PDA

View Full Version : Obama: I can't guarantee Social Security checks Unless the debt ceiling is raise

aGameOfThrones
07-12-2011, 03:08 PM
"This is not just a matter of Social Security checks," Obama also told CBS News. "These are veterans' checks; these are folks on disability and their checks. There are about 70 million checks that go out."

When CBS anchor Scott Pelley followed up by asking, "can you guarantee as president those checks will go out on August the 3rd?," Obama said: "I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd, if we haven't resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2011/07/Obama-Debt-dispute-threatens-Social-Security-176615/1

Humanae Libertas
07-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Lord almighty -- 70 million Social Security checks!?

Fredom101
07-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Wow, shit is going to hit the fan faster than I thought. The government is paying its bills with a credit card, and now making up for money it stole with another credit card. Oh boy.

Fox McCloud
07-12-2011, 03:14 PM
He's just trying to hold social security hostage in order to force what he wants--nothing more than political grand-standing, IMHO.

Razmear
07-12-2011, 03:15 PM
So will our 3 (or is it 5) wars also stop on August 3rd? Somehow I don't think so.

Kords21
07-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Ron needs to get out in front of this and put into crystal clear terms his plan to save and end Social Security over the long term.

Kotin
What a sociopath.

Working Poor
So will our 3 (or is it 5) wars also stop on August 3rd? Somehow I don't think so.

Yea that's what I am talking about.

Sola_Fide
07-12-2011, 03:22 PM
What a vicious liar.

JamesButabi
07-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Ron needs to get out in front of this and put into crystal clear terms his plan to save and end Social Security over the long term.

Yep. Ive said this over and over. If Ron Paul wants to win, he would constantly stump on saving entitlements for the older folks and dismantling for the young.

showpan
07-12-2011, 03:40 PM
It would be awesome if they don't mail those checks out, our seniors would be the ones who start the revolution.

Kords21
07-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Wasn't there a south park episode where the seniors rose up and took over the town over something like being banned from driving? Life imitates art?

Romulus
07-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Nice bold threats for our leader.

Cut your empire Obomber.

Kelly.
07-12-2011, 03:49 PM
should have asked if there would be enough money to bomb libya if the debt ceiling wasnt raised,

then ask him to exlpain how this country has money to bomb people, but not to pay SS checks.

trey4sports
He's just trying to hold social security hostage in order to force what he wants--nothing more than political grand-standing, IMHO.

bingo

wizardwatson
Of course there's always plenty of money to bomb the shit out of brown people.

YumYum
07-12-2011, 03:52 PM
How is Ron doing among the elderly? Look at the comments about this on Yahoo. These elderly people are super pissed off!!

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-lawmakers-fall-short-debt-deal-045247357.html

Acala
07-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Hahahaha! Why does this strike me as funny? Because it is such a blatant hostage ploy that I think EVERYONE will see it as such?

Sorry Grandma, I guess it is cat food for you this month. Haliburton needs a new pair of shoes.

YumYum
07-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Didn't elderly people help put Obama in office? And this is how he repays them?

Romulus
07-12-2011, 04:05 PM
should have asked if there would be enough money to bomb libya if the debt ceiling wasnt raised,

then ask him to exlpain how this country has money to bomb people, but not to pay SS checks.

Ask him how we have enough money to give away to foreign dictators.

Romulus
07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Hahahaha! Why does this strike me as funny? Because it is such a blatant hostage ploy that I think EVERYONE will see it as such?

Sorry Grandma, I guess it is cat food for you this month. Haliburton needs a new pair of shoes.

lol thanks for that laugh.

emazur
07-12-2011, 04:14 PM
And why is that Obama? First he says not raising the debt ceiling means defaulting on paying interest on the debt (which is false), and now he says it could mean defaulting on Social Security? What does that tell you? It tells me the Social Security "Trust Fund" is a lie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTLiqD2YkGI), Social Security deficits are permanent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9vxfczmiwI), and that Social Security IS a Ponzi Scheme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITMEZImvNio) that will end when the whold damn think collapses like a Madoff investment.

Seriously, if forum members here ask their friends, family, and coworkers "Why is Obama saying Social Security checks won't go out even though there is a trust fund?", I'd be curious to hear the responses.

dannno
07-12-2011, 04:16 PM

I'm making this into a meme.

But I'm going to spell Halliburton correctly.

Maximus
07-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Wasn't there a south park episode where the seniors rose up and took over the town over something like being banned from driving? Life imitates art?

It was like a Hometown Buffet or something like that, good episode

Theocrat
07-12-2011, 04:28 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2011/07/Obama-Debt-dispute-threatens-Social-Security-176615/1

Translation: "Either do what I want, or I'll make some people suffer."

Nobel Peace Prize, my ass...

kahless
07-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Both parties sicken me. Where is the outrage in the media or with either party concerning spending for the needless overseas empire. No mention of cutting that or other needless federal spending and departments. Instead these sick bastards are going to cut off the elderly and those in need.

Regardless what people think about whether the government should provide these services it is inhumane to cut them off or even scare these folks with such political tactics. First things first, gut and shut everything else first should be the priority.

Acala
07-12-2011, 04:35 PM

But I'm going to spell Halliburton correctly.

Very funny. I was talking about the town of Haliburton, Ontario, Canada. They are in financial trouble and Obama pledged his Imperial help.

nobody's_hero
07-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Suddenly he cares about the veterans?

Acala
07-12-2011, 04:41 PM
oops

Theocrat
07-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Both parties sicken me. Where is the outrage in the media or with either party concerning spending for the needless overseas empire. No mention of cutting that or other needless federal spending and departments. Instead these sick bastards are going to cut off the elderly and those in need.

Regardless what people think about whether the government should provide these services it is inhumane to cut them off or even scare these folks with such political tactics. First things first, gut and shut everything else first should be the priority.

It's so Democrats can blame Republicans for "stopping Social Security benefits" because of their refusal to increase the debt ceiling, thus, securing a victory for Obama in 2012.

dannno
07-12-2011, 05:22 PM

http://urimg.net/35b81.jpg

UtahApocalypse
07-12-2011, 05:27 PM
It's so Democrats can blame Republicans for "stopping Social Security benefits" because of their refusal to increase the debt ceiling, thus, securing a victory for Obama in 2012.

At least someone hear sees it for what it is.so Obama threatens Social Security, veterans and disability checks if we don't raise the debt ceiling. That's right cut the funds to the people to play their emotions rather then cut the billions of unneeded services, agencies, or reduce our overseas occupations. I now officially HATE Obama more then I ever imagined.

specsaregood
07-12-2011, 05:29 PM

winner

nocompromises
07-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Obama is a piece of good for nothing trash just like the neocons.

The fact is there are many things that could be cut before Social Security.

For example...

1) We could save BILLIONS of dollars by bringing all our troops home from around the world.

2) We could cut all foreign aid immediately.

3) We could abolish the DEA and leave drug enforcement to the states.

4) We could cut thousand of unconstitutional government programs.

I'm all for abolishing social security, but it is the last thing we need to cut.

Fredom101
07-12-2011, 05:50 PM
It would be awesome if they don't mail those checks out, our seniors would be the ones who start the revolution.

They may, but it would be completely for the wrong reason. The seniors would be demanding the government use more violence to wrangle more money from the rest of us. There's so many ways this thing is so F'd up it's beyond belief!

ClayTrainor
07-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Obama is a piece of good for nothing trash just like the neocons.

The fact is there are many things that could be cut before Social Security.

For example...

1) We could save BILLIONS of dollars by bringing all our troops home from around the world.

2) We could cut all foreign aid immediately.

3) We could abolish the DEA and leave drug enforcement to the states.

4) We could cut thousand of unconstitutional government programs.

I'm all for abolishing social security, but it is the last thing we need to cut.

Dead on! +rep

Working Poor
07-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Go go Grey Panthers!

awake
07-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Obama is simply acting out Bill Clinton's standoff in 1995. It's like the a well choreographed dance by both parties... This strategy is simply a regurgitation with expectation of similar results.

Your checks didn't show? Government shutdown? Your pension fund is full of Tbombs about to implode? Blame the Republicans.

torchbearer
07-12-2011, 06:03 PM
i'd see that bet, and raise you 700 bases overseas.

sorianofan
07-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Obama said, 'BLAH BLAH BLAH, GIVE ME MORE MONEY OR I'LL STARVE GRANDMA.'

Stop bombing countries first you fucking piece of shit.

aravoth
07-12-2011, 06:30 PM
http://objectsinmotion.org/obama-suggests-witholding-social-security-checks/

This President apparently feels that Social Security should be cut long before we ever discuss the amount of money we are spending overseas in foreign aide. Of course, talk of ending the wars, and putting a halt to the bombings in Libya, Pakistan, and Yemen, is completely off the table.

There isn’t any money in the coffers because Barack Obama and George Bush spent it all. I didn’t even think it was possible for a president to rack up 5.5 trillion dollars of debt in two years, but Obama proved that it could be done. Now he’s making passive threats about Veteran Benefits and Social Security, all because he was to stupid to figure out that expanding the war on terror, bombing countries we aren’t even at war with, bailing out billionaire bankers, and “stimulating” the economy required a lot of money that we did not have.

Someone please inform Barack “Peace Prize” Obama, that if we stopped spending a trillion dollars a year killing people for “humanitarian” reasons, there wouldn’t even be a debt ceiling debate.

I posted that on my blog this morning.

flightlesskiwi
07-12-2011, 09:46 PM
funny how when the .gov was gonna shut down, it was the military members who weren't going to get paid. that didn't provoke enough of an outrage, just a little bit of the heart-string "but our troops are fighting and they won't get their checks. how horrible! *sniffle sniffle*" .

now he has come out swinging. he's been told to target the mob-mentality senior crowd (just look at the damn town hall meetings) that has overwhelming numbers and lobbying power. brilliant tactic.

fuck you, obama. fuck you.

Carehn
07-12-2011, 09:49 PM
now he has come out swinging. he's been told to target the mob-mentality senior crowd (just look at the damn town hall meetings) that has overwhelming numbers and lobbying power. brilliant tactic.
fuck you, obama. fuck you.

This time it will work. Obama really is smart when it comes to political tactics. Sucks he has to be such a statist warmongering nut.

devil21
07-12-2011, 09:52 PM
So much for that whole "ending the politics of fear" we heard about from candidate Obama. This guy is flipflopping with lightning speed.

squarepusher
07-12-2011, 09:54 PM
according to treasury secretary, there will be no priority places on payments, thus SS will not be guaranteed so this is a true statement.

jm1776
07-13-2011, 05:43 AM
The fight over the remaining crumbs has begun, but...

Cuts will be pledged, the debt ceiling will be raised, money will printed and the dollar will be destroyed. Same old play, different act.

HOLLYWOOD
07-13-2011, 06:30 AM
Obama knows absolutely nothing about the Debt Crisis/Economics, but with his staff of propagandists, they know much about manipulation.

You mean after all these years, of all of us, paying into Social Security, into OUR retirement fund... Obama says NO CHECKS to be sent? Hmm even with the Treasury collecting $2.6 Trillion dollars in FY2011 revenue, BESIDES Social Security funded by the people/employers?

Obama just admitted, that Washington DC has STOLEN OUR RETIREMENT FUND and he has to use Fear Mongering Alarmist propaganda to have the people "Look Over There"... to save their PONZI SCHEME?

speciallyblend
07-13-2011, 06:46 AM
cut defense spending! oo yeah obama/bush 2012 could never consider that!

HOLLYWOOD
07-13-2011, 08:19 AM
Dennis Kucinich just had an opening general speech on the House floor.

He just called-out Obama's phony "No Checks For Social Security Recipients". Basically called him a hypocrite and fear mongered campaign quoting Obama has previously stating, "Social Security is sound and contains a surplus of $2.7 Trillion and solvent through 2037."

This is where that kook Xavier Beccera D-CA, who's the ranking liberal on the House Ways & Means committee's subcommittee for Social Security. For years he been saying that SS has all our money in it, that people who say Social Security is broke are liars. All the Money is there."

Well... guess who's the NUMBER 1 holder of Federal Government Bonds(LOANS)? The People's Social Security Fund. almost $2.6 Trillion in US Bond Debt.

Want the Social Security FUND explained in SIMPLE TERMS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GSXbgfKFWg

http://becerra.house.gov/templates/becerra/images/header.jpg

Working Poor
07-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Obama knows absolutely nothing about the Debt Crisis/Economics, but with his staff of propagandists, they know much about manipulation.

You mean after all these years, of all of us, paying into Social Security, into OUR retirement fund... Obama says NO CHECKS to be sent? Hmm even with the Treasury collecting $2.6 Trillion dollars in FY2011 revenue, BESIDES Social Security funded by the people/employers?

Obama just admitted, that Washington DC has STOLEN OUR RETIREMENT FUND and he has to use Fear Mongering Alarmist propaganda to have the people "Look Over There"... to save their PONZI SCHEME?

I quoted you somewhere else I hope you don't mind.

aGameOfThrones
07-13-2011, 09:33 AM
1960 Scotus case of Flemming v. Nestor.

It involved Bulgarian-born Ephram Nestor, who was deported in 1956, having been involved in Communist activity in the 1930s. The federal government denied him his Social Security benefits, citing 1954 amendments to the Social Security Act that denied payments to anyone deported for criminal activity after August of that year. Nestor Sued on the grounds that "throughout the history of the Social Security Act, old-age insurance benefits have been referred to as a right of the recipient which he has earned and paid for."

The federal government prepared a legal brief in defense of its position that Nestor was not entitled to his benefits. The brief explained that Social Security was in no sense a federally administered "insurance program" under which each worker pays premiums over the years and acquires at retirement an indefeasible right to receive for life a fixed monthly benefit,irrespective of the conditions which Congress has chosen to impose from time to time.... The "contribution" exacted under the social security plan from an employee...is a True Tax. It is not comparable to a premium under a policy of insurance promising the payment of an annuity commencing at a designated age.

From Thomas Woods JR. 33 questions about American History.

"To engraft upon the Social Security system a concept of "accrued property rights" would deprive it of the flexibility and boldness in adjustment to ever-changing conditions which it demands. It was doubtless out of an awareness of the need for such flexibility that Congress included in the original Act, and [363 U.S. 603, 611] has since retained, a clause expressly reserving to it "[t]he right to alter, amend, or repeal any provision" of the Act.

We must conclude that a person covered by the Act has not such a right in benefit payments as would make every defeasance of "accrued" interests violative of the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment. FLEMMING v. NESTOR, 363 U.S. 603 (1960)"

HOLLYWOOD
07-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Yep, pretty much sums it up. Swindled at all levels.
1960 Scotus case of Flemming v. Nestor.

It involved Bulgarian-born Ephram Nestor, who was deported in 1956, having been involved in Communist activity in the 1930s. The federal government denied him his Social Security benefits, citing 1954 amendments to the Social Security Act that denied payments to anyone deported for criminal activity after August of that year. Nestor Sued on the grounds that "throughout the history of the Social Security Act, old-age insurance benefits have been referred to as a right of the recipient which he has earned and paid for."

The federal government prepared a legal brief in defense of its position that Nestor was not entitled to his benefits. The brief explained that Social Security was in no sense a federally administered "insurance program" under which each worker pays premiums over the years and acquires at retirement an indefeasible right to receive for life a fixed monthly benefit,irrespective of the conditions which Congress has chosen to impose from time to time.... The "contribution" exacted under the social security plan from an employee...is a True Tax. It is not comparable to a premium under a policy of insurance promising the payment of an annuity commencing at a designated age.

From Thomas Woods JR. 33 questions about American History.

"To engraft upon the Social Security system a concept of "accrued property rights" would deprive it of the flexibility and boldness in adjustment to ever-changing conditions which it demands. It was doubtless out of an awareness of the need for such flexibility that Congress included in the original Act, and [363 U.S. 603, 611] has since retained, a clause expressly reserving to it "[t]he right to alter, amend, or repeal any provision" of the Act.

We must conclude that a person covered by the Act has not such a right in benefit payments as would make every defeasance of "accrued" interests violative of the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment. FLEMMING v. NESTOR, 363 U.S. 603 (1960)"

Lucille
07-13-2011, 10:20 AM
"The New Deal divided America into those who work for a living, and those who vote for a living."
--H. L. Mencken

The oldsters are part of the latter.

PaleoForPaul
07-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Yep. Ive said this over and over. If Ron Paul wants to win, he would constantly stump on saving entitlements for the older folks and dismantling for the young.

This would be a guaranteed winner. Save it for those over 40 or 45, allow young people to opt out or simply get rid of the system for them. Point out the evils of having all these wars, inflation, and banker bailouts while threatening seniors who paid into the system with "no checks".

PaleoForPaul
07-13-2011, 10:37 AM
"The New Deal divided America into those who work for a living, and those who vote for a living."
--H. L. Mencken

The oldsters are part of the latter.

I wonder what the real numbers are...How many people actually work in the private sector, for a company that receives no government contracts or handouts, and make enough money to actually pay taxes (ie, aren't getting the EITC).

Brian4Liberty
07-13-2011, 10:43 AM

Ask him how we have enough money to give away to foreign dictators.

The Corporatocracy always gets paid first.

Dary
07-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Will he still get his check?

Carson
07-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Why do these @#$%$*! cut the money to people and the concept of cutting money to their entities never comes up?

Wouldn't one at least accidentally stumble on the idea of pulling out of a war or SIX?

Maybe de-fund some of their front organizations?

awake
07-13-2011, 05:54 PM
War is the the health of the state, it isn't going to give up its position of health.

parocks
07-13-2011, 06:02 PM
He knows that the media will tell it the Democrats way.

This time it will work. Obama really is smart when it comes to political tactics. Sucks he has to be such a statist warmongering nut.