PDA

View Full Version : something Ron Paul should explain more clearly...

K1RBY
10-31-2007, 07:33 AM
during the Leno interview, and others before it, people just cant understand how the country could operate w/out an income tax.

..telling people that we did a lot of great things before 1913 doesnt exactly make people get in line.

i think he should find a quick way to explain that we will still have corperate taxes, import taxes, state taxes ect ect ect.

pointing out that most of the income tax just goes to pay the interest on the debt is very important too.

sometimes i think Ron Paul assumes that people already know this stuff, and they should, but today's generation doesnt know how anything gets done. if you ask most people how the government collects taxes, they would most likely say 'outa my paycheck, and from cigarattes..'

anyway, the interview was a slam dunk, but we need a quick response to people that think the country would go in the dumpster w/out collecting income tax.

fj45lvr
10-31-2007, 07:42 AM
i agree that quite possibly Ron may take for granted just how little folks know, especially concerning economics, taxation, banking, and currencies.

Maybe someone should make a "FOR DUMMIES" book/website.....

Snowfire
10-31-2007, 07:47 AM
Good point, Kirby.

I also think the oft-repeated phrase, "We should be friends with other nations," could be construed that we would be best pals with dictatorships and other repressive governments.

Perhaps it would be better to say, "We should be cautious to not cut off trade, because isolating regimes generally only serves to justify a tyrannical 'us-against-them' mentality."

?

Kacela
10-31-2007, 07:56 AM
You can perhaps explain to them that every single cent of your Federal income tax goes to paying the interest on money the Government borrows from the private bank that is the Federal Reserve - none of it goes to any government service. Remember that the Federal Reserve is as "Federal" as Federal Express is. Money for schools, roads and services in your community is derived from local property taxes - not from any federal government money.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-31-2007, 07:59 AM
Well, I agreed with him....

Brinck Slattery
10-31-2007, 08:03 AM
I think the original poster makes a great point - most people aren't operating in a libertarian/freedom mindset, and it takes a little paradigm shock to get them thinking about how a real free market and a real Constitutional government works. Hell, I didn't know that the abolition of the income tax would only bring us back to 2000 revenue levels, and I'm very politically aware.

Jimmy
10-31-2007, 08:11 AM
His only fault on Leno....should have explained that one alittle better to the sheep. All in all though a great performance. Couldn't ask for much better :cool:

Ron Paul Fan
10-31-2007, 08:16 AM
It wasn't a fault and he should say what he chooses to. We shouldn't be ramming words down his throat through the barrel of a gun! Congressman Paul knows full well what he's doing. I think some people think Ron Paul is a political rookie and that he hasn't been in this business since the 1970's. I think Ron Paul is doing just fine and the support is growing exponentially! Keep doing what you're doing Dr. Paul! You're still an inspiration to some of us who appreciate what you're doing and back you 100% of the time!

Jimmy
10-31-2007, 09:02 AM
It wasn't a fault and he should say what he chooses to. We shouldn't be ramming words down his throat through the barrel of a gun! Congressman Paul knows full well what he's doing. I think some people think Ron Paul is a political rookie and that he hasn't been in this business since the 1970's. I think Ron Paul is doing just fine and the support is growing exponentially! Keep doing what you're doing Dr. Paul! You're still an inspiration to some of us who appreciate what you're doing and back you 100% of the time!

Bad choice of words on my part. I back RP 110%.

BLS
10-31-2007, 09:05 AM
I just watched the interview again and I was going to post this exact issue.

Jay was trying to get him to explain how the government could run without income taxes.
He did it, but it wasn't very fluid. Mentioning the point that we'd be back to our spending levels of the year 2000 sure makes alot of sense though.

jmdrake
10-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Good point, Kirby.

I also think the oft-repeated phrase, "We should be friends with other nations," could be construed that we would be best pals with dictatorships and other repressive governments.

Perhaps it would be better to say, "We should be cautious to not cut off trade, because isolating regimes generally only serves to justify a tyrannical 'us-against-them' mentality."

?

He was making a direct quote from Thomas Jefferson.

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations – entangling alliances with none." ~ Thomas Jefferson

And he did say "That's why the founding fathers said...." (I think). Also right now we ARE "best pals" with dictatorships and other repressive governments. Hello? Pakistan? Saudi Arabia? China? Only right now our trade relationships are based on lobbyists rather than sound principles. (The anti Cuba trade lobby is strong and the pro Cuba trade lobby is weak. With China just the opposite is true.)

Anyway, I think couching his comments in the words of others was the best way to go. I love how he keeps bringing up that Bush once pushed for a "humble foreign policy" and to "avoid nation building". Of course the neocons claim Bush just has a "post 9/11 outlook" but those of us who know the "truth" know better.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Question_Authority
10-31-2007, 09:41 AM
You took the words right out of my mouth. The general public needs to be talked to like they are 2 years olds. Many people I talk to barely know the difference between state and federal governments, how the revenue is collected and distributed, etc. Another thing RP never explains too well in other interviews is what it means to get rid of the Dept of Education, for example. I have talked to people who think, when he says that, that he wants to END ALL PUBLIC EDUCATION! They are just clueless. Same goes for Dept of Energy, FDA, etc. These things need to be explained in more depth.

RP is brilliant, but he reminds of a science teacher I had in HS. This guy was SOOOO brilliant, and had actually had a great scientific career. After retirement, he started teaching. He knew all of this stuff like the back of his hand, but he had a really hard time conveying it to people who knew nothing about it. he just didn't understand the gigantic gap of knowledge between us and him.

And please no one accuse me of not supporting RP. Honestly, when I hear someone say "RP knows what he is doing, so shut up and stop criticizing him" it reminds me of everything I have been hearing from Bush-sheep for the last 7 years. "Stop talking, Bush knows what he is doing!" I hate that mentality. Most RP supporters are outspoken and independent thinkers. Do you really think we are just going to be silent?