PDA

View Full Version : SPLIT: Grassroots TV Ads Q&A'

svobody
06-27-2011, 01:57 PM
I think 60 seconds is the way to go, for sure... I think something like this would be attention catching:

You might have noticed:
When you go grocery shopping, you're paying twice what you used to pay
When you go to put gas in your car, you're paying twice what you used to pay
The unemployment rate? Yep... twice what it used to be
But how do we fix this?
The government needs to do half as much.
Ron Paul understands that prosperity comes from the people, not the government.
Ron Paul understands that peace, not war, is good for the economy.
Ron Paul understands that rising prices are wiping out the savings of our seniors.
Ron Paul understands that WE can spend our money smarter than federal government.
Ron Paul predicted the economic crisis, and now? He wants a chance to get America working again.
President Ron Paul will put America back on the path to greatness - and twice as fast.

But just spitballing

Napoleon's Shadow
06-27-2011, 02:11 PM
How about funding the Iowa Projects found in my signature?

AdamT
06-27-2011, 02:24 PM
How about funding the Iowa Projects found in my signature?

Absolutely. We won't be ready for until at least early August. If they want those projects topped off they need to promo the hell out of them. Put in on the homepage of their website, have a special moneybomb just for those. Send out emails, FB, Twitter you name it.

http://iowaforronpaul.com/projects.php

I don't see TV ads on their Iowa list.

Napoleon's Shadow
06-27-2011, 02:37 PM
I don't see TV ads on their Iowa list.Maybe there is a reason for that?

Rfalcon51
06-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Do they have numbers on how many Iowa viewers watch these programs on average?

BucksforPaul
06-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Can anyone else read the sheet I linked?

2k to run 60 sec on Face the Nation.
800 to run M-F on the morning news per 60 sec AD
1000 to run during Oprah
3k to run during CBS Evening News
250 to run during Chris Mathews LOL
800 to run during David Letterman
3800 to run during 60 Minutes

and there's a boat load more.... check it out -

Great job on taking the initiative on this by you and others. Are these prices just for Iowa or nationally?

AdamT
06-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Great job on taking the initiative on this by you and others. Are these prices just for Iowa or nationally?

Iowa only.

sailingaway
06-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Isn't this the campaign's role?

Maybe I'm missing something.

Are you intending to make a basic Ron Paul ad and airing it on 60 Minutes in Iowa?

Where is the official campaign in this?

I don't see any description of what exactly the campaign's role is on this.

Is it
1) Make Commercial
2) Campaign approves commercial
3) Chip in to pay for commercial

This could work out really really well, or it could be a bit of a mess or a headache.

Making TV Commercials, and putting them in a digital format that tv stations can use
is a worthwhile endeavor. Some of those tv commercials could go viral and whatnot, adding to the Ron Paul buzz.
Perhaps the campaign will want you to air these commercials on 60 Minutes. Perhaps they'll want to work with the creator of
the commercial to make it just right? Perhaps they love it as it is. Either way, making good TV commercials is a good idea.

My worry is that unapproved messaging would appear on 60 Minutes in Iowa.

You can't coordinate with the campaign or it counts towards the donation cap. So you disclaim it. American Crossroads and all those other groups are independent of the campaigns as well. Adam is going to show it to us to get donations to air it I suspect, so I wouldn't worry too much. How bad is High Tide? How bad is 'For Liberty'? They have a good track record.
In fact, they just posted the new recut version of For Liberty. You should watch it.

king_nothing_
06-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Do they have numbers on how many Iowa viewers watch these programs on average?
The quoted prices most likely directly correlate with the viewership numbers.

speciallyblend
06-28-2011, 08:05 AM
We are grassroots. Were you around during the last campaign? Do you think we got "permission" from the official campaign before we flew the blimp, made signs, had marches, raised money, etc. etc.? And anyway, we are legally prohibited from collaborating with the campaign on this. However, assuming we successfully execute this idea, the campaign will be informed of it beforehand and their opinion will carry weight. But remember, Dr. Paul loves this aspect of his supporters. He loves that we do these kinds of things of our own volition.

tv'in , instead of blimpin;) woot woot

Deborah K
06-28-2011, 08:14 AM
tv'in , instead of blimpin;) woot woot

Yeppers. As I've stated before, the blimp is a 'been there-done that' project. It's time for a new strategy. However, since I am for free choice, if someone wants to donate to the blimp, and I can't persuade them to invest in a TV AD campaign, then more power to them. We all should invest in this campaign in any way we believe gives Dr. Paul the best exposure.

Napoleon's Shadow
06-28-2011, 09:05 AM
those who want to fund those will, it looks like these guys want to do grassroots vids so lets let em at it!!!!!
Is it possible that the official campaign knows that TV ads are either ineffective in this situation which is why they are not asking for funding for them? Or maybe they already have some planned but don't want to tell anyone? I dunno, who knows, but I'm sure there is a reason they're not soliciting funds for ads on the Iowa Donation page.

Deborah K
06-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Is it possible that the official campaign knows that TV ads are either ineffective in this situation which is why they are not asking for funding for them? Or maybe they already have some planned but don't want to tell anyone? I dunno, who knows, but I'm sure there is a reason they're not soliciting funds for ads on the Iowa Donation page.

As was noted on the previous thread about this, apparently the campaign believes that direct mailing and door knocking are more cost effective. Those of us who wish to do commercials, while we may agree that dm and dk are effective, we also strongly believe in media advertising as the best way to get Ron's message and name out to a wider spectrum of voters. Every successful campaign has used the media to get their message out.

Deborah K
06-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Chris and I discussed where the focus of the commericials should be and we concluded that they should be concentrated within a hundred mile radius of Ames since it is more likely that people who live within that range will be the ones who will make to drive to vote.

sailingaway
06-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Chris and I discussed where the focus of the commericials should be and we concluded that they should be concentrated within a hundred mile radius of Ames since it is more likely that people who live within that range will be the ones who will make to drive to vote.

Well, I'd argue about that except that those who would drive further won't have their minds changed by general 'feel good' ads to inspire that. Our guy needs to be researched. I was not impressed with Ron from his issues page last time nor am I this time. He doesn't present well sliced up like that. You have to present his wholistic constitutional philosophy and say he is absolutely consistent and has been regardless of how the pendulum swings and then just show the 'issues' as examples of how he adheres to this. That he can be predicted in situations not here today because of his integrity and consistency is HUGE and it does not come through at all on his web page nor in literature.

And it is the REASON his supporters don't peel off when someone else starts mouthing Ron's positions. We know his record and he is the only one with that record. There HAS to be a way of trading off of it, it is why he is so spectacular, and if others don't know that, why should they pick our guy over another?

Deborah K
06-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Well, I'd argue about that except that those who would drive further won't have their minds changed by general 'feel good' ads to inspire that. Our guy needs to be researched. I was not impressed with Ron from his issues page last time nor am I this time. He doesn't present well sliced up like that. You have to present his wholistic constitutional philosophy and say he is absolutely consistent and has been regardless of how the pendulum swings and then just show the 'issues' as examples of how he adheres to this. That he can be predicted in situations not here today because of his integrity and consistency is HUGE and it does not come through at all on his web page nor in literature.

And it is the REASON his supporters don't peel off when someone else starts mouthing Ron's positions. We know his record and he is the only one with that record. There HAS to be a way of trading off of it, it is why he is so spectacular, and if others don't know that, why should they pick our guy over another?

I guess I'm missing your point. You'd argue about our conclusion to run ads within reasonable driving distance, and you seemingly don't like the idea of 'feel good' ads. And yet you are dissatisfied with how the campaign is portraying his message on the campaign site and feel that he needs to be researched? IMO, giving his message exposure on the airways just might cause those who see it to want to research him further.

sailingaway
06-28-2011, 10:41 AM
I guess I'm missing your point. You'd argue about our conclusion to run ads within reasonable driving distance, and you seemingly don't like the idea of 'feel good' ads. And yet you are dissatisfied with how the campaign is portraying his message on the campaign site and feel that he needs to be researched? IMO, giving his message exposure on the airways just might cause those who see it to want to research him further.

Nah, I'm fine with the ads. I'm thrilled this crew is taking this on. If nothing else they should help his favorables long before the campaign starts to work on that and that is a big part of getting people to take a second look. Also, it nudges people gently who are more likely to be going just because they are close.

I was just expressing a message I think needs to be gotten across to really show why Ron is the one we need, despite being 75 and not a speaker from central casting. Ultimately we have to get that out to voters.

I'm not ragging on how the issues are presented at the web page either, they need an issues page. I'm just trying to brainstorm how we get out to people what is really attractive about him, which is the reason none of us are flocking to candidates stealing his lines.

Deborah K
06-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Nah, I'm fine with the ads. I'm thrilled this crew is taking this on. If nothing else they should help his favorables long before the campaign starts to work on that and that is a big part of getting people to take a second look. Also, it nudges people gently who are more likely to be going just because they are close.

I was just expressing a message I think needs to be gotten across to really show why Ron is the one we need, despite being 75 and not a speaker from central casting. Ultimately we have to get that out to voters.

I'm not ragging on how the issues are presented at the web page either, they need an issues page. I'm just trying to brainstorm how we get out to people what is really attractive about him, which is the reason none of us are flocking to candidates stealing his lines.

Well what you wrote in your previous post are points that can easily be made in a 60 second video, if it's done right.

trey4sports
06-28-2011, 10:11 PM

I remember Steve saying something in chat about direct-mail bringing in more votes per $$ and that TV ads weren't all that cost-efficient.

Deborah K
06-29-2011, 09:02 AM

If they already have them planned and don't want to say anything, then Ames and its surrounding areas will get a very nice education on and exposure to Ron Paul. And if voters see ads from not only his campaign, but his grassroots - ahhhhh - that would be awesome! Unplanned, spontaneous order!

rbohlig
06-29-2011, 01:30 PM
5. Find a "sugar daddy" to fund the effort... or, thanks the the Supreme Courts ruling, a corporation. This might get things off to a quicker start. I don't know of any candidates for this... perhaps someone else does.

Has anybody from the campaign tried reaching out to Patrick Byrne (CEO of overstock.com) yet?

I remember the interview on fox business where he unequivocally voiced his support for Ron Paul as the only sensible candidate.

It would be great to get some $$ from this or to make further inroads to possible corporations with far more money to give than us peasants. Especially with tax reform a high probability if the GOP wins.

sailingaway
06-29-2011, 01:31 PM
He has likely maxed out as he said he did last time, so the CAMPAIGN can't reach out to him. Uncoordinated efforts could, however.

Billay
06-30-2011, 12:15 AM
What markets will these commericals be shown in? Other than Ames?

rockandrollsouls
07-03-2011, 11:36 AM
So, what's the latest?

Are you guys working with or taking advice from the guy specializing in media who posted in the other thread with stats/etc?

Deborah K
07-04-2011, 10:49 AM
So, what's the latest?

Are you guys working with or taking advice from the guy specializing in media who posted in the other thread with stats/etc?

If you mean RonPaul NYC HQ, then yep!

KingRobbStark
07-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Why don't we do the attacking instead of Ron Paul?

Canderson
07-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Why don't we do the attacking instead of Ron Paul?

what im trying to do, starting with my facebook page

Deborah K
07-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Please don't do or write or say anything that would reflect badly on Ron? As his most dedicated and staunch supporters, we are his ambassadors.

IndianaPolitico
07-09-2011, 01:03 PM
How is the planning going? Have we decided on the first ad to run?

yoshimaroka
07-09-2011, 02:53 PM
You could just have Ron Paul reading his statement of faith and it would work. Some of these counties in Iowa went heavily to Huckabee in 2008, 40-60% of the vote!

If you want to be effective, that's probably the best approach.

What are the costs to run these ads? Have they been met?

parocks
07-09-2011, 04:18 PM
How much does ABC 5 cost for their Saturday afternoon 12noon - 3pm - half hour blocks. For Saturday August 13.

An infomercial! That's an interesting idea.

KingRobbStark
07-10-2011, 08:55 AM
How are we going to gather the money? Are we going to have a special money bomb for this kind of thing?

Carehn
07-10-2011, 09:15 AM
I like the google ads thing i seen but i don't have time to read all 26 pages of this thread. Cans someone tell me what kind of laws we would be braking if any, if we ran pro paul ads on tv. Would the money have to be added to donations? would it have to leave out "vote for" in it? Like the blimp you know? seems like a guy could get himself in some deep water if you ran the wrong ad.

Deborah K
07-10-2011, 10:24 AM
How are we going to gather the money? Are we going to have a special money bomb for this kind of thing?

When the ad is finished, we'll present it and start fundraising for it.

Tarzan
07-10-2011, 12:29 PM
When the ad is finished, we'll present it and start fundraising for it.

Is the ad concept finished and in production?
Should we stop submitting additional ideas?
thanks!

Deborah K
07-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Is the ad concept finished and in production?
Should we stop submitting additional ideas?
thanks!

No to both questions. The script is not finalized, and we are still looking at voiceover and music. Visual is in progress. All ideas are needed and welcomed since the plan is to have a series of Ads.