PDA

View Full Version : John McCain's "Heroes" Accused of Pillage and Beatings

RonPaulFanInGA
07-13-2011, 04:41 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/world/africa/13libya.html

ZINTAN, Libya — Rebels in the mountains in Libya’s west have looted and damaged four towns seized since last month from the forces of Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi, part of a series of abuses and apparent reprisals against suspected loyalists that have chased residents of these towns away, Human Rights Watch said Tuesday.

The looting included many businesses and at least two medical centers that, like the towns, are now deserted and bare.

Rebel fighters also beat people suspected of being loyalists and burned their homes, the organization said.

Vessol
07-13-2011, 04:46 PM
I remember on these forums right during the outbreak of the Libyan civil war, there was a few starry eyed people here who didn't want interventionism, but wanted people to volunteer to help the Libyan rebels fight against tyranny.

It got off-topic, but I can recall stating that it would come to this. People would be accused of being loyalists to Ghadaffi, they would be killed. Women would be raped for being married to loyalists or simply living in the wrong town. This happens during every conflict, there is no good and evil side. Each side commits atrocities.

Even during the Revolutionary War you had tens of thousands of Americans fleeing to Canada. Loyalists to the British had their property confiscated, some were killed, others undoubtedly were raped.

Violence itself is immoral, but organized violence on any scale is even more immoral.

Maximus
07-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Don't worry guys, their leader says that the reprisals were "not sanctioned". I'm sure it won't happen ever again :rolleyes: