PDA

View Full Version : "Operation: Call Iowa" Phone banking PARTICIPATION BOMB July 15-22

07-11-2011, 12:17 AM
Operation: Call Iowa
Grassroots Phone Banking Bomb - Friday, July 15th through Friday, July 22nd
Facebook Event Link (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=241833685834687&m_sess=z87W-cXhDcLT9)

What? A grassroots participation event in coordination with the Ron Paul campaign that will focus on calling Iowans this next week, with a target of each participant calling at least 200 phone numbers or more. The goal is twofold: to both identify Ron Paul supporters for the Ames Straw Poll, and to introduce other voters to Ron Paul's positive message of liberty.
When? Friday, July 15th through Friday, July 22nd
Who? You! All of us! The grassroots Ron Paul activists who want to help the campaign in a big way for very little money.
Why? Because the Iowa campaign has made phone banking a priority, and we need to do everything we can to help identify Ron Paul supporters before the Ames Straw Poll.
How? Read on...

How to Participate
First, take note that if you are going to participate in this bomb, you are going to be volunteering for the campaign. We will be using the campaign's lists and registering with the campaign to do this. If you are using rp2012 already then you may continue to do so. However, this participation bomb is intended to help the campaign's official effort, for now. As long as there is unfinished work on that front, it is a good idea for us to help them finish it!

Step 1: Get an Iowa Area Code
The first thing you will need is an Iowa area code (preferably, 515). The campaign has confirmed that having a Des Moines, Iowa area code (515) results in a much higher response rate than an out-of-state area code. Here are a few options:

Option 1: Get a prepaid phone and register it with the ZIP code 50021. This is the ZIP for Ankeny, which is where the Ron Paul Iowa campaign office is. A few providers you could try are Virgin Mobile, Trac Fone, Boost Mobile, Net 10, and there are others. Go to Walmart, Target, or any similar kind of store and ask for "pre-paid phones." The phone will probably set you back about 20 or 30 dollars but may be cheaper, and may even come with minutes. If you do this option, you will need a prepaid phone card from that company. This is all pretty easy and self-explanatory, and will be the easiest to use once you set it up.

Option 2: Google Voice. Go here: http://www.google.com/voice. Basically, you will want to set it up with a 515 area code which is the Des Moines area. If you have an Android phone or iPhone, you can download the Google Voice app and use it that way to call via your own cell phone.

Other Options: Skype may be a possibility, but I am unfamiliar with Skype. I will fill this in as a third option if someone can explain how picking a 515 area code would work in Skype, or where to go to do that. There may also be other voice-over-ip solutions available. However, it seems that options 1 and 2 are the easiest. I got an AT&T GoPhone, which only charges 2 dollars per day no matter how many calls you make that day. It is a good option for what we are doing; the one I got cost $40 and included 15 dollars (or 7 1/2 days worth) of credit.

Step 2: Contact the Ron Paul Iowa Office
Steve Bierfeldt represents the campaign in Iowa, and for our purposes he is the interface between the grassroots and the campaign for volunteers there. You'll need to send to get set up with him to actually get a list and call on behalf of the official campaign.
First: You will need to e-mail Steve Bierfeldt at steve@ronpaul2012.com.

Put "volunteer phone banking" or something similar in the subject line. Simply put in your message that you would like to get a list of at least 200 phone numbers from the campaign, that you are out of state but that you have obtained a Des Moines area code phone number, and include the phone number. He will probably give you a list of 200 to start; this is plenty at first. You can ask for more later.
Second: Wait for an e-mail response from Steve. He may ask you to call him, or he may give you a call. All he needs to do is make sure that you have the local number and confirm your involvement.
Third: Steve will e-mail you a list that you can then use to call Iowans. He will also e-mail you instructions on how to call, and how to record your results!

Step 3: Call at least 200 numbers
Now the fun part: time to call people on behalf of Ron Paul. Following the instructions that Steve Bierfeldt gives you about how to call Iowa voters, go through the list and get it done!

When to call: The best time to call people on weekdays is late afternoon/early evenings from 4-7pm. Please, do not call after 8pm on weekdays, as people do not like being called late. During the weekend the best time to call is Saturday afternoon and late morning, perhaps 11am-6pm, and Sunday afternoon after noon, say 12pm-6pm.
How to act: Please be courteous yet responsive. Remember that we are doing this to positively represent Ron Paul and therefore do not want to get combative with anyone we speak with. REMEMBER: If someone does not support Ron Paul now, you do not want your actions to prevent them from supporting him later! If someonedoes support Dr. Paul, make sure you are appreciative.

The entire time of your phone call, speak in a soft, conversational tone. Do not do "the hard sell," do not be aggressive, do not be nervous! You're doing a great service to liberty, so be confident but courteous.

Step 4: Beyond 200 numbers
Once you call 200 numbers, go for more! Then it is time to e-mail Steve Bierfeldt and ask for another list, and return him your results.

The more you call, the greater your service to Ron Paul. You have all next week, so do the best you can! And remember, have fun.

Post your results here when you are done, and update on your progress!

Where can I sign up?
Post in this thread that you will be participating, then follow the steps as outlined. Steve Bierfeldt has graciously agreed to assist in this effort, and will help you during the necessary steps. Good luck!

For Ron Paul! For liberty!

PROGRESS UPDATES

Coming soon...

VoluntaryAmerican
07-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Let's give Liberty a voice.

I'm in.

Paulistinian
07-11-2011, 12:28 PM
I emailed steve, I'm in. I can talk about Ron Paul all day.

07-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks guys! Bump

07-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Bump.

thehighwaymanq
07-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Bump.

Paulistinian
07-11-2011, 07:55 PM
I have created my google voice, Iowa phone number and Steve replied to my email. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a list of Iowans to call!

07-11-2011, 08:06 PM
I have created my google voice, Iowa phone number and Steve replied to my email. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a list of Iowans to call!

Awesome! Thanks for getting on board

07-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Bump

thehighwaymanq
07-11-2011, 11:43 PM
BUMP!

This needs to be huge. Phone-banking (through the campaign) and donations are the 2 most important things a Ron Paul supporter can do right now. We have the money-bomb next week, and this coincides perfectly.

Bergie Bergeron
07-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Start a Facebook event and people will share it. Easy way to spread this !

thehighwaymanq
07-11-2011, 11:52 PM

I got it! Doing it now...

LibertyEagle
07-12-2011, 12:01 AM

Make sure that it isn't being shared with our competition. It wouldn't exactly be great to be handing our contact lists to them.

thehighwaymanq
07-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Make sure that it isn't being shared with our competition. It wouldn't exactly be great to be handing our contact lists to them.

What do you mean? The participants will have to email Steve to get our lists so nothing will be public.

Here's the page- is this ok?

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=228691837162128

Bergie Bergeron
07-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Make it private, meaning only people who get invited are able to see the page (but will that allow members to go on the page and invite people themselves?)

Billay
07-12-2011, 12:07 AM
If we can get 500 volunteers to get 10 people we win easily.

thehighwaymanq
07-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Make it private, meaning only people who get invited are able to see the page (but will that allow members to go on the page and invite people themselves?)

Ok. I made it private, but people who are invited can invite people themselves. It keeps it within the movement if people don't just invite everyone in their friends list. I invited about 80 people I know were RP supporters.

LibertyEagle
07-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Guys, don't you think at least you should be talking about this in an area of the forum that everyone and their dog cannot see? Even non-members can view this thread. Not to mention the fact that every thread title in Grassroots Central is being tweeted.

Bergie Bergeron
07-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Pretty sure the competition has members going through everything in the members only area.

Bergie Bergeron
07-12-2011, 05:44 AM
bump

rp08orbust
07-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Phonebanking is a lot easier when the numbers you're calling are those of people who already support Ron Paul. Help the campaign get new ones by donating to the robopolling: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?302770-Iowa-Robopoll-Report-7-11-2011-Most-successful-yet!

Bergie Bergeron
07-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Uh guys? This is the most important thing you can do, let's keep this bumped.

thehighwaymanq
07-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Bump!

Bergie Bergeron
07-12-2011, 10:02 AM
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=241833685834687

Magicman
07-12-2011, 06:38 PM
I made a Facebook event invite for this, please join here:

Also on the event options post this code so we'll get a lot more people to join:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmBgGDoX7G0

Billay
07-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Bump

QueenB4Liberty
07-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Ok I just got an Iowa number on google voice. Is that free? And it says I can use google voice or my mobile phone, but if I use my mobile phone then it won't be an IA area code, correct? I'm in TX. Now to email Steve.

QueenB4Liberty
07-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Ok so it's free to call using google voice, but if I'm using google voice and it sounds bad on the computer, it gives you an option to dial from your cell phone too...does that cost money? Does anyone know?

trey4sports
07-12-2011, 07:57 PM
yes, its free, and im not sure if you can use your cell as a proxy, dont think so. You do have to enter your cell # if you get the upgraded google account.

Whatever you do, don't call from an out-of-state number.

Ok I just got an Iowa number on google voice. Is that free? And it says I can use google voice or my mobile phone, but if I use my mobile phone then it won't be an IA area code, correct? I'm in TX. Now to email Steve.

QueenB4Liberty
07-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Well I called my fiance on my cell phone using google voice and he says the Iowa number came up on his caller ID. I just want to know if it will charge my cell phone bill. lol The sound quality is terrible on my computer, or so he says.

Bergie Bergeron
07-12-2011, 09:46 PM
That won't help much if people can't even hear who's calling them.

FriedChicken
07-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Here is a thread I started explaining the ways to get setup through google voice: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?302625-How-to-get-started-making-phone-calls-to-Iowa (I mention the .org in that thread ... please get over it and lets work together instead of bickering)

If you have a cell phone with unlimited internet/data than you don't have to use minutes to call without a computer.

If the sound quality is bad with your computer then add your google number to your friends and family list, that way all your Iowa calls won't cost minutes.

Calling through your computer with gmail and google voice is 100% free, sometimes it has bad sound quality though if the server is busy.

Calling through google voice with your phone will cost minutes - if you have free weekends burn 'em up! If your phone has internet than you can make the calls from your phone but through the internet so they won't cost minutes. See what I said above about adding your google number to your friends and family list.

Lets do this. Every single person making calls makes a significant difference. Even if you can't make a lot of phone calls every little bit helps. Forward your list to someone else if you can't complete it yourself if you have to.

Fun fact: easy way to double your efforts is to personally convince a fellow [inactive] supporter to join you in making calls.
You can also make a note of the most enthusiastic supporters you contact and send them an email explaining how to volunteer with the official campaign and the need for them to bring more people the poll as well.

sailingaway
07-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Use the campaign voice bank, it is up and running and the campaign can use the data for gotv, this data goes into a black hole, from what the campaign says.

Billay
07-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Sailing can I get a link to what you're talking about?

Koz
07-13-2011, 05:44 AM
I'm in, got my first list from Steve yesterday. I am going to send this to people in my meetup group.

-Koz

07-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Bump

Koz
07-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Here is a thread I started explaining the ways to get setup through google voice: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?302625-How-to-get-started-making-phone-calls-to-Iowa (I mention the .org in that thread ... please get over it and lets work together instead of bickering)

If you have a cell phone with unlimited internet/data than you don't have to use minutes to call without a computer.

If the sound quality is bad with your computer then add your google number to your friends and family list, that way all your Iowa calls won't cost minutes.

Calling through your computer with gmail and google voice is 100% free, sometimes it has bad sound quality though if the server is busy.

Calling through google voice with your phone will cost minutes - if you have free weekends burn 'em up! If your phone has internet than you can make the calls from your phone but through the internet so they won't cost minutes. See what I said above about adding your google number to your friends and family list.

Lets do this. Every single person making calls makes a significant difference. Even if you can't make a lot of phone calls every little bit helps. Forward your list to someone else if you can't complete it yourself if you have to.

Fun fact: easy way to double your efforts is to personally convince a fellow [inactive] supporter to join you in making calls.
You can also make a note of the most enthusiastic supporters you contact and send them an email explaining how to volunteer with the official campaign and the need for them to bring more people the poll as well.

OK, I downloaded the Google Voice App for my Android phone and I can call from my phone using my google voice number (515 area code). I was not able to do it any other way. Apparently FriedChicken is trying to figure out another way (Google Voice does have another way listed on thier site, but I nor FriedChicken could get it to work) to be able to use Google Voice from your phone if you do not have a smartphone. I will say it is really easy with the app.

07-13-2011, 12:26 PM
OK, I downloaded the Google Voice App for my Android phone and I can call from my phone using my google voice number (515 area code). I was not able to do it any other way. Apparently FriedChicken is trying to figure out another way (Google Voice does have another way listed on thier site, but I nor FriedChicken could get it to work) to be able to use Google Voice from your phone if you do not have a smartphone. I will say it is really easy with the app.

GREAT idea. I will put it on the top of the thread.

thehighwaymanq
07-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Bump!

Koz
07-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Bump! Can we get an admin to make this a sticky?

sailingaway
07-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Sailing can I get a link to what you're talking about?

http://iowaforronpaul.com/get-involved.php scroll down. It still says 'Iowans' but they are letting us sign up too, and they call and send us lists and instructions.

Bergie Bergeron
07-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Facebook event, invite your Ron Paul friends.

Koz
07-13-2011, 05:02 PM

Facebook event, invite your Ron Paul friends.

Inviting, we need to get thousands making calls.

Bergie Bergeron
07-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Starts TOMORROW. As an admin of the event, I'll be sending a friendly reminder to those attending and maybe attending about that.

Bergie Bergeron
07-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Today.

thehighwaymanq
07-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Today.

Bergie please send out a message with the right information regarding how to do this, and NOT to go through rp2012.

We need to have the people that do this listen to the campaign!

Bergie Bergeron
07-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Message has been sent at 1am. Didn't talk about rp2012.org but clearly stated to look in the event description to know exactly what to do.

Also plugged in the moneybomb at the end :)

07-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Message has been sent at 1am. Didn't talk about rp2012.org but clearly stated to look in the event description to know exactly what to do.

Also plugged in the moneybomb at the end :)

Well done. Thanks for you help.

07-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Please post whether or not you have hit your goals.

Edited: specific numbers maybe not a good idea

VoluntaryAmerican
07-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Bump.

sailingaway
07-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Please post your progress in this thread! How many you have called, how many supporters you have identified, etc.

Please don't post supporters id'd or those going to Ames in any organized way. If you want to mention a specific interchange, that's different. But we don't want to give THAT much information to other campaigns....

thehighwaymanq
07-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Please post your progress in this thread! How many you have called, how many supporters you have identified, etc.

We need to keep a running RPF total of calls made!

sailingaway
07-15-2011, 11:59 PM
We need to keep a running RPF total of calls made!

I wouldn't.

FriedChicken
07-16-2011, 12:08 AM

haha, my phone is one of them old fashioned flip phones ... I can't even text.

VoluntaryAmerican
07-17-2011, 09:03 PM
I just got an email from the campaign. I am going to call them tomorrow to verify my phone number and talk about specifcs.

sailingaway
07-17-2011, 11:54 PM
haha, my phone is one of them old fashioned flip phones ... I can't even text.

You can do it by going through your computer. you go into google voice, then at the upper left there is a thing to click for 'call'. Click it and a little drop down thing comes in and you type the number in there, and you set the other drop down in there to 'mobile' and your computer calls your mobile and when you answer it, you hear ringing at the other end.

That is all after you set up your phone with google voice. google voice then calls you to double check it is working Then you do what I said.

I had trouble figuring it out too, but I'm just not sure what part you are stuck at.

The app kept quitting on me, so I ended up using the computer way instead. But I have an iphone, the android app might be better.