PDA

View Full Version : The Cottage Food Law

2young2vote
07-10-2011, 08:44 PM
I just recently found out about a law passed in 2010 which allows the production of certain food products in your home/unlicensed kitchen. Basically, it allows you to make and sell some foods like bread and cookies in your home kitchen. You can sell (up to $15,000 per year) them at farmers markets and your home as long as they are labeled correctly. I think this is a great step forward in giving people the ability to start their own small business to make some extra cash on the side.

Here is a simple summary: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mda/MDA-CFFAQ-MASTER_327558_7.pdf

I just wish ice cream production was allowed. Unfortunately it is considered a hazardous food because it is a dairy product :(. Ice cream is one of the least hazardous foods I can imagine. A. Mold wont grow on it. B. If it gets to a dangerous temperature the product is ruined and can't be sold anyways.

Anyways, I thought you guys might be interested in this.

Dianne
07-30-2011, 09:57 AM
I was just looking at this and noticed my state of NC has a cottage food law in force. However, you still have to go through the N.C. Department of Agriculture, have inspections, can't have any pets; and that is for the low risk foods; i.e., baked goods. Then of course, you have to name your business, file an assumed name, get your NC Dept. of Revenue number so you can collect sales tax for them, have sample of your baked goods sent off for testing. Just a big ole pain in the A .

UtahApocalypse
07-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Bought some homemade Oatmeal Butterscotch cookies just last week at the Framer's Market. They beat any store bought cookie to pieces.