PDA

View Full Version : Iowa 2012 GOP Presidential Power Rankings: The search continues

Patrick Henry
07-11-2011, 07:11 AM
http://iowaindependent.com/58300/iowa-2012-gop-presidential-power-rankings-the-search-continues

Ron Paul — While there has not been any news in the past two weeks that thrusts the Texas Congressman ahead of the pack, he likewise has not suffered from some of the negative reports that have happened to others. For that reason he remains a distant fourth to the top three, but is expected to rank in the top five on caucus night, barring any major problems.

“Paul has loyal supporters who will show up for the straw poll and caucuses, but he probably won’t bring in a lot more folks to his camp,” a panelist notes.

That being said, Paul does have a national topic on the current forefront of American politics that should help his name recognition and polling in the Hawkeye State. But are panelists are concerned because they don’t see Paul moving quickly enough to take advantage of such a potential national boost.

“Why doesn’t he have State Rep. Kim Pearson, a pro-life champion in the Iowa House, going 99 counties to talk about his pledge to veto any budget that includes Planned Parenthood funding? Why doesn’t he have his well-liked son, Sen. Rand Paul, essentially turning Iowa into his second home? Why doesn’t he have activists/authors like Thomas Woods holding townhalls and conferences in Iowa about the need to repeal Obamacare?” questioned one of our panelists.

Paul does return to the state this week, and his son will be campaigning on his behalf later in the month. If discussions about the debt ceiling and national finance continue to garner headlines, Paul could gain the polls.

sailingaway
07-11-2011, 07:53 AM
You beat me to it!

Yeah. Did you notice their numbering?

Esoteric
07-11-2011, 08:15 AM
errrr... bump

Koz
07-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Yeah, why isn't he doing those things? Come on doc.

hazek
07-11-2011, 09:09 AM

Because the official campaign is yet again dropping the ball, that's why.

Paul Or Nothing II
07-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Good one, pretty realistic assessment.

sailingaway
07-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Because the official campaign is yet again dropping the ball, that's why.

No, they are having Rand come out on a bus tour, etc. And he is right now making opposition to the debt ceiling a big issue.

KingRobbStark
07-11-2011, 09:31 AM
We have so many tools that can win us Iowa, but unfortunately we are leaving them to rust.

Billay
07-11-2011, 09:42 AM
The primary season usually doesn't kick off til after Labor day. It's good he's not using all his options early on.

WorldonaString
07-11-2011, 09:44 AM
I like the Thomas Woods suggestion. If that man is willing, let him run wild in Iowa!

sailingaway
07-11-2011, 09:47 AM
I like the Thomas Woods suggestion. If that man is willing, let him run wild in Iowa!

He is pretty snarky. He'd have to watch his ps and qs. But he could be great, if he wanted to be.

Shane Harris
07-11-2011, 10:47 AM
dead on. he COULD be surging, he has a lot going for him, including forced media coverage because of the economy and the fed and the debt ceiling and basically everything that he called, but he does not appear to be going all out like the other campaigns that raised similar amounts of cash, all of which dont have a sound consistent philosophy and impeccable voting record and personal life and an extremely popular son in the senate. ugh.. rand 2016 better be better than this

libertybrewcity
07-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Ron Paul wants to surge later on in the season. If you give all you have early on, you may peak early and never regain your polling numbers.

wormyguy
07-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Tom Woods couldn't be hired by the official campaign, too controversial a figure.

The rest of that I completely agree with.

Captain America
07-11-2011, 11:32 AM
“Why doesn’t he have State Rep. Kim Pearson, a pro-life champion in the Iowa House, going 99 counties to talk about his pledge to veto any budget that includes Planned Parenthood funding? Why doesn’t he have his well-liked son, Sen. Rand Paul, essentially turning Iowa into his second home? Why doesn’t he have activists/authors like Thomas Woods holding townhalls and conferences in Iowa about the need to repeal Obamacare?” questioned one of our panelists.

PLEASE! C4L and ronpaul2012

Sola_Fide
07-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Get Tom Woods to Iowa!

Tinnuhana
07-11-2011, 11:49 AM
I was just wondering what Bob Higgs could contribue if he's so inclined. Get him out there to talk about "Regime Uncertainty" with all the charts and graphs. Tom is good with the home school crowd, though. Just chill a little with the "snark".

trey4sports
07-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Ron Paul wants to surge later on in the season. If you give all you have early on, you may peak early and never regain your polling numbers.

BINGO!

Jesus, why is everyone saying Ron needs to be surging right now...?

Ron needs to surge a LOT later (think November), because why would he surge now? The primary isnt until January, and there is no reason to peak too early. If he waits 'till november or October to bring in Rand (on a semi-permanent basis) and do a media blitz he can peak at just the right time. However, make no mistake about it, if we don't win Iowa we are not going to be taken seriously.

sailingaway
07-11-2011, 12:09 PM

This is true. There is a subtext in all the Bachmann commentary about her surging too soon unless she can maintain it the whole way (with the implication being that she can't). She had a near flawless rollout (even getting attacked by liberal media fits the GOP rollout playbook) but she may have miscalculated. We'll see. In any event, it does make the straw poll more difficult.

sailingaway
07-11-2011, 12:10 PM
However, make no mistake about it, if we don't win Iowa we are not going to be taken seriously.

I agree with all you say except this. If he is near or at the top in New Hampshire he will be taken seriously. Iowa has been spun this year as only for the religious right federal mandate sort.

trey4sports
07-11-2011, 12:19 PM
I agree with all you say except this. If he is near or at the top in New Hampshire he will be taken seriously. Iowa has been spun this year as only for the religious right federal mandate sort.

If it were possible, then i'd agree with you. Mitt has NH locked up. I doubt anyone will get within 10 points of him. Even with the Ghoul jumping in. (possibly)

thehighwaymanq
07-11-2011, 05:01 PM
I think all those points are dead on. That's what we SHOULD be doing. The campaign is better than last time, but still needs to push more.

They aren't dropping the ball, but it's getting ready to be dropped soon unless they really go into over-drive.

White Bear Lake
07-11-2011, 09:21 PM
We need to win Iowa, get second in NH, win South Carolina, and then get second in Nevada. This should effectively knock out everyone but Mitt and us, and I like our chances in that fight. Getting there is the hard part. The campaign really needs to go all out in October through December. Rand should be making the rounds routinely. That is when we will begin to pop up though. Winning Ames is key though. Win that and everyone will begin to think we actually have a chance. Money should really begin to pour in then and we need that for our fall push.

NaturalMystic
07-11-2011, 09:31 PM
lurk (lûrk)
intr.v. lurked, lurk·ing, lurks
1. To lie in wait, as in ambush.
2. To move furtively; sneak.

But dont lose sight of the Prey!

Paul4Prez
07-11-2011, 09:37 PM
A "distant fourth"... "top five".... Just wait.

Paul4Prez
07-11-2011, 09:39 PM
We need to win Iowa, get second in NH, win South Carolina, and then get second in Nevada.

Unfortunately, Mitt is strongest in NH and NV where Ron Paul is strong, and so far we look pretty weak in SC. Beating Romney in Iowa would be huge, even if someone else gets first place. Maine and Wyoming also have early contests, and we should do well in both.

Badger Paul
07-11-2011, 11:08 PM
The campaign is putting a lot on Iowa. We have to do well here. Top three both in the straw poll and the caucus. That's what we have to shoot for and hope we can take Mitt down in New Hampshire and ride the momentum there,

civusamericanus
07-11-2011, 11:28 PM
No, they are having Rand come out on a bus tour, etc. And he is right now making opposition to the debt ceiling a big issue.
Of all people, Frank Luntz, brings to light the potential enormous impact Rand can have for the cause of Liberty. Rand needs to march side by side with his father all the way to the White House, I'm sure Ron Paul, trust his son Rand far more than any other politician or political strategist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC9Q7ufUsl4

07-12-2011, 12:01 AM

Kim Pearson and Glen Massey, from what I understand, are set to campaign for Ron at some point in the not-too-distant-future.

Eric21ND
07-12-2011, 05:30 AM
He is pretty snarky. He'd have to watch his ps and qs. But he could be great, if he wanted to be.
Thomas Woods isn't snarky. Mark Levin is snarky! Tom is such a great ambassador to the general public for our ideas, and he has the intellectual ammunition to back it up.

Eric21ND
07-12-2011, 05:32 AM
I hear this argument a lot. Hell I just want to peak just once!

Sola_Fide
07-12-2011, 05:35 AM
I know Tom reads RPF's every once in a while.

Tom, if you are reading this: PLEASE GET INVOLVED IN RON'S CAMPAIGN! WE NEED YOU MAN!

Eric21ND
07-12-2011, 05:36 AM
BINGO!
However, make no mistake about it, if we don't win Iowa we are not going to be taken seriously.

This is true. Our campaign lives or dies in Iowa. I'm not even sure 2nd place would sustain us to continue into the next primary states.

Eric21ND
07-12-2011, 05:44 AM
The campaign is putting a lot on Iowa. We have to do well here. Top three both in the straw poll and the caucus. That's what we have to shoot for and hope we can take Mitt down in New Hampshire and ride the momentum there,
If we pull off a win at Ames and then the caucuses, we could build on the momentum no doubt and frame the primary as a Ron Paul vs. establishment Mitt Romney battle. Just how Rand won the primary in Kentucky. Plus if we win, look for Romney to get hit hard by attack ads from outside PACs and groups. I think he'd get hammered.