PDA

View Full Version : Lawyers : Protect IP act would align US with repressive regimes

Give me liberty
07-05-2011, 10:43 PM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/07/05/lawyers-protect-ip-act-would-align-u-s-with-repressive-regimes/

A group of Internet and intellectual property law professors have penned a letter to congressional lawmakers in opposition to the Protect IP Act, which would give the government sweeping new powers to take websites offline, censor search engines and sue Internet publishers accused of infringing activities.

In the letter, they warn that the act would "undermine" U.S. leadership on freedom of speech issues, cautioning that provisions within the legislation are more closely aligned with "repressive regimes" than the traditional American stance on Internet freedom.

They also predict that the Protect IP Act would threaten the security of the Internet at large, as it would give U.S. officials the authority to literally break the Internet's domain name system (DNS), which links servers to web domains for easy access to pages around the world.

The bill, sponsored and heavily promoted by the entertainment industries, would require Internet service providers and search engines to de-list whole domains on the basis of a copyright claim by a content provider. The claim does not have to be proven to an independent body for a site to be taken offline.

Sites that link to domains accused of hosting infringing activities could also be targeted for domain take-downs or other criminal penalties, and servers outside the U.S. are not exempt from the powers the Protect IP Act seeks to cement into law.

Because of the Internet's highly interwoven archetecture, the bill's broad language would "make it extraordinarily difficult for advertisers and credit card companies to do business on the Internet," the laywers warned.

First the streaming sites ban bill and now the protect IP is in waiting to debated and passed in secretly by the Senate.

I wonder how many ron pauls are in favor of the internet censorship bills?
S.978 Streaming site ban, sending people to jail

S 968 Protect IP complete internet censorship

This is a sad day for america and shame on you for those who are willing to support the internet censorship with the ridicules notion of the IPs, this wont help the maskers of music or any other branch of the entertainment sector.
It will help the companies and mega corporations.

asurfaholic
07-06-2011, 04:45 AM
Bump..

this is really important...

evilfunnystuff
07-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Bump.

asurfaholic
07-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Its funny how the media turns such a blind eye to these massive attacks on some things that we take for granted every day... If you get your news from anywhere other than MSN, you may not be able to soon. Brainwashing at its finest, allow no other sources of information to penetrate you. This is just the start...

TheViper
07-06-2011, 07:38 PM
As a webmaster myself with Intellectual Properties and trademarks, I want my Internet open and free of government intervention and intrusion.