PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Will they raise the debt ceiling

Carehn
07-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Yes. Me thinks the Republicrat party is the party of ever backing down. They have made it an art. No other party has ever been so successful at sucking and making it look like they won.

Southron
07-17-2011, 07:43 AM
They will give in. Will they get serious spending cuts? I believe not. I see a short term limit increase and it starts all over again in several months.

cindy25
07-17-2011, 07:43 AM
I can't say yet; last week it looked like the Rs would cave, but time is getting so tight, Obama is so stubborn, that he just may let it happen.

ghengis86
07-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Midnight, emergency vote to raise debt ceiling ( and hide some more draconian laws in the same bill )

olehounddog
07-17-2011, 07:53 AM
A midnight vote with some kind of god awful attachment thrown in for good measure. Im with you on that one.

Carehn
07-17-2011, 08:04 AM
never thought about the attachments. How soon i forget. Nothing like a panic vote to outlaw free speech or something.

dean.engelhardt
07-17-2011, 08:09 AM
The majority of (R)s want the debt limit raised as much as the (D)s. They'll putting on a good show for the voters. There might be a day or two of shutdown. Then we'll get the same speeches we heard when they voted for TARP and the auto bailouts; "This is a vote I'll regret but I have to do it for the good of the country .... blah blah blah".

Bottom line is politicians get re-elected for spending money on large corporate donors and large voting blocks. Looking tough for a couple of days earns points with tea party voter but has little effect on long term spending.

dean.engelhardt
07-17-2011, 08:13 AM
The majority of (R)s want the debt limit raised as much as the (D)s. They'll putting on a good show for the voters. There might be a day or two of shutdown. Then we'll get the same speeches we heard when they voted for TARP and the auto bailouts; "This is a vote I'll regret but I have to do it for the good of the country .... blah blah blah".

Bottom line is politicians get re-elected for spending money on large corporate donors and large voting blocks. Looking tough for a couple of days earns points with tea party voter but has little effect on long term spending.

This is why it is soooo important to put RP in the White House. He'd veto these awful budgets and 2/3 of the congress would have to overturn the veto. Then the light is turn on the scoundrels.

Travlyr
07-17-2011, 08:14 AM
I am skeptical that this is anything other than theatre. As said in earlier posts, they will raise the debt limit at midnight with all sorts of horrendous attachments. They will "fight" over how much it should be raised. That is the easy part for me ... raise it to $120 quadrillion and then vote to recess.

dean.engelhardt
07-17-2011, 08:14 AM
duplicate, sorry

cindy25
07-17-2011, 08:17 AM
even 1 day is a problem; SS checks go out -90% by direct deposit-on the 3rd. while MONTHLY revenue would easily cover them, no way would 1 day (the revenue of August 3rd) do it.

amonasro
07-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Even if it doesn't get raised the stock market will tank the next day, everyone will freak out and the media will proclaim that the end of the world has arrived. They'll get some emergency thing pushed through and Congress will applaud itself for saving us from Armageddon.

TCE
07-17-2011, 03:05 PM
I lol'd. 32 to 0. There you go. I am giving it about a 1% chance it doesn't get raised. As Boehner and the Republicans have stated several times, they don't want a government shutdown and they want to raise the debt ceiling. As I've said in the past, our only hope is that they wait so long to get it done that Rand has a chance to filibuster it and they get past their deadline. Other than that, hopefully all of us aren't letting this worry us and focusing on more important things...like what's for dinner.

headhawg7
07-17-2011, 10:00 PM
There is NO doubt in my mind that they will raise it. The republicans will be promised spending cuts to be made in the future with some minor($5B a year for maybe 10 years) cuts to take place now. Boehner and the other so-called "conservatives" will cave. No doubt in my mind.

Brett85
07-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Unfortunately, yes.

Pauls' Revere
07-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Will they raise the debt ceiling? Yes. Should they? No. Once again the GOP will cave in and the Repulicrat/Demopublican will further illustrate that what we have is a one party system and that there is no real difference between GOP/DEM.

Pauls' Revere
07-17-2011, 11:04 PM
You could write to them if you think that helps.

http://senate.gov/

http://www.house.gov/

AuH20
07-17-2011, 11:09 PM
I think they'll raise it, but they'll need democrats to bridge the gap in the house.

Anti Federalist
07-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Midnight, emergency vote to raise debt ceiling ( and hide some more draconian laws in the same bill )

A midnight vote with some kind of god awful attachment thrown in for good measure. Im with you on that one.

never thought about the attachments. How soon i forget. Nothing like a panic vote to outlaw free speech or something.

I am skeptical that this is anything other than theatre. As said in earlier posts, they will raise the debt limit at midnight with all sorts of horrendous attachments. They will "fight" over how much it should be raised. That is the easy part for me ... raise it to $120 quadrillion and then vote to recess.

All of that ^^^

I suspect the same thing myself, a midnight bum's rush with a series of God awful "riders" attached to it.

amonasro
07-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Like a cheap tent in a storm, they will cave.

amy31416
07-18-2011, 12:01 AM
They'll buckle like a belt. Sink like a three-foot-putt. Drop like a bad transmission.

It's all bullshit.

Anti Federalist
07-18-2011, 12:06 AM
They'll buckle like a belt. Sink like a three-foot-putt. Drop like a bad transmission.

It's all bullshit.

And the end result will look...

Uglier than a pan of smashed assholes.

amy31416
07-18-2011, 12:11 AM
And the end result will look...

Uglier than a pan of smashed assholes.

Almost got it!

Pan **full** of smashed assholes. :p

Say it out loud, there's a world of difference.

Anti Federalist
07-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Almost got it!

Pan **full** of smashed assholes. :p

Say it out loud, there's a world of difference.

LoL - there IS

Sorry about that, I fucked up your dad's phrase as bad as a snake in a lawnmower.

amy31416
07-18-2011, 12:18 AM
LoL - there IS

Sorry about that, I fucked up your dad's phrase as bad as a snake in a lawnmower.

You're all right. And I need to go to sleep. :)