PDA

View Full Version : RP Text Message Campaign?

Jackie Treehorn
07-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Does anybody know if there's an official Ron Paul text subscription campaign? If there is one, I can't seem to find it (maybe I'm going blind). I know Romney has one and it would be an awesome tool to keep current supporters updated and possibly attract (and keep) new supporters.

If there isn't a text campaign, is there any way we could start one?

Jackie Treehorn
07-17-2011, 12:33 PM
bump?

thehighwaymanq
07-17-2011, 12:50 PM
From what I know, there isn't one yet. I would expect it to be set up soon?

Add that to the list of things that I would like to see happen.

I know Obama was HUGE with the text messages in 2008, going after the kids.

ronpaulhawaii
07-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Not official, but I have been working on an unofficial one... These things are remarkably expensive, (but we have an in...) I am doing fundraising this week (looking for maxxed out donors to pledge for start up costs... need $9000 for the best option, $6500 for option number 2)

Patrick Henry
07-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Not official, but I have been working on an unofficial one... These things are remarkably expensive, (but we have an in...) I am doing fundraising this week (looking for maxxed out donors to pledge for start up costs... need $9000 for the best option, $6500 for option number 2)

yikes!

ronpaulhawaii
07-17-2011, 01:21 PM
yikes!

Oh, that aint the half of it. Short Codes are EXPENSIVE

Dedicated short codes are dedicated for one customer, and are costly and take awhile to set up – in the U.S. it can cost anywhere from $15,000 to $30,000 per year and take two months to get it ready. http://gigaom.com/2007/03/16/10-things-to-know-about-short-codes/

and that is just for the shortcode. Add on top of that the msg costs which best I can find from other vendors is 2 cents per, (we can get them MUCH cheaper) and then Keyword costs (what people text in, that puts the number into different project buckets) Those are $25 a month (but my contact will give us unlimited for free...) Without letting the cat out of the bag, I have studied what Obama did and we will be setting up 10's of 1000s of "Keywords"

The bottom line is that we are talking about the start up costs above, and about $3500 a month, but that will give us a system worth millions.

Question, if I can raise the start up costs, will forum members help raise the monthly costs, either by donating, or getting others to donate? Done right, the system will eventually pay for itself, but we will need to get a LOT of users before that point.

Keith and stuff
07-17-2011, 02:49 PM
It looks like Bachmann is the only one that I saw pushing this. It says text her on the side of her bus. I know it doesn't say it on the Ron Paul signs :(

ballejohn
07-17-2011, 02:49 PM
You don't always have to buy your very own short code though. You can go through a broker instead of working directly with the carriers, and that can be much cheaper with low volume. However once doing big volume you obviously want your own short code.

Please PM with a few more details on the project and I'll do my best to help with all problem solving.

ronpaulhawaii
07-17-2011, 03:05 PM
You don't always have to buy your very own short code though. You can go through a broker instead of working directly with the carriers, and that can be much cheaper with low volume. However once doing big volume you obviously want your own short code.

Please PM with a few more details on the project and I'll do my best to help with all problem solving.

I already have some low volume systems running. One issue is the two to three month wait time for setting up the short code. Will send pm in a few...

trey4sports
07-17-2011, 03:26 PM

and that is just for the shortcode. Add on top of that the msg costs which best I can find from other vendors is 2 cents per, (we can get them MUCH cheaper) and then Keyword costs (what people text in, that puts the number into different project buckets) Those are $25 a month (but my contact will give us unlimited for free...) Without letting the cat out of the bag, I have studied what Obama did and we will be setting up 10's of 1000s of "Keywords"

The bottom line is that we are talking about the start up costs above, and about $3500 a month, but that will give us a system worth millions.

Question, if I can raise the start up costs, will forum members help raise the monthly costs, either by donating, or getting others to donate? Done right, the system will eventually pay for itself, but we will need to get a LOT of users before that point.

sounds like a great idea, im just not sure as to what a text message service will do? Is it to help mobilize volunteers and supporters? Or is it more of a system to answer questions about Dr. Paul and encourage folks to support?

Paulatized
07-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Would this be something this guy would set up?

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanWenzel View Post
Thank you everyone for your support. I've been in contact with the e-campaign director and have submitted my resume. It couldn't have happened without you guys and I truly do appreciate that.

ronpaulhawaii
07-17-2011, 03:48 PM
sounds like a great idea, im just not sure as to what a text message service will do? Is it to help mobilize volunteers and supporters? Or is it more of a system to answer questions about Dr. Paul and encourage folks to support?

It can be used for both mobilization and breaking news reporting. For instance, we could have sent out a blast about the Military donations... It is being set up so groups (local and national) can utilize it via keywords. Such things as event alerts, bill lobbying, moneybomb reminders, etc...

Would this be something this guy would set up?

He is a soc-net guy and I am already setting it up.

The person who contacted me with this owns the company. The costs I am talking about are basically his costs (IOW dirt cheap, considering) If anyone reading this is maxxed out and want to help, please send me a PM...

Edit, this system will be used with high sensitivity to the official campaigns needs and desires...

jbuttell
07-17-2011, 03:58 PM
this of course wouldnt work for everyone, but perhaps an iPhone/android app? other than app dev, it would be about the cheapest way. People could download the free app, campaign could push out messages fairly inexpensively. To the user, it really wouldn't be much different, possibly better.

ronpaulhawaii
07-17-2011, 04:04 PM
this of course wouldnt work for everyone, but perhaps an iPhone/android app? other than app dev, it would be about the cheapest way. People could download the free app, campaign could push out messages fairly inexpensively. To the user, it really wouldn't be much different, possibly better.

Android
http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-epage-android-ronpaul-zCzAq.aspx

Apple
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ron-paul/id367050609?mt=8

jbuttell
07-17-2011, 04:21 PM
nice... !! thank, looks great.