the bully or the bullied the chance to develop their own morality.

idirtify
07-19-2011, 09:57 AM
APLD - Association for a Drug Free Portugal

The Association has as its main objective creating a society free of drugs.