PDA

View Full Version : Are there enough open primary states?

Elwar
10-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Ok, so let's say this situation starts to occur...Ron Paul starts winning every state that has open primaries...where Independents and Democrats cross over in droves to support him and give him a win in their state.

Are there enough open primary states to win the country?

Will we be need to put a hard core focus on a few closed primary states with some strong Republican messages?

erowe1
10-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Obviously we want to win the closed primary states. Who ever said otherwise?
Ron Paul is the most conservative Republican candidate by far. Even if you're for the war, Paul is still your guy if you're a conservative, either fiscally or socially. Democrat and Independent crossover votes are definitely worth going for, and they'll work to Paul's advantage. But if he doesn't take the bulk of core GOP votes, then he won't get the GOP nomination, regardless of open versus closed primaries.

TechnoGuyRob
10-31-2007, 01:07 PM
http://winwin08.org/

No.

Kacela
10-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Based on the information over at http://www.primarilypaul.com/ron-paul-in-the-primaries/ , it looks as though 23 states are open, but nine states are "Modified Closed", meaning as long as you are an "unaffiliated" voter, you can vote in a particular parties primary; you automatically become a member of that party for at least 90 days.

Bradley in DC
10-31-2007, 01:14 PM
While Rudy has a lot of support (inexplicable to me), and Mitt and McCain has some, our supporters are working hard--including getting people to switch party registrations in time (we have until January).

Elwar
10-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Ok, I ran a few numbers and even if Ron Paul wins every open primary (including Arkansas, Tennessee and taking all delegates in proportional states) he'd have 973 votes out of 2481.

I only raise this issue because the "scientific" national polls are giving a good indication of "likely Republican" support even though he has a groundswell of people who didn't vote in the last election.

The closed primary states will need some help if this phenomenon starts occurring.

RP4ME
10-31-2007, 01:43 PM
We are having an open Primary in VA and RP does have alot of support here! We rarely ever have presidential primaries so its truly a GIFT we are getting one this year - we just need DELEGATES!