PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider being a professional juror?

specsaregood
07-07-2011, 10:48 AM
If we had professional juries, would you consider that as a career choice?

Given:
1. You are at a stage in your life where you are considering career options.
2. It paid an average middle-class salary.
3. It was attainable with the equivalent of an associates degree or at most a bachelors degree.

Edit:
This thread is not for debating on whether you think professional juries are a good idea; but rather in an environment where they already exist. Would you consider becoming a professional juror?

We are currently discussing the idea itself here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?302171-GOP-goon-displeased-with-outcome-of-Casey-Anthony-case-advocates-Police-State

oyarde
07-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Choice number three is pretty funny.

acptulsa
07-07-2011, 10:54 AM
I would, yes. But I'd have to think long and hard about whether this would or wouldn't make me part of 'a jury of [someone's] peers'.

BUSHLIED
07-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Choice number three is pretty funny.

This is outright ridiculous..do I need to even go into why?

oyarde
07-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Absolutely not .

specsaregood
07-07-2011, 11:00 AM
This is outright ridiculous..do I need to even go into why?

This is not the debate on whether you think professional juries are a good idea; but rather in an environment where they already exist. Would you consider becoming a profesional juror?

edit: we are currently discussing the idea itself here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?302171-GOP-goon-displeased-with-outcome-of-Casey-Anthony-case-advocates-Police-State

oyarde
07-07-2011, 11:05 AM
I would prefer proffessional beer taster .

specsaregood
07-07-2011, 11:08 AM

I think that is why most do it as volunteer work. :) I understand the exam is pretty tough too.

brandon
07-07-2011, 11:31 AM
If it was considered an entry-level position in a private court, and led to more desirable, better paying positions, such as becoming an attorney, judge or court manager, then yes. If it was pretty much a dead end road, then no.

specsaregood
07-07-2011, 11:34 AM
If it was considered an entry-level position in a private court, and led to more desirable, better paying positions, such as becoming an attorney, judge or court manager, then yes. If it was pretty much a dead end road, then no.

I would think that a professional juror job would give one good experience that would be helpful in other careers such as those you listed. eg: it would give an attorney a better understanding of the debate/thought process used by jurors when rendering a verdict.

brandon
07-07-2011, 11:35 AM
IMO, a problem with using "professional jurors" is it drastically dilutes the pool of unbiased jurors. It was nearly impossible to pick a jury for that ladies case (I can't recall her name) because most people in the Florida area already heard of her and formed an opinion. Now imagine if the pool we started with went from several million down to just a few hundred.

There would need to be thousands of professional jurors for every court to ensure a non-partial peer can be chosen for every trial.

specsaregood
07-07-2011, 11:40 AM
IMO, a problem with using "professional jurors" is it drastically dilutes the pool of unbiased jurors. It was nearly impossible to pick a jury for that ladies case (I can't recall her name) because most people in the Florida area already heard of her and formed an opinion. Now imagine if the pool we started with went from several million down to just a few hundred.

There would need to be thousands of professional jurors for every court to ensure a non-partial peer can be chosen for every trial.

Would it though? Part of their job description would be to render an impartial verdict. Just like judges are expected to. That was part of my point in the other thread is perhaps professional juror would be better trained to seperate the signal/noise from the decision process and be unbiased.

Guitarzan
07-07-2011, 11:41 AM
I suppose that I would...but only to offset the law and order personalities that would also apply for the job.

what makes a good professional juror? Of course, through the State's eyes it would be a person that has the highest conviction rate. And the State controls the media, and the media controls most of the population...hence...

Brian4Liberty
07-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Sounds like a terribly boring job. The people who would be most attracted to it would be people who crave the power to decide about other people's lives.

Chester Copperpot
07-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Id probably be for it for a little while at least.. maybe a year or two..

and my main impetus would be to enforce jury nullification and educate the public

specsaregood
07-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Sounds like a terribly boring job. The people who would be most attracted to it would be people who crave the power to decide about other people's lives.

But there sure seems to be a lot of court tv shows that evidently people watch. And they aren't able to influence the result so some people must not consider it boring and watch it for other reasons than just about power.

kah13176
07-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Poll is invalid. "Kludge is a douchebag" is not an option.

pcosmar
07-07-2011, 11:55 AM
The very concept boggles the mind.

No and Hell No.

Brian4Liberty
07-07-2011, 11:55 AM
But there sure seems to be a lot of court tv shows that evidently people watch. And they aren't able to influence the result so some people must not consider it boring and watch it for other reasons than just about power.

Court TV is entertainment. Unedited, day to day Court proceedings are pretty dull.

specsaregood
07-07-2011, 11:56 AM
The very concept boggles the mind.
No and Hell No.

That is unfortunate as I would like you to be on my jury should I need one.

Krugerrand
07-07-2011, 11:58 AM

^^^ by day, and professional mattress tester by night.

pcosmar
07-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Id probably be for it for a little while at least.. maybe a year or two..

and my main impetus would be to enforce jury nullification and educate the public

how would nullification work?

"Your Fired" "Next"

pcosmar
07-07-2011, 12:00 PM

I am quite well acquainted with the present "system" and hence will never be allowed to serve on a jury.
:(

Krugerrand
07-07-2011, 12:01 PM
how would nullification work?

"Your Fired" "Next"

Conviction bonuses.

specsaregood
07-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I am quite well acquainted with the present "system" and hence will never be allowed to serve on a jury.
:(

Ok, then what are the chances you'll get a jury of your "peers" with our existing system?

Can somebody with a record become a defense attorney? Why couldn't somebody with a record become a professional juror?

pcosmar
07-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Ok, then what are the chances you'll get a jury of your "peers" with our existing system?

Can somebody with a record become a defense attorney? Why couldn't somebody with a record become a professional juror?

:confused:
Presently I can not get hired to push shopping carts in from a Walmart parking lot or mow lawns at a cemetery. or even shovel cow shit at a local dairy.

Becoming a mercenary for the prison industrial complex is not a consideration.

specsaregood
07-07-2011, 12:10 PM
:confused:
Presently I can not get hired to push shopping carts in from a Walmart parking lot or mow lawns at a cemetery. or even shovel cow shit at a local dairy.
Becoming a mercenary for the prison industrial complex is not a consideration.

Right but that wasn't the poll question.
If it was an option to be a professional juror -- disregard your current history -- would you consider it? In theory, you could go out there and be a strict constitutionalist juror.

pcosmar
07-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Right but that wasn't the poll question.
If it was an option to be a professional juror -- disregard your current history -- would you consider it? In theory, you could go out there and be a strict constitutionalist juror.

The concept is repulsive. it is contrary to the whole purpose of juries and is an invitation to corruption.

NO and Hell NO !

specsaregood
07-07-2011, 04:11 PM
The concept is repulsive. it is contrary to the whole purpose of juries and is an invitation to corruption.
NO and Hell NO !

Fair enough. The other view is it might give another way for civil liberty minded people to fight back rather than becoming attorneys doing pro-bono work, writers or activists holding signs.

Rocket80
07-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Absolutely - in what career could one possibly have a greater influence on the cause of freedom and liberty. How satisfying would it be to save people from the stupidity of our laws?

specsaregood
07-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Absolutely - in what career could one possibly have a greater influence on the cause of freedom and liberty. How satisfying would it be to save people from the stupidity of our laws?

That's what I'm saying. 1 good liberty minded professional juror could trump dozens of liberty minded pro-bono lawyers.

steph3n
07-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Only if I had the freedom to talk about jury nullification to every pool and on every case heard and decided. That would probably 'disqualify' me by the lawyers :D

oyarde
07-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Specs , why would you need a degree for that anyway ??

specsaregood
07-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Specs , why would you need a degree for that anyway ??

What don't you "need" a degree for nowadays?
I'd think as long as you could pass a test would be ok with me. But that is why I said "with the equivalent of an associates degree" in the OP.

oyarde
07-08-2011, 10:38 AM
I was just wondering how that would be helpful ....

Bern
07-08-2011, 10:39 AM
They already exist and they are called old people.

oyarde
07-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Whenever I fill out my form and mail it in , I was sure I would never be called . I told the truth on all of the questions and elaborated a bit . One of my favorite questions was "do you own stock in insurance companies ?" , probably every American with a 401 k does....

PaulConventionWV
07-08-2011, 10:49 AM

But I'm sure you wouldn't be the one choosing. That's why hoping for some "professional" to come in and be your hero is a lost cause. This is the one excuse that is always made for government intervention and more cronyism. "Professionals" are becoming the source of tyranny for us. Don't question the "professionals" or else you might be labeled a heretic. Don't question the economic model, don't question the global warming consensus, etc... it's a very slippery slope, man.

PaulConventionWV
07-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Fair enough. The other view is it might give another way for civil liberty minded people to fight back rather than becoming attorneys doing pro-bono work, writers or activists holding signs.

Liberty-minded people can only fill in so many government spots. The concept of a jury right now is quite adequate. The sample is random and it's people like you that can understand you, not people hand-selected by the government who get paid to be "fair."

cjm
07-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Is this a state operated jury? or some kind of anarcho-capitalist private jury?

specsaregood
07-08-2011, 10:56 AM
The concept of a jury right now is quite adequate. The sample is random and it's people like you that can understand you, not people hand-selected by the government who get paid to be "fair."

That is where I disagree. They are not people like me; the people like me are at work during the day. How many of the people that end up on the juries nowadays could tell you what the Bill of Rights are? Let alone have read them at least once in their adult life?

But hey, we can discuss in the other thread. This thread assumes a professional jury system exists. IF we did have such a system would YOU consider becoming a professional juror?

PaulConventionWV
07-08-2011, 11:02 AM
That is where I disagree. They are not people like me; the people like me are at work during the day. How many of the people that end up on the juries nowadays could tell you what the Bill of Rights are? Let alone have read them at least once in their adult life?

But hey, we can discuss in the other thread. This thread assumes a professional jury system exists. IF we did have such a system would YOU consider becoming a professional juror?

Like pcosmar said, hell no!

specsaregood
07-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Like pcosmar said, hell no!

Well at least you didn't choose the current 2nd place option! :)