PDA

View Full Version : No Meetup's anymore?

V4Vendetta
07-18-2011, 05:19 AM
Just wondering

sailingaway
07-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Yeah there are, in some places more than others. Some areas use facebook, but a bunch who value privacy won't use facebook. Go to meetup.com and plug in 'Ron Paul'. A Texas meetup is producing a really cool single edition 'Ron Paul Newspaper' they are printing out 100,000 of, I believe, to distribute in Iowa and New Hampshire as a first priority, through meetups (and other means where it exists.) They are just kicking off, though, a bunch of them in later primary states.

RonPaulVolunteer
07-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Ours meets tonight.

mconder
07-18-2011, 08:59 AM
There are way less this time. I think it's a mistake. Grassroots definitely seems to be leaving things more to the official campaign this time around. I don't think we have the same spirit as last time. Where are all the Ron Paul signs?

Dustancostine
07-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Don't be alarmed by the lack of MU's yet. I remember in 2007 this was when I first joined an MU and I was one of the first in my area to do so. The MU's didn't start exploding until after August. So I think we might see the same thing here.

Bern
07-18-2011, 09:07 AM
http://www.freedomatlas.org/

sailingaway
07-18-2011, 09:51 AM
There are way less this time. I think it's a mistake. Grassroots definitely seems to be leaving things more to the official campaign this time around. I don't think we have the same spirit as last time. Where are all the Ron Paul signs?

To be fair, the campaign is signalling that it wants to lead this time, and grass roots are able to help in phone banks and things that weren't available at this point in 2007, from what I hear.

libertybrewcity
07-18-2011, 10:39 AM
There are a bunch on facebook. Someone actually contacted me about the Milwaukee meetup. I had no clue it even existed. Join facebook and search for a meetup near you!

libertarian4321
07-19-2011, 12:19 AM

At this time in 2007, I don't think I saw any signs- maybe a couple of hand made signs.

I didn't see my first "real" sign until the end of July 2007.

I think "meetup" has largely been replaced by Facebook.

RonPaulwillWin
07-19-2011, 12:27 AM
I believe a majority of the meetups got together to make the large 'who is Ron Paul' and 'google Ron Paul' banners across fw overpasses, etc...at least in the Pasadena / Los Angeles area. Now people know who RP is, so grassroots has moved to newer social media like FB, other projects etc...

Eric21ND
07-19-2011, 12:32 AM
At this time in 2007, I don't think I saw any signs- maybe a couple of hand made signs.

I didn't see my first "real" sign until the end of July 2007.

I think "meetup" has largely been replaced by Facebook.
Yup this is the case. Facebook is free, and almost everyone has it so disseminating information quickly is very easy. You don't have the steps of getting people to go to meetup.com and signing up and blah blah blah...It also allows you a larger audience, because most people on your friends list aren't political junkies like we all are. We can recruit a lot of new blood from the facebook platform.