PDA

View Full Version : United States recognizes Libya rebels.

123tim
07-15-2011, 05:24 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/libya-rebels-regroup-battle-exposes-weakness-032754246.html

Could I ask just why these rebels are having such a hard time ousting Muammar Gaddafi with all of the U.N. support that they've been getting? Seems like I'm missing a large part of the story.

Would someone be able to fill me in on who the "rebels" really are?

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Rebel leaders won recognition as the legitimate government of Libya from the United States and other world powers on Friday in a major boost to the rebels' faltering campaign to oust Muammar Gaddafi.

Western nations said they also planned to increase the military pressure on Gaddafi's forces to press him to give up power after 41 years at the head of the North African state.

Recognition of the rebels, announced by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at a meeting in Turkey of the international contact group on Libya, is an important diplomatic step which could unlock billions of dollars in frozen Libyan funds.

The decision comes as reports are circulating Gaddafi has sent out emissaries seeking a negotiated end to the conflict, although he remains defiant in his public utterance.

In a speech broadcast as thousands of loyalists rallied in a street demonstration, Gaddafi rejected international recognition of the rebels.

"Trample on those recognitions, trample on them under your feet," he told his supporters. "They are worthless."

He said he enjoyed the support of millions of Libyans who yearned for death, martyrdom and suicide.

Edit:
Answered my own question...

The NCLO web site (Arabic) carries a document (Arabic; Google Cache; legible in automatic translation) dated February 15th (the day the protests began), which clearly spells out NCLO's objections to Qaddafi's rule. The main points of "Qaddafi: Islam's no. 1 enemy" are as follows:

Qaddafi has closed an Islamic university and a seminary, has forbidden some Islamist publications, and has thrown thousands of Islamist activists into jail.

Qaddafi has urged to put the Qur'an on the shelf, as no longer appropriate for this age.

Qaddafi has made fun of the Islamic veil, calling it a "rag" and a "tent".

Qaddafi has dared to say that Christians and Jews should be allowed to visit Mecca.

Qaddafi has rejected the Hadith and Sunnah, and said he follows the Qur'an alone.

http://www.nolanchart.com/article8465_Who_are_Libya%27s_rebels.html

Lucille
07-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Why are we building Islamic states with Constitutions based on Sharia Law? Does anyone know? All I hear from the neocons is how dangerous the Islamicists and Sharia Law are, yet that is precisely what Bushbama's wars are building. I don't get the govt's angle here.

Of Motes, Beams, and Holy Wars (http://www.lewrockwell.com/grigg/grigg-w164.html)

"The direct subordination of the law of the land to Shari'ah is reflected in the national constitutions of many Islamic countries, including the Constitutions the United States Government had oversight in drafting — both Afghanistan and Iraq," writes Maj. Coughlin

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/260155/death-apostates-not-perversion-islam-islam-andrew-c-mccarthy?page=1

The affront here is our own betrayal of our own principles. The Islamic democracy project is not democratizing the Muslim world. It is degrading individual liberty by masquerading sharia, in its most draconian form, as democracy. The only worthy reason for dispatching our young men and women in uniform to Islamic countries is to destroy America’s enemies. Our armed forces are not agents of Islamic social justice, and stabilizing a sharia state so its children can learn to hate the West as much as their parents do is not a mission the American people would ever have endorsed. It is past time to end this failed experiment.

A Son of Liberty
07-15-2011, 05:48 PM
I KNOW I've seen you somewhere before... Wait! Don't tell me... I got it! Tora Bora, right!? I KNEW IT!

showpan
07-15-2011, 06:30 PM
The whole things smells of CIA. The rebel leader lived in VA for ten years and nobody knew what he was doing and the first thing they did was capture an oil port and start selling the oil to US.

Pericles
07-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Really needing that barf smiley right about now. This is starting to go the way of Iraq. Had a not nice guy leader contained to where he could do little if any harm, and then go in and upset the apple cart for some stupid reason.

Revolution9
07-15-2011, 09:18 PM
They oughta recognize them. They spent years training them.

"Civil servants, including teachers, in the rebel-held east have not been paid after rebel leaders looted the Central Bank of Libya in Benghazi of 900 million Libyan dinars and $500.5 million in U.S. cash. Although the central government in Tripoli would like to help Libyan citizens in the east, there is no way for payments to be transmitted to the idled civil servants, as well as pensioners and those families who received $500 per month under Libya's oil revenue sharing program. The Libyan rebel “finance minister” Ali Tarhouni is believed to be a longtime CIA asset and it was he who planned the theft of the cash from the safe vault of the Central Bank in Benghazi, carried out with the assistance of a CIA-supplied safecracker from the United Arab Emirates."

rest at link http://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2011/06/08/natos-alternate-universe-in-libya.html

Rev9

Napoleon's Shadow
07-15-2011, 09:33 PM
There is a reason they did this on a Friday!