PDA

View Full Version : Family fights government over rare ‘Double Eagle’ gold coins

sailingaway
07-07-2011, 09:55 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/family-fights-government-over-rare-double-eagle-gold-151853030.html

A jeweler's heirs are fighting the United States government for the right to keep a batch of rare and valuable "Double Eagle" $20 coins that date back to the Franklin Roosevelt administration. It's just the latest coin controversy to make headlines.

Philadelphian Joan Langbord and her sons say they found the 10 coins in 2003 in a bank deposit box kept by Langbord's father, Israel Switt, a jeweler who died in 1990. But when they tried to have the haul authenticated by the U.S. Treasury, the feds, um, flipped.

They said the coins were stolen from the U.S. Mint back in 1933, and are the government's property. The Treasury Department seized the coins, and locked them away at Fort Knox. The court battle is set to kick off this week.

The rare coins (pictured), first struck in 1850, show a flying eagle on one side and a figure representing liberty on the other. One such coin recently sold at auction for $7.6 million, meaning the Langbords' trove could be worth as much as $80 million.
The coins are part of a batch that were struck but then melted down after President Roosevelt took the country off the gold standard in 1933, during the Great Depression. Two were given to the Smithsonian Institute, but a few more mysteriously escaped.
The government has long beleived that Switt schemed with a corrupt cashier at the Mint to swipe the coins. They note that the deposit box in which the coins were found was rented six years after Switt's death, and that the family never paid inheritance tax on the coins.

A lawyer for the Langbords counters that the coins could have left the Mint legally since it was permissible to swap gold coins for gold bullion.

more at link

Travlyr
07-07-2011, 10:03 AM
But when they tried to have the haul authenticated by the U.S. Treasury

Seriously? Man, some people's kids... sheesh.
"Hey, Timmy... what do you think of these coins!?!"
Timmy - "Pretty dang nice... leave em here and we'll get back to ya."

Again, the free market would have been a better choice. ;)

Bruno
07-07-2011, 10:05 AM
They didn't pay inheritance tax on them? Oh, the shame!! /s

sailingaway
07-07-2011, 10:06 AM

How could they when they didn't know what they were worth? When they went to find out.... well... that's what the article is about.

Krugerrand
07-07-2011, 10:08 AM

Okay - tack on $20 for each coin to whatever the estate was valued at. That's what Uncle Sam printed on them for their value - and Uncle Sam wouldn't lie.

robertwerden
07-07-2011, 10:16 AM
This is an outrage. The statute of limitations has clearly expired and the family is entitled to keep their coins. I'm sure a collector will pay them the 80 million just because they have been sitting untouched in the safety deposit box for so long.
I will be following this story.

Brian4Liberty
07-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Someone stole a Picasso in SF this week. Wonder if his kids will one day go to the authorities to get it appraised? ;)

oyarde
07-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Seriousy , who in right mind would ask the Treasury to authenticate those coins??

RonPaulCult
07-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Why would anybody pay 7.8 million dollars for a freakin' COIN!

HOLLYWOOD
07-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Why would anybody pay 7.8 million dollars for a freakin' COIN!Supply and Demand... Free Markets

What the bastards at the US Treasury use their lawyered-up department to find some government "Collectivist ruling" and hand the family $20 FRNs to replace the Gold Eagles face value.

ctiger2
07-07-2011, 10:32 AM
They'll never get those coins back. NEVER. As the saying goes "A Fool And His Money Are Soon Parted"

eric_cartman
07-07-2011, 10:35 AM

people pay all sorts of money for things.... look at how much people spend on paintings and other types of art. look how much people pay for baseball cards and all these other random collectibles. if i was a billionaire, i would probably rather buy this coin than a nice painting.... people collect coins just like baseball cards, and coins are way cooler IMO

angelatc
07-07-2011, 10:45 AM
This is an outrage. The statute of limitations has clearly expired and the family is entitled to keep their coins. I'm sure a collector will pay them the 80 million just because they have been sitting untouched in the safety deposit box for so long.
I will be following this story.

That's not true. While the thief can't be prosecuted, the victim never loses title.

Krugerrand
07-07-2011, 11:01 AM
That's not true. While the thief can't be prosecuted, the victim never loses title.

It sure seems to me that one must have to prove ownership before the guys with guns should be allowed to swoop in and take ownership.

Chester Copperpot
07-07-2011, 11:24 AM
The treasury wont really ever get that $80 million either.. What will happen will be what happened last time..

The treasurer of the US will take a $20 bill out of his wallet and give it to the treasury.. that way the country doesnt get screwed out of its $20.. Then he will take the coin from the treasury and exchange it for a $7+million check.. He will give that check to some agency that needs the funds...

Thats basically what happened back when the other coin was told back in clinton's administration.. I think they even split half the proceeds with the guy who had the coin back then.. they claimed his was stolen too.. but there were only 1 or 2 believed to be in existence then.

Cowlesy
07-07-2011, 11:28 AM
The family's story about how they came into possession of the coins sounds pretty shake too tbh.

AGRP
07-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Gee. I wonder why they don't flip over their own fraudulent currency.

Acala
07-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Seriousy , who in right mind would ask the Treasury to authenticate those coins??

^this.

It is an analogue to the rule against ever calling the police unless you are willing to have everyone on the scene killed.

Gumba of Liberty
07-07-2011, 01:33 PM

"Why would anybody pay 7.8 million papiermarks for a freakin' COIN!" - Germany 1918

Aratus
07-08-2011, 03:18 PM
under FDR a great many similar coins were melted down. ^say again...?^

BUSHLIED
07-08-2011, 03:28 PM
the government would have to prove that those specific coins were stolen...although they could easily concoct that "Fact"...by by coins...only suckers trust their government