PDA

View Full Version : House Votes to Save Traditional Light Bulbs(GE doesn't like it)

aGameOfThrones
07-16-2011, 05:32 PM
The U.S. House approved a provision to save for a year the 100-watt incandescent light bulb, which has become a pear-shaped symbol of personal freedom to some Republicans.

Lawmakers passed on a voice vote an amendment to energy- spending legislation for fiscal year 2012 barring the Energy Department from implementing or enforcing lighting-efficiency standards set by 2007 legislation. The law would effectively push the traditional bulbs off store shelves, starting with the 100-watt version next year.

Republicans passed the amendment over objections from Democrats, environmental groups and lighting manufacturers such as Fairfield, Connecticut-based General Electric Co. (GE), which have retooled factories and products to meet the new standards. Critics said consumers should be able to buy the cheapest bulbs on the market.

The House passed the spending bill that includes the light- bulb amendment by a 219-196 vote, with 10 Democrats joining the majority and 21 Republicans opposing the measure.

The National Electrical Manufacturers Association, which includes Fairfield, Connecticut-based General Electric Co., said in a letter to Congress that the bill would “strand millions of dollars in investment,” create “regulatory uncertainty,” and increase energy use in the U.S.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-15/house-votes-to-save-traditional-light-bulbs.html

Anti Federalist
07-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Republicans passed the amendment over objections from Democrats, environmental groups and lighting manufacturers such as Fairfield, Connecticut-based General Electric Co. (GE), which have retooled factories and products to meet the new standards

Oh, what corporatist horseshit!

GE isn't retooling shit. All they did is shut down everything in the US and outsource it to China. Now they're wheezing about it because the mark up on the Chinese made crap isn't as great on incandescents as it is on CFLs.

Fuck a bunch of military/industrial complex GE, hope they choke on it.

Light bulb factory closes; End of era for U.S. means more jobs overseas

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/07/AR2010090706933.html

By Peter Whoriskey
Wednesday, September 8, 2010; 9:48 PM

WINCHESTER, VA. - The last major GE factory making ordinary incandescent light bulbs in the United States is closing this month, marking a small, sad exit for a product and company that can trace their roots to Thomas Alva Edison's innovations in the 1870s.

Danke
07-16-2011, 06:12 PM
http://www.centennialbulb.org/ctbulb.jpg

http://www.centennialbulb.org/photos.htm

kah13176
07-16-2011, 07:04 PM
It WILL fail in the Senate, and if, by some miracle it doesn't, Obama WILL veto it.

Anti Federalist
07-17-2011, 12:09 AM
///

KingRobbStark
07-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Obama will probably veto it if it gets past congress.

Kludge
07-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Ridiculous distraction. Incandescent light-bulbs are crazy-inefficient and current-gen CFL lights have no significant environmental impact other than putting out a shit-ton of energy in light instead of outputting it as unwanted, wasteful heat. Plenty of places sell CFL bulbs under $.50/bulb. Go to Lowe's and look for a box of 'em. You'll probably get them closer to $.20/bulb up-front even going to a B&M store. I mean - why the fuck would anyone want to purchase an incandescent lightbulb -- looking to cook eggs on it? - Don't feel like the utility companies are corn-holing you enough?

-- And that's why government doesn't need this absurd bill, and also why we shouldn't be talking about this. Corporations are already bending to what's left of the public's rationality - offering cheap, efficient bulbs to replace obsolete technology. Even CFL is obsolete. Bring on the LED lights. 3w LED = 60w incan.? -- Bring it the fuck on, my corporate overlords. Democrats are so fucking late on this -- how anyone could see either sides' arguments as anything but theatrical pandering on an inconsequential topic is beyond me.

Echoes
07-17-2011, 12:24 AM
Obama is a fascist, of course he'll veto it.

Echoes
07-17-2011, 12:27 AM
Ridiculous distraction. Incandescent light-bulbs are crazy-inefficient and current-gen CFL lights have no significant environmental impact other than putting out a shit-ton of energy in light instead of outputting it as unwanted, wasteful heat. Plenty of places sell CFL bulbs under $.50/bulb. Go to Lowe's and look for a box of 'em. You'll probably get them closer to $.20/bulb up-front even going to a B&M store. I mean - why the fuck would anyone want to purchase an incandescent lightbulb -- looking to cook eggs on it? - Don't feel like the utility companies are corn-holing you enough?

-- And that's why government doesn't need this absurd bill, and also why we shouldn't be talking about this. Corporations are already bending to what's left of the public's rationality - offering cheap, efficient bulbs to replace obsolete technology. Even CFL is obsolete. Bring on the LED lights. 3w LED = 60w incan.? -- Bring it the fuck on, my corporate overlords. Democrats are so fucking late on this -- how anyone could see either sides' arguments as anything but theatrical pandering on an inconsequential topic is beyond me.

Kidding, right ? :confused:

Kludge
07-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Kidding, right ? :confused:
No. Current-gen CFL bulbs produce no significant harmful effects on the environment. The tiny effects they do have are massively outweighed by the incredible efficiency they offer. There's no reason I can imagine why a typical consumer would want to purchase an incandescent light-bulb, and also no reason why government thinks it needs to intervene.

This is really a non-issue when there are bills out there really affecting our choices. This is like the condemning the FDA for forbidding the sale of contaminated meat while a corporation selling something like Avandia causes roughly one-hundred-thousand heart attacks and had the government bureaucracy previously call it safe and beneficial.

This light-bulb theater is totally insignificant in the grand scheme of what's happening in this country right now.

Revolution9
07-17-2011, 12:52 AM
No. Current-gen CFL bulbs produce no significant harmful effects on the environment.

They are stunningly lousy to paint under, do color adjustment to anything in and skintones look zombie-esque. I would rather burn an incandescent than watch TV anyday. They ...CFL's...give me a headache after a few hours reading under one as well. Probably all part of the no arts dumb down agenda:)

Rev9

kah13176
07-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Hey Kludge, have you considered this:

Humans evolved under the same type of radiation emitted by traditional light bulbs - i.e. light from the sun and light from traditional bulbs is very similar and spans the entire visible light spectrum, as well as a little infrared and UV. Certain biological processes have developed in humans that can only take place under incandescent light. For example, Vitamin D production, but there are many others that come into play as well, some even unknown. The eyes have adapted to work best in natural light as well. Too much artificial light may do damage that we don't yet know about. This may be why so many people report headaches after too much exposure to artificial light.

These new light bulbs ONLY emit light of very specific wavelengths. Biological process don't work with these very specific bands - they need the entire spectrum of light as emitted by both the Sun and traditional bulbs. It's already been shown that the new LED and "energy efficient" bulbs cause an array of negative side-effects on people's health. For example, several studies have been conducted where schools have been repurposed with the new energy efficient bulbs. In all of the studies, there was a statistically significant increase in depression among the students as well as other health problems. So imagine in the winter, when the day is short and students are coerced to spend most of the day in school. It only makes sense that there would be negative consequences after being deprived of natural light for several months.

Furthermore, 10th amendment. Government should not interfere in the economy. I could go on and on about this light bulb shit. It's wrong on so many levels: morally, economically, biologically, environmentally....

Kludge
07-17-2011, 01:02 AM
I'd like to see those studies showing statistically-significant adverse health effects from using CFL bulbs. We use CFL bulbs in this home, and my mood has been significantly improved over previously, very unlikely due to the bulb type being replaced.

@Rev9 - I think that's actually a valid point. I remember high school when we had a make-up room using halogen lights. Bad idea.

kah13176
07-17-2011, 01:04 AM
I'd like to see those studies showing statistically-significant adverse health effects from using CFL bulbs. We use CFL bulbs in this home, and my mood has been significantly improved over previously, very unlikely due to the bulb type being replaced.

@Rev9 - I think that's actually a valid point. I remember high school when we had a make-up room using halogen lights. Bad idea.

I'll find them tomorrow, but I find it ridiculous that a so-called libertarian is apparently in favor of government intrusion into the economy. If you want to use them, that's one thing. But to FORCE people like me to use them is wrong no matter how you cut it.

Kludge
07-17-2011, 01:06 AM
I'll find them tomorrow, but I find it ridiculous that a so-called libertarian is apparently in favor of government intrusion into the economy. If you want to use them, that's one thing. But to FORCE people like me to use them is wrong no matter how you cut it.
I repeatedly called the government law absurd, but we have way more important shit to do than protest government forcing efficient light-bulbs. I'd also like to know if you have damning evidence against LED lights, which will replace CFL (and already is).

Danke
07-17-2011, 01:07 AM
Need a poll. You know my vote.

kah13176
07-17-2011, 01:10 AM
I mean, when you stare at a computer screen for a very long time, many people get headaches. The new lights emit wavelengths identical to computer screens. Having those lights illuminate your home, especially at night is the equivalent of staring at a computer screen no matter what you're doing.

Again, it may not affect everyone, but it sure does me.

Kludge
07-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Need a poll. You know my vote.
Hey Danke, would you mind telling Amy the difference between APA and IPA? I can't legally purchase it yet, and every time I send her in for IPA, I get this bitter, "dark," glop I don't want to drink.

Danke
07-17-2011, 01:22 AM
Hey Danke, would you mind telling Amy the difference between APA and IPA? I can't legally purchase it yet, and every time I send her in for IPA, I get this bitter, "dark," glop I don't want to drink.

I don't think I'd ever want to tell Amy anything. I'd rather take death by unga-bunga first.

Rael
07-17-2011, 02:26 AM
Ridiculous distraction. Incandescent light-bulbs are crazy-inefficient and current-gen CFL lights have no significant environmental impact other than putting out a shit-ton of energy in light instead of outputting it as unwanted, wasteful heat.
That's true, and I use them versus incandescent, but it's still none of the governments business to tell me what bulb to use. Besides, they still have useful applications. CFL's won't work with dimmer switches, and they should not be used with motion detector fixtures as they will die quickly.

asurfaholic
07-17-2011, 05:09 AM
I'm an electrician, and thanks to big brother, my company has been doing light retrofitting jobs for large companies and schools in the areas. The current job, at a local High School, we are replacing T12 ballasts with T8. This school was built 30 or 40 years ago, and maybe 1 out of 40 ballasts in the school have been replaced. The rest are originals - that means that the vast majority of the ballasts are over 30 years old, and still working great. About half of the bulbs are original.

Tax dollars are paying for the complete replacement of all these lights with a newer T8 light, it uses .30 less amps per ballast, costs more, and lasts way less as long. I can say with almost complete certainty that these new ballasts will last maybe 10 years TOP. Alot of them will start to die after 2 years, 5 year mark and they die more. This is the result of the lightbulb war - it is paying for some manufacturing company to produce cheaper quality products that don't last as long, and therefore need to be replaced more often. The energy savings are negligible, as it will take decades to recoup the cost of installing these things, and then by that time, they will have replaced a fair amount of them.

So, while I am personally temporarily benefiting from this, I can see clearly that it is a total waste of tax dollars. Total and complete WASTE. This is benefiting some huge corporation who has its nose way up congresses butt.

Luciconsort
07-17-2011, 05:38 AM

APA = American Poolplayers Assoc. IPA = India Pale Ale. nothing better after APA than an IPA lol

angelatc
07-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Kludge, I've got about 20 years on you. I was one of the first people that I knew that switched to CFL. I found that as I got older, and my eyes started getting predictably worse, the light that the CFLs put out isn't adequate any more.

I don't know squat about light - I don't know if it's the spectrum, the wavelength, the color, or some other factor, but the light isn't good enough for me now.

(/grandma mode)

CUnknown
07-17-2011, 09:12 AM
I prefer CFLs myself, but I don't want the govt getting involved telling people what light bulbs they're allowed to buy. I don't give a crap what kind of lightbulbs people have in their house, none of my business, and it's none of the government's either.

Anti Federalist
07-17-2011, 10:07 PM
I prefer CFLs myself, but I don't want the govt getting involved telling people what light bulbs they're allowed to buy. I don't give a crap what kind of lightbulbs people have in their house, none of my business, and it's none of the government's either.

And it's really no more complicated than that.

Revolution9
07-18-2011, 03:07 PM
If you have ever worried about the safety of eating irradiated food, or about the long term effects of cell phone signals, how about the safety of you and your family being exposed to a set of electromagnetic frequencies from your lighting at home?

RADIO WCFL CALLING

Many CFLs emit electromagnetic radio wave pollution as a byproduct of the energy saving mechanism used to reduce voltage. You can investigate this by moving an AM radio close to a lit CFL bulb: the noise increases (based on research of Dr. Magda Havas as quoted on http://www.emfsolutions.ca/). Try the same with a traditional incandescent lightbult and the noise does not increase (unless the wire is polluted by another source of EM, such as a computer or another CFL bulb). Basking in the light of CFLs you are exposed to a whole set of frequencies that may be harmful to you. The closer you are, the more exposure is received. And a CFL lit in another room of the house may affect the rest of the house by carrying the EM signal along electrical wiring in the walls.

A Graham/Stetzer meter, designed by Martin Graham and sold by Stetzer Electric of Wisconsin (http://www.stetzerelectric.com/) can measure electromagnetic (EM) pollution in electrical wiring. Based on readings obtained with the meter, which uses GS units of measurement, some of the biggest sources of EM pollution in a home are CFLs. According to David Stetzer from Stetzer Electric, readings above 50 GS are considered undesirable.

I recently measured the effects of CFL bulbs on electromagnetic pollution in my home wiring with the Graham/Stetzer meter. Nine out of 11 CFL bulbs tested generated additional GS units on the wire, some in high volumes. (The amounts shown below represent increase over base reading on the wire).

Lumacoil 15W ~700+ GS units (coil shape bulb)
Commercial Electric 4W ~200+ GS, ~220+ GS (2 tested, small candelabra bulb)
n:vision 14W ~200+ GS (small coil shape bulb)
n:vision 9W ~140+ GS (coil shape)
Commercial Electric 9W ~70+ GS (traditional bulb shape)
n:vision 9W ~70+ GS (bulb shape)
Lights of America 13W ~70+ GS
Lights of America 20W ~35+ GS
Sylvania 13W ~ 20+ GS (coil shape)
Compax (GE) 15W ~0+ GS, ~0+ GS (2 tested, canister-like light, not a typical coil or bulb)
IKEA 11W ~0+ GS (bulb shape)

According to David Stetzer, a $0.50 part used in manufacturing could have prevented the pollution from getting on the wire.

from link:http://cflsafety.blogspot.com/

HTH
Rev9

Lucille
07-18-2011, 03:21 PM
I have dimmers all over my house. I am going to have to start hoarding incandescents.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-18-2011, 03:27 PM
I drive a 20 year old car. Should my car be banned because it uses a little more gas than newer cars? Hint: My cousin pays more in car repairs than I pay in extra gas.

parocks
07-18-2011, 05:45 PM
The spectrum of CFLs is terrible. The spectrum of LEDs is better than CFLs, and the incand spectrum is best, but weak in the blues. CFL just has very big spikes at R, G, and B. LEDs typically have a spike at 460-470nm blue and have a pretty wide spectrum yellow phosphor. Compared to daylight, incands are quite similar. Whereas daylight peaks at around 500nm, incand peaks in the red. But daylight and incand are both fairly continuous.