PDA

View Full Version : HAH!: TAKIMAG: An Alien Pod Person in a Room Full of Leftists

Cowlesy
07-16-2011, 06:51 PM
This describes my chats with left friends to a TEE.

http://takimag.com/article/an_alien_pod_person_in_a_room_full_of_leftists

Culture Clash
An Alien Pod Person in a Room Full of Leftists

by Gavin McInnes

http://takimag.com/images/uploads/invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-78.jpg

There is a phenomenon here in the Northeast where being conservative—no, wait, being not left—is to turn everyone in the room into Donald Sutherland from Invasion of the Body Snatchers, screaming and pointing at you as if you’re an alien pod person.

I hear Berkeley is bad, and Madison is the only place I’ve ever seen one-person protest marches, but here in New York things are intense. It is a given that the political right is a cartoon pig who will do anything for money and wants everyone who isn’t a cartoon pig to die. The End. Nobody has ever questioned this and every time I do, it creates a hole in the space-time continuum that swallows the entire universe, or at least ruins the party.

During a break while I was working on a travel show recently, Anthony Bourdain was sitting at the lunch table and mentioned he’d like to skin Glenn Beck alive. Everyone nodded as if he’d said he enjoys tiramisu. I kept my mouth shut. A few months earlier I was in a similar environment when a cameraman casually mentioned he’d like to “kick Sarah Palin in the cunt.” This got the same placid reaction and when I begged to differ, it started a two-hour argument that ruined everybody’s day. That’s the problem with grazing amid a leftist herd. You’re constantly on the edge of a huge argument.

But when you don’t say anything, you hate yourself. I was on vacation in Mexico with a group consisting mostly of comedy writers, and a conversation began about Al Gore’s wonderfulness. I kept my mouth shut because I didn’t want to bum everyone out (especially my wife), but I didn’t sleep well that night and it still bothers me.

tons more at the link here and well worth the read (http://takimag.com/article/an_alien_pod_person_in_a_room_full_of_leftists)

Cowlesy
07-16-2011, 08:00 PM
ahhh can't believe this flopped. Would think my fellow rightists would like it. I'm getting too cynical in my old age!

flightlesskiwi
07-16-2011, 08:05 PM
sweet find!!

sailingaway
07-16-2011, 08:18 PM
It's a funny article, but the thread title suggests something different....

aGameOfThrones
07-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Tony stood back up and explained the merits of wind and solar power. Germany was doing well with wind, and his house was now completely solar. I commended both him and Germany but said these tiny solutions are decades from doing anything substantial and it would involve a massive infrastructure. “Who’s going to build it?” I asked.

“The government,” Tony responded. “We need to force the government to stop doing whatever the oil companies tell them to do and we need them to start creating green jobs.”

//

sailingaway
07-16-2011, 08:23 PM
“Wait, do you believe in global warming?” What happened next is what happens every time you depart from orthodoxy: group panic. We’ve all been there. You don’t want to wreck everyone’s good time and you wish everyone could keep cool, but allowing their hysteria to censor you is ridiculous, so you open your big mouth. “I’m dubious,” I said. He didn’t believe me. I assured him I wasn’t kidding. He remained skeptical. I finally convinced him I wasn’t playing devil’s advocate.

Bang! Tony is up on his feet and his finger is in my face. (They always do that.) “Do you realize that 60% of this country believes in creationism? That’s who you’re associating yourself with. Do you believe in creationism, too?” I stood up and tried to explain the logical fallacy of guilt by association, but now his wife and two other people were standing and finger-pointing, too. “Don’t you think it’s strange that the science against global warming is all funded by oil companies?” Then they did this thing liberals do where they make a sarcastic idiot face with their finger on their chin and say, “Hmm, I wonder why that could be? Gee, I guess they care about science. Yeah, that’s it.” I had to yell to be heard at this point and kept saying, “I don’t care who’s saying it or what anyone’s motive is to say anything. John Wayne Gacy can tell me murder is wrong, and it’s still wrong. All I care about is the facts.” I told them Hitler used toilet paper but that doesn’t mean we’re tied in with his shit just because we use it, too. I even yelled, “All cats are mammals. All dogs are mammals. All cats are not dogs.” But I couldn’t get a word in edgewise. This screaming match wasn’t meant to get to the truth. It was meant to wake me up from being an ignorant heretic who’d chosen the Dark Side. They allowed zero possibility I knew what I was talking about. I disagreed with them and therefore I was ignorant.

I've been there....

amy31416
07-16-2011, 08:25 PM
ahhh can't believe this flopped. Would think my fellow rightists would like it. I'm getting too cynical in my old age!

I feel your pain...imagine hanging out with East Coast academics--and I didn't even consider myself conservative at the time, but an independent who happened to think that welfare was detrimental to the recipients, that gun control was for wusses (and didn't solve anything), and I also had a saying that laws are for those who can't think independently. I considered research "grants" a snobbish form of begging for handouts too.

The arguments that upset them the most were on gun control (or lack thereof) and welfare. Oh yeah, and arguments against affirmative action, that'd get their panties in a twist. I actually got called an extremist and a racist several times. The latter being because I refused to go into an all-black club in a rough part of DC.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2011, 08:26 PM
During a break while I was working on a travel show recently, Anthony Bourdain was sitting at the lunch table and mentioned he’d like to skin Glenn Beck alive

I wonder about that.

Bourdain is a self described libertarian, but based on some quick research, methinks he's "libertarian" in the same way Bill Maher is "libertarian", which is to say, they are not.

sailingaway
07-16-2011, 08:30 PM
I wonder about that.

Bourdain is a self described libertarian, but based on some quick research, methinks he's "libertarian" in the same way Bill Maher is "libertarian", which is to say, they are not.

Nor is Beck.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Nor is Beck.

True, that.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2011, 08:34 PM
And they call us obnoxious and overbearing...yeah, right.

“Wait, do you believe in global warming?” What happened next is what happens every time you depart from orthodoxy: group panic. We’ve all been there. You don’t want to wreck everyone’s good time and you wish everyone could keep cool, but allowing their hysteria to censor you is ridiculous, so you open your big mouth. “I’m dubious,” I said. He didn’t believe me. I assured him I wasn’t kidding. He remained skeptical. I finally convinced him I wasn’t playing devil’s advocate.

Bang! Tony is up on his feet and his finger is in my face. (They always do that.) “Do you realize that 60% of this country believes in creationism? That’s who you’re associating yourself with. Do you believe in creationism, too?” I stood up and tried to explain the logical fallacy of guilt by association, but now his wife and two other people were standing and finger-pointing, too. “Don’t you think it’s strange that the science against global warming is all funded by oil companies?” Then they did this thing liberals do where they make a sarcastic idiot face with their finger on their chin and say, “Hmm, I wonder why that could be? Gee, I guess they care about science. Yeah, that’s it.” I had to yell to be heard at this point and kept saying, “I don’t care who’s saying it or what anyone’s motive is to say anything. John Wayne Gacy can tell me murder is wrong, and it’s still wrong. All I care about is the facts.” I told them Hitler used toilet paper but that doesn’t mean we’re tied in with his shit just because we use it, too. I even yelled, “All cats are mammals. All dogs are mammals. All cats are not dogs.” But I couldn’t get a word in edgewise. This screaming match wasn’t meant to get to the truth. It was meant to wake me up from being an ignorant heretic who’d chosen the Dark Side. They allowed zero possibility I knew what I was talking about. I disagreed with them and therefore I was ignorant.

amy31416
07-16-2011, 08:41 PM
I wonder about that.

That's a shame, I like Bourdain. But it's easy to understand how intelligent people might dislike Beck, regardless of their political persuasion.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2011, 08:56 PM
That's a shame, I like Bourdain. But it's easy to understand how intelligent people might dislike Beck, regardless of their political persuasion.

Well, I happen to as well, that should be one of the shining, gleaming differences between us and the screaming, shrill lefties in the OP, that we can still enjoy someone's art, or cooking or singing or acting and not care what their political opinions may be, even if wrong.

Were it not for the power of the state, these people would be irrelevant.

BTW - Here's what I found on Bourdain:

Supports gun control

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_aSglGw88U&feature=player_embedded

Voted for O-Bomb-ya

A disappointment to me personally for someone I admired. I was very happy when he was elected President. I certainly voted for him and I was very happy when he was elected. I wish he’d get angry.

Is in favor of legalizing the drugs he likes:

Anthony Bourdain: Wish I could take them, can’t. Can’t do heroin anymore. Cocaine can’t do that. These feel good otherwise people wouldn’t do them. I like smoking weed but it’s a very, very, very rare occasion where I can do it. Because I need my brain when I’m around my daughter. I might be called on to make a decision. But I mean I’m for them. But I’m against crack. Cocaine should be illegal, crystal meth should be illegal because you’re a menace to others on crack. Very, very, very quickly you’re a bad person and then there are crack babies. You don’t actually rob to hurt people but even after you rob them you hurt them because you’re tweaking. But heroin I mean they should probably legalise that.

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2011/05/23/anthony-bourdain-interview-2/

I've also seen references that he supports single payer healthcare, although I can find nothing concrete for that.

angelatc
07-16-2011, 09:08 PM
I can't believe you guys still have liberal friends.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2011, 09:21 PM

I don't have many friends, liberal or otherwise.

But a tale of two acquaintances that I know well, one, a central FL Evangelical that was of the opinion that that the enemies of Israel must all be exterminated, the other, a Jewish liberal from Manhattan and I was able to bring both, both of them, to Ron Paul.

And that was even taking the angry, snowball throwing, tack.

Point is, if you have your facts straight and keep your cool, neither neocon friends nor liberal friends, will be able to badger, unnerve or shake your resolve.

And our side is in possession of the facts and truth.

Southron
07-16-2011, 09:29 PM
I feel sorry for anyone who has to put up with that. You have much more patience than I do.

Most people I know lean towards limited gubmint. It's just a matter of to what degree they believe in it.

amy31416
07-16-2011, 10:00 PM

I don't anymore...closest I have to "liberal" friends are some Blue Dog democrat relatives. They're almost as bad as neocons.

amy31416
07-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Well, I happen to as well, that should be one of the shining, gleaming differences between us and the screaming, shrill lefties in the OP, that we can still enjoy someone's art, or cooking or singing or acting and not care what their political opinions may be, even if wrong.

Were it not for the power of the state, these people would be irrelevant.

BTW - Here's what I found on Bourdain:

Supports gun control

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_aSglGw88U&feature=player_embedded

Voted for O-Bomb-ya

Is in favor of legalizing the drugs he likes:

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2011/05/23/anthony-bourdain-interview-2/

I've also seen references that he supports single payer healthcare, although I can find nothing concrete for that.

Yeah, it'd just be nifty if he were closer to a Ron Paul-type libertarian. I'll still watch his show, he's really good at what he does.

AceNZ
07-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Apparently Americans’ lifespan is still on the same upward trajectory it’s always been; it’s just that “some” experts “predict” that it “could” decline. I announced that to the people by the front door and then added, “You people don’t just think it could decline. You want it to decline. You look forward to your own extinction. And that is the fundamental difference between you and me.”

The quote above was the most insightful observation in the article, IMO. It's great to see someone who gets it.

angelatc
07-16-2011, 10:30 PM
I don't anymore...closest I have to "liberal" friends are some Blue Dog democrat relatives. They're almost as bad as neocons.

I don't either. I don't find that they're much interested in truth, or even my opinion, except in the context of the original article. Heck, even the Republicans don't care for me much any more, but I find I have better luck keeping my mouth shut around them.

Revolution9
07-16-2011, 10:40 PM
I don't have many friends, liberal or otherwise.

Heck. I wish you lived in my neighborhood. We could spend hours cutting up whilst testing various coffees and smoke. I could watch Braveheart a few dozen more times with ya:)

Rev9

Revolution9
07-16-2011, 10:50 PM
I don't either. I don't find that they're much interested in truth, or even my opinion, except in the context of the original article. Heck, even the Republicans don't care for me much any more, but I find I have better luck keeping my mouth shut around them.

I get much the same. One thing that did surprise me in Atlanta in 2008 was getting dragged to Republican meetings by Ike Hall and being surrounded by older church going conservative republican types asking me all kinds of questions and wanting me to get up and give them "don't fear the bastards..that is what they are after" siss-boom-bah speeches, asking me to BBQ's at their house and generally treating me like a good pal. I don't really act any different there and am a bit of a loud mouth about issues and calling folks out and the older fogies seemed to like that. When I run into these liberal or anarchic in your face wackwitches i just tell them to piss off when they start a confrontatory spew - they ain't smart enough to debate with me if they can't stick to facts or understand a simple analogy instead of hacking away at straw men like some agitated speed freak at a mosquito..or whatever euphemism fits the shoe up the ass at the moment. If they keep the hissy fit up I just stereotype them as a hissy fit whiner and spin their whole gambit back at them on its head. Works great. Don't get mad while you are doing it and watch them blow their gasket.

Rev9

Anti Federalist
07-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Heck. I wish you lived in my neighborhood. We could spend hours cutting up whilst testing various coffees and smoke. I could watch Braveheart a few dozen more times with ya:)

Rev9

I may take you up on that one day.

The door is open on the NH end if you find yourself up this way sometime. ;)

I just watched Braveheart again the other night.

"So, she came to see you, personally?"

"Aye."

"You must have made quite an impression."

"Aye"

"I dinna think you were in the tent long enough!"

TER
07-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Well written blogpost! Good find!

Nate
07-16-2011, 11:35 PM
The self described "liberals" are just as close minded & intellectually lazy as the "religious right" social conservatives they criticize & despise so much. I find them worse actually, people of the social-con persuasion for the most part openly admit that much of what they believe is based on FAITH while the indoctrinated "liberals" push their trash "science" as FACT. They commit all kinds of logically fallacious arguments time after time & become openly angry when presented with data that contradicts their pre-conceived prejudices.

Watch
07-17-2011, 12:56 AM
The best way to expose the phoney liberals is to ask them what Liberalism means. I can wager they don't even know.
Free dictionary dot com definition:

a. A political theory founded on the natural goodness of humans and the autonomy of the individual and favoring civil and political liberties, government by law with the consent of the governed, and protection from arbitrary authority.

Well hell, this sounds like Libertarianism now-a-days. How can our current bureaucracy create abundance for all? If one does their history(one of my liberal friends told me that doing history is a waste of time) they will see that liberalism died a long time ago. I do not endorse namesake. I won't even call myself a Libertarian. My name is such and such and this is what I want, and people seem to not be able to swallow that.