PDA

View Full Version : False Meme Being Pushed That the Status Quo Welfare State Can Be Maintained

AuH20
07-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Sickening commentary by this woman. She's gloating about the Hollywood tear-jerkery to come, which the elites have been peddling for decades. Furthermore, she is proud that the public is hooked on to what amounts to be a mathematical falsehood and will take any deal no matter the disastrous endgame.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/07/debt-ceiling-whats-the-end-game-for-republicans/241959/

In fact, we wouldn't even have to wait that long. The tea-partiers who are proud to stick to their guns are not actually tough enough to weather the television coverage of homeless families, the doctors regretfully turning away their Medicare patients, the angry constituents beating down their office doors. They'll fold--but not until they've lost virtually all their capital, and have no way to get back in the game.

I know I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there is no game-theoretic substitute for political legitimacy. There is no neat strategic maneuver which will allow you to bypass the American public and cut their government benefits by 40% overnight if they don't want you to. And if you think that the American public actually wants you to do it . . . well, then it's not Washington, DC that's out of touch with the rest of America.

Teaser Rate
07-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Honestly, I think she's right on most of her points. If Obama halts military pay or entitlement payouts, the Republicans will have to cave and be left in a much weaker negotiating position afterwards. Trying to reform the budget by steering the government into a default situation is a very bad political strategy.

However, this bit of circular reasoning amused me quite a bit:

Also, when you cut spending, GDP is going to fall, which means that tax revenue will also fall, which means that we probably have to cut even deeper into those politically untouchable programs.

Genius.