PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT CAMPAIGN INFORMATION: phonebanking and other grassroots efforts!! PLEASE READ!!!

nuzlum
07-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Ok, I know there is a website dedicated to phonebanking. It is a great website; the idea, the ease of use is and layout is phenomenal, but there isn't any coordination with the campaign, and the campaign is a little frustrated at this. It is (unintentionally) undermining and diluting impact of the IOWA campaign's very same efforts. This is information directly from campaign staff in Iowa.

Though grassroots efforts are awesome, PLEASE coordinate with the campaign to see if what you are doing overlaps with what they are planning/doing. People in IOWA are getting multiple calls, and are frankly, getting annoyed. They are getting annoyed, even to the point of "not voting for Ron Paul" if they get anymore calls (and this is comment from "lukewarm Ron Paul supporters", so we do not want to ruin our chances with them).

We don't want to set back our hard work and efforts by failing to do something as simple as have a little coordination between the grassroots and the official campaign.

If you want to phone bank, please do so by contacting the campaign office in IOWA. They will give you a list of names to call, and THEIR script for doing so. Then you return the information back to them, so they can record gathered information which they will need for future use. I can't go into detail on how the script is written, but trust me, I've used both, and the campaign script is the one we should be using. Rather than simply just asking if people are a Ron Paul supporter, it has just 3 basic questions for the caller to answer, and is just better in the goal we are trying to acheive (getting people to the strawpoll, and gauging support of Ron Paul). From these questions you then determine if they are a "need to know" about the strawpoll person. From the questions asked, it also gives the campaign VERY valuable information to follow up with at a later time.

This post is not meant to knock grassroots efforts or the RP2012.org website, but to simply prompt better coordination of the grassroots and the campaign at the campaign's request. If we coordinate better with eachother, we can make great ideas that start small at the grassroots have BIGGER/BETTER impact that work for the campaign; so we can give them FOCUS, $, and get EVERYONE on the SAME PAGE, settling for nothing short of WINNING!

If you want to get involved, PLEASE sign-up with the official website to help out!!! We can still be grassroots and work hand-in-hand with the campaign. I am a co-chair in Iowa, and our group in my county is still charging grassroots efforts; but not before coordinating somewhat with the campaign so not to waste time, money, or effort on anything that might either hurt them overall, or be something they are already working on diligently that we just weren't aware.

Thanks for your time, everyone! :)

www.iowaforronpaul.com
www.ronpaul2012.com

trey4sports
07-15-2011, 12:46 AM
yup yup, i encourage folks to work on the campaign, i do, however, still keep in touch with the creator of the grassroots platform and i know a lot of folks really like it as well.

r3volution1776
07-15-2011, 01:58 AM
yup yup, i encourage folks to work on the campaign, i do, however, still keep in touch with the creator of the grassroots platform and i know a lot of folks really like it as well.

Hey, I understand that a lot of people like the grassroots platform, but what I don't get is why they would continue to call without trying to coordinate with the campaign so that people don't get pissed, it makes no sense to me. It's just something simple that can be easily done, and it would save everyone's time and money, and be more beneficial to the end goal, which is getting Ron elected. At a certain point its gonna seem like someone's pride in their grassroots phone calling system is taking priority over the goal we should all be focusing on, getting Ron Paul elected.

Napoleon's Shadow
07-15-2011, 08:40 AM
If you want to volunteer for the campaign, including phone-banking from home, you MUST sign up as a volunteer on the www.RonPaul2012.com website

sailingaway
07-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Hey, I understand that a lot of people like the grassroots platform, but what I don't get is why they would continue to call without trying to coordinate with the campaign so that people don't get pissed, it makes no sense to me. It's just something simple that can be easily done, and it would save everyone's time and money, and be more beneficial to the end goal, which is getting Ron elected. At a certain point its gonna seem like someone's pride in their grassroots phone calling system is taking priority over the goal we should all be focusing on, getting Ron Paul elected.

I don't even care at this point that they 'like the grassroots platform'. Strictly speaking for myself, I see this as torpedoing the campaign to use it at this point since the information from these databases is VITAL to the campaign for get out the vote before the caucuses and the ONLY way the campaign can get the information from the 'grassroots' database is if they purchase it at market value -- WHICH MARKET PRICE WILL REFLECT THE CAMPAIGN HAVING TO PAY FOR THE VALUE OF THE VOLUNTEER TIME. FEC rules DON'T count volunteer time directly for the campaign as part of a donation. Do those working for the 'grassroots databank' really want Ron's contributions to have to PAY for his own volunteer work? Or do they really NOT want the databases to belong to Ron so he can use them in get out the vote and however else he might be able to make money off the information compiled? Telemarketers would die and go to heaven for the free work to create lists that is happening here by Ron Paul supporters.

Those putting in these calls may want to consider if they are really supporting the CAMPAIGN doing this at this point. When the campaign didn't have something in place, that is one thing, but COMPETING with the campaign? How does a supporter rationalize that? I'm curious to know.

parocks
07-15-2011, 09:09 AM
The only thing I can think of is that the grassroots might be using walking around money or something like that to get the voters they've ID'd to the straw poll.
The official campaign may not want to do that or may not be able to do that. and rporbust is doing a great job, is coordinated with the campaign, and is doing something a little different with his robopolling than the official campaign is doing with their robopolling.

sailingaway
07-15-2011, 09:15 AM
The only thing I can think of is that the grassroots might be using walking around money or something like that to get the voters they've ID'd to the straw poll.
The official campaign may not want to do that or may not be able to do that. and rporbust is doing a great job, is coordinated with the campaign, and is doing something a little different with his robopolling than the official campaign is doing with their robopolling.

rpo89orbust is a totally different thing than what we are talking about. I am not speaking of that. I am speaking of those calling voters for the 'grassroots' rp12 thing, instead of for the campaign. The campaign does NOT get that information, it has gotten NOTHING.

tsai3904
07-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Those putting in these calls may want to consider if they are really supporting the CAMPAIGN doing this at this point. When the campaign didn't have something in place, that is one thing, but COMPETING with the campaign? How does a supporter rationalize that? I'm curious to know.

I think the problem is that the majority of people using the grassroots phonebank doesn't know that the campaign has finally set up the official phone bank. They wouldn't know unless they signed up as a volunteer on the campaign website or visit this forum/dailypaul. Most meetups have planned a phonebank bomb day and I'm sure there's no reason why they would not prefer to go through the official campaign if they knew the campaign's system was set up.

trey4sports
07-15-2011, 09:17 AM

thats the whole purpose of using that platform, they want to do their own thing and not have to get tangled in FEC reg's.

sailingaway
07-15-2011, 09:23 AM
thats the whole purpose of using that platform, they want to do their own thing and not have to get tangled in FEC reg's.

Do the volunteers doing the work know the campaign has its own phone bank running and is not getting the data from the database they are creating? Because if so, it is their time. But if they are laboring under misinformation, that doesn't seem right.

parocks
07-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Here's the way the .org works - they do everything, the IDing and the Ames request. It is possible (but there is no evidence) that they might be using walking around money to move people to the Straw Poll.

Here's the way rporbust is working now. If you give money to him, he'll give the info to the campaign. He is also taking money from the .org. with the money he gets from the .org, he's IDing voters and giving the data to .org first.

If you do calling for the official campaign, you might be calling previously ID'd voters that rporbust ID'd or that the official campaign ID'd

rpo89orbust is a totally different thing than what we are talking about. I am not speaking of that. I am speaking of those calling voters for the 'grassroots' rp12 thing, instead of for the campaign. The campaign does NOT get that information, it has gotten NOTHING.

LibertyEagle
07-15-2011, 01:57 PM

Well, "their own thing" is driving voters away from Ron Paul. Totally uncool.

FriedChicken
07-15-2011, 03:20 PM
I've done 90% of my phonebanking time with the official campaign - using the official lists I myself called people more than once - they were on my list twice but far enough down the list where I didn't realize it was the same person/number.
It would seem that a person would be on two separate lists and called by two different people by the official campaign.

I'm 100% behind the official campaign's efforts and am not trying to bash them about this - the lists got a little disorganized in places or people were added twice over the years - it happens.
But the repeat calling I don't think is the fault of the .org site.

I'm not trying to tell anyone that what they're doing is good or bad but I'm just saying that I don't believe there has been much overlap between phonebanks.

One of the guys I talked to through the official campaign said that he had already talked to someone with the official campaign - but it wasn't me. So I know my list overlapped on at least one person with another list.

Like I said, I'm not bashing. I'm THRILLED to be working with the campaign and I'm impressed with how well they've been handling volunteers (wish it came sooner, but other than that I have no complaints).

sailingaway
07-15-2011, 03:30 PM
I've done 90% of my phonebanking time with the official campaign - using the official lists I myself called people more than once - they were on my list twice but far enough down the list where I didn't realize it was the same person/number.
It would seem that a person would be on two separate lists and called by two different people by the official campaign.

I'm 100% behind the official campaign's efforts and am not trying to bash them about this - the lists got a little disorganized in places or people were added twice over the years - it happens.
But the repeat calling I don't think is the fault of the .org site.

I'm not trying to tell anyone that what they're doing is good or bad but I'm just saying that I don't believe there has been much overlap between phonebanks.

One of the guys I talked to through the official campaign said that he had already talked to someone with the official campaign - but it wasn't me. So I know my list overlapped on at least one person with another list.

Like I said, I'm not bashing. I'm THRILLED to be working with the campaign and I'm impressed with how well they've been handling volunteers (wish it came sooner, but other than that I have no complaints).

but to the extent the info doesn't get to and belong to the campaign, for their own needs, it is time that could be better spent doing it for the campaign. The campaign phone bank does everything the .org site does plus at the end the campaign owns the database created, and the campaign NEEDS this.

afwjam
07-15-2011, 03:31 PM
I posted on rp2012.org asking if Jun had talked with the campaign. Hope he sees it.

FriedChicken
07-15-2011, 03:51 PM
but to the extent the info doesn't get to and belong to the campaign, for their own needs, it is time that could be better spent doing it for the campaign. The campaign phone bank does everything the .org site does plus at the end the campaign owns the database created, and the campaign NEEDS this.

I wish the info went to the campaign too and in my post I wasn't defending .org from anything other than being blamed for the repeat calling.
I don't think the intel gathered from RP2012 is being wasted, I have confidence Jun will follow up and get these people to the poll - but I'd rather see us working more harmoniously and hate seeing the division this is causing.
Yes, the campaign needs this info. I know. I wish Jun would donate it to them - I'm hoping he will after the poll. I kind of think the only reason he is holding onto it is because he thinks he'll do better with gotv with the list.

I'd rather call through RP2012 than nothing and I'd rather call through the campaign than RP2012.

sailingaway
07-15-2011, 03:52 PM
wasted or not, the campaign should OWN it, whether if for Rand's run in 2016 or for Ron to lease out for money to give liberty candidates... if people are volunteering for the campaign, they should know if the campaign is or is not getting the information. If they know, then it is their time.

Napoleon's Shadow
07-15-2011, 04:11 PM
JerryS@RonPaul2012.com is the Volunteer Coordinator

trey4sports
07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Do the volunteers doing the work know the campaign has its own phone bank running and is not getting the data from the database they are creating? Because if so, it is their time. But if they are laboring under misinformation, that doesn't seem right.

the creator of the program is adamntly against working with the campaign, and i imagine he has told his volunteers that as well.