PDA

View Full Version : A new twist on the money bomb...a special campaign gift for your donation? :)

CableNewsJunkie
07-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Just throwing this out there...

Say someone was generous enough to donate to the campaign a few bags of 'junk silver' 90% U.S. silver dimes/quarters/half-dollars totaling $2500 in face value...currently the FEC contribution limit per election.

That comes out to 25,000 dimes, 10,000 quarters, or 5,000 half-dollars.

How much would you donate to the campaign, if the campaign in return for your donation, mailed you a gift - a single pre-1965 90% U.S. silver dime/quarter/half dollar attached to a commemorative campaign business card thanking you for your donation.

Even using an average supporter donation of around $100 or slightly less...that could amount to some serious cash for the campaign.

For example:

25,000 dimes * $100/per coin = $2,500,000

OR

10,000 quarters * $250/per coin = $2,500,000

OR

5,000 half-dollars * $500/per coin = $2,500,000

That's quite a return on investment.

It would also bring renewed attention to the money-bombs and force the issue of sound money to center-stage.

And it could provide a more steady stream of cash in-between the big money-bombs.

So how much would you be willing to donate to the campaign to get your hands on one of those coins for its historical and collectible (political memorabilia) value?

kah13176
07-16-2011, 02:13 AM
Not legal as far as I know.

CableNewsJunkie
07-16-2011, 02:16 AM
We're going to make it legal.

Metty
07-20-2011, 07:59 AM
A silver dime does not sell for 100$
you might be able to get 70,000$ for 25,000 silver dimes.

as for legal issues, it is legal US tender
i don't see why not :V

FriedChicken
07-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Here's the thing - I'm not a lawyer and haven't read all the FEC rules so I don't know exactly what I'm talking about here ...

Since the silver is legal tender I don't see why it couldn't be donated to the campaign for its face value. However, I don't believe the campaign is allowed to just send out money to donors, even if its just a dime.
I also don't believe campaigns are allowed to sell commodities for fund raising - so I don't believe they're allowed to sell the coin for any more than its face value. I do not know these things for a fact.

But the revolution pac may be able to do something like this, I'm not sure. However, there are no caps on what you can donate to a pac, so using silver to get around the max donation cap would be pointless.

Great idea though. I would love it if the campaign could put them in plastic sleeves with a certificate signed by Ron Paul making it more of a numismatic collector coin. I would love to have something like that and would donate to get it.

KEEF
08-01-2011, 10:09 AM
How about we just mail the campaign gold and let them do what they want with it. Burnake said that it isn't money and so we could easily donate more than the $2500 limit without breaking any rules right?:D

Article V
08-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Couldn't you donate $2500 in gold and/or silver? And then as the value of the gold and silver increase due to the FED printing press, Ron Paul could cash it in for an amount larger than $2500. Sounds like a great, legal way for us all to donate over the $2500 limit.

NJames
08-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Who here has maxed out the legal limit on their contributions? Unless there is a lot of money that's being withheld by the limits from supporting Paul this discussion is unimportant. Is there any such large amount of money?

CableNewsJunkie
09-10-2011, 05:13 PM
We now have a perfect opportunity to give this idea some traction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqyElAmJBEU&feature=player_embedded

Possible marketing language:

"Make sure you can still afford a gallon of gas in the future! Help Ron Paul's presidential campaign by donating $100 and receive a pre-1965 silver dime with a certificate commemorating sound money."

evilfunnystuff
09-10-2011, 05:39 PM
I really like the idea, but it might be a better fit for the REV PAC.

DrewAZ
09-13-2011, 05:57 PM
50$ for a Dime WOW! I have gotten as much as 12.50 for a few Silver Dime Card and am most the time happy to sell them for 5$

http://libertytrade.net/drupal7d1-dev/?q=listing/237

I have set up a few liberty organizations with branded pre 65 silver dime cards.

See more at http://whatisthiscoinworth.info