PDA

View Full Version : No Cursing in VA Beach?

Mr.Magnanimous
07-06-2011, 03:08 PM

Dr.3D
07-06-2011, 03:09 PM
They had better come up with a list of banned words.

brushfire
07-06-2011, 03:12 PM
ahhh fuck em...

Dr.3D
07-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Maybe they didn't want to put the word "shit" on the sign so they just put those other symbols. Maybe the sign just says "No shit".

AZKing
07-06-2011, 03:15 PM
It's like being in elementary school again. What are they gonna do, give me detention?

Mr.Magnanimous
07-06-2011, 03:17 PM

Dr.3D
07-06-2011, 03:18 PM
^^^My first reaction. Apparently they've had these for a while, I know at least since 2005. But isn't cursing pretty objective

Very, even the FCC won't come up with a list of objectionable words. They tend to leave that up to the community and even then it is often subject to the time of day.

specsaregood
07-06-2011, 03:21 PM
^^^My first reaction. Apparently they've had these for a while, I know at least since 2005. But isn't cursing pretty objective

Yeah, at least since 2001.

Kords21
07-06-2011, 03:26 PM
http://youtu.be/dz4HEEiJuGo

The future ladies and gentlemen

Napoleon's Shadow
07-06-2011, 03:28 PM
What does the statue actually say?

Napoleon's Shadow
07-06-2011, 03:32 PM
http://youtu.be/dz4HEEiJuGo

The future ladies and gentlemen
Wow, GREAT clip!

Kords21
07-06-2011, 03:34 PM
The first part of the clip where Sandra Bullock's charcter is running down the list of banned things could be ripped from the headlines today.

Echoes
07-06-2011, 03:36 PM
ahhh fuck em...

I hardly ever curse, but im with you here.

Dr.3D
07-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Well, let's listen and find out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp2qu9BuGYs&feature=related
:D

Dr.3D
07-06-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry, just couldn't help myself.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Maybe they didn't want to put the word "shit" on the sign so they just put those other symbols. Maybe the sign just says "No shit".

From government? lol

aGameOfThrones
07-06-2011, 04:03 PM
http://growabrain.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/cursing.jpg

How is this allowed? I've been in Virginia, and they have these signs posted everywhere in Virginia Beach. You can be fined for cursing. Personally, I find the law rather vague, and that sign just means to me no swirly lines, lightning bolts, or pound signs.

It probably means, "don't hate taxes".

Philhelm
07-06-2011, 05:21 PM
It's like being in elementary school again. What are they gonna do, give me detention?

No, they'll steal your money and possibly throw you into a dungeon. If you attempt to resist, they just might kill you on the spot.

Kords21
07-06-2011, 05:26 PM
<sarcasm>Silly American, don't you know that only terroists curse? </sarcasm> Next think you know, the TSA will be on the listen for curse words

dannno
07-06-2011, 05:39 PM

Did you mean statute?

VBRonPaulFan
07-06-2011, 07:08 PM
i've lived in VB pretty much all my life (I actually live the next county over now, but I work at the oceanfront where this is enforced). this law is completely asinine, but it is a last ditch attempt by the local government at trying to 'reclaim' the oceanfront. they want it to be a kids/family friendly place. however, in the last 10 years it has gotten pretty goddamn bad at the oceanfront at night. a few bars on one block bring a lot of family unfriendly people around. mostly drunk navy assholes and ghetto jerkoffs that want to fight everyone or cause problems. when they put this in, they did a lot of other crap down there to try to revitalize the area but it didn't really work. the tourist industry there is way down and I don't really see it coming back like it was. the ticket itself is only like 40 or 50 bucks. you might be able to fight it, but i doubt you'd be able to get out of it.

oh yeah, some other fun 'laws' they put in about the same time that I can think of:
no "cruising" on the strip. a lot of car clubs used to like to get together and ride up/down the strip. it's about an 8 mile long strip of road that runs parallel to the ocean and its a 25mph speed limit. you used to be able to sit down there and see some pretty badass cars driving back and forth. can't do that now. if a cop singles you out and sees you make more than a pass or two they can give you a ticket.... lawl.

no drinking in public. pretty crazy for being an ocean/beach destination. can't even sit on the beach and drink a beer.

basically everywhere down there is no skateboarding anymore. it isn't a city ordinance, but they will kick your ass out of anywhere really quick now.

not sure if this passed or not, but they were trying to make everywhere at the oceanfront no smoking as well. i don't smoke and I don't go down there to party... so I can't recall if this went through or not.

Dr.3D
07-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Did you mean statute?

That would be my guess, but I just to be a jerk and post that video.

Nic
07-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Yea they've pretty much taken all the fun out of the ocean front over the past few years. I used to go down there a lot, but it's gone down hill to the point where I haven't bothered in a while.

BlackTerrel
07-06-2011, 07:27 PM
This has been around for a long time.

I remember thinking it was a joke when I first heard it.

Velho
07-06-2011, 11:16 PM
WTF?! :confused: Welcome to the Nazi land of the 21st century.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-08-2011, 07:14 AM
i've lived in VB pretty much all my life (I actually live the next county over now, but I work at the oceanfront where this is enforced). this law is completely asinine, but it is a last ditch attempt by the local government at trying to 'reclaim' the oceanfront. they want it to be a kids/family friendly place. however, in the last 10 years it has gotten pretty goddamn bad at the oceanfront at night. a few bars on one block bring a lot of family unfriendly people around. mostly drunk navy assholes and ghetto jerkoffs that want to fight everyone or cause problems. when they put this in, they did a lot of other crap down there to try to revitalize the area but it didn't really work. the tourist industry there is way down and I don't really see it coming back like it was. the ticket itself is only like 40 or 50 bucks. you might be able to fight it, but i doubt you'd be able to get out of it.

oh yeah, some other fun 'laws' they put in about the same time that I can think of:
no "cruising" on the strip. a lot of car clubs used to like to get together and ride up/down the strip. it's about an 8 mile long strip of road that runs parallel to the ocean and its a 25mph speed limit. you used to be able to sit down there and see some pretty badass cars driving back and forth. can't do that now. if a cop singles you out and sees you make more than a pass or two they can give you a ticket.... lawl.

no drinking in public. pretty crazy for being an ocean/beach destination. can't even sit on the beach and drink a beer.

basically everywhere down there is no skateboarding anymore. it isn't a city ordinance, but they will kick your ass out of anywhere really quick now.

not sure if this passed or not, but they were trying to make everywhere at the oceanfront no smoking as well. i don't smoke and I don't go down there to party... so I can't recall if this went through or not.

They pretty much outlawed everything I'd want to see there. :(

DamianTV
07-08-2011, 05:05 PM
WTF?! :confused: Welcome to the Nazi land of the 21st century.

Nazi's of the 21st Century are much much worse. They hide behind children, read from a 2nd Set of Law Books that YOU dont have access to, and will kill you if you whip out a copy of Tom Sawyer. Your crime? Nothing. You are just a way to make more money for the state. Taxation by Citation. Now, how about we pass a law that says No Sneezing in Public...

speciallyblend
07-08-2011, 06:50 PM

originally from va beach myself brandon jr high and green run;) lived at the beach and moved to colorado years back. i would never move back to the communistwealth of viriginia!! The last time we visited my hometown we got robbed at the oceanfront outside of a club walking to my hotel. welcome home! screw VB!!

speciallyblend
07-08-2011, 06:51 PM

originally from va beach myself brandon jr high and green run;) lived at the oceanfront and moved to colorado years back. i would never move back to the communistwealth of viriginia!! The last time we visited my hometown we got robbed at the oceanfront outside of a club walking to my hotel. welcome home! screw VB!! ps when i lived there you could skateboard anywhere on the strip!! seems like va beach went insane!!

DamianTV
07-08-2011, 07:38 PM
I swear that if ANY of us lived in another country for a minimum of 6 months, none of us would ever even consider returning to the US by choice.