PDA

View Full Version : FYI.. Concerning Ames Iowa 2011

reduen
07-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Ok, I posted the first message below earlier in another thread:

So, I just got off of the phone with I very nice lady (who just happens to also be a fellow Razorback) named Marian and the word from her for now is that they are encouraging people from out of state to be there again this time. She said that she thought that they were also looking for volunteers to take on specific tasks.

To be fair and not jump the gun, she also gave me the number to contact the Iowa folks directly and see what they have to say about it.

Update:

I just got off of the phone with Ron Paul's man in Iowa (Steve B) and he had a different message. He said that he is encouraging people from out of state not to make the trip to Ames this year as they believe that they are positioned to handle things locally. He also stated that he would rather everyone that was planning on making the trip, save the gas money and donate it to the campaign there so that they can do a better job.

I have to say that I am a bit disappointed about this because I had such a great time in 07. My son and I were really excited about going to this again. I guess that I will once again let the campaign take the lead here hoping that they can handle things on their own and that they do know what is best…

mit26chell
07-07-2011, 06:59 PM
If you and your son had a great time and were looking forward to it, why don't you still make the trip?

reduen
07-07-2011, 07:07 PM
I try not to dwell in places that I am not wanted too often and I am trying to show the official campaign a bit of respect. I won't lie to you though I am not now as excited about things as I have been...

LibertyEagle
07-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Several of us tried to tell you in your other thread.

muzzled dogg
07-07-2011, 07:14 PM
^this

asurfaholic
07-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Reduen - Make the trip bro....

Billay
07-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Dude this really sucks! I wanted to go to Iowa this year too. How does people coming from out of state hurt more than help? The saving gas and donating to us instead sounds like some sort of pitch the church uses for money.

GunnyFreedom
07-07-2011, 08:30 PM
If you don't have the tall corn in your voice, Iowans are more likely to be driven away than brought forward. No matter how good kind professional and friendly you are. Sad fact. This is one area where locals are best, not because of you or Steve B, but because of Iowa. I had the same concern in 2007, actually. Looks like we are really in it to win it ths time!

Bruno
07-07-2011, 08:33 PM
If you don't have the all corn in your voice, Iowans are more likely to be driven away than brought forward. No matter how good kind professional and friendly you are. Sad fact. This is one area where locals are best, not because of you or S“The neo�“conservatives think if you don’t support the wars that you are some type of isolationist,” he said. "Actually, it’s the very opposite. The Founders said, ‘Don’t get involved in entangling alliances.’ Let me tell you: NATO is an entangling alliance.”teve B, but because of Iowa. I had the same concern in 2007, actually. Looks like we are really in it to win it ths time!

As an Iowan, i agree.

LibertyEagle
07-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Dude this really sucks! I wanted to go to Iowa this year too. How does people coming from out of state hurt more than help? The saving gas and donating to us instead sounds like some sort of pitch the church uses for money.

No. Did you see the projects they are trying to do in Iowa? It takes money to do these things. Such as Operation Mail Drop, which is one of the many Iowa projects that are unfunded. Can you imagine how much it would help to directly target voting Republicans with specific direct mail? This is extremely important. Much more than us going and cheering Ron on.
http://www.iowaforronpaul.com/projects.php

They are also looking for help in phoning people. If you want to do that, then just signup on that site and Steve will contact you.

GunnyFreedom
07-07-2011, 08:39 PM
As an Iowan, i agree.

ayup, "all politics is local"

specsaregood
07-07-2011, 08:55 PM
//

AJ187
07-07-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm 20 minutes away from the Iowa border. I plan on going and donating whenever I can. I think the festivities will be a once and lifetime thing for me. Plus I can help convince friends and family to vote.

GunnyFreedom
07-07-2011, 09:24 PM
LOL, my wife is always making fun of me saying I speak like a "corn-eater" and how I hear some words like I have "corn in my ears". And did happen to spend some formative years in IA.

I'm 20 minutes away from the Iowa border. I plan on going and donating whenever I can. I think the festivities will be a once and lifetime thing for me. Plus I can help convince friends and family to vote.

Now you two could probably get away with it then. ;)

Thargok
07-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Last election there was a ton of buzz about the Ron Paul army that showed up, but it really hurt the movement when we got 5th place despite having the most people there. Also CPAC shows just how childish and immature some of the people in this movement can be, so I totally agree with this plan of action.

RileyE104
07-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Just send the money to the campaign at http://www.IowaForRonPaul.com/projects and then go out and campaign in your own area. That's what I'll be doing.

Billay
07-07-2011, 11:02 PM
No. Did you see the projects they are trying to do in Iowa? It takes money to do these things. Such as Operation Mail Drop, which is one of the many Iowa projects that are unfunded. Can you imagine how much it would help to directly target voting Republicans with specific direct mail? This is extremely important. Much more than us going and cheering Ron on.

They are also looking for help in phoning people. If you want to do that, then just signup on that site and Steve will contact you.

Cool. Signup on the Iowa projects site? I signed up to vounteer on the main Ron Paul website but never heard anything.

LibertyEagle
07-08-2011, 04:23 AM
Cool. Signup on the Iowa projects site?

I signed up to vounteer on the main Ron Paul website but never heard anything.

Yes. Sign up on the Iowa site. http://www.iowaforronpaul.com/get-involved.php

:)

Paul Or Nothing II
07-08-2011, 04:40 AM

^^

I don't know why anyone would want to waste money on going there, just donate whatever you'll've spent on the trip to the campaign instead

MelissaWV
07-08-2011, 04:45 AM
If you really, really want to go there, already had plans, and so on, I don't see that anyone will stop you from respectfully holding up signs or similar things. The most bang for everyone's buck, though, is coordinate such a vacation with the campaign workers. It's possible you'd still be of help. It is more likely that your $$$ would be way more help this time.

There will still be debates and conventions at which we need a strong presence.

Koz
07-08-2011, 05:19 AM
I was planning to go too, but I'm staying home and phonebanking after talking to Steve. If that's what they think needs to be done, let's get it done folks.

CaseyJones
07-08-2011, 07:54 AM
you could take your son to the debate
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?302115-August-11-Ames-Debate-Ticket-Information&highlight=debate+ticket

reduen
07-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Several of us tried to tell you in your other thread.

Sure, maybe an I told you so is in order here but as you can see it currently depends on which of the campaign staff you contact. When I spoke with Steve, I told him this and advised him that they should coordinate better with the main campaign so that they are not sending out two different messages...

I can honestly say that before I talked to Steve about this, it was the furthest thing from my mind that they would not want as many people as possible to show up at this "straw poll"... I can understand during the primaries and such and I would never really advocate for the position of people from out of state coming in and telling the locals who they should vote for but this is a straw poll.

Like I said, I am not an "expert" and I will go along with the campaign on this even though I had been looking forward to this for a long time. There are however a couple of things that I experienced last time that I believe are notable here.

First, my son and I being there gained Ron Paul more votes last time than he would have had if we had not been there. There is no doubt about this unless the people that we talked to were just insincere bold faced liars. I was there and I talked to them face to face so I believe them.

Second, contrary to what seems to be the common belief in here, the people that we met there were all impressed that we would spend our time and money to come all that way for any candidate and the locals were not put off by us being there. Also, the rumors of all the Ron Paul nuts taking over the place were not true. At least 99% of those who were there to support Dr. Paul were really decent people...

All of you here can believe me or not, I do not care anymore.... What a sad situation it is when even you all in here have bought into the "Ron Paul nutty supporter theory..."

cdc482
07-08-2011, 08:31 AM
If you and your son had a great time and were looking forward to it, why don't you still make the trip?

The campaign also doesn't want us using rp2012.org. All I have to say is that I've always hated political cronies, and their method of winning may work, but times are changing. Grassroots made Ron Paul, and they will win the election for him. My advice is to go. I'm sick of the campaigns stupid advice, because they think they know best. They want full control and see us as a liability. This is the same problem I have with gov't.

The Dark Knight
07-08-2011, 08:41 AM
The campaign also doesn't want us using rp2012.org. All I have to say is that I've always hated political cronies, and their method of winning may work, but times are changing. Grassroots made Ron Paul, and they will win the election for him. My advice is to go. I'm sick of the campaigns stupid advice, because they think they know best. They want full control and see us as a liability. This is the same problem I have with gov't.

No the campaign just doesn't want people getting called 3 to 4 times which really pushes people away. I completely understand it. I have been making calls through the Iowa campaign and I talked to a guy yesterday who had already been called twice by Ron Paul people and he started to swear at me and told me he never wants called again by Ron Paul people. He had a straw poll ticket but might not go. true story.

cdc482
07-08-2011, 09:45 AM
No the campaign just doesn't want people getting called 3 to 4 times which really pushes people away. I completely understand it. I have been making calls through the Iowa campaign and I talked to a guy yesterday who had already been called twice by Ron Paul people and he started to swear at me and told me he never wants called again by Ron Paul people. He had a straw poll ticket but might not go. true story.

That's lame. A good point maybe by the campaign, but I would still rather call someone 3 times than not at all when we need 7500 votes to win, and so few of us are making calls...
Also, what kind of guy gets pissed for that? It's a phone call. Sorry I wasted two seconds of your day. I won't call again. Done

LibertyEagle
07-08-2011, 09:53 AM
That's lame. A good point maybe by the campaign, but I would still rather call someone 3 times than not at all when we need 7500 votes to win, and so few of us are making calls...
Also, what kind of guy gets pissed for that? It's a phone call. Sorry I wasted two seconds of your day. I won't call again. Done

Sorry, this isn't about you. It is about what works and what doesn't. Multiple people calling the same household over and over does tend to make them angry and drive them away.

Please do not partake in this.

If you want to call people, sign up on the iowaforronpaul campaign website and Steve will hook you up.

The first rule of the grassroots must be to do no harm to Dr. Paul's chances of winning the nomination. Please.... do no harm.

LibertyEagle
07-08-2011, 09:56 AM

I owe you negative rep.

GunnyFreedom
07-08-2011, 10:12 AM
All of you here can believe me or not, I do not care anymore.... What a sad situation it is when even you all in here have bought into the "Ron Paul nutty supporter theory..."

quod erat demonstrandum

LibertyEagle
07-08-2011, 10:15 AM
quod erat demonstrandum

You think they have proven what, Gunny?

GunnyFreedom
07-08-2011, 10:20 AM
You think they have proven what, Gunny?

o.O :confused:

Napoleon's Shadow
07-08-2011, 10:23 AM
How many elections have you won? Just curious. :confused:

PaulConventionWV
07-08-2011, 10:40 AM

I signed up and Steven contacted me. I made a number and he asked me if I had time to go over the script and stuff. He hasn't emailed me back! What's up? :confused:

reduen
07-08-2011, 01:49 PM
quod erat demonstrandum

If by this you mean that I am a great example of the "Ron Paul nutty supporter thing", I am sorry you feel this way but I simply do not agree. I can't speak for the anyone else of course. Not sure how it is where you are but here in my state within the "current establishment gop", the people that do not support Ron Paul are the most nutty by far. But hey, whatever...

If not, I have no clue what you are getting at. Guess being a politician may have already gotten to you.

GunnyFreedom
07-08-2011, 02:07 PM
If by this you mean that I am a great example of the "Ron Paul nutty supporter thing", I am sorry you feel this way but I simply do not agree. I can't speak for the anyone else of course. Not sure how it is where you are but here in my state within the "current establishment gop", the people that do not support Ron Paul are the most nutty by far. But hey, whatever...

If not, I have no clue what you are getting at. Guess being a politician may have already gotten to you.

Wow, and here I thought it was blatantly obvious. It must be the politician thing huh? Go ahead and kill me now, since I've obviously become a status quo establishmentarian scumbag that nobody can understand, even when the point ought to be apparent.

You made an insinuation that we-all were stupid for thinking that the existence of 'nutty supporters' had anything to do with the Iowa restrictions. Immediately following your post was the exact kind of 'nutty' abrasive PITA supporter that Steve B would logically try to keep away from Iowans. Thus QED. The guy you insinuated didn't exist or didn't matter appeared immediately on the heels of your post.

Clearly you and LE didn't get it. Therefore I am a scumbag politician. :rolleyes:

WTF is in the water around this place?

I never made any kind of indication that you were one of the 'nutty supporters' you referenced. Now, however, given your post above I suspect I should change that assessment. :(

BUSHLIED
07-08-2011, 02:16 PM
I signed up and Steven contacted me. I made a number and he asked me if I had time to go over the script and stuff. He hasn't emailed me back! What's up? :confused:

How long have you been waiting to hear back?

LibertyEagle
07-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Wow, and here I thought it was blatantly obvious. It must be the politician thing huh? Go ahead and kill me now, since I've obviously become a status quo establishmentarian scumbag that nobody can understand, even when the point ought to be apparent.

You made an insinuation that we-all were stupid for thinking that the existence of 'nutty supporters' had anything to do with the Iowa restrictions. Immediately following your post was the exact kind of 'nutty' abrasive PITA supporter that Steve B would logically try to keep away from Iowans. Thus QED. The guy you insinuated didn't exist or didn't matter appeared immediately on the heels of your post.

Clearly you and LE didn't get it. Therefore I am a scumbag politician. :rolleyes:

I never made any kind of indication that you were one of the 'nutty supporters' you referenced. Now, however, given your post above I suspect I should change that assessment. :(

Geez, Glen, all I asked you is what you thought they had proven. wth? Since when isn't it alright to ask for clarification?

LibertyEagle
07-08-2011, 02:22 PM

He has a lot on his plate. Call him and leave him a message or email him, just to make sure signals weren't crossed and he was waiting for you to contact him. I am sure he will get back with you. He just called me again today.

reduen
07-08-2011, 02:23 PM

Whatever gunny.., I think that it is even poor form for you to use cdc482 as an example of the "nutty supporter" thing man.

Just because someone has a different opinion than you does not make them a nut. To this point, I like you and I think that I even donated to you in the past but I stand behind my statement that most of the establishment gop that do not support Dr. Paul in my state are far more nutty than just about any Ron Paul supporter in my opinion.

Is that you? I did not think so but I guess one never knows these days... My comment about being a politician was only made in terms of speaking direct and to the point.

parocks
07-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I've seen Ron Paul Nutty Supporters first hand. It's not an unusual phenomina. From what I gather, the campaign really wants as little of the screaming and yelling, etc. All the crazy people already like Ron Paul, now it's time to try to get people who don't like screaming and yelling and heckling.

I will say, there most certainly will be RPS there. The campaign doesn't really want them, but they'll be there. The people that are there, though, are not there "to help the campaign", they're there "to amuse themselves". They don't want you campaigning for them. But if you're going to attend, you're free to attend. Take a lot of pictures, take a lot of video. If the grassroots staging area idea does come to pass, it is possible that work will be had for you. But don't come to Ames because we've developed a system that takes random Ron Paul supporters from out of state that really shouldn't be there and puts them to work. Too many Ron Paul Supporters yelling chanting and waving signs is what we don't want, and one of the jobs of the grassroots supporters is to stop other Ron Paul supporters from being off message. At least that's the idea. It's very possible that nothing like this at all happens. Many RPS will ignore the campaign, won't get the message.

Bruno
07-08-2011, 02:48 PM
We are all on the same team with the same goals, just different ideas on how to get there.

cdc482
07-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Do whatever the hell you want.
I think it's a no-brainer. You can wait around for the official campaign, which has been saying--literally for months--that they'll have the website for phonebanking set up "any day now."
OR you can start calling on rp2012.org and donating to robocalls (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?302314-Iowa-Robopoll-Report-7-7-2011/page1):
Ya, some people might get a repeat call. Of those few people, how many will be lame enough to not for the guy because an extra 10 seconds of his days were wasted? Probably not as many people as you would miss out on by not calling at all...
I've had ONLY pleasant conversations with people, some of whom were repeat callers.

That's all I have to say.

Oh, and I stand by what I said. The campaign is being childish and wants to control everything, because they know best. I disagree. The grassroots can and will make a difference. Ron Paul doesn't win the official way. He wins from door-to-door, sign-waving, spreading the word...the grassroots. I talked to Steve B. I said, "If rp2012.org will hurt RP's chances, I'm not doing it, so I wanted to check with you whether or not I should do it." He couldn't give me a single good reason, "Uhh...I haven't looked into it all, but I'm not advising anyone to do it." I pressed him for a good reason, and it just became more and more clear that there was none as he started making stuff up. "People don't like calls from out of state." Well Steve, I haven't had that problem once. If Ron Paul loses Ames, it's on you.

sailingaway
07-08-2011, 04:29 PM
I agree that the grassroots have a roll, which is why I am wholly supportive of the ads. The calls, I am concerned about only because people don't like being called over and over. But we all want Ron to win.

MelissaWV
07-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Well put me down as the person who gets annoyed when I get callers (especially those who have little/no idea how to talk to me) repeatedly asking me the same question. While you are at it, put me down as someone who defends the right of someone to get annoyed if that happens.

parocks
07-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Do whatever the hell you want.
I think it's a no-brainer. You can wait around for the official campaign, which has been saying--literally for months--that they'll have the website for phonebanking set up "any day now."
OR you can start calling on rp2012.org and donating to robocalls (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?302314-Iowa-Robopoll-Report-7-7-2011/page1):
Ya, some people might get a repeat call. Of those few people, how many will be lame enough to not for the guy because an extra 10 seconds of his days were wasted? Probably not as many people as you would miss out on by not calling at all...
I've had ONLY pleasant conversations with people, some of whom were repeat callers.

That's all I have to say.

Oh, and I stand by what I said. The campaign is being childish and wants to control everything, because they know best. I disagree. The grassroots can and will make a difference. Ron Paul doesn't win the official way. He wins from door-to-door, sign-waving, spreading the word...the grassroots. I talked to Steve B. I said, "If rp2012.org will hurt RP's chances, I'm not doing it, so I wanted to check with you whether or not I should do it." He couldn't give me a single good reason, "Uhh...I haven't looked into it all, but I'm not advising anyone to do it." I pressed him for a good reason, and it just became more and more clear that there was none as he started making stuff up. "People don't like calls from out of state." Well Steve, I haven't had that problem once. If Ron Paul loses Ames, it's on you.

If you're going to be donating grassroots Iowa project - rp08orbust is doing great work.

There is a way you can donate to door to door and sign waving official campaign projects.

It's nice that you're teaching Steve how cooperative grassroots can be. I'm shocked that he doesn't want out of staters around.

parocks
07-08-2011, 04:46 PM
note that rp08orbust is using robocalls and he's not saying he's from Ron Paul. no hit to the campaign. and hq is getting the data. Rp08orbust is doing a great job.
Not hurting Ron Paul. Finding supporters cheaply and quickly and I love the data.

Yes, unless you're maxed out, you should donate to the official campaign.

sailingaway
07-08-2011, 05:03 PM
People who wanted to go to Iowa might want to consider the debate -- there could be a Ron Paul supporter pre party or post event, and look: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?302380-Iowa-Deb*te-Tix-Important!

reduen
07-09-2011, 07:40 AM
People who wanted to go to Iowa might want to consider the debate -- there could be a Ron Paul supporter pre party or post event, and look: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?302380-Iowa-Deb*te-Tix-Important!

Thanks for the advice, as at least it is constructive.

You know, I have been thinking about this and I am not one to bash the official campaign but I think that their stance on this subject may just backfire on them. To discourage all out of state supporters from being there may just be the best way to make sure that the only ones that show up are the nutty and fanatical ones.

I mean think about it, the only ones that are going to listen to the official campaign are the supporters who respect them. Everyone else could care less what the official campaign wants. We may all have to go to the straw poll just to save them from all of those nutty fans that have no intention of listening to the campaign….

parocks
07-10-2011, 10:34 AM
"good" vs "bad" ron paul supporters. the grassroots develop strategies to deal with the ron paul supporters. have the plan in place before the Ames straw poll.
create an organization from the people who have checked in. not saying don't do what the campaign says, but if you're going to go, expect that other ron paul supporters are there to keep the rowdier Ron Paul supporters in line. Expect to work on that project.

Thanks for the advice, as at least it is constructive.

You know, I have been thinking about this and I am not one to bash the official campaign but I think that their stance on this subject may just backfire on them. To discourage all out of state supporters from being there may just be the best way to make sure that the only ones that show up are the nutty and fanatical ones.

I mean think about it, the only ones that are going to listen to the official campaign are the supporters who respect them. Everyone else could care less what the official campaign wants. We may all have to go to the straw poll just to save them from all of those nutty fans that have no intention of listening to the campaign….

Napoleon's Shadow
07-10-2011, 01:33 PM

I mean think about it, the only ones that are going to listen to the official campaign are the supporters who respect them. Everyone else could care less what the official campaign wants. We may all have to go to the straw poll just to save them from all of those nutty fans that have no intention of listening to the campaign….:rolleyes:

The campaign is encouraging people to get involved, but in ways that are actually helpful, not damaging.

White Bear Lake
07-10-2011, 01:44 PM

Moorhead's 20 minutes from Iowa?

parocks
07-10-2011, 01:54 PM
He said that when the campaign is "encouraging people to get involved, but in ways that are actually helpful, not damaging" but not at the straw poll event
if you're from out of state, they're discouraging the very people who might be able to keep the bad ones under control.

You missed his entire point, which were I got my own "you failed to control the bad RPS" argument.

He knows full well that the campaign is doing that, of course.

And my point is: who is going to keep the bad RPS under control?
The answer cannot be "i'm telling them not to come".

Every RP event there are bad RPS. What system have you figured out to get that to 0.

You haven't figured out any.

Instead of posting endlessly the theory that a band swearing at a unofficial event not authorized in any way by Ron Paul is going to result in press attention like this was 1986 or 1970, sit down, and figure out the system that will control the bad RPS in attendence. We have one. grassroots security based out of random room. grassroots meets irl, and a system is implemented. Your system is what?

:rolleyes:

The campaign is encouraging people to get involved, but in ways that are actually helpful, not damaging.

tsai3904
07-10-2011, 02:48 PM
To those worried about calling the same Iowa resident multiple times (which should be unlikely since campaign is calling Rs and grassroots are calling Is), this is from Steve Bierfeldt in an article he wrote in 2009 titled "Blueprint for Revolution (http://www.yaliberty.org/yar/blueprint-for-revolution)":

By contrast, as much as many of us complain about automated pre-recorded messages from candidates—robo-calls—there is a reason campaigns, even in the age of advanced social networking, continue to do them: they work. Despite the anecdotal stories you hear about someone becoming angry at the flood of automated calls he has been receiving and pledging not to vote for that candidate out of spite … it does not happen. Ask yourself, if you truly believed in the message Ron Paul was proclaiming and thought he was the only hope for our country, would you really refuse to vote for him simply because of a few automated telephone calls? If so, then statistically you weren’t going to vote for him anyway. Such voters are negligible.

reduen
07-10-2011, 03:49 PM
To those worried about calling the same Iowa resident multiple times (which should be unlikely since campaign is calling Rs and grassroots are calling Is), this is from Steve Bierfeldt in an article he wrote in 2009 titled "Blueprint for Revolution (http://www.yaliberty.org/yar/blueprint-for-revolution)":

Dude, this needs it's own thread...! There are many people in here that need to see this comment from even Steve B. himeself....

cdc482
07-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Also, I don't know how everyone forgets this every other day but on rp2012.org, you have the option to call INDEPENDENTS, whereas the campaign focuses on Republicans. Stop making excuses for yourself. There is good work to be done that will not hurt Ron Paul. I am surprised at how few calls have been made. I thought RP had the most passionate supporters...

cdc482
07-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Win Ames. Make calls.
We can't do it alone. Where is RPF on rp2012.org?

I thought y'all cared about liberty. This is why we have bush.obama presidencies. Because you all don't care enough to fight. You may not have a lot of money, but I'm sure you all can spare an hour a day for a Ron Paul presidency.

nayjevin
07-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Win Ames. Make calls.
We can't do it alone. Where is RPF on rp2012.org?

I thought y'all cared about liberty. This is why we have bush.obama presidencies. Because you all don't care enough to fight. You may not have a lot of money, but I'm sure you all can spare an hour a day for a Ron Paul presidency.

LoL

you're with us or you're aginst us!