PDA

View Full Version : Obama asks Texas to spare convicted Mexican, killer/rapist.

VerlieJoy
07-06-2011, 02:42 PM
http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/07/in_a_death_penalty_case_texas_battles_mexico_washi ngton_and_the_world.html

Please...share your thoughts....

TheDrakeMan
07-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Typical liberals.

V3n
07-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Bowing to the Mexican government just like he's bowed to every other foreign power.

Brian4Liberty
07-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Yet Obama has no problem killing innocent people (collateral damage) every day of the week with his wars and not-so-surgical strikes.

This guy had all of the rights granted to your average US citizen. Where was his public defender? Or do illegal aliens somehow get more rights than a US citizen?

Being opposed to the death penalty (on the grounds that the system is incompetent), I can't get too excited about not killing the guy though.

Pericles
07-07-2011, 10:30 PM
No need to do spare him, we have plenty more from where we got him.

Tarzan
07-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Fry him!!!

lethal injection in Texas... but you get the idea

BlackTerrel
07-07-2011, 10:42 PM
How do you know he did it?

Feeding the Abscess
07-07-2011, 10:45 PM
This is actually extremely bad precedent. We're setting the stage for a foreign country to tell us to go fuck ourselves if a fellow citizen is stuck in a hole somewhere, and have legal standing for it.

Yet again, Gov. Hair has proven himself to be a braying idiot.

Dr.3D
07-07-2011, 11:02 PM
This is actually extremely bad precedent. We're setting the stage for a foreign country to tell us to go fuck ourselves if a fellow citizen is stuck in a hole somewhere, and have legal standing for it.

Yet again, Gov. Hair has proven himself to be a braying idiot.
They already do that.

dannno
07-07-2011, 11:15 PM

Many of the posters so far just happen to have been on the jury and heard all the evidence.

Brian4Liberty
07-07-2011, 11:23 PM

We don't. But in the eyes of the law he's guilty, and that's the relevant opinion.

I oppose the death penalty based on the imperfections (false guilty verdicts) inherent in the system, and additionally on how expensive the whole process is compared to just prison time. Being in line with international standards would also be a concern, although a lower priority than then the other two reasons.

White Bear Lake
07-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Obama wanted to stop this to appease the Mexican government so they'll stay quiet on Gunwalker.

BamaAla
07-08-2011, 02:12 AM
The court denied barry's appeal and Texas did him. I don't want to gloat when a person is dead, so I'll just say Texas did the right thing in my humble opinion.

VerlieJoy
07-08-2011, 11:15 AM
What bothers me the most about all of this was that Obama was trying to interfere with a state's law. Had he succeeded in his attempt it may have started a domino effect, leading him to interfere in other state's affairs. While I would never celebrate the death of another person, I am very satisfied with the supreme court's decision. They voted 5 to 4 yesterday that Obama could not intervene.

Cowlesy
07-08-2011, 11:18 AM

A jury convicted him, her head was smashed in with a 40lbs piece of concrete and he arrived at his brother's house covered in blood and high on drugs and he changed his stories once he found out his brother ratted him out.

Slutter McGee
07-08-2011, 11:28 AM
I am happy. One more scumbag bastard off this earth.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Echoes
07-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Obama takes orders from the UN, the Araba League, other Govts...everyone...but, he can consult with Congress to go to war.

Zatch
07-08-2011, 11:48 AM

I believe the dispute was over the punishment not whether he did it. Mexico is just against the death penalty.

In a last statement provided by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, Leal Garcia apologized to the victim's family and asked for their forgiveness.

"I truly am sorry. That is all. Let's get this show on the road," Leal Garcia said, according to the transcript. "One more thing, Viva Mexico, Viva Mexico."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/08/us-execution-texas-idUSTRE7667FG20110708

Dr.3D
07-08-2011, 11:56 AM
What bothers me the most about all of this was that Obama was trying to interfere with a state's law. Had he succeeded in his attempt it may have started a domino effect, leading him to interfere in other state's affairs. While I would never celebrate the death of another person, I am very satisfied with the supreme court's decision. They voted 5 to 4 yesterday that Obama could not intervene.

What about those other four. It's obvious there is still something wrong with the Supreme Court if they couldn't come up with a 9 to 0 decision.

LibertyEagle
07-08-2011, 11:59 AM
"One more thing, Viva Mexico, Viva Mexico."

If he wanted to "Viva Mexico", why in hell was he in our country anyway? This kind of thing irritates me so badly. No wonder our country is going completely to hell in a handbasket.

Zippyjuan
07-08-2011, 12:07 PM
How would you respond to an American being held in a prison in another country and not being allowed (or even told he can) contact a US Consulate- and be facing possible execution in that country?

Should add that I oppose the death penalty. It is not really an effective deterrent to crime. Texas executes more prisioners than any other state but still has an an above average (for the US) violent crime rate.

Krugerrand
07-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Why was the pres not able to issue a pardon if that's what he wanted?

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Obama raped and is in the process of murdering our nation. They are like brothers.

Dr.3D
07-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Why was the pres not able to issue a pardon if that's what he wanted?

From what I understand, constitutionally, the President isn't allowed to issue a pardon, that is reserved for the governor of the state to do.

Liberty_Mike
07-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Although I don't "support" death and do not think the death penalty deters crime, I'm glad Perry followed through with this. This guy deserved to die. Raped and murdered a 16 year old girl by bashing her skull in. The US is better off without spending money to keep this guy alive in our prison system.

TheDrakeMan
07-08-2011, 01:03 PM
How would you respond to an American being held in a prison in another country and not being allowed (or even told he can) contact a US Consulate- and be facing possible execution in that country?

Should add that I oppose the death penalty. It is not really an effective deterrent to crime. Texas executes more prisioners than any other state but still has an an above average (for the US) violent crime rate.

It has nothing to do with the death penalty. Your point doesn't make sense. It has to do with a large, poor legal & illegal Hispanic population that statistically commits a disproportionate amount of crime (http://www.amren.com/features/hispanics/index.html). How do you know for sure the death penalty isn't curbing crime? What other state has that large of a hispanic population and uses the death penalty? Where is your evidence? As for American in a foreign jail, it's a totally different situation. Mexico is a rather irrelevant second world country, we are a superpower that has considerable weight around the world. If Mexico was trying to execute an American who may legitimately be innocent of a crime, there are literally a million different ways our country can punish them.

Feeding the Abscess
07-08-2011, 01:16 PM
They already do that.

Some do, yes, but it doesn't mean they're on the up and up when they do it.

Additionally, a free and just society shouldn't behave in such a manner.

Zippyjuan
07-08-2011, 01:23 PM
It has to do with a large, poor legal & illegal Hispanic population that statistically commits a disproportionate amount of crime. How do you know for sure the death penalty isn't curbing crime? What other state has that large of a hispanic population and uses the death penalty? Where is your evidence?

Actually illegal immigrants and immigrant communities in general tend to have LOWER crime rates than other similiar sized communities. So no, it is not about illegal immigration (though some try to make it that).
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/05/27/reading-ranting-and-arithmetic.html

A new study by sociologist Tim Wadsworth of the University of Colorado at Boulder carefully evaluates the various factors behind the statistics that show a massive drop in crime during the 1990s at a time when immigration rose dramatically. In a peer-reviewed paper appearing in the June 2010 issue of Social Science Quarterly, Wadsworth argues not only that “cities with the largest increases in immigration between 1990 and 2000 experienced the largest decreases in homicide and robbery,” which we knew, but that after considering all the other explanations, rising immigration “was partially responsible.”

The FBI numbers show that in the midst of the supposed crime wave, many other cities in the Southwest have had declines in crime similar to Phoenix. El Paso, Texas, just across the Rio Grande from a ferocious drug war in Juarez, where some 5,000 people have been murdered in recent years, saw almost no change in its own crime rate and remains one of the safest cities in the country, with only 12 murders last year. San Antonio saw violent crime drop from 9,699 incidents to 7,844; murders from 116 to 99. Compare that with a city like Detroit, which is a little bigger than El Paso and much smaller than San Antonio—and not exactly a magnet for job-seeking immigrants. Its murder rate went up from 323 in 2008 to 361 in 2009.

An older article:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1717575,00.html

Despite our melting-pot roots, Americans have often been quick to blame the influx of immigrants for rising crime rates. But new research released Monday shows that immigrants in California are, in fact, far less likely than U.S.-born Californians are to commit crime. While people born abroad make up about 35% of California's adult population, they account for only about 17% of the adult prison population, the report by the Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC) showed. Indeed, among men ages 18 to 40 — the demographic most likely to be imprisoned — those born in the U.S. were 10 times more likely than foreign-born men to be incarcerated.

"From a public safety standpoint, there would be little reason to limit immigration," says Kristin Butcher, an economics professor at Wellesley College and one of the report's authors.

The new report even bolsters claims by some academics that increased immigration makes the United States safer. A second study, released earlier this month by Washington-based nonprofit Immigration Policy Center, found that on the national level, U.S.-born men ages 18-39 are five times more likely to be incarcerated than are their foreign-born peers. And, while the number of illegal immigrants in the country doubled between 1994 and 2005, violent crime declined by nearly 35% and property crimes by 26% over the same period. The PPIC even determined that on average, between 2000 and 2005, cities such as Los Angeles that took in a higher share of recent immigrants saw their crime rates fall further than cities with a lower influx of illegals.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1717575,00.html#ixzz1RXkVxqoC

dannno
07-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Actually illegal immigrants and immigrant communities in general tend to have LOWER crime rates than other similiar sized communities. So no, it is not about illegal immigration (though some try to make it that).
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/05/27/reading-ranting-and-arithmetic.html

Ya I grew up within walking/biking distance of the biggest Mexican worker encampment in the U.S. There were thousands of them all living together up in the canyons. They even had their own restaurant up there and everything.

There was almost no crime where I grew up.. except one time we did have some guy come onto our balcony because the sliding door was open, but he fled when I walked by, and it was a white dude.

It's really a shame that people have such a negative view of illegal immigrants, they are actually very good people, not law breakers. Most of them were kicked off of their land by their government after our government forced them to change their Constitution under NAFTA.

It's tough to feel bad for this particular fellow, though.

Zippyjuan
07-08-2011, 01:34 PM
They don't want to cause trouble because they want their jobs and don't want to be deported so they avoid problems. This unfortunately can also make them more likely to be victims of crime and less likely to report it. Those with a green card or student visa also don't want to risk getting kicked out.

A bit more from my second link:

Sampson and colleagues recently examined more than 3,000 violent acts committed in Chicago from 1995 to 2003, analyzing police records, census data and a survey of more than 8,000 residents. They discovered what Sampson calls the "Latino Paradox" — first-generation Mexican immigrants were 45% less likely to engage in violence than third-generation Americans. This pattern continued into the second generation, which was 22% less likely to be violent. Similar trends have been seen in New York and Miami, both of which have large immigrant enclaves. "Immigrant communities are often responsible for revitalizing the urban neighborhoods that they live in," Sampson says. The irony of people's popular misconceptions, he adds, is "that the longer one is exposed to American culture, the more likely you are to participate in violence."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1717575,00.html#ixzz1RXn6dG7b

Slutter McGee
07-08-2011, 03:45 PM

If the American had been living their illegally since he was two, and had raped and killed a 16 year old girl, and their had been ridiculous amounts of evidence to prove it....I suppose I wouldn't care.

Slutter McGee

TheDrakeMan
07-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Reports are he shouted, "Viva Mexico" just before being executed.

TheDrakeMan
07-08-2011, 04:39 PM
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/05/27/r...rithmetic.html

That still misses my point. What ethnicity were these similar-sized communities? Were they also Hispanics that just happened to be born in America? What ethnicity are the immigrants? If they are just afraid of being deported, then what will happen to their kids & grandkids? If Hispanics don't commit a disproportionate amount of crime, then why

Zippyjuan
07-08-2011, 10:12 PM
That still misses my point. What ethnicity were these similar-sized communities? Were they also Hispanics that just happened to be born in America? What ethnicity are the immigrants? If they are just afraid of being deported, then what will happen to their kids & grandkids? If Hispanics don't commit a disproportionate amount of crime, then why

It has to do with a large, poor legal & illegal Hispanic population that statistically commits a disproportionate amount of crime.

Perhaps you could elaborate on what your point was and provide facts to support it. I gave links showing lower crime rates- not disportionately large ones- in cities with large legal and illegal Hispanic populations.

The cities cited with having large increases in immigrants but lower crime rates were Los Angeles, El Paso, and San Antonio. Where do you think the immigrants in those cities came from?

Were they also Hispanics that just happened to be born in America?

If they were born in the US, they would not be condsidered immigrants.

If Hispanics don't commit a disproportionate amount of crime, then why
Why do you think they may have a lower crime rate? I offered some thoughts on the matter in a previous post.

libertarian4321
07-10-2011, 05:36 AM
The cities cited with having large increases in immigrants but lower crime rates were Los Angeles, El Paso, and San Antonio. Where do you think the immigrants in those cities came from?

I live in San Antonio, which is majority Hispanic. I feel that it is a much safer city than many smaller cities in other parts of the country with low percentages of hispanics/immigrants.

Look at the murder rate in San Antonio compared to smaller cities like Detroit, Baltimore, Washington, Newark, Boston, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, St. Louis, Indianapolis, etc.

San Antonio has a much lower violent crime rate- yet has an extremely high percentage of immigrants (both legal and illegal).

If immigrants and/or Hispanics were such violent criminals, the streets of San Antonio should be running with blood, yet the opposite is true. You are far more likely to suffer a violent crime in one of the eastern cities with low percentages of Hispanics or immigrants.

BTW, even El Paso, a large city right on the order- that obviously has tons of immigrants, has low violent crime rates compared to most US large cities.

asurfaholic
07-10-2011, 06:09 AM
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates

Death penalty doesn't work for stopping violent crime, all it does is end a life. In the case of this man who raped and killed a young girl, it is safe to say that the death penalty was appropriate. My experience working with hispanics, is they are generally very respectful of the laws around them. Sure there's some bad apples - that much is true in all races.

angelatc
07-10-2011, 07:21 AM

I oppose the death penalty too, but pointing that out when people are discussing a crime as horrific as this one will never serve to change anybody's mind.

angelatc
07-10-2011, 07:22 AM
If the American had been living their illegally since he was two, and had raped and killed a 16 year old girl, and their had been ridiculous amounts of evidence to prove it....I suppose I wouldn't care.

Slutter McGee

Exactly.

angelatc
07-10-2011, 07:24 AM
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates

Death penalty doesn't work for stopping violent crime, all it does is end a life. In the case of this man who raped and killed a young girl, it is safe to say that the death penalty was appropriate. My experience working with hispanics, is they are generally very respectful of the laws around them.

If they're here illegally, it's hard to make the case that they've very respectful of the laws around them with a straight face, isn't it?

asurfaholic
07-10-2011, 07:31 AM
If they're here illegally, it's hard to make the case that they've very respectful of the laws around them with a straight face, isn't it?

I disagree, I would say it elevates their motivation to follow laws - to avoid getting caught at the very least. But I don't even think that is the biggest motivation - hispanics are very respectful of authority by nature. I would encourage you to talk to some of these people. Just because they are here illegally doesn't mean they are actively involved in doing illegal things - they took a risk so they could live a better life. Look at mexico, would YOU want to live there???

angelatc
07-10-2011, 07:34 AM
. Just because they are here illegally doesn't mean they are actively involved in doing illegal things...

Actually, it does.

asurfaholic
07-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Actually, it does.

So whatever, thats what you believe. I don't believe it, and I have lots of experience in working around them and with them. Very stereotypical, I am disappointed, but will not push the case any more. You should ask yourself a question. If a freer and greener country existed just north of the one you lived in. One that could provide you with work so you can provide everything your family needs and more, one that is free from police state, one that is everything you wish America was, but it you had to sneak over the border in order to live there, would you do it? You know, the one where Ron Paul is the leader, and there is peace and prosperity. Sound money, honest laws, honest people. Fantasy land, I know, but ask yourself this...

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-10-2011, 08:36 AM
If he's guilty beyond all reasonable doubt, he should have been shot as soon as the verdict was guilty. We don't need scum hopping over our borders to kill American citizens.

BarryDonegan
07-10-2011, 08:20 PM
I hate being that guy, but, the comma in the title makes it sound like the guy is convicted of being Mexican rather than being convicted of being a killer/rapist. HAHA

Johncjackson
07-10-2011, 11:18 PM
I disagree with the death penalty on principle. It's one of those things, I would include torture for example, a civilized nation should just not do. IMO. I understand many people may not agree with that when it comes to scary killer/rapists, but you may have heard that Ron Paul ( and many of his supporters) take principled stands on many issues and draw the line there. I also am very aware of many innocent people who were executed or came very close to being executed, and many cases where the government tried to refuse to not execute someone who they knew was innocent or could be proven innocent when allowed the evidence.

Frankly, a lot of the people screaming for the execution are no better than war mongers who wanted to go bomb someone because of 9/11.

Johncjackson
07-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Actually, it does.

And you probably commit a few felonies a day yourself, as do most people here.

Johncjackson
07-10-2011, 11:20 PM
I hate being that guy, but, the comma in the title makes it sound like the guy is convicted of being Mexican rather than being convicted of being a killer/rapist. HAHA

Well, many of the responses seem to consider that a worse "crime" ( or at least an influencing "character issue") than the actual crimes.