PDA

View Full Version : Chalk Roads with 'Google Ron Paul' ect??

Mark
10-31-2007, 07:10 AM

I know that 'destuctive/illegal' promotions are taboo for sure..

but..

what about using.. non-toxic.. non-permanent chalk to write on roads?

Like.. on a busy 'rush hour' road.. at night.. when it's safe to be on the road..

writing..BIG.. 'Google Ron Paul" ect

this would be something that would wear/wash off eventually..
i.e. non-destructive/non-permanent.. so..
I don't THINK the campaign would mind

Good idea? Yes, No, maybe?

Roxi
10-31-2007, 07:11 AM
some of our group has been chalking TU campus for a while now and its gone great

CodeMonkey
10-31-2007, 07:21 AM
It's common to do it on college campuses but out in public areas it might be mistaken for vandalism.

Mark
10-31-2007, 07:21 AM

some of our group has been chalking TU campus for a while now and its gone great

Thanks Roxic.. a couple of blocks from me is a VERY busy road..
especially rush hours with many political types going downtown..

If I can be stealth enough.. maybe enough "google Ron Paul"s on the roads
will get some TV news attention too.. I doubt but ya neva know..

maybe some color chalk too.. red, white, blue too..

Mark
10-31-2007, 07:25 AM
It's common to do it on college campuses but out in public areas it might be mistaken for vandalism.

Yeah.. that's my concern..

I'd rather NOT do something if it might cause bad publicity.

I was hoping using chalk would be ok since it washes off..

the NCSU campus is a few blocks away too.. I could go there..

Zarxrax
10-31-2007, 07:31 AM
There was recently a story in the news about a little girl drawing with chalk on the sidewalk, and the authorities informed the girls parent that it was vandalism.

Mark
10-31-2007, 07:35 AM
There was recently a story in the news about a little girl drawing with chalk on the sidewalk, and the authorities informed the girls parent that it was vandalism.

OUCH... hmmm.. I suppose I could check the law.. but.. now that I think of it..
it probably IS some kind of illegal thing.. else..
people would be doing it all the time for many things..

I think I'll 'pass' on chalking roads.. it'd be nice advertisment.. but..
not worth the risk of bad publicity ect..

Thanks for the imput y'all.. maybe the campus.. but no roads..

margomaps
10-31-2007, 08:01 AM
UNH here in NH seems to be chalked w/ Ron Paul stuff all the time. Good job to whoever's doing it!

I think this sort of behavior is more accepted on college campuses than anywhere else.

Brinck Slattery
10-31-2007, 08:04 AM

Guess whose strict, Disneyland laws guaranteed that police harassment? I'll give you a hint - his city's initials are NYC

Hurricane Bruiser
10-31-2007, 08:22 AM
I think the chalking idea is great and chalk will wash off fairly quickly.

BrianH
10-31-2007, 08:30 AM
I had a very touching reply from the MySpace effort - a guy said he went to a big football game and had to walk miles to the game as the crowds were so big. He kept seeing "google Ron Paul" chalked on the sidewalk and was impressed with the passion behind this effort. When he got home he googled Ron Paul, found some great YouTubes and said he is 31 years old and it brought tears to his eyes! Now he is promoting Ron Paul to all his customers at work!

So my guess is if you choose a big crowded event like this, when everyone is feeling good and feeling like celebrating then most people will not be offended to see chalk like this. A few will of course, but you can't please everyone!

Good luck!

Blowback
10-31-2007, 10:24 AM
I almost got arrested chalking Seattle U. with spray-chalk... that really sucked. I guess if you're a student at the school (which I was not) you can get approval to chalk it.

Careful with the spray-chalk though, cops don't think it's chalk...

Tidewise
10-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Stop groveling for a approval from the authorities. Read and understand the First Amendment to the Constitution. (After all, aren't we supporting the Champion of the Constitution?). A law that is repugnant to the constitution is as null and as void as though it never existed.

Did Thomas Paine and Sam Adams and the rest of the founders worry about what crown rule they might be breaking? Hell no, they had a Boston Tea Party.

Our liberty and the liberty of our children is on the line.

Chalk doesn't hurt anything. Get the message out.

Shaun
10-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Sponsor a persons forehead! Put his name and logo in a temporary tatto and have other people sponsor the person "renting" their head space. A person with a lot of visibility in their daily life would command more of a premium for the rent paid. It could be a useful fund raiser and would certainly hit the MSM, particularly if you can get the VERY old to do it. That's the key, the very old need a tattoo on their forehead...younger supporters then sponsor..

jmdrake
10-31-2007, 01:21 PM
It's called "sidewalk chalk" for a reason. Perfectly fine to do.

Flirple
10-31-2007, 08:50 PM
I think chalking in the road is a good idea. I would try to keep the writing between where the car tires tend to run over so that part of the words don't get worn away before other parts do. The difficult part would be to find the perfect time and place to do it so that you would have enough time to make an easily readable big-lettered masterpiece without being seen or run over by a car. I would definitely stay away from intersections for your safety as well as the safety of drivers.

I'm sure this is a fuzzy area legally in most cities. I certainly don't see this as a first amendment issue though. It is the sort of thing you should maybe do but don't overdo it to the point that you start annoying the public and create an incentive for the police to come looking for who is doing it.

Mark
11-01-2007, 02:36 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Yeah.. maybe.. a few selected areas (non- road-spam-like)
tastefully done will do the trick..

VERY cheap advertising.. (cost of chalk).. and definitely eye-catching..

maybe... middle of the night type thing..

and scout out a hiding place for when cars go by for stealthiness.. ;)

I can see the headlines now..

"Mystery Person(s) Chalking "Google Ron Paul" all over town" :cool: :p :D

James R
11-01-2007, 02:41 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Yeah.. maybe.. a few selected areas (non- road-spam-like)
tastefully done will do the trick..

VERY cheap advertising.. (cost of chalk).. and definitely eye-catching..

maybe... middle of the night type thing..

and scout out a hiding place for when cars go by for stealthiness.. ;)

I can see the headlines now..

"Mystery Person(s) Chalking "Google Ron Paul" all over town" :cool: :p :D

What does this story about sidewalk chalk say about Rudi Guiliani?
http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/30/40/30_40graffitigirl.html

To the average American... a cute kid drawing on the sidewalk with chalk... to Rudi Guiliani, a vandal who must be punished immediately.

Mark
11-01-2007, 02:55 AM
What does this story about sidewalk chalk say about Rudi Guiliani?
http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/30/40/30_40graffitigirl.html

Yeah... I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to avoid ANYTHING that might give
the opposition ammunition..

better to stand with a sign during rush hour than give an excuse to the 'critics'..

there IS a VERY busy rush-hour road that's quiet at night near here..

Maybe... just that one.. and not spam everywhere.. that might be viewed as
'interesting' verses vandalism/spam..

You know.. not 'overdo it'.. to where it becomes an issue ect..

LibertyEagle
11-01-2007, 04:29 AM

I agree. I would not do this. College campuses is one thing, but I would not suggest doing this elsewhere.

How about standing at the intersection and offering Slim Jims?