PDA

View Full Version : Lew Rockwell's account of the Leno show

scbissler
10-31-2007, 08:24 AM
Ron Paul Is a TV Star
Posted by Lew Rockwell at October 31, 2007 09:02 AM

Yesterday afternoon, when we pulled up at NBC studios in Burbank, hundreds of Ron's typically diverse and enthusiastic supporters cheered and cheered. Young and old, black, Asian and white, families and hippies, entrepreneurs and professionals, Republicans, Democrats, Independents, and anarchists, they had come from all over California, and from Nevada, Washington, and Oregon too. They had been there since 5:00am to ensure that they had tickets to the Tonight Show. I wondered: how much would, say, the Guiliani campaign had have to pay people to do that? These self-organizing volunteers hadn't even had to be asked.

Then it was time to go, and as we pulled into the VIP parking lot, a big African-American security guard trotted up to the car, pointed and shouted: "Ron Paul! I love you!" An NBC page took us to the parking space near Jay Leno's Star Trek-looking motorcycle (although, to date myself, I thought: this is where Johnny Carson parked his Corvette).

Staffers took us into the green room, then Jay—in blue jeans and a jean shirt—came into to go over what he planned to ask with Ron and to shoot funny lines back and forth. Jay, David Berg the segment producer, and everyone else were friendly and respectful to Ron, and there was little of the high-tension that is supposed to be the case at a certain other late-night show, where the host is famously nasty to the staff.

Tom Cruise stopped in twice to talk to Ron, who he thanked for long opposing federal mental-health screening of school children, federal drugging of school children, and the state as Big Shrink. (The other main guest, libertarian Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols, hailed Ron as “President Paul.”)

Then we left for the E! Network and an interview on G4, but as we stopped out front to pick up Burt Blumert, who had sat in the front tow of the audience. During the warm-up, which Leno does himself—very unusually—he chose Burt to come up on stage and dance with some beautiful girls. June tells me he was great, and I don’t doubt it!

As we stopped, supporters thronged Ron’s van, but to have a chance of keeping our next appointment, we had to go. Then a mother asked me if Ron could shake her disabled eight-year-old son’s hand. Ron hopped out and bent down to talk to the boy for a few minutes, then signed his t-shirt, as he had so many others.

In the van, Ron said he had asked the boy if he was there because his mother had brought him. No, he said, he had learned about Ron on YouTube, and had brought his mother.

Then we went to a crowded fundraiser at a great house in the Hollywood Hills. There the Ron Paul demographic seemed to be successful guys in their thirties. (And the LRC and Mises.org demo as well. There were many supporters.) They cheered the Leno show, which we watched on a huge screen, and every word out of Ron Paul’s mouth.

No question the Tonight Show was the best media appearance ever for Ron. Eleven-million people got to see this relaxed and funny champion of freedom, prosperity, and peace allowed to talk without interruption. How many were persuaded, or at least fascinated and decided to learn more? A huge number. Indeed, I am convinced this show will be seen as an historic moment in the story of libertarianism. Good for Leno, who disagrees on the war and the income tax and much else, but was a great host. Watch the YouTube to see. Has Austrian economics ever been praised on the Tonight Show? Go Ron Paul!

PS: I’ll blog a few of the iPhone photos I took. No ATT at NBC, so I couldn’t send them from there.

RonFan1776
10-31-2007, 08:33 AM
Awesome!

kevman657
10-31-2007, 08:35 AM
Good to hear. Glad Tom Cruise gave him a few compliments.

MsDoodahs
10-31-2007, 08:36 AM
Great write up!

nullvalu
10-31-2007, 08:36 AM
That rocks!! That's so cool that he touted Austrian economics, but I wonder what % of the population even knows what it is? I hope people educate themselves. :)

NinjaPirate
10-31-2007, 08:37 AM
I don't know what austrian economics is. :(

werdd
10-31-2007, 08:37 AM
Tom cruise and johnny rotten, i hope they formally endorse RP - and they sure as hell got enough money to send him.

steph3n
10-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Tom cruise and johnny rotten, i hope they formally endorse RP - and they sure as hell got enough money to send him.

no, only $2300 ;)

Mastiff
10-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Does Lew Rockwell ride around with Ron everywhere or what?

ConstitutionGal
Frankly, I'm surprised that Cruise even knew some of Dr. Paul's stances!! Great write-up!!

murrayrothbard
Mises Institute (http://www.mises.org) FTW!!! :D

DrNoZone
10-31-2007, 08:44 AM

Go to www.mises.org and you can learn ALL about it. :D

This was a GREAT writeup! So inspiring.

Korey Kaczynski
10-31-2007, 08:44 AM
om Cruise stopped in twice to talk to Ron, who he thanked for long opposing federal mental-health screening of school children, federal drugging of school children, and the state as Big Shrink. (The other main guest, libertarian Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols, hailed Ron as “President Paul.”)

Which means he was aware of Ron Paul before the show :)

TexMac
10-31-2007, 08:45 AM
Does Lew Rockwell ride around with Ron everywhere or what?
No, just occasionally.

TexMac
10-31-2007, 08:47 AM

Economics for Real People: An Introduction to the Austrian School (http://www.mises.org/store/Economics-for-Real-People-An-Introduction-to-the-Austrian-School-2nd-edition-P116C0.aspx)

That'll get you started.

JuniorNJ
10-31-2007, 08:48 AM
AWESOME writeup. AWESOME.

MsDoodahs
10-31-2007, 08:49 AM
Frankly, I'm surprised that Cruise even knew some of Dr. Paul's stances!! Great write-up!!

I am, too. That he knew of them tells me that EITHER Cruise is online himself now and then AND is smart enough to google Ron Paul...OR his handlers did the googling for him and then informed TC of Ron's positions.

Now, the thing that would cause a resurgence in TC's popularity (or any "star" for that matter) would be to have some damned COURAGE for a change and come out with a strong and passionate ENDORSEMENT of the good Doctor.

On the other hand, I typically think "movie stars" should do what they're paid to do: act! And basically stfu when it comes to the political realm (though they never do and usually endorse some candidate spewing ... drivel).

V4Vendetta
10-31-2007, 08:56 AM

me too!

Hope
10-31-2007, 08:57 AM
I am, too. That he knew of them tells me that EITHER Cruise is online himself now and then AND is smart enough to google Ron Paul...OR his handlers did the googling for him and then informed TC of Ron's positions.

Now, the thing that would cause a resurgence in TC's popularity (or any "star" for that matter) would be to have some damned COURAGE for a change and come out with a strong and passionate ENDORSEMENT of the good Doctor.

On the other hand, I typically think "movie stars" should do what they're paid to do: act! And basically stfu when it comes to the political realm (though they never do and usually endorse some candidate spewing ... drivel).

On the contrary, if Tom Cruise publically endorsed Ron Paul, the general public would have more reason to believe the media tripe about RP being a loon.

werdd
10-31-2007, 08:59 AM
On the contrary, if Tom Cruise publically endorsed Ron Paul, the general public would have more reason to believe the media tripe about RP being a loon.

True, mr scientology might not be the best for RP, i bet RP would even turn it down.

nullvalu
10-31-2007, 09:06 AM
LOL I wonder who else is in Ron Paul's entourage? :) Anyone know who was at this supposed hollywood fundraiser?

nullvalu
10-31-2007, 09:09 AM
True, mr scientology might not be the best for RP, i bet RP would even turn it down.

How do you turn down an endorsement? Why would he? Hell, Stormfront, the white supremecist group has endorsed Ron Paul, but they haven't condemned it. People can support who they want.

specsaregood
10-31-2007, 09:11 AM

The fact that TC knew about Ron Paul's stances on mental health screening is unsurprising. That may very well be enough for him to support Ron Paul.

Scientologists despise the psych industry.

steph3n
10-31-2007, 09:12 AM
LOL I wonder who else is in Ron Paul's entourage? :) Anyone know who was at this supposed hollywood fundraiser?

His grandson(Matt), and granddaughter(Valori), Jesse, it seems Lew this time. Of yes, and Mrs. Paul the one that makes fish sticks! (Leno)

ConstitutionGal
10-31-2007, 09:16 AM

That thought crossed my mind as well as the general public has only heard about Cruise in relation to Scientology and divorce for the last few years.

RPinSEAZ
10-31-2007, 09:18 AM

The last thing we want is an endorsement from a loon like Tom Cruise. If people knew nothing about Tom Cruise other than Top Gun and Risky Business, it would be fine. However, many people are aware that TC thinks aliens are attached to his theta because the evil galactic emperor Xenu blew them all up in a volcano billions of years ago. Tom believes psychiatry is from the Nazis and that it would stop his progression up the bridge to becoming "clear" of the aliens.

Jess (wishes he was exagerrating)

MsDoodahs
10-31-2007, 09:19 AM
That thought crossed my mind as well as the general public has only heard about Cruise in relation to Scientology and divorce for the last few years.

:o

My refusal to read/watch/listen to stuff about "stars" is showing.

lol...

garrettwombat
10-31-2007, 09:21 AM
i really like the story about the 8 year old...

ConstitutionGal
10-31-2007, 09:24 AM

My refusal to read/watch/listen to stuff about "stars" is showing.

lol...

LOL - how do you think I knew what the 'general public' has been hearing? ;)
I don't keep up with the 'stars' either but some stuff does get through the 'bs' filter.

MsDoodahs
10-31-2007, 09:25 AM
If people knew nothing about Tom Cruise other than Top Gun and Risky Business, it would be fine.

That would be me.

lonestarguy
10-31-2007, 09:51 AM
dang, that was a grand report on RP's halloween's eve appearance on leno, and a tear-jerker too about that 8-year old kid that 72 y.o. RP got out of his vehicle to talk to. me thinks lew is right. this is an important marker in the campaign to re-claim this country. damn, rp, makes us proud.

(noticed in the comments to the rp/leno youtube)

by oldschoolslacker:

Unlike Rudy, he's not a tyrant or scaremonger.

Unlike Mitt, his voting record proves he doesn't flip-flop on issues with the political winds.

Unlike Thompson, he doesn't have to beg people for applause.

Unlike McCain, he actually has growing financial support.

Unlike Huckabee, he isn't pandering to the evangelical busy-bees.

Ron Paul is the only candidate worth voting for.

slantedview
10-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Awesome writeup. Made my day :) Now I'm late for work!!!!

Matt Collins
10-31-2007, 09:57 AM
LOL I wonder who else is in Ron Paul's entourage? :) Well... I know who SHOULD be....

Jefferson, Judge Nap, Stossel, Rockwell of course, Goldwater, Badnarik... and others I'm sure :D

daviddee
10-31-2007, 10:00 AM

frasu
10-31-2007, 10:01 AM
awesome, awesome, awesome... I was wondering how did it go behind the scenes... nice to know this guys interacted with RP... so proud of what RP is doing and how he hangs on no matter what...

thanks for the posting

MusoSpuso
10-31-2007, 10:08 AM

I never understood this idea. Actors/Stars/whatever are citizens too. Telling them to shut up is like telling yourself or any other American to shut up. Does the constitution not protect their free speech as well? Don't like it, don't listen to it.

rockwell
10-31-2007, 10:14 AM
"As we stopped, supporters thronged Ron’s van, but to have a chance of keeping our next appointment, we had to go. Then a mother asked me if Ron could shake her disabled eight-year-old son’s hand. Ron hopped out and bent down to talk to the boy for a few minutes, then signed his t-shirt, as he had so many others.

In the van, Ron said he had asked the boy if he was there because his mother had brought him. No, he said, he had learned about Ron on YouTube, and had brought his mother."

If I didn't know better I'd say he was an actor playing the part of the perfect candidate. That got me teared up and I'm a combat vet who hasn't had an emotional moment since my last son was born.

God bless Ron Paul, he is truly a gift to America, this has to be Providence.

LibertyEagle
10-31-2007, 10:30 AM

But he COULD donate! Yes indeed. :D

OceanMachine7
10-31-2007, 10:40 AM
I never understood this idea. Actors/Stars/whatever are citizens too. Telling them to shut up is like telling yourself or any other American to shut up. Does the constitution not protect their free speech as well? Don't like it, don't listen to it.

Of course they do. But, just because they're good at pretending they're somebody else on a stage doesn't necessarily make them fully informed about the issues. Nonetheless, if Americans were more active in their research on issues, all of this would be moot.

Syren123
10-31-2007, 10:41 AM
His grandson(Matt), and granddaughter(Valori), Jesse, it seems Lew this time. Of yes, and Mrs. Paul the one that makes fish sticks! (Leno)

Matt - no
Valori - no
Mrs. Paul - no

Several state level Libertarian big wig movers were there. People drove up from San Diego who had never attended a Ron Paul event before - fantastic supporters and great people.

The usual LA Ron Paul fans were there as well - the ones who maxed out at the last fundraiser and lots of meetup people.

The host gave a beautiful party in his lovely home tucked way high in the hills. He had the satellite feed of the east coast Tonight Show broadcast so guests got to watch it early.

I have to say, Lew Rockwell had his own contingent of fans who were stoked to meet him (me included). There were interesting people of all kinds - intellectuals, creative types, politicos - a fabulous party. It was a blast.

American
10-31-2007, 10:45 AM
I found this off the LR site, its also a really good article about Ron Paul and his supporters.

http://glozelllovesjayleno.blogspot.com/2007/10/ron-paul-and-glovolution.html

I told them I come to the show everyday...all of a suddenthey moved me to the front of the line, offered me coffee and donuts, and gave me T-Shirt. This was the best group of people ever!.

Ron Paul people were every where. Then my camera wasn't working. All of a sudden Ron Paul gets out of a car and talks to us in line. Wow...this guy is great! I love Ron Paul. If you are registered Republican please check out http://www.ronpaul2008.com/ and Ron Paul Freedom Message .com Vote for Ron!

RPinSEAZ
10-31-2007, 10:51 AM
As opposed to the billions that think:

1. A God was born to a virgin mother, died on a cross, and was resurrected from the dead.
2. Humans started (most likely) from a warm pond that got struck by lightening
3. The God mentioned in #1 never happened, but their messiah is still waiting to return.
4. Cows are sacred

It is a matter of perspective.

As to the psychiatry... You should be aware that both Jung's & Freud's work were used and built upon by the Nazis. Additionally, that the kids of today ARE being drugged on a daily basis at school for "ADD". His concerns with the drugging of our children are very real.

I am neither for nor against Tom Cruise as I have never met him and the information I have 'heard' about him was distributed by the same people who told me the war in Iraq was justified... orchestrate a Ron Paul blackout... etc etc

Point of the e-mail: Before you cast stones at others maybe you should reevaluate your belief system... and try to understand why someone could believe the opposite.

Whatever man. Debate religion elsewhere, I was just pointing out why we don't want Tom's endorsement and that he hasn't exactly been a beacon of rationality recently.

vegetarianrpfan
10-31-2007, 10:52 AM

I'm sure he didn't learn from Google, but from the Church of Scientology. Scientologists are huge on being against all forms of psychiatry and psychiatric drugs; they think that a vitamin regimen can cure all sorts of ills from mental illness to drug addiction, instead. I actually thought before the show that Cruise would for sure know about the Health Freedom Act (due to his support of vitamin use for so many things) and the bill against Teenscreen-type pseudo-screenings.

It was classy of him to tell RP in person, but he is very deep into his religion and that goes along with it.

Another interesting thing to note is that a lot of people believe that Scientologists are against psychiatry not only for legitimate concerns of overdrugging, as DavidDee pointed out, but because any type of psychiatric therapy is a direct competitor to the Scientology technique of "auditing" that Scientologists pay the Church so much for.

============
Girl Gets Ron Paul License Plate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtdaK1UPNkQ

The Good Doctor
10-31-2007, 10:57 AM
This is just plain AWESOME! :D

Tom Cruise stopped in twice to talk to Ron, who he thanked for long opposing federal mental-health screening of school children, federal drugging of school children, and the state as Big Shrink. (The other main guest, libertarian Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols, hailed Ron as “President Paul.”)

The Good Doctor
10-31-2007, 11:02 AM
Browne! RIP! Well maybe he is there like a glowie Obi Wan Kenobi and Yoda.

Well... I know who SHOULD be....

Jefferson, Judge Nap, Stossel, Rockwell of course, Goldwater, Badnarik... and others I'm sure :D

RP4ME
10-31-2007, 11:11 AM

Except when they agree with you! Then go get political! :D

LibertyEagle
10-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Matt - no
Valori - no
Mrs. Paul - no

Several state level Libertarian big wig movers were there. People drove up from San Diego who had never attended a Ron Paul event before - fantastic supporters and great people.

The usual LA Ron Paul fans were there as well - the ones who maxed out at the last fundraiser and lots of meetup people.

The host gave a beautiful party in his lovely home tucked way high in the hills. He had the satellite feed of the east coast Tonight Show broadcast so guests got to watch it early.

I have to say, Lew Rockwell had his own contingent of fans who were stoked to meet him (me included). There were interesting people of all kinds - intellectuals, creative types, politicos - a fabulous party. It was a blast.

I sure hope there were enough people there who had not already maxed out. We need all the donations we can get.

steph3n
10-31-2007, 11:21 AM
interesting thanks for the report, it wasn't his standard group then :)

Matt - no
Valori - no
Mrs. Paul - no

MsDoodahs
10-31-2007, 11:27 AM
Except when they agree with you! Then go get political! :D

lol, there aren't a lot of "stars" touting market anarchism! :D

bbachtung
10-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Matt - no
Valori - no
Mrs. Paul - no

The Church of Scientology established the Citizens' Commission on Human Rights, which advocates against what it sees as abuses by psychiatrists and the drug companies. The organization was apparently very impressed with RP's actions in opposition to TeenScreen in 2005 (http://patrickvaltin.forhumanrights.org/personal-message-from-ron-paul/).

Politics, as usual, makes strange bedfellows, and we who support RP are a very diverse bunch, and we appear able to put aside our differences to support RP because he is perhaps the last hope for America.

Dustancostine
10-31-2007, 11:56 AM

Come on Ms. Doodahs,

We all know Tom Cruise is a looney, who is part of a fringe religion/cult. And aren't all good loonies RP supporters. Isn't that the only people that support RP. :D

Blowback
10-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Come on Ms. Doodahs,

We all know Tom Cruise is a looney, who is part of a fringe religion/cult. And aren't all good loonies RP supporters. Isn't that the only people that support RP. :D

If Tom Cruise supported Ron Paul it would instantly prove without a doubt that he is not looney.

Support of Ron Paul is the ultimate measure.

Looneys are people who don't support Ron Paul.

That is how you define being a looney or not.

speciallyblend
10-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Ron Paul, I Love You:) that would make a good sticker;)

Tina
10-31-2007, 12:10 PM
As opposed to the billions that think:

1. A God was born to a virgin mother, died on a cross, and was resurrected from the dead.
2. Humans started (most likely) from a warm pond that got struck by lightening
3. The God mentioned in #1 never happened, but their messiah is still waiting to return.
4. Cows are sacred

It is a matter of perspective.

As to the psychiatry... You should be aware that both Jung's & Freud's work were used and built upon by the Nazis. Additionally, that the kids of today ARE being drugged on a daily basis at school for "ADD". His concerns with the drugging of our children are very real.

I am neither for nor against Tom Cruise as I have never met him and the information I have 'heard' about him was distributed by the same people who told me the war in Iraq was justified... orchestrate a Ron Paul blackout... etc etc

Point of the e-mail: Before you cast stones at others maybe you should reevaluate your belief system... and try to understand why someone could believe the opposite.

That may be too much logic for the masses. :)