PDA

View Full Version : Does Ron Paul still have money he uses from the last campaign in 2008?

Magicman
07-18-2011, 11:05 AM
I have been getting criticized from non-Ron Paul supporters that he blew his money and they don't know how. What happened to the rest of it that he didn't spend? I'm curious to know and hopeful these mistakes don't happen this coming election.

trey4sports
07-18-2011, 11:07 AM
he used it to start C4L and YAL, and hire infrastructure for each group.

libertybrewcity
07-18-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm sure he had some left over. He transferred a million from his congressional account so maybe he transferred a million from his presidential account to his congressional account back to his presidential account. The YAL and C4L will be major players in getting out the vote. I don't think they can directly endorse him, but I'm sure they can do something with their email lists and members.

RCA
07-18-2011, 11:11 AM
he used it to start C4L and YAL, and hire infrastructure for each group.

I thought that was the initial rumor, but it was later deemed illegal use of campaign funds.

specsaregood
07-18-2011, 11:15 AM
The YAL and C4L will be major players in getting out the vote. I don't think they can directly endorse him, but I'm sure they can do something with their email lists and members.
They are also the reason Dr. Paul has been receiving endorsements from state-level legislators and why he has supporters on the republican boards. It was a long-term investment.

I thought that was the initial rumor, but it was later deemed illegal use of campaign funds.
The wiki page still says it is the case:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_for_Liberty

Funding and foundation
Ron Paul founded the Campaign for Liberty with a portion of the over $4.7 million left from his presidential campaign, and it is also currently funded through donations by both mail and the internet.

I think the rest of it he transferred to his congressional account.

trey4sports
07-18-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm sure he had some left over. He transferred a million from his congressional account so maybe he transferred a million from his presidential account to his congressional account back to his presidential account. The YAL and C4L will be major players in getting out the vote. I don't think they can directly endorse him, but I'm sure they can do something with their email lists and members.

From what i heard, YAL and C4L were worried about a possibly being investigated by the FEC so they will not coordinate at all.

brandon
07-18-2011, 11:21 AM
I never heard that. I don't think there is such thing as an illegal use of campaign funds. After a campaign is over, the money becomes the candidates personal money to use as they please.

trey4sports
07-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I never heard that. I don't think there is such thing as an illegal use of campaign funds. After a campaign is over, the money becomes the candidates personal money to use as they please.

i dont think that is right

libertybrewcity
07-18-2011, 11:31 AM

I'm not sure if that is correct.

Zippyjuan
07-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Open Secrets reported that he had about $580,000 left in campaign funds as of 12/31/08. http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/summary.php?cycle=2008&cid=N00005906

As to what they can do with leftover funds, according to FactCheck.org:
http://www.factcheck.org/2008/02/leftover-campaign-funds/

Candidates do sometimes end up with surplus funds, though, particularly if they’re incumbent members of Congress who decide not to run for another term. State and local governments have their own rules, but those running for federal office — including presidential candidates — must abide by strict FEC guidelines when it comes to their extra campaign money. They can donate an unlimited amount to a charity or political party. They can also, within limits, make contributions directly to other candidates. A campaign committee can give up to $2000 per election to each candidate. If the committee is converted into a political action committee, the limit jumps to $5000 – but to be established as a PAC, the committee would have to be in existence for six months, receive contributions from 50 donors, and make contributions to five recipients.

What candidates can’t do with leftover money is use it for personal expenses. Retiring federal lawmakers used to be able to pocket extra cash and use it for cars, vacations, clothes, pet grooming, whatever — but that changed in 1989 with the passage of the Ethics Reform Act.

brandon
07-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks - I stand corrected.