PDA

View Full Version : Restrooms provided by Businesses

ivflight
07-10-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm wondering if there are laws concerning restrooms in environments like bars and restaurants. I'm interested in answers to such questions as:

Does the business have to provide restrooms?
Do they have to be genderized?
Can the business prohibit the public from using their restrooms?
Can the business prohibit certain customers from using their restrooms?
Can the business charge for use of their restroom?

Would kind of thing be set at the federal/state/local level? I did a bit of googling and mostly ended up with discussion about building/plumbing codes. I live in IL.

I got interested in this after I had some food/drinks in the patio area of a club, then when I tried to go inside to use their restroom they either wanted me to leave my driver's license with the bouncer, or pay a cover charge (I refused to do either). I probably just won't go back there, but I'm curious where the law would have stood if I just walked right by the bouncer to use the restroom, and/or if they physically kept me from accessing the restroom.

acptulsa
07-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Local. Here restaurants must provide restrooms, and there was an interesting kerfluffle about van-based kitchens and pushcart hot dog stands many years ago.

That said, the businesses in this city tend to be pretty easy about it. So, I think local custom has more than a little to do with it as well. But there's no federal law that I know of about it, except in terms of gallons per flush and crap like that. Yet.

muzzled dogg
07-10-2011, 06:59 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,513100,00.html

kah13176
07-10-2011, 07:16 PM
I've seen signs in many stores that say "Restrooms are for Employees Only".