PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul and Social Security

Kords21
07-05-2011, 10:28 PM
I was talking with my Mom abouthe field of candidates and she said the reason why she would never vote for Dr. Paul is because he wants to end Social Security, Medicaid and Meidicare. In her worldview as soon as Dr. Paul is sworn in, the elderly and sick would instantly be thrown in the streets. I tried to explain that that wasn't the case.

From my understanding of Dr. Paul's plan is to cut the overseas military spending, use that money to fund the programs and start a transistion phase where the young people opt out and over time the program goes away. If I'm wrong in that, please correct me.

At any rate, I feel that is is a big issue that Dr. Paul is going to have to overcome to get people to vote for him. What do you guys think?

TheViper
07-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Kords, you are correct regarding Dr. Paul's plan.

Educating those that are entrenched in the concepts of entitlements have always been the biggest hurdle to overcome.

sailingaway
07-05-2011, 10:32 PM
You are absolutely correct and that is major spin when they say that. It isn't 100% 'inaccurate' because he would let kids 'opt out' and assumes that would end it given how much evidence we've all had by now of what terrible money managers the government is. He discusses this a bit in the New Hampshire debate if you want to get the clips of only his answers off youtube for her. He also beats Cenk of Young Turks up with it but if you use that one it is right at the end, the last few minutes. He discussed it other places but those are two youtubes that are available.

Kords21
I thought I had his plan right. I looked on the campaign site under issues to send my Mom to, but couldn't find it. Maybe the campaign needs to add that to the list.

TCE
I was talking with my Mom abouthe field of candidates and she said the reason why she would never vote for Dr. Paul is because he wants to end Social Security, Medicaid and Meidicare. In her worldview as soon as Dr. Paul is sworn in, the elderly and sick would instantly be thrown in the streets. I tried to explain that that wasn't the case.

From my understanding of Dr. Paul's plan is to cut the overseas military spending, use that money to fund the programs and start a transistion phase where the young people opt out and over time the program goes away. If I'm wrong in that, please correct me.

At any rate, I feel that is is a big issue that Dr. Paul is going to have to overcome to get people to vote for him. What do you guys think?

You are correct on virtually all of your points. Dr. Paul definitely needs to articulate his points better regarding the entitlement programs as the issue can potentially be a devastating one if misunderstood.

Dr. Paul wants to end the drug war, the wars overseas, and eliminate several meaningless departments (education, DHS, etc) to make the programs soluble and usable to the people dependent on them now and in the near future. As for us, he would end the Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid Taxes and allow us to do whatever it is we wanted with our own money. Eventually these would be phased out, since it is clear that in their present form they are unsustainable. The programs would then be transferred to the states, and each state could decide what they wanted to implement. State Solution>Washington D.C. Solution.

sailingaway
07-05-2011, 10:36 PM
The campaign definitely needs a card. Just like last time they seem so concerned with making him seem like any other GOP candidate that they completely cover up the reasons to vote for him....... (slight exageration, maybe....)

TCE
07-05-2011, 10:41 PM
(slight exageration, maybe....)

I don't know what you're talking about, he was catchin' on. ;)

Kords21
07-05-2011, 10:46 PM
I sent her an e-mail with a link to the New Hampshire debate and a little paragraph explaining his posistion. I really don't understand how people can listen to Dr. Paul and not have the light bulb go off, I guess I've underestimated the power the corporate media and how they influence people. I guess that's what happens when you shut off the cable.

TheViper
07-05-2011, 10:57 PM
I thought I had his plan right. I looked on the campaign site under issues to send my Mom to, but couldn't find it. Maybe the campaign needs to add that to the list.

This is our big problem with his web site. It doesn't do enough to showcase his stance on the issues. He needs to do a mix of text and video for people to read and watch that delve into his ideas.

Or just buy his books for her. :)

Acala
07-06-2011, 09:36 AM
You might also point out to her that those programs are all broke and the benficiaries are SURE to be hosed if we don't do SOMETHING!

JamesButabi
07-06-2011, 09:53 AM
In my opinion this should be Ron Pauls number one issue. He should issue a press release, and address it affirmly in the Debate

"Im the only candidate who has been consistently against robbing entitlement funds to fund wars and big government. Im the only candidate with a plan to put the money back into Social Security and Healthcare obligations that the politicians in Washington have stolen. Yes it takes sacrifice, but the only way to save our system is take take bold action. I will do that as President."

HOLLYWOOD
07-06-2011, 10:06 AM
I thought I had his plan right. I looked on the campaign site under issues to send my Mom to, but couldn't find it. Maybe the campaign needs to add that to the list.This RP2012 campaign needs to get it PR and staffers in gear... NOW.

BTW, where did your Mom hear that RP wanted to cut out SS and throw the seniors to the streets?

Those sources spreading Falsehoods and Lies in this campaign 2012, need to be called-out with a vengeance.

Zippyjuan
07-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Ron has said he wants to allow "young people" to opt out of paying into Social Security. At the same time, he has also promised that he would honor the commitments to all the people who have qualified for getting any Social Security. I have one problem with this. How would he propose to pay the people who receive Social Security if young people are no longer contributing (expenses this year come from Social Security taxes collected this year). This would greatly expand the gap between what comes in and what goes out. That will mean you need money from someplace else- more government borrowing (bigger deficit) or higher taxes on something else- also things he has said he is against.

There is not enough money in "overseas" military to be able to cover the differences. In 2009, Social Security Taxes came to $924 million- the entire defense budget (including money spent at home) was $525 billion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_United_States_federal_budget

Ron Paul On the Issues (from the last presidential campaign): http://www.ontheissues.org/2012/Ron_Paul_Social_Security.htm

sailingaway
07-06-2011, 10:38 PM
This RP2012 campaign needs to get it PR and staffers in gear... NOW.

BTW, where did your Mom hear that RP wanted to cut out SS and throw the seniors to the streets?

Those sources spreading Falsehoods and Lies in this campaign 2012, need to be called-out with a vengeance.

It's all over. They tuck it in everywhere in an almost throw away line amongst other stuff, knowing those who care about it will pick up on it. I commented on a Huffpo article that said that, just yesterday, and it is all over the blogosphere.