PDA

View Full Version : Cops Kill Dog During Fugitive Chase in NC

Rael
07-18-2011, 03:20 PM
They just had an interview with the dogs owner on the news and the dog didn't seem "vicious", apparently the dog was in his own back yard.

http://www.myfox8.com/news/wghp-story-winston-salem-fatal-shooting-sunday-110717,0,7587400.story

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (WGHP)—
Police say two men suspected of robbing a convenience store at gunpoint were shot dead in an apparent murder-suicide that took place during a police chase Sunday afternoon in Winston-Salem.

Trayvon Donell McDaniel, 22, of 685 Motor Road, was pronounced dead at the scene of the shooting. Stephon Lavell Royster, 22, of the same address, died shortly after being taken to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.

Police were investigating an armed robbery that reportedly occurred at the EZ Pass convenience store at 559 Akron Drive shortly before 12:45 p.m.

Around 1:30 p.m., officers began following a black Ford Explorer with two passengers matching the robbers' descriptions on Ohio Avenue, police said.

Before the officers stopped the SUV, the suspects pulled into a random driveway, abandoned the vehicle, and ran into the woods near Old Rural Hall Road, police said. The officers chased the suspects on foot.

During the foot chase, police said a "vicious dog charged one of the officers." An officer shot the dog once and it died at the scene, police said.

Around 2:20 p.m., the two suspects were spotted in a wooded field in the 5100 block of Cox Boulevard near the intersection at Old Rural Hall Road, police said.

As the officers approached the suspects, they heard two gunshots and witnessed both men fall to the ground, police said. No gunfire was exchanged between the officers and the suspects, police said.

Both men were allegedly shot by the same small-caliber handgun that was found near their bodies.

Investigators believe one of the men shot the other before turning the gun on himself. It is unclear as to which man pulled the trigger, but police said both men were armed with handguns when they reportedly robbed the convenience store.

The victims' families have been notified. Photographs of the men will not be released due to investigative purposes, police said.

Police said both men had several outstanding warrants for their arrest for robbery with a dangerous weapon in both Forsyth and Guilford counties.

The investigation is ongoing.

Crystal Davis, who lives nearby, said she wants to move after her family witnessed the aftermath of the incident.

"When I went in my backyard I saw a bunch of police hovered over an object, which I soon found out was a dead body," Davis said. "Children don't need to be around that. It has a big impact on them to see something like that, so I'm ready to move now."

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Winston-Salem Police at (336) 773-7700 or Crime Stoppers at 727-2800.

specsaregood
07-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Ya know, this site is getting a lot of hits from new visitors interested in Dr. Paul's campaign. It would help his image and ours if you put a little thought into your thread titles. *removed* is unnecessary here. Be a good chap and edit it, mmkay?

Captain Shays
07-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Sorry man. I am sorry for the dog and I am sorry for the police officer who felt the need to shoot him but in this case I think the cop was justified. He was doing his job and unfortunately the dog wasn't in a fenced in yard or on a leash. If he had been my entire view would be different and I would be going after the cop. Very unfortunate incident and my heart goes out to the family of the dog.

I also concur with the changing of the title sentiment. It's distasteful and I don't want to give any impression that we or Ron Paul supports lawlessness or that we or he hates cops. So please change it.

Thanks

Rael
07-19-2011, 12:55 PM
I'll stop calling cops pigs when they stop behaving like pigs. If this "public servant" was really scared of the dog he could have pepper sprayed it.