PDA

View Full Version : Farmers market restricts passing out literature (in a public parking lot)

libertybrewcity
07-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Should I pass fliers out? Anyone familiar with this?

I was thinking that the government might shut them down if I'm passing out some RP literature...not really sure. Here's what is says on the website.

Please note -- The Downtown Fairfax Coalition (sponsor of the Farmers' Markets) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and is prohibited by Federal law from engaging in political activity which includes participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office. In addition, the Coalition is generally not allowed to attempt to influence legislation.

The Coalition Board of Directors has established the following policies:

Political and religious groups cannot be vendors in the markets. The markets are solely for the sale of fruits and vegetables, foods, arts and crafts, and other consumable products. Yard sale/flea market vendors are not permitted in the Saturday or Sunday Markets. The Coalition is unable to provide spaces free of charge. Final approval of vendors rests with the Downtown Fairfax Coalition. Because product diversity is essential to a successful market, the Downtown Fairfax Coalition reserves the right to accept or reject any vendor.

Political merchandise (buttons, t-shirts, bumper stickers, posters, etc.) from past, present, or future campaigns and literature (brochures, flyers, leaflets, etc.) that promote a specific political or legislative agenda cannot be sold or distributed at the markets.

http://www.fairfaxsaturdaymarket.com/interested.php

The farmers market is in the parking lot of a government building.

brushfire
07-16-2011, 12:19 PM
These days, you just never know. If you live in a state that has heard of the 1st amendment, and has not made video taping illegal, you may wish to bring some sort of recording device, should you decide to go. In IL they are selective on how they apply the law - unfortunately I happen to reside on the side they usually apply it to (citizen vs government).

mczerone
07-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Last week I was at the farmer's market closest to my house, and I saw yard-signs posted along the road leading into it to "Recall Rick Snyder". Once I walked through the Farmer's Market I finally saw, sitting off to the side in the public easement along the road, two people in folding chairs with a petition to recall the Governor.

I wanted to engage these people to ask why they felt like recalling the newly elected Republican governor in the state of Michigan would make anything better, to ask why they thought that the democratic process that just elected him 6 mos. ago would result in anything different today, or to ask why they still felt like a person with a D next to their name would perform any better. But it was 95 degrees out and I had a bag full of veggies.

So, in any event, I'd suggest you just "piggy back" on the Farmer's Market - stay just outside of their "permitted area" on public property and maybe put up some signs that people coming to the farmer's market will see: "Find out how you can support Peace!", "Learn about the politician who supports Natural Foods", "Small Farmers and conscientious Eaters support this man, find out more!"

Then I'd venture around the market and look for people passing out literature about state programs (i.e. food-stamps/WIC). If you're looking for trouble you could stand next to them with some counter-info. If you're given any trouble just say that you're giving the opposite viewpoint of the forbidden literature already being distributed.

John of Des Moines
07-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Bring the 2nd Amendment with you. End of problem.

mczerone
07-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Bring the 2nd Amendment with you. End of problem.

Video is a better option, especially if the Farmer's Market is filled with reactionary hippies that equate the presence of a sidearm with an immediate threat on their life.

Plus, are you really going to threaten the organizers of the market or the cops with a weapon in a crowded place?