View Full Version : Bradley Manning is a superhero

cdc482
07-16-2011, 01:41 PM
He had a rough life.
He put others before himself.
His life only got more rough.
Sounds like a superhero to me.

Please read:
(12:15:11 PM) bradass87: hypothetical question: if you had free reign over classified networks for long periods of time… say, 8-9 months… and you saw incredible things, awful things… things that belonged in the public domain, and not on some server stored in a dark room in Washington DC… what would you do?
(12:21:24 PM) bradass87: say… a database of half a million events during the iraq war… from 2004 to 2009… with reports, date time groups, lat-lon locations, casualty figures… ? or 260,000 state department cables from embassies and consulates all over the world, explaining how the first world exploits the third, in detail, from an internal perspective?
12:54:47 PM) info@adrianlamo.com: What sort of content?
(12:56:36 PM) info@adrianlamo.com: brb cigarette
(12:56:43 PM) info@adrianlamo.com: keep typing
(12:59:41 PM) bradass87: uhm… crazy, almost criminal political backdealings… the non-PR-versions of world events and crises… uhm… all kinds of stuff like everything from the buildup to the Iraq War during Powell, to what the actual content of “aid packages” is: for instance, PR that the US is sending aid to pakistan includes funding for water/food/clothing… that much is true, it includes that, but the other 85% of it is for F-16 fighters and munitions to aid in the Afghanistan effort, so the US can call in Pakistanis to do aerial bombing instead of americans potentially killing civilians and creating a PR crisis
(1:00:57 PM) bradass87: theres so much… it affects everybody on earth… everywhere there’s a US post… there’s a diplomatic scandal that will be revealed… Iceland, the Vatican, Spain, Brazil, Madascar, if its a country, and its recognized by the US as a country, its got dirt on it
(1:01:27 PM) bradass87: i need one myself
(1:10:38 PM) bradass87: its open diplomacy… world-wide anarchy in CSV format… its Climategate with a global scope, and breathtaking depth… its beautiful, and horrifying…
(1:10:38 PM) info@adrianlamo.com <AUTO-REPLY>: I have more messages than resources allocatable to action them. Please be very patient.
(1:11:54 PM) bradass87: and… its important that it gets out… i feel, for some bizarre reason
(1:12:02 PM) bradass87: it might actually change something
(1:13:10 PM) bradass87: i just… dont wish to be a part of it… at least not now… im not ready… i wouldn’t mind going to prison for the rest of my life, or being executed so much, if it wasn’t for the possibility of having pictures of me… plastered all over the world press… as boy

febo
07-16-2011, 01:58 PM
I would love it if RP said he'd free Manning

thehighwaymanq
07-16-2011, 02:08 PM

Me too. But would that be good while he is campaigning? OMG the media attacks from that

mit26chell
07-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Media attacks no longer matter. We've won that battle.

And Ron doesn't have to say it anyway... we know he would free manning day 1, because he would have no authority to be indefinitely detaining him. To attacks, Ron would simply respond, 'I stand firm on the rule of law - it is non-negotiable.'

Pro-Life Libertarian
07-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Was he the leaks guy? In that case, no.

I don't want my security compromised. How dare he release information without my consent. I am serious. What if files with information about me got out? What if he released nation security information?

The way I see it, he is a traitor to America. Let Ron Paul declassify files, not some rogue.

febo
07-16-2011, 03:22 PM

I don't want my security compromised. How dare he release information without my consent. I am serious. What if files with information about me got out? What if he released nation security information?

The way I see it, he is a traitor to America. Let Ron Paul declassify files, not some rogue.

What's so vital about your personal info that we have to torture to keep it secret?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soF2uIe8GPk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDp1izlMQT0

Pro-Life Libertarian
07-16-2011, 03:34 PM
What's so vital about your personal info that we have to torture to keep it secret?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDp1izlMQT0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soF2uIe8GPk

I simply don't trust a random dude named Bradley Manning to release thousands of documents of classified information. I will never call him a superhero, only a traitor. Regardless of what information came out, he did it the wrong way.

Billay
07-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Bradley Manning is a criminal.

asurfaholic
07-16-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't know the whole story about Bradley Manning, but I do know that I feel pretty strongly that if the American people deserve to know what is going on around the world. What are we (the taxpayers) financing? If our nation is involved in scandalous behavior, then a whistleblower is a superhero. It takes big balls to stand up to authority, and it is the people's job to keep the government in check.

Operation Gunrunner? Exposed by a whistle-blower.

Why would we be dropping depleted uranium bombs over Libya when we know darn well it will contaminate their groundwater? Don't you want to know? I don't think this includes anyone's personal private information, and IF the government DID have your personal private information, wouldn't you want to know? Who's interest are we serving by continuing all these wars? Just what level of involvement does the CIA have around the world? This sort of thing is important. Granted, some people don't want to know all the bad things going on, they prefer to just pretend everything is fine and dandy, but to a casual observer, you realize the USA is not operating in the best interest of its people. We are worldwide murderers, and the truth needs to be exposed. Obviously Obama and his minions won't release data, so its up to people who feel the conviction to stand up and tell the truth.

ChrisDixon
07-16-2011, 07:24 PM

While I'm all for freeing Manning, Paul coming out on the topic would be very bad. The media would have a field day with him.

outspoken
07-16-2011, 07:56 PM
I've always admired RP for not playing politics. It would be political suicide to support Manning's rogue behavior. I think it was already damaging to denounce the method in which Bin Laden was taken out as it caused a lot of neo cons who were on the fence about RP. I totally support RP but it is a precarious process enlightening others to the philosophy of liberty.

Johncjackson
07-16-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm surprised at all the pro-war, pro-propping up the false narrative of the American military adventurism posters here. I guess I shouldn't be when you consider how much disagreement there is here, but I figured at least 1-2 major things we could all agree on.

Brett85
07-16-2011, 08:41 PM

This. It's ridiculous to give praise to those who are traitors to America.

Brett85
07-16-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm surprised at all the pro-war, pro-propping up the false narrative of the American military adventurism posters here. I guess I shouldn't be when you consider how much disagreement there is here, but I figured at least 1-2 major things we could all agree on.

What does this issue have to do with wars or military adventurism? I'm in favor of bringing ALL of our troops home from around the world, but that doesn't meant that I want some rogue government official to break the law and release classified information.

Watch
07-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Yes he did break a law. But there are also laws that protect him. I am going to go ahead and quote Martin Luther King Jr on this one:

I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and willingly accepts the penalty by staying in jail in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the very highest respect for the law.
-- "Letter from Birmingham Jail," April 16, 1963

So, the people who say he is a traitor, is a traitor to them, and that is ok, your conscience tells you that. And you should believe your conscience, I would never say otherwise. But in saying that Manning is a traitor is saying that you are ok with the actions of e US government. Besides, Manning didn't leak a thing to the public, only to Wiki-leaks does. I have another MLK Jr quote that is relevant here:

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
-- Strength in Love (1963)

Nate
07-17-2011, 12:42 AM

The only servicemen who are traitors to America are the ones who DON'T expose the criminal actions committed by this government & then made classified in order to protect their criminality from public scrutiny. Manning is one of the few servicemen who has actually honored his oath to defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL ENEMIES both foreign AND DOMESTIC. I wish more people would take their oaths as seriously as Bradley Manning, if they did this government wouldn't be the tyrannical monstrosity that it is currently. He risked & eventually lost his freedom to expose the crimes of the death cult running this government who carry out those crimes in YOUR NAME & you actually call him a traitor for it. You sir are neither Pro-Life nor a Libertarian, methinks you need to change your name.

Nate
07-17-2011, 12:47 AM

Read my response to "Pro-Life Libertarian" & apply it to yourself minus the last sentence. NONE of the information released by Manning should have even been classified in the first place. It was not made classified to protect you in any way except from the truth of the crimes committed by this government in your name.

Nate
07-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Manning EXPOSES the actual traitors in this government, sacrifices his freedom to do it & some people (on this site of all places) actually have the gall to call HIM the traitor?!?!

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Welcome to Oceania ladies & gentlemen.

idirtify
07-17-2011, 01:03 AM

I think you may be confused over rights. Even if privacy is an unalienable right (it’s debatable, since it’s basically covered by private contracts and property rights), it’s certain that it only applies to private citizens – not governments. “Government” is the definition of “non-private” / “pubic”, and it does not have rights.

Now regarding your point about “national security”, we all know the term has been hopelessly abused (by that same government) beyond any salvageable meaning. Besides, if manning had released stuff that placed a legitimate risk on our national security, you would have pointed it out. Right?

Finally, if you had the opportunity to expose crimes against humanity, but had to commit a lesser crime to do it, would you? No? OK, but just be careful whom you call the “traitor”.

Watch
07-17-2011, 01:04 AM
Are you a traitor to your family if your father(the only bread winner in the house) was raping your sisters and by blowing the whistle on him, would ruin your family?

No, it's not the same situation, but it is the same sentiment.

Nate
07-17-2011, 01:08 AM
Are you a traitor to your family if your father(the only bread winner in the house) was raping your sisters and by blowing the whistle on him, would ruin your family?

No, it's not the same situation, but it is the same sentiment.

I guess according to some people if the father declared the information that would his expose him as a serial rapist "classified" then yes.

Watch
07-17-2011, 01:10 AM
I guess according to some people if the father declared the information pertaining to his rape as "classified" then yes.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Nate again.

You already know what it is brother.

ProIndividual
07-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Secrecy for security= okay

Secrecy to protect the State= not okay

Some of us confuse nationalism for patriotism.

There is already a legal penalty for leaking information NOT in the public interest (btw, whether someone is placed in danger or not is irrelevant; the initial crime that is being exposed bears the burden of responsibility for all those lives, and if there is no crime being exposed, the leak is illegal).

Clearly, these leaks were in the public interest, as they exposed CRIMES being committed by our government for profit and many other reasons, and being covered-up not for security of the people, but for reputation of the State.

Anyone who calls that a crime, or a possible breach of security, is a nationalist and not a patriot. A patriot never sticks up for his government when it doesn't deserve it.

If random soldiers leak info that is NOT in the public interest (info that aren't matters of national security directly, but are crimes or other lies told by the government to it's people in it's own self interests), then those soldiers would face charges ranging up to and including treason. There is no stiffer a deterant than that. But if these leaks are in the public interest, then no crime has been committed...

...provided it's not a crime to tell the truth, deemed on high by the almighty State. The King is dead, long live the State?

Seems to me it is very clear...Manning is not a criminal, but is instead a patriot.

Those who see him as a traitor or criminal only can do so through the prism of statism and nationalism...two very sadistic and sociopathic philosophical genres.

Some of us should check our moral theory for holes, the flagship of peace and prosperity is taking on water and starting to sink.

Ricky201
07-17-2011, 02:39 AM
What does this issue have to do with wars or military adventurism? I'm in favor of bringing ALL of our troops home from around the world, but that doesn't meant that I want some rogue government official to break the law and release classified information.

He released records regarding government lies based on an illegal war. Now just who are the traitors?

I'm sorry, but we pay there salaries. At least someone is brave enough to give me a receipt with what they're actually doing with my damn money.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies"

Sam I am
07-17-2011, 04:16 AM
It would serve to strengthen Ron's USP. People who dislike the leaks aren't very likely to vote for him in the first place.

ConvertedRepublican
07-17-2011, 04:36 AM
History always has a way of either judging or vindicating a person like this.

ChrisDixon
07-17-2011, 09:01 AM
"One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

cdc482
07-17-2011, 10:25 AM
The conversation reveals Manning's character and intentions. He doesn't sound like a traitor to anyone but corrupt politicians. He knew he would face jail or death for leaking the information, but he thought it was important enough that the world needed to know. A superhero.

pcosmar
07-17-2011, 10:41 AM
I simply don't trust a random dude named Bradley Manning to release thousands of documents of classified information. I will never call him a superhero, only a traitor. Regardless of what information came out, he did it the wrong way.

Do you trust the people that classify criminal actions to protect themselves?

In other words,, What exactly classifies as "Classified"?

And should criminal actions by the government be classified or prosecuted?

Teaser Rate
07-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Do you trust the people that classify criminal actions to protect themselves?

In other words,, What exactly classifies as "Classified"?

And should criminal actions by the government be classified or prosecuted?

The government just needs to re-write laws in a way which makes their previously illegal actions acceptable. Duh.

pcosmar
07-17-2011, 10:49 AM
the government just needs to re-write laws in a way which makes their previously illegal actions acceptable. Duh.
NOT Acceptable.

that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

pcosmar
07-17-2011, 10:52 AM

I disagree.
Whistle Blowing and exposing corruption at the risk of life and Liberty is the most Patriotic thing a person in his position could do.

Those that did not are the traitors.

LibertyEagle
07-17-2011, 11:01 AM

I would agree with you absolutely, if he had released information that endangered servicemen. But, I'm not seeing that. Are you?

I haven't read everything that he released, but from what I'm gathering, what he primarily did is expose the lies the people in our government have been telling the American people. Since when is that not alright to do? In fact, our Founders strongly relied on a free press to help keep the government in line.

heavenlyboy34
07-17-2011, 11:24 AM
The only servicemen who are traitors to America are the ones who DON'T expose the criminal actions committed by this government & then made classified in order to protect their criminality from public scrutiny. Manning is one of the few servicemen who has actually honored his oath to defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL ENEMIES both foreign AND DOMESTIC. I wish more people would take their oaths as seriously as Bradley Manning, if they did this government wouldn't be the tyrannical monstrosity that it is currently. He risked & eventually lost his freedom to expose the crimes of the death cult running this government who carry out those crimes in YOUR NAME & you actually call him a traitor for it. You sir are neither Pro-Life nor a Libertarian, methinks you need to change your name.
+a zillion.

AGRP
07-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Imaginos
07-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Manning is a hero.
The government has no right to do such atrocities around the world with our hard earned money.
It boggles my mind that still some people defend those criminals/traitors in Washington.
I am paying tax close to 40% and I am angry that the fruit of my hard work is turning into the fuel for the criminals running their scam domestic and foreign.