PDA

View Full Version : Become a delegate, please....

qwerty
07-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Remember the most important thing...

TheTyke
07-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Agree with this post. We're getting ready where I live... hope everyone else is too. :)

MelissaWV
07-15-2011, 04:32 AM
This.

Elwar
07-15-2011, 06:51 AM
Please please please please!!!

Everyone on this board should be a delegate.

RileyE104
07-15-2011, 09:04 AM
I still have no idea how to do this..

Mahkato
07-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Find your local GOP and start going to meetings.

JP2010
07-15-2011, 09:34 AM
The RPoF wants $175 to become a delegate.

There are around 8 openings left in my county.

Is paying for a delegate spot standard procedure?

tsai3904
07-15-2011, 09:39 AM

I assume the delegate position you are referring to is to become a delegate at Presidency 5. If you pay the $175 to become a delegate at Presidency 5, you will get a ticket to the GOP debate on 9/22 and have a vote in the Presidency 5 straw poll. This is different than becoming a delegate at the state level where you would have an official vote for Ron Paul at your state convention or national republican convention.

PeacePlan
07-15-2011, 10:05 AM
IMO this is the most important role that each person must do in order to get Ron Paul as the GOP nominee... This is the base and platform that Ron Paul must stand on and without it, he will fail. If we fail here Ron Paul will fail. Do whatever it takes to become delegates and find out how by asking questions.

In Minnesota I was precinct and district delegate last time and I needed to go to the precinct caucuses that are held on the second Tuesday of Feb. You will need to find out what to do for your state - ask here on RPF and I bet someone can give you the answers on how to do this in your state. If this is not done Ron Paul will not have a chance. Please everyone decide to do this..

PeacePlan
07-15-2011, 10:13 AM

I did not have to give any money to be a delegate in Minnesota. I did need to stand up and volunteer when they asked for who was willing to go to the state convention and that had some costs. I can't recall how much?

RileyE104
07-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Find your local GOP and start going to meetings.

There are Republican meetings at the courthouse once a month. Is that what you mean?
What happens when I go?? BTW, can someone who's 19 still be a delegate? And would they even be willing to tell me how to do so if I asked?

libertarian4321
07-15-2011, 04:39 PM

Texas is easy. Anyone who can vote can be a delegate (age 18+).

It's an open primary so you don't need to do anything in advance. You don't even have to register as a Republican.

Just go to the primary, ask for a Republican ballot, and vote for Ron Paul.

Hang around until the primary ends. After the primary, people who want to attend their precinct convention will go back into the building. Each precinct will be given a room (there will likely be only 1-5 people who show up for your precinct).

The paperwork for nominating delegates to go on to the Senatorial district (regional) convention will be in the room- each precinct gets a limited number of delegates- but most likely anyone who goes to the precinct convention will be allowed to move on the the Senatorial district convention (at the Senatorial district convention, which is much larger, delegates for the State Convention will be chosen)>

Elwar
07-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Texas is easy. Anyone who can vote can be a delegate (age 18+).

It's an open primary so you don't need to do anything in advance. You don't even have to register as a Republican.

Hang around until the primary ends. After the primary, people who want to attend their precinct convention will go back into the building. Each precinct will be given a room (there will likely be only 1-5 people who show up for your precinct).

The paperwork for nominating delegates to go on to the Senatorial district (regional) convention will be in the room- each precinct gets a limited number of delegates- but most likely anyone who goes to the precinct convention will be allowed to move on the the Senatorial district convention (at the Senatorial district convention, which is much larger, delegates for the State Convention will be chosen)>

This.

Bring friends in your district who will vote for you to become precinct chair.

ForLiberty2012
07-16-2011, 08:09 PM
What is a delegate? What is the advantage of being one? And how do you become one?

MelissaWV
07-16-2011, 08:29 PM
What is a delegate? What is the advantage of being one? And how do you become one?

Depending on your state's laws, delegates may entirely decide who gets your state's votes in the primary. When people talk about becoming delegates, they're mixing up a few different things.

Your state may have a convention or other function where delegates come together and cast votes for your state's Republican nominee. The delegates might be appointed, elected, chosen by lottery, or a combination. This is a part of the electoral process that's generally not talked about because it seems boring and complicated. If enough people become delegates that like a certain candidate, that candidate will win that state's votes towards becoming the nominee (again, depending on how your state does things).

Example: In 2008, I ran to be a delegate in WV. I was "elected" online with only a few votes cast in my favor, since no one really cares or participates and there were not that many delegates for other candidates running. You also put who you supported by your name, and mine said "Ron Paul." From there, I went to the GOP Convention at the state capitol. I cast my vote for Ron Paul in the first round. His was the lowest vote total, so he was eliminated from the second round. We were approached as a group and most of us decided it would be a smart move to back Huckabee over Romney (those were the choices) in exchange for 3 delegate spots. Ron Paul had 3 WV delegates for the National GOP Convention as a result. Later on, WV also cast primary ballots for more delegates to the national convention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2008_Republican_Party_presidential_ primaries#West_Virginia_caucuses

The Wiki page is pretty good. You can find your state and get an idea of what went down in 2008.

vroomery
07-16-2011, 09:33 PM
@melissaWV

I'm in clarksburg, wv and looking at being a delegate. So basically for WV in 2008 you entered yourself in some sort of online election and then had friends vote so you could be a state delegate and attend the convention on super Tuesday? I saw on the WV page here that the details will be decided soon, but do you expect things to be the same this time around?

MelissaWV
07-16-2011, 09:35 PM
@melissaWV

I'm in clarksburg, wv and looking at being a delegate. So basically for WV in 2008 you entered yourself in some sort of online election and then had friends vote so you could be a state delegate and attend the convention on super Tuesday? I saw on the WV page here that the details will be decided soon, but do you expect things to be the same this time around?

I'm no longer in the state, so I haven't kept up with this year's proceedings. That is the basic process for last time, and obviously I was registered GOP at the appropriate time as well. Drag others along to be alternates, too; some folks did not show up at the Convention.

HoosierJayhawk
07-16-2011, 09:37 PM
transient Indiana voter here, im voting absentee there because honestly i spend more time in Kansas but the "permanent address" is indiana and im registered to vote there. but as long as i show up to the delegate meeting im fine right??

Uriah
07-16-2011, 09:49 PM

Here is a former thread about becoming a delegate in Texas. It may have changed.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?33207-How-to-become-a-DELEGATE-in-TEXAS (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?33207-How-to-become-a-DELEGATE-in-TEXAS!)!

RileyE104
07-16-2011, 10:55 PM

This is where I get lost... Say I show up late (close to closing time) in order to vote for Paul in the primary. After I vote, do I simply ask the people working the booths what time the precinct convention starts? I feel like if they're assholes they might not even tell me, especially if they know I support Ron Paul. Am I wrong?

Secondly, the people I bring to vote for me if I chose to do so - do they have to live in my DISTRICT or my PRECINCT?

So, if one were to become a delegate, they would need to be able to have a way to get to the State Convention? Do you know where/when that will be held in Texas?

AlexAmore
07-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Damn it I think I'm too late for NH. Look at this:

http://www.nhgop.org/pages/detail/15

sokalione
07-17-2011, 01:30 PM
What Is This Delegate Thing ... I looked up california delegate and it gave me Associate Delegates is it the same thing?

mit26chell
07-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Bump.

I want to do this in Georgia. Unfortunately and embarrassingly I have no idea what this process is.

sokalione
07-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Likewise from california here only thing i found was associate delegate 16 dollar fee

tsai3904
07-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Likewise from california here only thing i found was associate delegate 16 dollar fee

Delegates don't matter too much in California. Each Presidential candidate will give the Secretary of State a list of three people (delegates) per Congressional district. If the candidate wins the Congressional district in the Presidential primary, the three delegates will go to the Republican National Convention as a delegate for that Presidential candidate. Basically, in CA, all that matters is winning the primary.

tsai3904
07-17-2011, 03:17 PM
In 2008, to become the Republican nominee for president, a candidate needed to capture 1,191 delegate votes. Each state has a certain number of delegates and their own process for selecting delegates. Becoming a delegate is very important in some states and not too much in others.

Here's some info from 2008:
http://politics.nytimes.com/election-guide/2008/primaries/republicanprimaries/

Click on each state and go down to "Details of the Nominating Process" to see how each state allocates delegates to the Presidential candidates. Some are winner take all (if a candidate wins the state primary, all delegates go to that candidate) and some are proportional representation.

ronpaulhawaii
07-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Damn it I think I'm too late for NH. Look at this:

http://www.nhgop.org/pages/detail/15

From my reading of this,

Republicans wishing to be elected a delegate to the Republican State Convention held in the fall prior to biennial elections (even numbered years) should sign up during filing period for all candidates in June (2nd to 11th)

It looks like it is June 2012. For certain you should be attending GOP meetings now, regardless. There are many reasons for this...

White Bear Lake
07-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Can any other Minnesotans on here explain how the Minnesota process works. I'm interested, but not sure if it's too late or anything.

I plus I live in a White Bear precinct now but I'll be going to the U of M this fall and I'll be voting in Minneapolis, so getting involved in my current precinct doesn't seem worthwhile.

Any helps appreciated.

sokalione
07-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Thank you for the info

AlexAmore
07-17-2011, 04:29 PM
From my reading of this,

It looks like it is June 2012. For certain you should be attending GOP meetings now, regardless. There are many reasons for this...

That was the part I found confusing. Given the opportunity, I'll definitely be going after a delegate position. I just looked at their calendar. I will be getting involved ASAP with the first meetings near me. They've got my county's Repub annual picnic, and a lobster bake for young Republicans next month.

Eric21ND
07-17-2011, 04:48 PM
North Dakota

Tuesday 7 February 2012 (tentative date): 25 of 28 delegates to the Republican National Convention are allocated to presidential contenders in today's North Dakota Republican Party Caucuses.

If one candidate receives more than 2/3 of the statewide vote, that candidate receives all 25 delegates. Otherwise, delegates are allocated proportionally to those candidates receiving 15% or more of the vote.

Three party leaders, the National Committeeman, the National Committeewoman, and the chairman of the North Dakota's Republican Party, will attend the convention as uncommitted delegates by virtue of their position.

Delegates are bound for the first ballot at the Republican National Convention.

Ron Paul received 5 delegates from North Dakota in 2008.