PDA

View Full Version : Weigel writes a salute to Ron Paul's congressional career

sailingaway
07-12-2011, 06:31 PM
http://www.slate.com/id/2299086/

Either the Fed Goes, or I Do
Ron Paul retires from Congress, leaving behind a GOP that finally learned to love him.

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/123054/2279718/2298437/110712_POL_ronPaulTN.jpg

story at link but here's a bit:

Paul will leave Congress next year as arguably the most intellectually influential member of the House of Representatives in a generation. (I write "arguably" even though trying to think of a runner-up is a deeply depressing task.) He was not necessarily a successful legislator. But his career has been remarkable for its consistency.

Starting with an uphill campaign for Congress in 1974, through a wilderness period where he won the Libertarian Party's presidential nomination, and continuing with a 1996 comeback that the mainstream GOP opposed, Paul advocated the same economic and foreign policies for 37 years. A call to abolish the Federal Reserve, a campaign to return to the gold standard, a belief that America's foreign interventionism was illegal and unsustainable: Some of his positions remain on the fringe of politics, but others have proved remarkably popular in America's center-right party.

"I think Ron proves that the tortoise beats the hare—a lesson the Tea Party has yet to learn," says Bruce Bartlett. When Paul was first sent to Congress in a 1976 special election, Bartlett worked in his office. "Ron started talking about his issues back in the 1970s and didn't really begin to get traction on them until the last few years. And during many of those years he labored in desolation with very little support or attention. Now he has succeeded in at least putting his issues and his philosophy in the forefront of American politics."...

There's a great old video of Ron in there, too...

sailingaway
07-12-2011, 10:28 PM
bump for nighttime readers

Cowlesy
07-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Read it; was a nice piece by Weigel, especially the shout-out for being the most intellectual member of Congress in the past generation (he qualifies with arguably to satiate all his friends in the media).

LibertyEagle
07-12-2011, 10:56 PM
A part of me is still in shock that he's doing this, considering he finally, finally, got the Chairmanship of that Monetary subcommittee. I was hoping he would be able to get an investigation into the FED's activities.

Andrew-Austin
07-12-2011, 11:07 PM
A part of me is still in shock that he's doing this, considering he finally, finally, got the Chairmanship of that Monetary subcommittee. I was hoping he would be able to get an investigation into the FED's activities.

I'm sure if he thought he could get a meaningful investigation of the FED he would have stayed.

sailingaway
07-12-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm sure if he thought he could get a meaningful investigation of the FED he would have stayed.

Yeah, I'm betting he's decided they aren't going to give him much, and what they will give him he can get the benefit of in a year, with events moving so quickly. But it was a shock to me, too.

Paul Or Nothing II
07-13-2011, 05:51 AM

I'm shocked too :( I just hope that he'll reconsider his decision if he doesn't get the GOP nomination & keeps spreading his liberty message from the Congress, these are some of the BEST times for spreading the liberty message, especially when SHTF so that he could at least say "I'd told ya" :) & that'll hopefully allow some younger liberty candidate to take advantage of it & win the presidency :)