PDA

View Full Version : Cantor Unnerves the One; Walks Out of Debt Negotations in a Huff

AuH20
07-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Cantor has a penchant for being hard-nosed. Kudos to him here for standing up to this sycophant unlike Hopelessly Corrupt Mitch.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/07/13/oh-my-angry-obama-storms-out-of-debt-ceiling-negotiations/

Cantor said he told the president that the two sides remain so far apart at this point that he doubted they could get to $2.5 trillion in cuts (to match the debt increase requested by the administration, enough to get through the 2012 election) given the time available. President Obama has said he will not sign any increase to the debt ceiling less than that amount, and Cantor had previously insisted that the House would vote no more than one time to increase the debt limit. Cantor said he was willing to abandon his position in order to allow some kind of short-term measure to increase the debt limit and reassure credit markets while negotiations continue, and asked the president if he would be willing to consider this option.

At this point, Cantor explained, the president became “very agitated” and said he had “sat here long enough,” that “Ronald Reagan wouldn’t sit here like this” and “something’s got to give.” Obama then told Republicans they either needed to compromise on their insistence on a dollar for dollar ratio of spending cuts to debt increase or agree to a “grand bargain” including massive tax increases. Before walking out of the room, Cantor said, the president told him: “Eric, don’t call my bluff. I’m going to the American people with this.” He then “shoved back” and said “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Sounds like Cantor and Co. are listening to Ron:

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-walks-debt-limit-talks-wednesday-003605912.html

One GOP aide familiar with the talks told The Daily Caller that Wednesday’s meeting was the “most tense meeting of the week.”

“The Speaker challenged the President to offer real spending cuts,” said the aide. “He said the gimmicks and accounting tricks that Washington has used for decades are not applicable here. When White House officials attempted to justify budgetary gimmicks, the speaker said pointedly, ‘We’re not doing that anymore.’”[

Sola_Fide
07-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Haha...funny. It's all meaningless and won't bind any future congresses anyway, right?

Ohhhhh...but we are supposed to be "interested" and "engaged" in this "struggle" between which gang of criminals can turn us into Greece faster.

AuH20
07-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Haha...funny. It's all meaningless and won't bind any future congresses anyway, right?

Ohhhhh...but we are supposed to be "interested" and "engaged" in this "struggle" between which gang of criminals can turn us into Greece faster.

It is interesting because Cantor knows he can't go back empty-handed with more empty promises since the public's patience is nil. The GOP is literally being held hostage by roughly 90 house seats, which is the most amusing aspect of this. 90 little house seats has the president flying off the handle. Everyone knows the Senate is hopeless to change as exhibited by Mitch's incredulous behavior, but the HoR can be a powerful lever.

sailingaway
07-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Cantor's in a huff. Is this news? Who here expects CANTOR to come up with a solution?

georgiaboy
07-13-2011, 09:00 PM
This whole debt ceiling circus is just sickening. Hearing Obama getting all Armageddon is so 2008 Bush TARP.

I'm looking forward to watching them not pass a raise to the debt ceiling, then watch choreographed "panic" ensue across the airwaves, then watch them pass an 'emergency' debt ceiling increase narrowly./sarc

My talking point to those who wish to raise taxes to foster compromise as part of the debt ceiling deal -- "You've already raised everyone's taxes. When you allowed TARP, Stimulus, Bailouts, QE1,2,etc., that monetary inflation just weakened every citizen's buying power exactly like a tax would. Now it's time to focus on the other side of the scale."

Pro-Life Libertarian
07-13-2011, 09:04 PM
I have to hand it to Cantor. He doesn't cave easily. He stopped Boehner from accepting Obama's deal with revenue increases.

AuH20
07-13-2011, 09:04 PM
This whole debt ceiling circus is just sickening. Hearing Obama getting all Armageddon is so 2008 Bush TARP.

I'm looking forward to watching them not pass a raise to the debt ceiling, then watch choreographed "panic" ensue across the airwaves, then watch them pass an 'emergency' debt ceiling increase narrowly./sarc

My talking point to those who wish to raise taxes to foster compromise as part of the debt ceiling deal -- "You've already raised everyone's taxes. When you allowed TARP, Stimulus, Bailouts, QE1,2,etc., that monetary inflation just weakened every citizen's buying power exactly like a tax would. Now it's time to focus on the other side of the scale."

Obama's immature behavior is two-fold:

(1) he wants to disarm the profligate spender label from the 2012 presidential dialogue
(2) divide and conquer what's left of the GOP

If I'm Cantor I give him no lifeline with a historical cut package of misdirection. Let him pound sand. I'd also let Obama play the hard cards of check freezes as well, unlike Mitch the Bitch.

Anti Federalist
07-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Obama got the word from his bankster bosses:

Make this happen, or else!

Cowlesy
07-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Cantor is only doing this because he has political cover as he's not Speaker, and he wants the Speaker's job, so in his Machiavellian world, Boehner getting kneecapped is good for business.

AuH20
07-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Obama got the word from his bankster bosses:

Make this happen, or else!

If Obama eats it on these negotiations, the yokels are going to learn quickly that the Empire has a soft underbelly when it comes to their debt addiction. He can't lose this battle and if he's forced to escalate the matter in a more forceful fashion, the frog in boiling water plan flies out the window.

AuH20
07-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Cantor is only doing this because he has political cover as he's not Speaker, and he wants the Speaker's job, so in his Machiavellian world, Boehner getting kneecapped is good for business.

That's part of it but Cantor is one who relishes a fight as opposed to Boehner. He may not be the ideal Republican but he's the type of guy you want on your team.

Anti Federalist
07-13-2011, 09:15 PM
If Obama eats it on these negotiations, the yokels are going to learn quick that the Empire has a soft underbelly when it comes to their debt addiction. He can't lose this battle and if he's forced to escalate the matter in a more forceful fashion, the frog in boiling water plan flies out the window.

Precisely.

O-bomb-ya is in a nine line bind here.

He has no choice but act like the dictator that all presidents have been for the last 40 years or so.

Kylie
07-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Precisely.

O-bomb-ya is in a nine line bind here.

He has no choice but act like the dictator that all presidents have been for the last 40 years or so.

Word.

If he caves, he's toast. Like shot from a grassy knoll toast. Almost makes ya feel sorry for him.

Nah, he chose his path. Wrong choice.

cindy25
07-13-2011, 10:27 PM
I am just afraid Cantor could end up as speaker because of this. they need to cut empire building and foreign aid, and neither side has it on the table

Carehn
07-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Im I the only one who thinks this is awesome. I personally am hoping an actual fist fight brakes out. They are falling apart. Panicking and as long as they fight each other the only people and thing who will be destroyed is the federal government and those living off the dole.

If they ever teem up then we loose and what ever mane country they desire to go to war with to ' improve the economy'

Yes i bet they all think war will help. But you cant expect much from shit heads.

amy31416
07-13-2011, 10:49 PM
It's the government version of a "reality" show. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't believe for a second that either Cantor or Obama truly believes in anything they're saying or promoting, they just want to win the game.

At our expense.

Carehn
07-13-2011, 10:50 PM
It's the government version of a "reality" show. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't believe for a second that either Cantor or Obama truly believes in anything they're saying or promoting, they just want to win the game.

At our expense.

Shut up! Im trying to watch my storys!!! I think the undertaker is up next.

daviddee
07-14-2011, 12:21 AM

Brian4Liberty
07-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Pure theater. Cantor and Obama are laughing about it right now.

devil21
07-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Theater folks, all theater. Don't get caught up in the fake soap opera story lines.

Romulus
07-14-2011, 07:12 AM
He's going to the American people on this??

Sounds like more of a sitcom than a soap opera.

These clowns should join the circus.

Pericles
07-14-2011, 09:45 AM

And in the overall scheme of things, I'm OK with that as the same thing can just as easily happen to Cantor.

TheNcredibleEgg
07-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Eric, don’t call my bluff

So Obama admits it's a bluff?

Jace
07-14-2011, 12:02 PM

Romulus
07-14-2011, 12:19 PM
So Obama admits it's a bluff?

Lol. Good one.

Brian4Liberty
07-14-2011, 03:54 PM
I expect Cantor to come up with the solution.

That's about right, you can see the future! :collins: