PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul-itis Has Taken Over the GOP Freshmen in Debt Ceiling Talks

AuH20
07-17-2011, 11:35 PM
He's an obstinate loon, thanks to pure persistence, who has turned Washington on his head. This number is encouraging.
Hold your ground. Don't believe the establishment's lies. Let some other schmuck pass the crap-laden bill to come.

http://www.businessinsider.com/republicans-quick-to-criticize-mcconnell-contingency-2011-7

Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-OH) said Tuesday that more than 59 members of his caucus would not vote for any debt ceiling deal.

"We have a number of members who won't vote to raise the debt ceiling under any circumstances," he told Fox News' Bret Baier, citing ideological disagreements.

AuH20
07-17-2011, 11:46 PM
More.

http://www.redstate.com/moe_lane/2011/07/17/house-freshmen-not-on-board-for-any-deals/

If you remember earlier this year, Rand stated the same mission statement. This line of thinking is completely foreign to the establishment. We need more selfless reps to continue throwing themselves into the gears of the Washington D.C. theft machine.

“Re-election is the farthest thing from my mind,” said Representative Tom Reed, a freshman Republican from upstate New York. “Like many of my colleagues in the freshman class, I came down here to get our fiscal house in order and take care of the threat to national security that we see in the federal debt. We came here not to have long careers. We came here to do something. We don’t care about re-election.”

kah13176
07-17-2011, 11:52 PM
That's not because of Ron Paul. If McCain was in office right now, there would be very few Republicans against a debt deal.

AuH20
07-17-2011, 11:54 PM
That's not because of Ron Paul. If McCain was in office right now, there would be very few Republicans against a debt deal.

Depends if McCain embarked on an orgy of spending. Republicans wanted to hang Bush after the passage of TARP.

sailingaway
07-18-2011, 12:01 AM

A lot of it is because of Ron Paul. That the people were NOT left with only McCain and Obama's view of economics has a TON to do with Ron Paul, as has the tea party, whether all parts of that want to recognize it or not.

And yes, the party itself would be mush if a Republican were president, but maybe not the freshmen. On the other hand, if McCain had been president, it is the Dems who would have swept in in 2010, as likely as not.

AuH20
07-18-2011, 12:07 AM
A lot of it is because of Ron Paul. That the people were NOT left with only McCain and Obama's view of economics has a TON to do with Ron Paul, as has the tea party, whether all parts of that want to recognize it or not.

And yes, the party itself would be mush if a Republican were president, but maybe not the freshmen. On the other hand, if McCain had been president, it is the Dems who would have swept in in 2010, as likely as not.

Ron has made voting 'NO' the fashionable thing to do, especially with all his prophecies becoming true. He may have singlehandedly changed the national dialogue. Ron's influence truly grew exponentially after TARP was passed, which was really the final straw for most republican voters. There was a national insurrection in the GOP after TARP because it went against the prime tenets of a capitalist marketplace.

Hullsner
07-18-2011, 01:49 AM
I feel Ron Paul has been the catalyst of the explosive liberty movement. He has been waiting 30 years for this.

Aratus
07-18-2011, 12:02 PM
rep. eric cantor is now one of the GOP people
open to ron paul's political philosophy in full???
the days of the "W" are now an ancient time?

musicmax
07-18-2011, 12:14 PM
rep. eric cantor is now one of the GOP people open to ron paul's political philosophy in full???

No. Cantor is angling for speakership after the 2012 election and when whatever suckup deal Boehner gets done (or doesn't get done), especially since Boehner is going to have a primary challenge. Cantor is 1% Tea Party and 99% Likudnik. Don't be fooled.

White Bear Lake
07-18-2011, 01:40 PM
There was a national insurrection in the GOP after TARP because it went against the prime tenets of a capitalist marketplace.

This. I was a neocon that swallowed everything the GOP said. TARP changed me into a full fledged Ron Paul libertarian.

specsaregood
07-18-2011, 01:48 PM
This thread title brought the biggest smile to my face.

georgiaboy
07-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Ron has made voting 'NO' the fashionable thing to do, especially with all his prophecies becoming true. He may have singlehandedly changed the national dialogue. Ron's influence truly grew exponentially after TARP was passed, which was really the final straw for most republican voters. There was a national insurrection in the GOP after TARP because it went against the prime tenets of a capitalist marketplace.

+rep

Question - do you have any solid evidence - insider scoop, etc. - other than the tea party movement itself to bolster this claim? I'd like to agree, but from what I've seen on the ground, people are upset but not enough to make me think an actual insurrection occurred nationwide. Case in point, my Georgia TARP-infested US Senator Chambliss got his job back despite his big gov't votes, and I'm guessing his TARP-er in crime Isakson will get a pass also.

Do you think the double-whammy of TARP plus a debt ceiling increase vote will seal these type of incumbents' fates?

Napoleon's Shadow
07-18-2011, 02:13 PM
This. I was a neocon that swallowed everything the GOP said. TARP changed me into a full fledged Ron Paul libertarian.
Good, read lots of www.Mises.org and www.LewRockwell.com

angelatc
07-18-2011, 03:57 PM

But the whole reason John McCain isn't in office is because he flew back to Washington to push TARP through. If he had flown back and at least pretended to try to stave it off, he'd *be* the President today.

AuH20
07-18-2011, 07:21 PM
+rep

Question - do you have any solid evidence - insider scoop, etc. - other than the tea party movement itself to bolster this claim? I'd like to agree, but from what I've seen on the ground, people are upset but not enough to make me think an actual insurrection occurred nationwide. Case in point, my Georgia TARP-infested US Senator Chambliss got his job back despite his big gov't votes, and I'm guessing his TARP-er in crime Isakson will get a pass also.

Do you think the double-whammy of TARP plus a debt ceiling increase vote will seal these type of incumbents' fates?

Well, look at what transpired in 2010 primaries. At the time, all over talk radio, TARP was the scarlet letter for many of these RINOs. Obviously, welfare for megabanks doesn't go over well in republican circles. It was a virtual bloodbath for pro-TARP incumbent GOP senators aside from those two goofs in Georgia.

http://www.minyanville.com/businessmarkets/articles/tarp-republican-voters-primary-gop-candidates/9/15/2010/id/30110

The first of these departed was Senator Robert Bennett of Utah, a purported conservative who spent 18 years on the Senate Finance Committee where he never once encountered a business tax subsidy he didn’t like. Other pro-TARP Republican Senators who got their walking papers include Kay Bailey Hutchison (defeated for Governor of Texas), Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, and Senator Arlen Specter, who's been the sole member of the Specter Party in the Senate for several decades now.

Adding to the ranks of pro-TARP departures was the voluntary exit of Senator George Voinovich of Ohio and especially Senator Judd Gregg of New Hampshire. The latter served on the banking committee where he consistently re-broadcast K Street talking points with flawless fidelity.

In the Delaware Senate nomination race, nine-term Congressman Mike Castle suffered what can only be described as an ignominious defeat at the hands of Tea Party heroine Christine O’Donnell. Ordinarily, a career that included founding a pro-chastity religious group called the Savior’s Alliance for Lifting the Truth and selling portraits of various Vatican personages wouldn't be much of a qualification for higher office. But at the end of the night, O’Donnell had one big thing going for her while Castle had a political lifetime of nearly everything going against him.

White Bear Lake
07-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Good, read lots of www.Mises.org and www.LewRockwell.com

Trust me, for the last two years I have been.