PDA

View Full Version : ‘That’s Racist’ - The accusation becomes a punch line.

Zatch
07-06-2011, 07:49 PM
JONAH GOLDBERG

JULY 6, 2011 12:00 A.M. | National Review

‘That’s Racist’
The accusation becomes a punch line.

‘That’s racist.”

It’s a comedic catchphrase these days, popularized by an online clip from a 2005 TV show Wonder Showzen on MTV2. It’s not as iconic as Gary Coleman’s “What ’chu talkin’ ’bout, Willis?” or Fonzie’s “Ayyyyyy” or even Bart Simpson’s “Don’t have a cow, man.” But what it lacks in pedigree, it makes up for in ubiquity and social relevance.

Across the country, it’s a staple of schoolyards, Internet discussion groups, Twitter, and sitcoms.
For instance, when a character on NBC’s Parks and Recreation explains to a co-worker how to do laundry, he says, “Okay, so you always separate your lights from your darks.”

She responds, “That’s racist.”

Perhaps the greatest sign that the punch line has gone mainstream came last week when NPR’s All Things Considered reported on “that’s racist.” Correspondent Neda Ulaby explored how a phrase once considered one of the most serious accusations possible has become a gag line. The only problem? It’s not clear she actually gets the joke... [Read the rest here] (http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/271109/s-racist-jonah-goldberg)

//

Zatch
07-06-2011, 09:41 PM
bump

dejavu22
07-06-2011, 10:26 PM
I dont know this has been a joke between my friends for a long time. (note only one person in the group is black) but if anyone says anything that can be turned back on the asker the generally accepted response is "Is this because I'm black, man that's racist."

newyearsrevolution08
07-06-2011, 10:38 PM
We are becoming so pc I don't think we will even be able to describe people anymore as ANYTHING.

Call me a cracker, then ask me if I care....

that racist shit is LAUGHABLE. All races have easy and FUNNY ways to make fun of them and who cares?

It is nothing but WORDS....

Someone can call me ANYTHING but until they TOUCH or come at me, I could care less.

If someone is racist and talks shit, uses racist remarks, I don't care those are just words from one person. It doesn't offend me in the least and the way I look at it is simple, say some shit and many times you are fine but every once in awhile you get the shit kicked out of you for running your mouth.

I think like liberty and the ability to decide what you can put in your mouth, I also think you should be able to decide what comes out of it as well. Why censor someone just because it is against your race? Its not a personal attack and most racists simply talk shit and then grow up OR feel it is something they MUST do ie: marry within their race etc.

BTW why is it wrong to want to marry within your race, as if saying those words is evil now. What is wrong with keeping your heritage if youy so choose?

While many scream liberty, I am not sure if everyone realizes what all we would be legalizing. TRUE FREEDOM OF SPEECH is a fuckin powerful thing and I think many in America would be SHOCKED at the speeches many would love to make if possible. I say lets hear it all.

I want to hear everything that people feel needs to be said because right now, everyone is so pc it is fucking LAUGHABLE.

I would love to hear why someone hates me, my race, my whatever. Shit by all means explain it. I know in here some people don't like my marketing methods and or ideas. WHO CARES.

BE YOURSELF BUT A SUGGESTION

If you think you need to be a racist here is ONE THOUGHT I want to leave with you.

"Why HATE on someone who is trying to enjoy their liberty just as much as you?"

maybe JUST maybe the shit you were fed isn't 100% correct, just like the msm and their portrail of soon to be President Ron Paul

just some thoughts I tossed out

MikeStanart
07-06-2011, 11:25 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/002/135/sw50sw8sw578.gif?1293729577