PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to follow up: Voice or Text?

rp08orbust
07-16-2011, 02:39 PM
I've been discussing with gerryb and trey4sports the possibility of using text messages to do some initial screening of the list of those who vote for Ron Paul in my robopolls (which only call cell phones) before beginning the phonebanking stage.

As he's posted elsewhere, gerryb has found that among those who answer follow-up calls (about half), a large chunk (perhaps 25%) either deny having voted for Ron Paul in the survey (which could very well be true, e.g., if they bumped the number 7 before hanging up, or if it's a work phone and someone else answered the robopoll, etc) or ask to not be called again and want to hear nothing further.

My idea is this: Immediately upon completing the robopoll (so we're as likely as possible to get the same person who voted), send something like the following 160-character message to everyone who voted for Ron Paul:

Thanks 4 voting Ron Paul in my survey. May I send u info on how u can help put him on the road to victory by voting 4him in the critical Ames straw poll Aug13?

After that, there are four possibilities:

1. The recipient replies with a text message or voicemail asking not to be called or messaged again. Simple: We do not contact them again.

2. The recipient replies that they would like more information. Simple: Immediately forward the text message to Steve Bierfeldt so he or his staff can make the sale.

3. No reply within 24 hours (which may be the majority). Hand the phone number over to phonebankers.

4. Some other ambiguous response by text message (e.g., "Ron Paul is cool, I'm just not sure about his foreign policy"). I suspect that this could be a large group as well. Engage them in conversation via text message. If their response turns into (1) or (2), then handle accordingly.

Keeping in mind that some do not have wireless phone plans that include text message quotas (meaning they have to pay for each text message they receive, just as some have to pay for each phone call they receive) and therefore could be angered by receiving the text message, which do you think is the best way to initially follow up with people, with a phone call or text message?

Obviously if someone responded to a robopoll, they are at least somewhat receptive to receiving phone calls even if they don't have a plan. And people can reject a phone call but not reject a text message.

I'm undecided right now, but it looks like I can't see the results without voting, so I'll vote "text".

trey4sports
07-16-2011, 02:54 PM
I've been discussing with gerryb and trey4sports the possibility of using text messages to do some initial screening of the list of those who vote for Ron Paul in my robopolls (which only call cell phones) before beginning the phonebanking stage.

As he's posted elsewhere, gerryb has found that among those who answer follow-up calls (about half), a large chunk (perhaps 25%) either deny having voted for Ron Paul in the survey (which could very well be true, e.g., if they bumped the number 7 before hanging up, or if it's a work phone and someone else answered the robopoll, etc) or ask to not be called again and want to hear nothing further.

My idea is this: Immediately upon completing the robopoll (so we're as likely as possible to get the same person who voted), send something like the following 160-character message to everyone who voted for Ron Paul:

1. The recipient replies with a text message or voicemail asking not to be called or messaged again. Simple: We do not contact them again.

2. The recipient replies that they would like more information. Simple: Immediately forward the text message to Steve Bierfeldt so he or his staff can make the sale.

3. No reply within 24 hours (which may be the majority). Hand the phone number over to phonebankers.

4. Some other ambiguous response by text message (e.g., "Ron Paul is cool, I'm just not sure about his foreign policy"). I suspect that this could be a large group as well. Engage them in conversation via text message. If their response turns into (1) or (2), then handle accordingly.

Keeping in mind that some do not have wireless phone plans that include text message quotas (meaning they have to pay for each text message they receive, just as some have to pay for each phone call they receive) and therefore could be angered by receiving the text message, which do you think is the best way to initially follow up with people, with a phone call or text message?

Obviously if someone responded to a robopoll, they are at least somewhat receptive to receiving phone calls even if they don't have a plan. And people can reject a phone call but not reject a text message.

I'm undecided right now, but it looks like I can't see the results without voting, so I'll vote "text".

I think initially a text may be the best way to follow up as it is less invasive. Not only that but i like the fact that it's more efficient than making a call simply because it uses less resources and people who are too shy to phonebank can fill in this gap. There are going to be a LOT of people phonebanking with the campaign so this project wont compete with the campaign for resources.

thehighwaymanq
07-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Texting is absolutely going to work better with younger voters.

Sounds right. Although if they voted for Ron, I hope they don't just throw a potential vote away.

YES! YES YES

Yup. Let them come in for a personal follow-up

This is the tough one. Most people are NOT going to want to have an intellectual political debate via text message. I would take these numbers and separate them somehow, let the phone-bankers know this will be a conversation on the candidate before the Straw Poll deal

Bergie Bergeron
07-16-2011, 04:16 PM
I agree with number 4, phone bankers should handle that.

Paul4Prez
07-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Include the RonPaul2012.com website in the text message.