PDA

View Full Version : If you're from outside of Iowa don't go to Ames for the straw poll

Billay
07-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Just a heads up. Steve didn't explain this well enough the other night but the IOWA GOP has changed it's rules to make sure nobody from out of town can get near the straw poll. Basically you'd be wasting your time up there so lets focus our efforts on phone banking and donating to Ron.

Thargok
07-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Just a heads up. Steve didn't explain this well enough the other night but the IOWA GOP has changed it's rules to make sure nobody from out of town can get near the straw poll. Basically you'd be wasting your time up there so lets focus our efforts on phone banking and donating to Ron.

+rep

ItsTime
07-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Can anyone verify this?

angrydragon
07-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Probably why Romney won't be there.

Badger Paul
07-17-2011, 05:54 PM
The IOWA GOP has changed it's rules to make sure nobody from out of town can get near the straw poll.

Like what? Setting up road blocks? Police check-points on I-35? Are they going to arrest me if I'm from out of state?

It's a public event at a public place. Period. Yes, I know I can't vote in it. So what? There's plenty of things to do.

Napoleon's Shadow
07-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Are they going to arrest me if I'm from out of state?

It's a public event at a public place. Period. Yes, I know I can't vote in it. So what? There's plenty of things to do.
If they are going to do it, then they will probably have a gate to the property (I think it's a college campus?) with a checkpoint and no one outside of Iowa will be allowed in unless you are credentialed (from a campaign, or a vendor, or the press). I am just guessing though.

trey4sports
07-17-2011, 06:23 PM
c'mon guys, save your gas and donate instead on the 19th!

Bruno
07-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Do you mean out of state?

Badger Paul
07-17-2011, 06:36 PM
"If they are going to do it, then they will probably have a gate to the property (I think it's a college campus?) with a checkpoint and no one outside of Iowa will be allowed in unless you are credentialed (from a campaign, or a vendor, or the press). I am just guessing though. "

Yeah well that's a funny guess but I'll take it with a grain of salt until I hear otherwise. You're going to block off half a college campus? Given how huge the Hilton Coliseum Complex is, I have a hard time seeing how they could do this. And why would they? Out-of-staters spend money on food and drink from vendors just as Iowans do. Why would the party cut into their profits?

Napoleon's Shadow
07-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Yeah well that's a funny guess but I'll take it with a grain of salt until I hear otherwise. You're going to block off half a college campus? Given how huge the Hilton Coliseum Complex is, I have a hard time seeing how they could do this. And why would they? Out-of-staters spend money on food and drink from vendors just as Iowans do. Why would the party cut into their profits?Have you asked Steve about it?

Badger Paul
07-17-2011, 07:18 PM
No I haven't. Should I ask my mother too while I'm at it?

I'm certainly not going to waste his time.

Having been two straw polls, I know how they operate. As I said, I'll keep my ears open but I find this a little incredulous.

Napoleon's Shadow
07-17-2011, 07:20 PM
No I haven't. Should I ask my mother too while I'm at it?

I'm certainly not going to waste his time.

Having been two straw polls, I know how they operate. As I said, I'll keep my ears open but I find this a little incredulous.
Unless you are signed up to volunteer through the campaign and credentialed as such, you may not be allowed entry to the grounds if you are not from Iowa. You might want to ask Steve before you make the trip or you could be very disappointed. I don't know for sure, that's why I'm saying you should ask Steve directly so that there isn't any confusion about it and you don't waste your time showing up to an event that maybe you can't get into.

Let us know what he says...

Eric21ND
07-17-2011, 07:24 PM
What if you're bringing Iowans to the poll?

Badger Paul
07-17-2011, 07:27 PM
"entry to the grounds "

What grounds? This is a college campus not a theme park. The $30 ticket allows one access into the Hilton Coliseum to hear the candidate speeches. That's all it is. To vote you need an Iowa's DL or a student ID. That's the rules as far as I know. They were the rules in 2007. If they've change, I'd love to be enlightened as to how and what. I've haven't seen anything on any news site which says the campus will be closed off. Hell, I can go on the Iowa GOP's website right now and order a $30 ticket.

Napoleon's Shadow
07-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Yeah well that's a funny guess but I'll take it with a grain of salt until I hear otherwise. Well you don't have to take it with a grain of salt, you can find out yourself directly by asking the guy in charge - Steve Bierfeldt in Iowa. He posts here, and his contact information is listed on the Iowa for Ron Paul site.

Please let us know what he says because I'm sure others are interested.

You're going to block off half a college campus? Given how huge the Hilton Coliseum Complex is, I have a hard time seeing how they could do this. It's not that big of a campus, and during the summer there aren't that many students around to disrupt. Plus the arena area is kind of out in it's own little corner of campus. Keeping people out of large real estate like this is done all the time for major festivals where they will put up a mile or more of rental fencing:

http://media.merchantcircle.com/33284586/Shells_medium.jpeg

Napoleon's Shadow
07-17-2011, 07:28 PM
To vote you need an Iowa's DL or a student ID. That's the rules as far as I know. They were the rules in 2007. If they've change, I'd love to enlightened as to how and what.

What if you're bringing Iowans to the poll?

Again, ask Steve Bierfeldt, he's the guy in charge, he has the answers. :cool:

Billay
07-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Why would I make this up? We had 3 buses coming from Kansas City. They Campaign sent a cease and desist.

Badger Paul
07-17-2011, 07:36 PM
You're going to need a hell a lot more fencing than that to block off that whole area. Besides, if I buy a $30 ticket, I get in anyway.

FA.Hayek
07-17-2011, 07:41 PM
c'mon guys, save your gas and donate instead on the 19th!

please!

tsai3904
07-17-2011, 07:42 PM
http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=552746

With two Minnesotans running for president, former Mason City mayor and state Rep. Bill Schickel said he expects some supporters from Iowa's northern neighbor to travel 120 miles south to attend the Ames Straw Poll on the Iowa State University campus next month.

Schickel suggested Minnesota residents "coming down to support a native son or daughter running for president" work at a candidate's tent or purchase a $30 ticket to the speeches and fanfare inside the Hilton Coliseum.

"But they will not be able to vote, because they are not Iowa residents," said Schickel, R-Mason City.

As secretary of the Republican Party of Iowa and a member of the State Central Committee, Schickel helps determine the rules that govern voting in the Aug. 13 straw poll, an early gauge of campaign prowess and organizational strength.

Bill Schickel helps determine the rules of the straw poll and he suggests Minnesotans to come down to Iowa to support their candidate. That doesn't sound like they're restricting access to Iowa residents only.

If the campaign doesn't want out of staters at the straw poll, I'm fine with that, but there's no need to give out false information if it later proves to be that way.

malkusm
07-17-2011, 07:45 PM
You're going to need a hell a lot more fencing than that to block off that whole area. Besides, if I buy a $30 ticket, I get in anyway.

Ok, by all means then, please avoid contacting Steve (presumably because you don't care what his answer is anyway, and would ignore him if he told you not to go to the straw poll?), and just continue to respond to everyone else in this thread passive-aggressively. I'm sure it will be much more effective for everyone.

Badger Paul
07-17-2011, 07:46 PM
The campaign did or the Republican Party?

Read this article here p (http://http://statehousenewsonline.com/2011/07/15/gop-plans-tighten-up-voting-rules-at-straw-pol/)ublished on Friday. People from Iowa are fully expecting out-of-staters to come to the Straw Poll, especially those from Minnesota helping Bachmann or Pawlenty. And I can't lend a hand even though I'm just as close as they are? I hope the campaign does enough Iowans to help out at the tent or around the grounds because from what I'm hearing on other threads, there are not a lot of RP supporters helping out staffing county fairs, and that's easy to do.

Billay
07-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Like I said all I know is we had 3 buses going from Kansas City to Ames. I was excited that I was going to get to see Ron speak and possibly meet him and Rand. I was then told by the organizer that the campaign had contacted him and told him the Iowa GOP made some new rules and basically we'd be left out to dry and we'd be better off donating money and making phone calls.

Badger Paul
07-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Iowa GOP made some new rules and basically we'd be left out to dry and we'd be better off donating money and making phone calls.

If they did so they must have made them this weekend. As I said, I checked around and hadn't seen anything on any news site. So if anyone can explain the new rules, I'm all ears...

sailingaway
07-17-2011, 07:58 PM
http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=552746

Bill Schickel helps determine the rules of the straw poll and he suggests Minnesotans to come down to Iowa to support their candidate. That doesn't sound like they're restricting access to Iowa residents only.

If the campaign doesn't want out of staters at the straw poll, I'm fine with that, but there's no need to give out false information if it later proves to be that way.

I have to agree people shouldn't give out false information to manage people, they lose credibility. However, my takeaway from the article tsai just posted was that they were still designing the restrictions and it is possible they came up with something new.

However, you lose credibility and good will very fast if you say something untrue to 'manage people'. It is better to explain the situation, if that is really what is going on.

HOLLYWOOD
07-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Any credibility in IOWAGOP? Nevadan GOP has proven as corrupt as they come... and all they do is take turns keeping the status quo establishment when they get caught.

NV GOP leader Sue Lowden killed Ron Pauls 3 delegates for the Minnesota Republican convention... and now things are worst, a frigin democrat RINO is running the NVGOP, Taranian.

So, Who managing and watching the DIEBOLD machines this time @ Ames?

speciallyblend
07-17-2011, 08:02 PM
is this not an open fair? to the public? if so what is everyone complaining about? just ban people period, problem solved!!

sailingaway
07-17-2011, 08:02 PM
has credible is the IOWAGOP? Nevadan GOP has proven as corrupt as they come... and all they do is take turns keeping the status quo when they get caught.

NV GOP leader Sue Lowden killed Ron Pauls 3 delegates for the Minnesota Republican convention... and now things are worst, a frigin democrat RINO is running the NVGOP Taranian.

So, Who managing and watching the DIEBOLD machines this time @ Ames?

It wasn't just three delegates Nevada stopped, they were the first batches voted in and Ron's delegates were winning hands down. but for them shutting off the lights and fleeing, Ron would have had the state of Nevada at the convention, and they could have proposed a nomination from the floor of the RNC as I understand things.

However, nevermind that.

Nevada apologized, and I understand Ron has three people of his own on the Iowa Central Committee. Bachmann has one. We don't want to make enemies here. I think Bachmann is going to implode, eventually, although maybe not before the Ames straw poll. Further, I think Cain won't last. Their supporters will be looking for the next best candidate and we don't want to poison Ron's chances by appearing to be attacking the integrity of the Iowa GOP without any evidence of any problem, or even any vote taken, yet.

Badger Paul
07-17-2011, 08:07 PM
"However, you lose credibility and good will very fast if you say something untrue to 'manage people'. It is better to explain the situation, if that is really what is going on."

That's all I'm asking. I can't see how they can keep out-of-state people from coming to poll but apparently someone in the campaign is saying they are? Well, how are they going about it?

MJU1983
07-17-2011, 08:07 PM
probably why romney won't be there.

zing! :)

Napoleon's Shadow
07-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Besides, if I buy a $30 ticket, I get in anyway.Can you get in if you're not an Iowa resident? :confused:

Badger Paul
07-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Uhh, I have before. So if something has changed in this regard please let us know...somebody....someone.

Bruno
07-17-2011, 08:15 PM
I sent Steve Bierfeldt an email to ask him for confirmation and details.

Why would I make this up? We had 3 buses coming from Kansas City. They Campaign sent a cease and desist.

Can you link a copy of the cease and desist?

nobody's_hero
07-17-2011, 08:18 PM
The last thing we want is an illegitimate Iowa victory made possible by people from other states. I know it's hard, because you want to win, but that victory will be meaningless if it can't be deemed credible.

Eric21ND
07-17-2011, 08:20 PM
This is ridiculous. I don't buy it.

Worst case scenario, the bars in Ames allow anybody ;)

Eric21ND
07-17-2011, 08:21 PM
The last thing we want is an illegitimate Iowa victory made possible by people from other states. I know it's hard, because you want to win, but that victory will be meaningless if it can't be deemed credible.
Non-Iowans aren't allowed to vote.

HOLLYWOOD
07-17-2011, 08:24 PM
It wasn't just three delegates Nevada stopped, they were the first batches voted in and Ron's delegates were winning hands down. but for them shutting off the lights and fleeing, Ron would have had the state of Nevada at the convention, and they could have proposed a nomination from the floor of the RNC as I understand things.

However, nevermind that.

Nevada apologized, and I understand Ron has three people of his own on the Iowa Central Committee. Bachmann has one. We don't want to make enemies here. I think Bachmann is going to implode, eventually, although maybe not before the Ames straw poll. Further, I think Cain won't last. Their supporters will be looking for the next best candidate and we don't want to poison Ron's chances by appearing to be attacking the integrity of the Iowa GOP without any evidence of any problem, or even any vote taken, yet.I thought I said that in my post? :confused:

Not worried about Cain or Backmann... just Romney and the establishment. We all know too well about how backroom deals are done, even in Reno, it was agreed upon by Hucksters, and other non-McCain supporters to back Ron.

Iowa is no different, if there's one bad apple it, can ruin things. I hope everyone is keeping a close eye on: attendees, voters, ballots, counters, hard copies, and results.

In politics, never trust anyone.

Badger Paul
07-17-2011, 08:27 PM
"The last thing we want is an illegitimate Iowa victory made possible by people from other states"

That's why only Iowans can vote. But that's different from allowing only Iowans to attend the Straw Poll or being on the Iowa State Center grounds period.

Well, it turns out I had Steve's email on file so I emailed him too about this.

sailingaway
07-17-2011, 08:40 PM

I don't think they will try to vote but I do remember Rand's campaign had this whole meme going against it that all of his support was from out of state, based on a certain amount of donors being out of state and a bunch of YAL'rs coming into KY during spring break to help the campaign. Obviously, MOST of his support in Kentucky was from Kentucky, as the elections proved, but it was an unpleasant meme. I suspect the campaign wants to avoid that appearance. But I'm sure no one would try to cheat a vote, that would be terrible.

I have seen a couple of stories talking about the last straw poll and saying that at the time it 'looked like' Ron Paul had all this support but then he ended up in whatever place, because the people had really come in from out of state.... that might be on the campaign's mind, wanting there to be no question in anyone's mind that this win or good showing is Iowan.

Billay
07-17-2011, 08:49 PM
I sent Steve Bierfeldt an email to ask him for confirmation and details.

Can you link a copy of the cease and desist?

I don't have it just the conversation with the organizer.

"I got a call from the campaign
they told me cease and desist

Apparently the state of Iowa GOP has changed the rules this year to avoid people from out-of-state to have any access to the straw poll
we'd be high and dry out there"

culvereric
07-17-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm going to Iowa. I don't care if I have to sit a mile away by my car and hold a sign so the people driving in can see it, IM GOING. Also, I'm coming from Springfield, Mo so if any of those people from KC or anywhere in that region need a ride let me know. culvereric@yahoo.com

IRONCLAD
07-17-2011, 08:51 PM
I plan on donating instead. I would love to be there, but the gas cost too much to drive there.

Badger Paul
07-17-2011, 08:52 PM
"Apparently the state of Iowa GOP has changed the rules this year to avoid people from out-of-state to have any access to the straw poll"

Again, I'd like to know how they intend to pull this off.

tsai3904
07-17-2011, 09:02 PM
"Apparently the state of Iowa GOP has changed the rules this year to avoid people from out-of-state to have any access to the straw poll"

Again, I'd like to know how they intend to pull this off.

Rules will be finalized July 23.

SteveBierfeldt
07-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Gentlemen and ladies.

I have no idea if the GOP is literally going to bar and chain your way into the event, however as I have stated, the way the event is set up there really is very little someone from out of state can accomplish. And depending on how the rules are finalized, perhaps even less they will be able to attend.

I've gotten a great deal of genuine questions of, "How can I best help Ron Paul if I live out of state?"

And my answer now is the same as it has been:

Please do the things that will help Ron Paul the most, not help yourself the most. There are certain things that will have a tremendously greater effect on the event. Signing up for our phone banks and donating to the Iowa efforts are THE most effective ways to help Ron.

Without question these two aspects will allow us to identify more supporters, reach out to them via phone, mail and email, and encourage them to come to Ames and vote for Ron in the Straw Poll.

As much as waving a sign and shouting, "Ron Paul" may be enjoyable, it is a tactic that has a very low success rate for convincing a voter. Mail, phones, and other methods have greater value. And also depending on the person that is waving the sign and shouting, it could also have a negative effect on the average straw poll attendee.

If you are from out of state and thinking of traveling to Iowa for the Straw poll, there truly is not that much that you'd be able to do. We've gone over the logistics and we are fully staffed on volunteers. Also any time and money that you spend would have been 10 times more effective if you helped us make phone calls, spread the word via facebook, or donated to our Iowa projects. (http://iowaforronpaul.com/projects.php)

Also, the culture is quite often that Iowans don't like the idea of out of staters traveling here to tell them who to vote for. It's the Iowa Straw Poll and the first in the nation caucus. Many Iowans simply are not found of groups from out of state trying influencing their event.

There are going to be those who are going to do what they want to do regardless of what I say. Such is life when dealing with liberty minded individuals.

However if you genuienly want to help Ron Paul, and your #1 priority above everything else is to give him all of the tools necessary to be successful in this event and the continuing campaign, then would I ask those who do not live or go to school in Iowa to use their time and money to help Ron Paul's efforts here in Iowa, instead of traveling from afar to attend the event.

Thanks as always.

sailingaway
07-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Just so you know, this is the sort of thing Rand had to put up with, and it was effective, even though he overcame it:

h xxp://wfpltheedit.wordpress.com/2010/03/18/where%E2%80%99s-that-kid-from-kentucky/

h xxp://www.bluebluegrass.com/2010/03/19/rand-paul-busses-in-out-of-state-supporters-for-rally/

Now, this was completely unfair coverage because Rand had tons of local tea party support, but there was a spring break canvassing effort by YAL from all over, and these kids had just arrived in a group, and Rand swept them to this rally. But it does impact the thinking of some, and when his fundraising numbers then also had donations from out of state, they started a meme with it.

I know if anyone went they'd be aiming to blend in and charm people, but these kids were charming too, so you know. (They even clapped politely when Trey Grayson spoke; now that's manners!)

They are going to be having rallies and are going to really need people to attend to just show how out and out popular Ron is. In fact they cancelled one I understand they were going to reschedule. That is the kind of event we can and should take over, because it will be ours.

Anyhow, people will do what they will do, and I know if they go I'll be the first to want pictures and updates. I just wanted to show they have reason to ask what they are asking.

Badger Paul
07-17-2011, 10:34 PM
"there really is very little someone from out of state can accomplish. And depending on how the rules are finalized, perhaps even less they will be able to attend."

Steve,

What rules is the party proposing which are different than they've done in previous straw polls?

Esoteric
07-17-2011, 11:26 PM
So.. What if someone is an Iowa student who lives out of state? Are they able to vote???

Billay
07-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Yes if you are out of state but attend a school in Iowa you can vote. Steve I don't think it'd be a bad idea sending out an e-mail stating the campaigns position on this. I've spoken to several people who don't belong on this board who are saying the opposite. I understand it's frustrating but this is the beauty of the grassroots sometime. Let's all get on the same page and win this thing!

sailingaway
07-17-2011, 11:41 PM
So.. What if someone is an Iowa student who lives out of state? Are they able to vote???

Absolutely but they have to bring their student ID, people will have to show picture ID showing they are a resident or student there to vote.

LatinsforPaul
07-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Gentlemen and ladies.

I have no idea if the GOP is literally going to bar and chain your way into the event, however as I have stated, the way the event is set up there really is very little someone from out of state can accomplish. And depending on how the rules are finalized, perhaps even less they will be able to attend.

I've gotten a great deal of genuine questions of, "How can I best help Ron Paul if I live out of state?"

And my answer now is the same as it has been:

Please do the things that will help Ron Paul the most, not help yourself the most. There are certain things that will have a tremendously greater effect on the event. Signing up for our phone banks and donating to the Iowa efforts are THE most effective ways to help Ron.

Without question these two aspects will allow us to identify more supporters, reach out to them via phone, mail and email, and encourage them to come to Ames and vote for Ron in the Straw Poll.

As much as waving a sign and shouting, "Ron Paul" may be enjoyable, it is a tactic that has a very low success rate for convincing a voter. Mail, phones, and other methods have greater value. And also depending on the person that is waving the sign and shouting, it could also have a negative effect on the average straw poll attendee.

If you are from out of state and thinking of traveling to Iowa for the Straw poll, there truly is not that much that you'd be able to do. We've gone over the logistics and we are fully staffed on volunteers. Also any time and money that you spend would have been 10 times more effective if you helped us make phone calls, spread the word via facebook, or donated to our Iowa projects. (http://iowaforronpaul.com/projects.php)

Also, the culture is quite often that Iowans don't like the idea of out of staters traveling here to tell them who to vote for. It's the Iowa Straw Poll and the first in the nation caucus. Many Iowans simply are not found of groups from out of state trying influencing their event.

There are going to be those who are going to do what they want to do regardless of what I say. Such is life when dealing with liberty minded individuals.

However if you genuienly want to help Ron Paul, and your #1 priority above everything else is to give him all of the tools necessary to be successful in this event and the continuing campaign, then would I ask those who do not live or go to school in Iowa to use their time and money to help Ron Paul's efforts here in Iowa, instead of traveling from afar to attend the event.

Thanks as always.

Thank you Steve,

Can you please post this at Daily Paul too.

Thanks

parocks
07-17-2011, 11:43 PM

It could also have a negative effect.

That is something to think about.

On other threads, there was discussion of the grassroots securing an area, a room, a venue for a number of different purposes. One of the purposes was to corrall Ron Paul supporters who are inappropriate.

I was wondering if the Ron Paul official campaign does have a method to reduce the negative effect of out of state, inappropriately behaving Ron Paul supporters?

I also think there should be "appropriate conduct for Ames Straw Poll attendees" typed out somewhere.

Do not think that we want you to be doing any campainging for Ron Paul. This is not a good time for out of staters to talk to Iowans about end the fed. This is not the time for chanting. Or covering yourself with Ron Paul logoage.

If you're from out of state, you are there as a spectator. No silly stunts. Try to dress like an Iowan. Do Iowans wear plain white T's?

It is possible, but unlikely, that there could be a staging area, or a concert, or something, that you could be put to "work" with. That remains to be seen.
It wouldn't be work that is needed, it's more like make work.

sailingaway
07-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Gang members wear plain white Ts. Iowans wear regular clothes.

And where do you fit in with the campaign parocks? I'm referring to the 'we' language. Is this somehow from the campaign? Because it is worded pretty harshly.

trey4sports
07-17-2011, 11:47 PM
I'm going to Iowa. I don't care if I have to sit a mile away by my car and hold a sign so the people driving in can see it, IM GOING. Also, I'm coming from Springfield, Mo so if any of those people from KC or anywhere in that region need a ride let me know. culvereric@yahoo.com

cool to see Springfield folks on the board, i went to MO State

parocks
07-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Gang members wear plain white Ts. Iowans wear regular clothes.

And where do you fit in with the campaign parocks? I'm referring to the 'we' language. Is this somehow from the campaign? Because it is worded pretty harshly.

Part of what I was saying was a proposed set of rules. That might not have been clear. That is something that the campaign would be saying. Not me saying it as if I was the campaign.

The point is that if the campaign has a clear set of guidelines for out of state people, it's possible that some people - who will be going anyway - will follow those intructions. And that would be a more favorable outcome than if no one knows the right way to behave.

Badger Paul
07-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Here's the latest on the straw poll (http://caucuses.desmoinesregister.com/2011/07/17/straw-poll-is-anyones-game/)from the Des Moines Register. Again there's no mention of any rules changes regarding out-of-state volunteers.

The rules will be finalized later this week. We have to wait and see what happens. This could all be just agi-prop just to keep large groups of out-of-staters from attending (like three busloads of Missourians for example). If the campaign is fully staffed with Iowa volunteers, then I can pay the $30 for my ticket and just be a spectator or write about the scene for my blog.

Each straw poll I've been to has been unique and I'm sure this one will be too.

speciallyblend
07-18-2011, 06:24 AM
Here's the latest on the straw poll (http://caucuses.desmoinesregister.com/2011/07/17/straw-poll-is-anyones-game/)from the Des Moines Register. Again there's no mention of any rules changes regarding out-of-state volunteers.

The rules will be finalized later this week. We have to wait and see what happens. This could all be just agi-prop just to keep large groups of out-of-staters from attending (like three busloads of Missourians for example). If the campaign is fully staffed with Iowa volunteers, then I can pay the $30 for my ticket and just be a spectator or write about the scene for my blog.

Each straw poll I've been to has been unique and I'm sure this one will be too.

your going now anyway;) i want to read your on site blogging:) I want to go just to see it all and i would be undercover;) but i just cannot afford it:( oo well so you gotta go and blog now:)

speciallyblend
07-18-2011, 06:26 AM

and while your out there stop everyone that isn't from iowa from attending to;) /sarcasm;)

I thought there were rides and cotton candy and all kinds of kewl stuff to do at this fair? if so people from all over are coming no??

Bruno
07-18-2011, 08:24 AM
and while your out there stop everyone that isn't from iowa from attending to;) /sarcasm;)

I thought there were rides and cotton candy and all kinds of kewl stuff to do at this fair? if so people from all over are coming no??

The Straw Poll is in Ames, the Iowa State Fair is a 10-day event held in Des Moines.

Philmanoman
07-18-2011, 08:47 AM
So its impossible to have a positive impact as an out of state Ron Paul supporter?

Badger Paul
07-18-2011, 08:53 AM
"i want to read your on site blogging"

Just look for the blog www.conservativetimes.org (www.conservativetimes.org)

parocks
07-18-2011, 09:05 AM
this is what the official campaign wants people to believe. I haven't heard anyone actually talking about an organized grassroots effort when out of state grassroots is there. I've proposed something like that but people seem to think organization is bad. What might be useful for Ames is those people who are actually from Iowa and wanted to help but didn't fit what the campaign was looking for, those people could organize a "grassroots" team, and they carried out special projects.

I like the idea of special projects - and if one "special project" is keeping Ron Paul supporters from out of state from hooting and hollering too much, great.

But what I'm talking about is not likely to happen. It is also believed to be true that weeks back some out of staters were welcomed by Steve. Presumably, he did not have his volunteers then and now he does.

So its impossible to have a positive impact as an out of state Ron Paul supporter?

Napoleon's Shadow
07-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Bump

sailingaway
07-31-2011, 04:26 PM
People have been asking for help at state fairs. But we should go where we are wanted, not where we are not wanted.

Esoteric
07-31-2011, 04:37 PM
I will be there, with my liberty juices flowing. Out-of-staters can attend the event, dispite the FEAR MONGERING coming from the official campaign, in order to keep us 'nutty supporters' away from the tame Iowans.

Let it not be said that we did nothing.

Badger Paul
07-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Just so everyone knows, there's no change in the set-up or rules of the straw poll from 2007. Only Iowans can vote, $30 gets you into the Coliseum and persons can walk freely around the grounds and into the tents. Whether you come or go is entirely up to you.

FireStone
07-31-2011, 05:35 PM
He's not going because he thinks he's got it in the bag.

FireStone
07-31-2011, 05:37 PM
That is exactly the reason we all should go...the media wants it to seem like no one is interested in Dr. Paul so they can make everyone else look good.

Napoleon's Shadow
07-31-2011, 05:41 PM
I will be there, with my liberty juices flowing. Out-of-staters can attend the event, dispite the FEAR MONGERING coming from the official campaign, in order to keep us 'nutty supporters' away from the tame Iowans.
Why would you go when the campaign has specifically asked you not to? :confused: :(

sailingaway
07-31-2011, 05:41 PM
No, everyone knows Ron can get thousands from all over the country. The question is how many he can get from Iowa. Watch out for Trolls trying to start end the fed chants or whatever non-mainstream sounding stuff they dream up. We can't stop adults from going, but recall that trolls DO try to pretend they are of us and start unattractive stuff. I hope people from here will be thoughtful enough to recognize that when it is happening.

We are trying to be attractive to others not yet convinced; it is still early days in the campaign, and even those tentatively sold on some people might later become disenchanted and take a look at Ron if we have made a good impression. Politeness is something I'm sure we all know, and this isn't about 'us' vs 'them' this is about 'come join us!'

sailingaway
07-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Why would you go when the campaign has specifically asked you not to? :confused: :(

Esoteric, in particular, is putting a lot of work into putting on a screening of For Liberty at an Iowa theater the day before the Ames straw poll and will be handing out flyers to it at the debate, and if I were doing all that, I'd probably want to go to the straw poll, too.

Supporters do a lot of cool things, and I hate squelching the creativity. I understand the problems that have occurred and the bad feeling and bad press Ron has gotten in 'party' circles when our folks have booed other speakers or chanted at times when it isn't appropriate, or acted like others were the enemy if they made an honest mistake etc. However, it would be a real shame and disservice to Ron if we couldn't find a way to let the really terrific ideas come through.

But please folks, if you do support Ron, watch out for trolls. Remember that guy who quit the Romney meetup when they were planning on infiltrating events pretending to be Ron Paul supporters and act badly. And in my personal opinion, Romney supporters have nothing on hard core Perry supporters.

Napoleon's Shadow
07-31-2011, 05:51 PM
Supporters do a lot of cool things, and I hate squelching the creativity. I understand the problems that have occurred and the bad feeling and bad press Ron has gotten in 'party' circles when our folks have booed other speakers or chanted at times when it isn't appropriate, or acted like others were the enemy if they made an honest mistake etc. However, it would be a real shame and disservice to Ron if we couldn't find a way to let the really terrific ideas come through.
I agree completely. The campaign does need the grassroots, but if we are to achieve electoral victory then we must do proven methods that will lend themselves to success. That means phone banking and door-to-door. Other stuff is often superfluous and can even be detrimental in many situations.

sailingaway
07-31-2011, 05:56 PM
I agree completely. The campaign does need the grassroots, but if we are to achieve electoral victory then we must do proven methods that will lend themselves to success. That means phone banking and door-to-door. Other stuff is often superfluous and can even be detrimental in many situations.

those who show up at the straw poll are not going to be the ones listening to you on this point.

libertybrewcity
07-31-2011, 06:11 PM
I heard there will be provocateurs at Ames. Get ready for some crazy sh*t to go down.

KingRobbStark
07-31-2011, 06:25 PM
@ op

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hf-B9Tqkss

wealeat
07-31-2011, 06:59 PM
You guys should not attend the poll unless you are from Iowa. Yes it would be fun to go, but the only reason you are going at this point is because YOU want to go, not because you will make a difference.

When the official campaign, which is entirely different from last time, is urgin you to NOT come. You should not come. Please remove the selfish interest you have in attending this, and think what is best for the campaign. Real political consultants and real experienced campaign managers are in charge this time. They know what they are doing. "Going rouge" will not help. Please please use the money you would spend going by donating to the campaign.

sailingaway
07-31-2011, 07:16 PM
I heard there will be provocateurs at Ames. Get ready for some crazy sh*t to go down.

That is precisely what I am concerned about, and that some might have, last time, been legitimately supporters of Ron.

I hadn't actually 'heard' it, though. What have you heard?

MozoVote
07-31-2011, 07:38 PM
With $4 gas I don't think there are going to be a large number of out-of-state people that attend this. It might be interesting for 30 minutes to walk among the candidate tents and say that you've seen this event... but the inability to vote in the poll or see the speeches live, takes much of the incentive away.

Remember in 2007, when grassroots people were calling the Iowa GOP and demanding that they not use voting machines? The official campaign had to send out bulletins asking people to *please* leave the Iowa GOP alone!

I think it is the off-tangent "taking matters into your own hands" stuff that the official campaign doesn't want to see again.

trey4sports
07-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Damn strait i'm gon be ther make shore no cheatin n shit goes on

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv295/stevesiemens/DSCF0001_edited-1.jpg

Napoleon's Shadow
07-31-2011, 08:02 PM
@ op

SO you don't care what Ron and the campaign has asked you not to do?

radiofriendly
07-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Don't go. Especially if you really want to go (you're obsessed!) and aren't a prof filmmaker or vendor. I know it's hard...it was loads of fun last time...I performed at Ronstock. But unless the campaign contacts me, I'm going to stay out of their hair.

Yes, it's hard!

P.S. O, yeah, my pic is from backstage with Ron at Ronstock in Ames '07!
swoon!

KingRobbStark
08-01-2011, 12:52 AM
SO you don't care what Ron and the campaign has asked you not to do?

I won't go. I was just listening to this song when I was threading this thread.

Esoteric
08-01-2011, 01:07 AM
I'm going, but I'm not even wearing a Ron Paul shirt. I will be in complete stealth-mode, as I would probably encourage others to do as well. We should speak with people cordially, but I wouldn't do ANYTHING organized, ie. "END THE FED!", a parade, etc.

reduen
08-01-2011, 07:51 AM
So, Bauchmann and Pawlenty are encouraging everyone who supports them to come to Ames even if they do not live in Iowa and Steve B. is telling all Ron Paul supporters to stay home and donate if they live out of state....?

All I have to say is that we better win Ames this time...! If we do not, Steve B. has lost all credibility in my mind.

Again, the very people that they are trying to discourage from being there are likely the only one's that will go now..

thehighwaymanq
08-01-2011, 08:00 AM
So, Bauchmann and Pawlenty are encouraging everyone who supports them to come to Ames even if they do not live in Iowa and Steve B. is telling all Ron Paul supporters to stay home and donate if they live out of state....?

All I have to say is that we better win Ames this time...! If we do not, Steve B. has lost all credibility in my mind.

Again, the very people that they are trying to discourage from being there are likely the only one's that will go now..

The idea is simple and I think very efficient. Take whatever money it costs to fly there ($300), take the hotel for a night or 2 ($200) and take food and all ($40) and instead of spending $500+ dollars on being in Iowa, just donate $500 dollars. Easier and more efficient.

The Dark Knight
08-01-2011, 08:01 AM
@reduen
I dont think thats fair, if we lose Iowa, it will be because we did no get enough Iowan's to vote in the straw poll, not because we had enough out of staters show up.

The Dark Knight
08-01-2011, 08:02 AM
nm

Bruno
08-01-2011, 08:10 AM
@reduen
I dont think thats fair, if we lose Iowa, it will be because we did no get enough Iowan's to vote in the straw poll, not because we had enough out of staters show up.

+ rep

belian78
08-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Well, I'm from central IL, and I went to Ames last time. From what I remember, if I wasn't working in the tent I basically just walked the grounds talking to whoever would stop and talk to me. The only problem with that being there were hundreds of us doing the same thing. There were RP supporters openly arguing with Brownback and Huckabee workers in the event area as strawpoll attendees walked by. Looking back on it I can see where that would have turned voters off going forward, where they might have supported Ron once their guy dropped out.. So I can see where the IA staff is coming from.

I still tear up when I think of the amazing time I had last time, but as much as I want to go again, I understand why we're being asked not to.

Napoleon's Shadow
08-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Well, I'm from central IL, and I went to Ames last time. From what I remember, if I wasn't working in the tent I basically just walked the grounds talking to whoever would stop and talk to me. The only problem with that being there were hundreds of us doing the same thing. There were RP supporters openly arguing with Brownback and Huckabee workers in the event area as strawpoll attendees walked by. Looking back on it I can see where that would have turned voters off going forward, where they might have supported Ron once their guy dropped out.. So I can see where the IA staff is coming from..EXACTLY. That's what the campaign is trying to avoid this time around.

reduen
08-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Consider this DK/Bruno... Though many have seen me write this before in here, my son and I went to Ames last time. Because we did this Ron Paul received four more votes than he would have if we did not go. (Maybe more but we know of four for sure...) WE even got the few Thompson and Romney supporters to say that they changed their minds. (Who knows if they followed through...) Form experience I ran into literally no one who minded the fact that my son and I were from out of state and in fact we got many compliments for our dedication.

It is in that sense that I posted my remark above... Agree with me or not, that is certainly your choice but I did not just come up with it from the top of my head.

V4Vendetta
08-01-2011, 09:09 AM
What??? we were allowed to vote in the strawpoll if we were out of state???? How did we get to vote?? no one told me!!!!!

reduen
08-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Well, I'm from central IL, and I went to Ames last time. From what I remember, if I wasn't working in the tent I basically just walked the grounds talking to whoever would stop and talk to me. The only problem with that being there were hundreds of us doing the same thing. There were RP supporters openly arguing with Brownback and Huckabee workers in the event area as strawpoll attendees walked by. Looking back on it I can see where that would have turned voters off going forward, where they might have supported Ron once their guy dropped out.. So I can see where the IA staff is coming from.

I still tear up when I think of the amazing time I had last time, but as much as I want to go again, I understand why we're being asked not to.

Guess you were not very persuasive then, Ron Paul received more votes than he would have because I was there last time... (That can never be wrong…)

LibertyEagle
08-01-2011, 09:10 AM
What??? we were allowed to vote in the strawpoll if we were out of state???? How did we get to vote?? no one told me!!!!!

No, he's saying he convinced others to vote for Ron Paul.

sailingaway
08-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Guess you were not very persuasive then, Ron Paul received more votes than he would have because I was there last time... (That can never be wrong…)

But how many votes of people not even there would Ron LOSE by media reports of aggressive flyers against other candidates, or booing of other speakers? Or seemingly unfounded charges of vote tampering? I think people acting like they are at their grandmother's garden party trying to impress people who can hand out scholorships would be a good thing, but trolls WILL try to stir up bad behavior with 'excess enthusiasm', chanting, etc. and that is a concern. We now have an image with some GOP who don't know us, and too many have donated more than they can afford or have spent hours phonebanking to make it fair to change the tone of the event. The campaign needs to set the tone.

Give them Ames, we will have many other events.

reduen
08-01-2011, 09:18 AM

If you are referring to my post, no we were not allowed to vote. The votes that I was talking about were as follows:

1. The first security guard that we met when we arrived on campus.
2. Two nice elderly ladies that we met while holding big Ron Paul signs in the scorching heat.
3. One Ron Paul delegate who we picked up and got to the poll in time. (He had partied a bit too hard the night before and his ride left him..)

We also got video coverage of some of the shenanigans going on where they were conducting the poll and I am pretty sure we got that footage online for everyone to see… (I’d have to check that again though..)

reduen
08-01-2011, 09:20 AM
But how many votes of people not even there would Ron LOSE by media reports of aggressive flyers against other candidates, or booing of other speakers? I think people acting like they are at their grandmother's garden party trying to impress people who can hand out scholorships would be a good thing, but trolls WILL try to stir up bad behavior with 'excess enthusiasm', chanting, etc. and that is a concern. We now have an image with some GOP who don't know us, and too many have donated more than they can afford or have spent hours phonebanking to make it fair to change the tone of the event. The campaign needs to set the tone.

Sailing, these are the very people that will not listen to the campaign no matter what they say... (The ones that you are concerned about...)

sailingaway
08-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Sailing, these are the very people that will not listen to the campaign no matter what they say... (The ones that you are concerned about...)

Sigh... that has occurred to me, actually.... those who are really in it for their own rock throwing agenda, not to help Ron Paul.

belian78
08-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Where the hell did I say anything about how effective I personally was? Thank you so much for the insult. Myself, I have no doubt that I garnered Ron more attention than he would have, but that want the point of my post.

I was bringing the attention to the fact that swarms of out of staters just milling around is more of a detriment than a boon. That, and the ones being adamant about going are likely the same ones to get in verbal battles with other camps' workers, which looks very bad for Ron as well.

So you say you got Ron...wait for it.... 4 WHOLE VOTES!!! And how many others lumped you in with all the other outsiders milling around and actually used that as justification to rule Ron out as an option? Yes, I realize I'm including myself in that as well, hence why I will be abstaining from attending this year.

PaulConventionWV
08-01-2011, 09:51 AM

Let it not be said that we did nothing.

Overzealous, man. Overzealous and irrational. Let it not be said that we did nothing? Puh-lease. What are you going to do?

trey4sports
08-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Overzealous, man. Overzealous and irrational. Let it not be said that we did nothing? Puh-lease. What are you going to do?

he's screening For Liberty the night before to several hundred likely straw-poll voters...

PaulConventionWV
08-01-2011, 10:03 AM
@ op

A lot of destruction in that video. And everyone knows that's exactly what we're going to need at Ames.... right.

Travlyr
08-01-2011, 10:10 AM
There is no reason to tell people where they should or shouldn't go. Liberty is about both rights & responsibilities.

1) Do all you say you are going to do.

2) Do not encroach on other persons or their property.

That's it folks. Two simple and easy to understand "rules" through which any person with an IQ above 50 should be able to navigate their way through life. The first law governs acts of contract and civil engagement, while the second deals with acts of a more criminal nature. But together, both cover the gammut of potentialities that we all face in our daily lives.

Read the rest here: http://www.thedailybell.com/2743/Ant...at-Will-You-Do

PaulConventionWV
08-01-2011, 10:22 AM
he's screening For Liberty the night before to several hundred likely straw-poll voters...

Well, perhaps he has a reason to go, but the sort of blind opposition to the campaign that he showed in his post, I think is hurtful and unnecessary. That kind of overzealous use of catch-phrases to promote rabid activism at the straw poll is what we are trying to avoid.

KingRobbStark
08-01-2011, 11:28 AM
A lot of destruction in that video. And everyone knows that's exactly what we're going to need at Ames.... right.

Sure. Perhaps a little attention would do us some good.

HOLLYWOOD
08-01-2011, 12:00 PM

Again, the very people that they are trying to discourage from being there are likely the only one's that will go now..YEAP, appears that way... Bachmann has ramped up her Banners/Ads flying around every internet site related to Iowa, Newspapers, TV, Social, Education, Biz, etc. to join in for Ames. Smart move
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/mzcmdr/Bachmann_FOR.png

trey4sports
08-01-2011, 12:07 PM
YEAP, appears that way... Bachmann has ramped up her Banners/Ads flying around every internet site related to Iowa, Newspapers, TV, Social, Education, Biz, etc. to join in for Ames. Smart move

While it sucks she is doing this, remember that the vast majority of straw poll voters will not be reached via the internet.

LibertyEagle
08-01-2011, 12:09 PM
@ op

That's cute and all, but Rage Against the Machine is a MARXIST POS group. Nice choice. :rolleyes:

If you want to HELP the campaign, contact the campaign and start calling Iowans to get them to the Straw poll. That will do far more good than attending from out-of-state.

sailingaway
08-01-2011, 12:12 PM
YEAP, appears that way... Bachmann has ramped up her Banners/Ads flying around every internet site related to Iowa, Newspapers, TV, Social, Education, Biz, etc. to join in for Ames. Smart move

I saw that, and think it might mean Ron comes in second, frankly. And think Ron should do it too. But it doesn't mean come from out of state, when you can't even vote.

HOLLYWOOD
08-01-2011, 12:14 PM
While it sucks she is doing this, remember that the vast majority of straw poll voters will not be reached via the internet.It's a very very cost effective operation, which requires very little resources(man hours) to sustain.

Has anyone sighed up for Bachmann's AMES push to see exactly how they are handling this? Didn't Romney and Huckabee do some payola stuff in Iowa last time around?

Reminds me of Romney busing and paying people in the Nevada Caucus to vote...

REID with his gift cards and free lunches to vote or participate...

Can't recall what else may have happen in Iowa 2007?

HOLLYWOOD
08-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I saw that, and think it might mean Ron comes in second, frankly. And think Ron should do it too. But it doesn't mean come from out of state, when you can't even vote.Correct, that is why doing the research around Iowa's internet and highest traffic websites and communities... she has these ads WITHIN Iowa.

Bachmann's enrollment page... they will assist in transportation... she's doing this on Twitter and FB too.
h xxp://ames.michelebachmann.com/?cdtrack_creative=2e10f281-ac91-4c39-a9b2-7b33de7ef630&cdtrack_source=96c441f1-b1b6-44c9-82e4-4f57db71ddf8

reduen
08-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Where the hell did I say anything about how effective I personally was? Thank you so much for the insult. Myself, I have no doubt that I garnered Ron more attention than he would have, but that want the point of my post.

I was bringing the attention to the fact that swarms of out of staters just milling around is more of a detriment than a boon. That, and the ones being adamant about going are likely the same ones to get in verbal battles with other camps' workers, which looks very bad for Ron as well.

So you say you got Ron...wait for it.... 4 WHOLE VOTES!!! And how many others lumped you in with all the other outsiders milling around and actually used that as justification to rule Ron out as an option? Yes, I realize I'm including myself in that as well, hence why I will be abstaining from attending this year.

While it wasn't meant to be an insult, continue with this type of attitude and I know why you should stay home this time.... "4 Whole votes" is better than nothing and those are the only votes that I can be at least 99% sure of. (They could have been lying to me but I doubt it…) We talked to hundreds more people and may have done much better than that but there is no way for me to know as I did not get to follow up with them.

By the way, how many votes did Ron loose by at SRLC in LA time before last? (Hint: less than 4...)

Go, don't go, it is up to you of course but I am just saying that in my opinion most of us do more good than harm in this situation and to discourage us is only going to have the opposite effect in the end. By doing so, you are only going to get those who will not listen to anybody to show up and you are also disappointing some of Ron Paul’s most active supporters…