PDA

View Full Version : RON PAUL buys radio air time in IOWA

BUSHLIED
07-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Check it out: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/58402.html

$75,000 spent!! Do you think he should spend more?? One radio outlet per market? I don't know the cost in Iowa, 75K may go a long way.

AdamT
07-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Hell yeah. Curious to hear the ads.

Badger Paul
07-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Let the campaign do the radio ads. Grassroots does the TV ads and we'll all meet in the middle.

AdamT
07-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Let the campaign do the radio ads. Grassroots does the TV ads and we'll all meet in the middle.

Yep. This is playing out well.

Romulus
07-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Let Rand Pauls former ad team do ALL the ads!

libertybrewcity
07-06-2011, 10:36 AM
He is trying to get his name out there as an intro to the people. 75k is a great start because ads are way more effective the closer they are to the actual primary or straw poll date.

reduen
07-06-2011, 11:06 AM

Dude, I hate to be the one to tell you but you are simply barking up the wrong tree here. Agree with it or not, the show will go on....

Napoleon's Shadow
07-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Maybe the campaign isn't doing TV ads for a reason? Maybe they don't think TV ads are effective? If they aren't doing TV ads, there is probably a reason.

Dr.3D
07-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Not as many people listening to radio as there used to be. Of course television ads costs a lot more.

V3n
07-06-2011, 11:14 AM

I just misread you as "Ron Pauls former ad team" and had terrible visions of a lady shaking her head like a bird telling me "he's catching on"! :eek:

Which might also explain why Ron Paul's team believes TV ads are ineffective! When those are your ads!!

ChrisDixon
07-06-2011, 11:19 AM

$75,000 spent!! Do you think he should spend more?? One radio outlet per market? I don't know the cost in Iowa, 75K may go a long way.

How much more does he have to do before the grassroots is convinced he IS in this to WIN it? This is great!

PubliUS_CorneliUS_TacitUS
07-06-2011, 11:26 AM
For a republican primary and straw poll radio ads are probably the best fit. A TV ad blast would be effective but too widespread (think shotgun approach) whereas the radio ads are targeted to the desired audience (rifle approach). There are a lot more republicans who listen to talk radio throughout the day or on their commute than could be caught for the same money in TV ads. Just my opinion but this would seem to be a good use of the money.

specsaregood
07-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Not as many people listening to radio as there used to be. Of course television ads costs a lot more.

Less people watch tv in the summer though, probably more of the radio as they are out an about.

Dr.3D
07-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Less people watch tv in the summer though, probably more of the radio as they are out an about.

Yeah, it's just that I can't remember the last time I listened to the radio. But of course, I don't do much driving either.

angelatc
07-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah, it's just that I can't remember the last time I listened to the radio. But of course, I don't do much driving either.

Me either. BUt my husband works in an environment where the radio is on all day and he listens in the car when he's driving to and from work, too. So.....

Maximus
07-06-2011, 12:02 PM
This is fantastic, the people interested in politics are listening to the radio.

LibertyEagle
07-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Which might also explain why Ron Paul's team believes TV ads are ineffective! When those are your ads!!

No, they have looked at the demographics for likely Republican voters.

SamuraisWisdom
07-06-2011, 12:33 PM
How much more does he have to do before the grassroots is convinced he IS in this to WIN it? This is great!

To me, personally, it all comes down to debate performance. That's where names are made and poll numbers are gained.

TheTyke
07-06-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm pretty sure Rand's ad agency is working for him.... some clips in Ron's appeal looked like their work. Hopefully it will be boiled down to some purely awesome snippets as they did for KY :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVorVi8gCJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APq-a7m2lYE

Romulus
07-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Lets hope so!

07-06-2011, 02:45 PM
He is trying to get his name out there as an intro to the people. 75k is a great start because ads are way more effective the closer they are to the actual primary or straw poll date.

Right, I would imagine at this point the campaign is trying to nudge general support a few points more favorable with this early buy. Perhaps make people more "aware" of Ron Paul so that the next time they hear his name mentioned, perhaps by Jan Mickelson or something like that, they will notice.

Otherwise, early ad buys really have no effect upon the election.

newyearsrevolution08
07-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I think those with advert skills should come up with a great idea to present for judging and then we could always chip in or money bomb that thing to be EVERYWHERE.

I also think going with a PROVEN marketing firm WITH PROVEN conversion ratios from previous winning campaigns should also be tested. They have PROVEN track records of creating amazing ads that convert or so it seems.

Badger Paul
07-06-2011, 02:51 PM
"Maybe the campaign isn't doing TV ads for a reason? Maybe they don't think TV ads are effective? If they aren't doing TV ads, there is probably a reason."

Fine then. They can do they want. And the grassroots can do what it wants.

Isn't living in a free country great?

PastaRocket848
07-06-2011, 02:52 PM
why not just chip in to run the high tide youtube video in early primary states? nobody is going to come up with anything better than that.

zerosdontcount
07-06-2011, 03:35 PM
I love the high tide ad, and would love to see it on TV!

sailingaway
07-06-2011, 03:38 PM

I'm sure the campaign will deal with that.

sailingaway
07-06-2011, 03:39 PM
I just misread you as "Ron Pauls former ad team" and had terrible visions of a lady shaking her head like a bird telling me "he's catching on"! :eek:

LOL! So did I.

sailingaway
07-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Right, I would imagine at this point the campaign is trying to nudge general support a few points more favorable with this early buy. Perhaps make people more "aware" of Ron Paul so that the next time they hear his name mentioned, perhaps by Jan Mickelson or something like that, they will notice.

Otherwise, early ad buys really have no effect upon the election.

Advertising now is focused on the straw poll, and on momentum, not really on the election.

sailingaway
07-06-2011, 03:41 PM
For a republican primary and straw poll radio ads are probably the best fit. A TV ad blast would be effective but too widespread (think shotgun approach) whereas the radio ads are targeted to the desired audience (rifle approach). There are a lot more republicans who listen to talk radio throughout the day or on their commute than could be caught for the same money in TV ads. Just my opinion but this would seem to be a good use of the money.

There are a lot of Republicans who don't listen to talk radio, ever, also. The ones who do are more likely to already have their mind made up, I would think.

specsaregood
07-06-2011, 03:50 PM
There are a lot of Republicans who don't listen to talk radio, ever, also. The ones who do are more likely to already have their mind made up, I would think.

Of course the article doesn't mention where they are advertising. It could be being spent on christian radio stations. That would have the markings of a doug wead strateg it would seem to me.