PDA

View Full Version : NY/Fed gov't going after Jeter 3,000 ball catching fan for TAXES on free stuff he received

Delegate2
07-16-2011, 02:43 PM
One good turn deserves another, and another, and another.

Christian Lopez, a 23-year-old cellphone salesman from Highland Mills, N.Y., decided to return Derek Jeter's 3,000th hit ball Saturday instead of trying to cash in. He received memorabilia and tickets from the New York Yankees but then found out he may have to pay taxes on that windfall. If he does, at least two companies said Wednesday that they are ready to strike out his debt.

But that's not all! For his generosity, Lopez will also get his own baseball card and has received a 2009 World Series ring.

According to accountants contacted by the New York Daily News and The New York Times, Lopez's tax bill on the Yankees merchandise could end up being anywhere from $5,000 to $14,000.

More : http://www.hermancainforums.com/index.php/topic,340.0.html

Seth
07-16-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm waiting for the day they tax kids on Christmas for the gifts their parents gave them.

Johncjackson
07-16-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm waiting for the day they tax kids on Christmas for the gifts their parents gave them.

I believe the parents would be exempt on the first $13-26,000 per child per Christmas, and the parents would be taxed if they exceeded yearly/lifetime limits :)

Zippyjuan
07-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Taxes on profits he hasn't realized? If he sold the items and realized their claimed value perhaps he would be liable for taxest then but he has not made any money on the deal whatsoever as of now.

headhawg7
07-16-2011, 09:28 PM

Please don't give them any ideas.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Taxes on profits he hasn't realized? If he sold the items and realized their claimed value perhaps he would be liable for taxest then but he has not made any money on the deal whatsoever as of now.

Pre Crime.

guitarlifter
07-17-2011, 01:44 AM
So let me get this straight. He is getting taxed on receiving GIFTS?

ghengis86
07-17-2011, 07:11 AM
So let me get this straight. He is getting taxed on receiving GIFTS?

Welcome to Amerika, comrade!