PDA

View Full Version : Undocumented Immigrants Steer Clear of Arizona

TheDrakeMan
07-12-2011, 09:47 PM
People on both sides of the immigration debate in Arizona are skeptical of new research that shows a national decrease in the flow of illegal immigration from Mexico into the United States. But there is one thing they are certain of: undocumented immigrants are steering clear of the border state.

“I think they are just avoiding Arizona,” said Jesse Hernández, a real estate agent who works in the Maryvale neighborhood where the exodus of immigrants, due to the crackdown on illegal immigration and the implosion of the housing market, is especially visible. “They are going to California and other places. No matter how much worse things are in the U.S., they are still coming over here. It’s a human interest to look for a better opportunity.”

{snip}

A study released last year by BBVA Bancomer Research, a financial institution in Mexico, found that 100,000 Latinos had fled the state [Arizona] in 2010. Based on remittance information, the study estimated that about 23,000 of them were Mexican nationals who returned to Mexico from June through September 2010.

Beyond SB 1070, says [Mark] Krikorian, Arizona’s experience with another immigration law pushed immigrants away. That was an employer sanctions law passed in 2007 that made it mandatory for businesses to use a federal database known as E-Verify to check the immigration status of their new hires and also made them subject to penalties if they knowingly hired unauthorized workers.

It was Arizona’s success stemming the flow of illegal immigration that inspired other states to enact legislation similar to SB 1070, according to Krikorian. But he believes is too early to tell what will happen in places like Georgia that recently enacted legislation even tougher than the Arizona law.

{snip}

http://newamericamedia.org/2011/07/undocumented-immigrants-steer-clear-of-arizona.php

heavenlyboy34
07-12-2011, 10:35 PM
As effective as SB1070 has been, I believe it would be even more effective (and cheaper) to allow all the border land to be privately owned so folks can defend it the same way the rest of us defend our properties.

Paul Or Nothing II
07-13-2011, 05:54 AM
As effective as SB1070 has been, I believe it would be even more effective (and cheaper) to allow all the border land to be privately owned so folks can defend it the same way the rest of us defend our properties.

Agreed but then it'd've to be people who want & can defend their property but I think private property or not, I think Americans there should have every right to put holes in the invaders' skulls. Here's why - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?295465-Ron-Paul-Moving-to-the-Left-on-Immigration&p=3388645&viewfull=1#post3388645 (scroll down to the last couple of paragraphs)

DamianTV
07-13-2011, 09:20 AM
If a Mexican legally immigrates to the U.S., speaks english, has a job or their own business, isn't a leech on the system, wouldnt just about anyone consider that person to be an American? If so, why do so many of them identify themselves as Mexicans and not Americans?

(Point of Clarification: that is saying Mexican as in immigrated from the country of origin from Mexico, and not trying to use the word Mexican as a derrogatory term to desrcribe all hispanic or latino immigrants)

So I run into a few on occassion. Ok. Youre latino or hispanic. So what? You speak english. Great! Good enough for me. To me, youre an American. No big whoop, and I dont really care where they are from. But when they start saying shit in Spanish that we should only teach in Spanish in our public schools, and refuse to learn english (hey, I'll help you if youre willing to learn) and refuse to teach their kids english, I start getting upset. I start getting upset at them for the generalized decision and choice to not even try to integrate with the existing community.

I know that is kind of a generalized response to the specific bill, but I think there are a few other people that see Illegal Immigration as a problem.
http://www.rense.com/general94/whatif20.htm

I dont know how many of the facts here are Objective and not Subjectively observed (IE skewed), but obviously the author believes that the refusal to integrate into society and try to carve out their own niche is creating quite a few problems. Again, it has to do with the choices they make once they come here, not just because one person wants to live a better life, cant blame someone for that, or the color of their skin.

specialK
07-13-2011, 10:15 AM

That's a great opportunity for organized crime syndicates to use their buying power to purchase border properties and use them for smuggling.

Acala
07-13-2011, 10:31 AM
That's a great opportunity for organized crime syndicates to use their buying power to purchase border properties and use them for smuggling.

It wouldn't even have to be organized crime. Why not just an individual owner? "You want to pay me ten ounces of silver just to walk across my property? NOOOO PROBLEM! Don't litter and be off the property before sundown."

specialK
07-13-2011, 10:47 AM
It wouldn't even have to be organized crime. Why not just an individual owner? "You want to pay me ten ounces of silver just to walk across my property? NOOOO PROBLEM! Don't litter and be off the property before sundown."

I know, but just think of how much bigger the problem would become. One large crime organization could easily pay double the market price or more for border real estate, eventually buying up the majority of border land, making them, one organization, the controlling power of what comes in the country.

ravedown
07-13-2011, 12:43 PM
ive been told by people who own businesses in arizona that cater to Hispanics (insurance/check cashing/ legal services etc.) that business has totally dried up. i couldn't believe it...btw, why am i not hearing about this in the news?